Props to Cam Newton

Largent80

Reaction score
Denver isn't going to beat them with Manning at QB. Let's face it Newton had his best year, it's not even arguable.

12thbrah

Reaction score
Cam still hasn't won anything yet. I like having him and the Panthers around. After the 49ers died there hasn't been anyone in the NFC to truly the challenge the Hawks until this year. At least our FO knows now where we stand and what needs to be done for next year to get this team back on top.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
DavidSeven":34mzn7c7 said:
Palmer doesn't turn it over six times if he isn't playing from way behind in the 1st quarter and on. That's on both him and his defense.

Eh, absolutely agreed with the first sentence, but instead of the second sentence I think it's just a natural consequence of the strategies you need to employ once you're in a hole.

When you're on the clear losing side of a high variance David strategy it can make a not close game look even less close (24-7 at halftime ends in 49-15 even with Carolina taking a Goliath strategy and bleeding things down), just as when you're on the clear winning side of a high variance David strategy once in a hole you can make a less close game look much closer in the end (31-0 at halftime ends in 31-24 as Carolina uses the same Goliath strategy to bleed things down).

If anything, my takeaway from the playoffs so far is that Carolina is CLEARLY the best team in the division, as in the playoffs they've made the best that the NFC has to offer collectively look like absolute dog crap.

In their two playoff games they've gone into halftime at a combined score of 55-7. That's just insane.

It's the type of domination for which those who want to crush sour grapes really don't have any options beyond chucking up nonsensical hail mary's about how their marquee player is impolite or something.

Sterling Archer

Reaction score
Sour grapes sounds more like a niners fan, on a Seahawks forum, telling hawk fans how they should feel about a third party QB as if it matters. And while citing an unbiased opinion, is continually pointing out they looked like "dog crap" in their game and that they are in fact biased when it comes to their own QB (who isn't as good as they think he is).

Luckily, no ones opinion actually matters and we'll likely be in the divisional round again next year. That probably hurts.

rigelian

Reaction score
I don't quite understand the hatred toward Cam. When people complain about him pouting when things are going well...have people looked at Tom Brady when things are going well? The guy throws temper tantrums. Peyton Manning throws team mates under the bus when things are going well.

If you look at the playoff games, Cam made very few mistakes. He's matured and is making good decisions on the field. As for the celebrations, it seems to charge up his team. Russell gives motivational speeches in the sidelines while Cam celebrates. Both things seem to work for their teams.

Cary Kollins

Reaction score
If you have a problem with Cam Newton, you have a problem with yourself.

Life is too short to spend your time hating a person enjoying their life. Just because your life is miserable doesn't mean everyone else's has to be too.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Cary Kollins":1d5qwt1k said:

Life is too short to spend your time hating a person enjoying their life. Just because your life is miserable doesn't mean everyone else's has to be too.

Wouldn't pointing out other people's misery simply be the same then?

Doesn't really help does it...

Daytomann

Reaction score
Cary Kollins":1rviyjan said:

Huh? Someone is a douche and that means my life is miserable? Huh?

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Cam is a divisive player and the more angry/annoyed you get by his antics the more he's going to do it.. His fans love it, his haters hate it, and that's exactly how he likes it.

He was the best player in the league this year and him and his team kicked ass and had more fun doing it than anybody else. They could potentially win their first Super Bowl this year and they're going to have a blast while they're at it. If fans of the 2013 Seahawks can't understand that then I don't think anybody can.

Congrats to Cam, the Panthers and Panthers fans. Y'all earned this one and deserve to enjoy it. Good luck in the Super Bowl.

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
No one can question whether or not Cam is a good QB. Maybe I have hit an age where I am beginning to fall in a different era. I was told to respect your opponent even if you were beating them into submission. All I know is that if I see a kid in pop warner celebrating every first down for thirty seconds, I will pull open my shirt and give my best superman impression for the first kid that earholes him.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
storm74":pkxhwnah said:
No one can question whether or not Cam is a good QB. Maybe I have hit an age where I am beginning to fall in a different era. I was told to respect your opponent even if you were beating them into submission. All I know is that if I see a kid in pop warner celebrating every first down for thirty seconds, I will pull open my shirt and give my best superman impression for the first kid that earholes him.
This.

I played for Terry Ennis at Renton high. He was one of the best coaches in the state. Possibly the country.

If any of us acted like that idiot Cam he would have benched us. No matter who the player was. He believed in playing the game the right way.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
That's dope. Terry Ennis coached at my high school too (Cascade in Everett). I never played football but he was well respected, as far as I remember.

mrt144

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":10f8opsj said:
mrt144":10f8opsj said:
I love Cam Newton for all the reasons people dislike him and I hope he shows up Pey Pey.
I flip old 5-head a lot of crap on here, from his "Manning face" when he is struggling to his usual choke jobs in the playoffs.
....... But one thing he has, win or lose, is class. Something that Cammy still hasn't learned yet, and probably never will.

Nothing wrong with having fun, but when you showboat and make it all about YOU, that's where most folks have the problem with him.

I remember one great player once say "act like you've been there before"
That great player was NFL Hall of Famer Barry Sanders.

With that being said, I'd like to see Cammy hiding under his towel a lot in 2 weeks. 8)

The thing that I like about Cam is the potential to recast the mold of what it takes to win in the NFL - attitude being one of those things. Maybe a QB doesn't have to be a stoic automaton and can back the showboating up. I think the penalties for excessive celebration have caused irreparable harm to the entertainment value of the NFL.

Not only that but I really can not stress how much I despise the idea winners can't brag on themselves. Who gives a shit, they scored on you, move on and don't let it happen again. Use your resentment as fuel to play better. Dude beats you at chess and gloats, you gonna give him a concussion? Why is that kind of mentality okay in football? It's ridiculous, it's a game, not something that defines your value as a human. If there's any malignancy in any game it's thin skinned losers, not chest beating winners.

And no disrespect to Barry but he stoically rode the Lions ship into the murky abyss and never got THERE.

mrt144

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":e2gpf7es said:
storm74":e2gpf7es said:
This.

I played for Terry Ennis at Renton high. He was one of the best coaches in the state. Possibly the country.

If any of us acted like that idiot Cam he would have benched us. No matter who the player was. He believed in playing the game the right way.

The right way as justified by what benefit?

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
mrt144":2h023lnv said:
The thing that I like about Cam is the potential to recast the mold of what it takes to win in the NFL - attitude being one of those things. Maybe a QB doesn't have to be a stoic automaton and can back the showboating up. I think the penalties for excessive celebration have caused irreparable harm to the entertainment value of the NFL.

Not only that but I really can not stress how much I despise the idea winners can't brag on themselves. Who gives a shit, they scored on you, move on and don't let it happen again. Use your resentment as fuel to play better. Dude beats you at chess and gloats, you gonna give him a concussion? Why is that kind of mentality okay in football? It's ridiculous, it's a game, not something that defines your value as a human. If there's any malignancy in any game it's thin skinned losers, not chest beating winners.

And no disrespect to Barry but he stoically rode the Lions ship into the murky abyss and never got THERE.

Having an attitude is fine, being fiery is fine. I think you are missing the point all together. Acting like an asshat constantly doesn't make you a better player. Do you really think if Barry Sanders signaled first down every time he moved the sticks or if he pulled the superman every td, he would have propelled that garbage lions team into the superbowl?

The entertainment value of the NFL is the game of football. Anything else is secondary and unnecessary. If you want gloating and excessive celebration then watch the XFL. Oh wait, the XFL is defunct and He Hate Me is probably flipping burgers somewhere.

You are correct in saying that football is a game and it doesn't define your value as a human. However, your actions do. If Cam wants to be hated and ostracized, he is going about his business perfectly. As far as your thin skinned losers argument goes, Cam fits that mold every time he loses a game.

Cam is a spoiled rotten, petulant child.

mrt144

Reaction score
storm74":25xwtydc said:
mrt144":25xwtydc said:

Having an attitude is fine, being fiery is fine. I think you are missing the point all together. Acting like an asshat constantly doesn't make you a better player. Do you really think if Barry Sanders signaled first down every time he moved the sticks or if he pulled the superman every td, he would have propelled that garbage lions team into the superbowl?

The entertainment value of the NFL is the game of football. Anything else is secondary and unnecessary. If you want gloating and excessive celebration then watch the XFL. Oh wait, the XFL is defunct and He Hate Me is probably flipping burgers somewhere.

You are correct in saying that football is a game and it doesn't define your value as a human. However, your actions do. If Cam wants to be hated and ostracized, he is going about his business perfectly. As far as your thin skinned losers argument goes, Cam fits that mold every time he loses a game.

Cam is a spoiled rotten, petulant child.

But acting like an asshat doesn't diminish his ability either. That's the thing I find exciting. It's contra to every narrative ever about success in sports. It's about changing perceptions and possibly letting talent dictate, not attitude. It's the amped up version of Beast mode. I love seeing dudes with attitude win out of spite for the ultra serious and humorless nay sayers.

Cam is immature as hell, I wouldn't be friends with him and luckily I don't have to be, but I sure like how he's riling people up.

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
I am not arguing his ability. The guy is a stud. The fact that he has to act like he does actually diminishes his accomplishments imo.