Pro Bowl and Seahawks GOAT by postilion.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
chris98251":3a7ca8tx said:
Spin Doctor":3a7ca8tx said:
T Walter Jones
G Steve Hutchinson
C Max Unger
G Chris Gray
T Howard Ballard
TE Jimmy Graham
WR Steve Largent
WR Darrell Jackson
WR Doug Baldwin
QB Russell Wilson
RB Shaun Alexander
RB Marshawn Lynch
FB John L Williams

DE Michael Sinclair
DT Cortez Kennedy
DT Joe Nash
DE Jacob Green
LB Bobby Wagner
LB KJ Wright
LB Julian Peterson
CB Richard Sherman
CB Marcus Trufant
S Kenny Easley
S Earl Thomas
S Kam Chancellor

K Norm Johnson
P Michael Dickson
LS JP Darche
PR Joey Galloway
KR Leon Washington

So I made a few changes here, the most controversial would probably be Julian Peterson at the last OLB spot. Tatupu played ILB, not outside. Even though Julian Peterson only played here a few years he was a pro bowler each of those years. Even though the system called him to play a ton in coverage he racked up the sacks and QB hits.

The second change was swapping out Lockett. While he does have the most punt return yards, he also has the most volume. His body of work was also unimpressive when compared to Nate Burleson and Joey Galloway. Burleson and Galloway both averaged almost 3 more yards per return, and had more TDs on punt returns than Lockett. Galloway had 4 TDs and Burleson had two.

I decided to forego Brian Blades in favor of Darrell Jackson and Doug Baldwin. Jackson had better overall single seasons and had more TDs than Blades and a higher Y/A. Baldwin had more TDs and a higher Y/A. Each of these players were about 1000 yards off Blades total yardage -- but he also played for the Seahawks for many more years than Jackson and Baldwin. I left off Engram because his numbers trailed both Jackson and Baldwin.

The only TE that deserves to be on here is Jimmy Graham, he far and away has the best stats for TE's. He may have gotten flack here, but he was unquestionably the best TE we've ever had, he also sustained his play for longer than anyone else we've had at that position.

Wrong on Graham, he was a tall WR, never played like a real TE.

If your going to list TE's that were great that played here you have to list them as what they did at the position not stats as a receiver.

Tice, Fauria, both exceeded Graham as a TE but had less yards, they also played in a different system.
Receiving is part of being a TE, especially in the context of being a modern day TE. Often times the lines between the two are blurred in today's NFL. We cannot discount his receiving, and quite frankly I think he had a bigger impact on the game than Tice or Fauria had. He also had more accolades while on the Seahawks than the other two ever had in their career. I don't think we can say they were better than Jimmy Graham. He's really the only logical choice for this position. Seattle has not had a great run of TEs.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
niveky":s0uj82z5 said:
T Walter Jones
G Steve Hutchinson
C Max Unger
G Steve Hutchinson(poison pill sucked but i think a lot of people omit because of that just from a fan perspective)
T Walter Jones
TE Jimmy Graham
WR Steve Largent
WR Darrell Jackson
WR Doug Baldwin
QB Russell Wilson
RB Shaun Alexander
RB Marshawn Lynch
FB Mack Strong

DE Michael Bennett
DT Cortez Kennedy
DT Brandon Mebane(i always wished Marcus Tubbs could have stayed healthy..i felt like without the injuries he could have really been dominant)
DE Cliff Avril
LB Bobby Wagner
LB KJ Wright
LB Chad Brown
CB Richard Sherman
CB Marcus Trufant
S Kenny Easley
S Earl Thomas
S Kam Chancellor

K Norm Johnson
P Michael Dickson
LS JP Darche
PR Joey Galloway
KR Leon Washington
Good list except for a few things here. Avril doesn't even have good numbers compared to other Carroll era DEs. Clark, and Clemons both have more sacks in a shorter amount of time with the Seahawks. If we include all of the DE's Seattle has ever had, we run into guys like Jacob Green and Sinclair. Jacob Green had 7 years above 9 sacks and is the all-time Seahawk sack leader. With the Seahawks, Bennett only had one year above 9 sacks.

Now he was a force up the middle, and could be rotated in at any position, BUT that still doesn't beat what Sinclair and Green did on the Hawks.

The other thing I think that needs to be amended is the DT position. Joe Nash had all-pro credentials to his and was very underrated in his time even still. We also had Sam Adams and John Randle play for the Hawks, those guys I would also put above Mebane. Randle was a monster for us, and a HOFer. Even though he was only here for 3 years he still put up quite an impressive stretch of play. Sam Adams was a fantastic DT here as well as a great NT for the Ravens.

The one thing you did a good job of recognizing though is Chad Brown, I forgot about him completely for some reason. He deserves to go in over my Julian Peterson pick.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
Pretty good list. I think Michael Bennett belongs here, but DK is indeed a little premature. And regarding Jimmy Graham, while he may have been the most talented TE to ever put on a Hawks uniform, his best years were unfortunately with New Orleans, not with Seattle. Suffice to say, we have yet to have a truly great TE perform in that slot.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
All these lists are irrelevant without Kasen Williams and Troymaine Pope on them.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Aros":3hbro90m said:
FB Strong / John L. Williams...Can't decide. Strong was excellent but John L. was far more fun to watch and very productive.

These two guys are #1 and 1A. Mack Strong was just a pure FB. Need a block for your RB? Put Strong in front of him. John L. was also a great FB but brought more versatility to his game. When Curt Warner went down, John L was able to step into the feature back role with very little drop off. As far as I’m concerned, those two can share the top spot as Seahawks FB GOAT!!

chris98251

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1mbig0qh said:
chris98251":1mbig0qh said:
Spin Doctor":1mbig0qh said:
T Walter Jones
G Steve Hutchinson
C Max Unger
G Chris Gray
T Howard Ballard
TE Jimmy Graham
WR Steve Largent
WR Darrell Jackson
WR Doug Baldwin
QB Russell Wilson
RB Shaun Alexander
RB Marshawn Lynch
FB John L Williams

DE Michael Sinclair
DT Cortez Kennedy
DT Joe Nash
DE Jacob Green
LB Bobby Wagner
LB KJ Wright
LB Julian Peterson
CB Richard Sherman
CB Marcus Trufant
S Kenny Easley
S Earl Thomas
S Kam Chancellor

K Norm Johnson
P Michael Dickson
LS JP Darche
PR Joey Galloway
KR Leon Washington

So I made a few changes here, the most controversial would probably be Julian Peterson at the last OLB spot. Tatupu played ILB, not outside. Even though Julian Peterson only played here a few years he was a pro bowler each of those years. Even though the system called him to play a ton in coverage he racked up the sacks and QB hits.

The second change was swapping out Lockett. While he does have the most punt return yards, he also has the most volume. His body of work was also unimpressive when compared to Nate Burleson and Joey Galloway. Burleson and Galloway both averaged almost 3 more yards per return, and had more TDs on punt returns than Lockett. Galloway had 4 TDs and Burleson had two.

I decided to forego Brian Blades in favor of Darrell Jackson and Doug Baldwin. Jackson had better overall single seasons and had more TDs than Blades and a higher Y/A. Baldwin had more TDs and a higher Y/A. Each of these players were about 1000 yards off Blades total yardage -- but he also played for the Seahawks for many more years than Jackson and Baldwin. I left off Engram because his numbers trailed both Jackson and Baldwin.

The only TE that deserves to be on here is Jimmy Graham, he far and away has the best stats for TE's. He may have gotten flack here, but he was unquestionably the best TE we've ever had, he also sustained his play for longer than anyone else we've had at that position.

If your going to list TE's that were great that played here you have to list them as what they did at the position not stats as a receiver.

Tice, Fauria, both exceeded Graham as a TE but had less yards, they also played in a different system.
Receiving is part of being a TE, especially in the context of being a modern day TE. Often times the lines between the two are blurred in today's NFL. We cannot discount his receiving, and quite frankly I think he had a bigger impact on the game than Tice or Fauria had. He also had more accolades while on the Seahawks than the other two ever had in their career. I don't think we can say they were better than Jimmy Graham. He's really the only logical choice for this position. Seattle has not had a great run of TEs.

Ok then you are still wrong, Charlie Young was heads and shoulders above all the others as a receiver and blocker even if his best years were not here,he did well here also but since you are seemingly including careers here then Young is the best.

If you are just talking Eras and then cherry picking which ones and going further and cherry picking just receiving stats then maybe you have something. Choose favorite players on teams that you know and watched and forget the rest.

There is more to playing a position then raw stats in catches and yards. I would bet Graham had less blocks in his career then the others did in a season, remember, we are a RUNNING team first, Blocking is important, why we got Dissley, Olsen here now. We have always had a history as a primarily a running team.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Tusc2000":bsvseotb said:
Pretty good list. I think Michael Bennett belongs here, but DK is indeed a little premature. And regarding Jimmy Graham, while he may have been the most talented TE to ever put on a Hawks uniform, his best years were unfortunately with New Orleans, not with Seattle. Suffice to say, we have yet to have a truly great TE perform in that slot.

Completely agree about Graham. While he was a good TE with Seattle, he was no where close to what he was with the Saints. A TE I haven’t seen mentioned was Charle Young. Chuck Knox brought in the veteran and he was arguably the first great TE the Seahawks had. Like Graham his best years were played elsewhere but in 1983 he had 36 catches for 539 yards and 2 TDs. This made him second in receiving stats behind Largent.

RockinHawks

Reaction score
These are great points...it's hard to argue the stats that Graham brought to the TE position, but he was hardly a clutch ball catcher, key drops and whiffed on more blocks than I'd care to remember.

Mike Tice, Christian Fauria, Carlson, Mili, Zach Miller, Charlie Young...these represent the package of what it means to be a true TE in the Seahawks system.

It's easy to look at stats and pro bowls, but Graham brought ZERO to our running game, Marshawn made Graham look better than he had any right to look, as a TE.

John L. Williams...he was my childhood. Watching him and Warner was so much fun. Mack Strong was a stud. Hard to determine that...but yeah, John L. Williams picked up the slack when we needed a pure runner and pass catcher.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
chris98251":24tei8ki said:
Spin Doctor":24tei8ki said:
chris98251":24tei8ki said:
Spin Doctor":24tei8ki said:
T Walter Jones
G Steve Hutchinson
C Max Unger
G Chris Gray
T Howard Ballard
TE Jimmy Graham
WR Steve Largent
WR Darrell Jackson
WR Doug Baldwin
QB Russell Wilson
RB Shaun Alexander
RB Marshawn Lynch
FB John L Williams

DE Michael Sinclair
DT Cortez Kennedy
DT Joe Nash
DE Jacob Green
LB Bobby Wagner
LB KJ Wright
LB Julian Peterson
CB Richard Sherman
CB Marcus Trufant
S Kenny Easley
S Earl Thomas
S Kam Chancellor

K Norm Johnson
P Michael Dickson
LS JP Darche
PR Joey Galloway
KR Leon Washington

Ok then you are still wrong, Charlie Young was heads and shoulders above all the others as a receiver and blocker even if his best years were not here,he did well here also but since you are seemingly including careers here then Young is the best.

If you are just talking Eras and then cherry picking which ones and going further and cherry picking just receiving stats then maybe you have something. Choose favorite players on teams that you know and watched and forget the rest.

There is more to playing a position then raw stats in catches and yards. I would bet Graham had less blocks in his career then the others did in a season, remember, we are a RUNNING team first, Blocking is important, why we got Dissley, Olsen here now. We have always had a history as a primarily a running team.
Again, this is the modern NFL, and in the three years we had Jimmy Graham we passed more than we ran the football. I absolutely do not agree with your assertions here, Jimmy Graham was far and away the best TE we've ever had. He got more accolades in his three years here than any of our TE's ever got in their entire careers, save for Young and that was at the first three years of his career. Jimmy Graham almost amassed more passing stats in one year here, than Charlie Young had in three years here. What I'm saying is, yes while he was not a good blocker, we cannot overlook what he did in the passing game. I personally don't like Jimmy Graham, but he was far and away our best TE. We can't just say "but he sucked blocking" and outright ignore his contributions in the passing game.

I think you're letting your distaste over the trade, and him as a player sour your opinion on his time here. He was stylistically a mismatch, and he was a diva, but we've never had a TE that performed even close him in the passing game. His blocking wasn't great, but once again -- I think his receiving abilities outshine that aspect of his game, especially when that isn't uncommon in the context of what a modern NFL TE is asked to do or how they are used. I cannot put any of our other TE's ahead of him in good faith.

KinesProf

Reaction score
Jimmy's blocking would only be relevant to this debate if anyone else was even remotely close in productivity. Jimmy holds most franchise records at the position, without there really being a close 2nd.

KinesProf

Reaction score
RockinHawks":2jlbqr1g said:
Marshawn made Graham look better than he had any right to look, as a TE.

Marshawn and Jimmy played 7 games together. Total. What are you talking about?

Jimmy made two Pro Bowls with Seahawks teams that Marshawn didn't play for.

Erebus

Reaction score
RockinHawks":2mw7w3sd said:
It's easy to look at stats and pro bowls, but Graham brought ZERO to our running game, Marshawn made Graham look better than he had any right to look, as a TE.

They barely played together. Graham was brought in just before the 2015 season. Marshawn only played 7 games that year before "retiring" the following offseason. But your point remains valid. Graham brought nothing to the run game, which suffered in 2016 and 2017 with Graham blocking.

RockinHawks

Reaction score
KinesProf":ol8scv3r said:
Jimmy's blocking would only be relevant to this debate if anyone else was even remotely close in productivity. Jimmy holds most franchise records at the position, without there really being a close 2nd.
I would argue that Carlson is a close 2nd, where numbers are concerned:

Jimmy Graham Games: 43 / YDS: 2048 / TD: 18 / Long: 45 / Fumbles: 2

John Carlson Games: 47 / YDS: 1519 / TD: 13 / Long: 42 / Fumbles: 0

Again, the last thing I would counter with would be Carlson's blocking ability, he was as solid a blocker as he was a pass catcher.

500 yards and 5 touchdowns off of Graham really isn't that large of a divide, especially when it concerns the things that the position traditionally requires.

Again, I was the Itula Mili guy, so...

Not disparaging anything that Graham did in a Hawks uniform. I cheered for him as loudly as I have any other Seahawk player. I just look at the GOAT at every "position" as a player who performed well at THAT position.

Could you imagine judging a linebacker on their soft hands and coverage abilities, but NOT their tackling?

Just my two pennies...

Tusc2000

Reaction score

OP
OP
M

MO Hawk

Reaction score
RockinHawks":33h4px10 said:
Nothinbutm":33h4px10 said:
This list is questionable since there's no mention of Germain Ifedi or Aaron Curry.
Or this guy:

Fc6b4a1aab808583c28f8ae85df01d8a

Really considered adding the Boz as the GOAT at LB. After all what other player in Seahawks history showed up to his first practice in a helicopter landing on the practice field? Or what other high priced LB got run over by Bo Jackson on MNF? Yes, he was outstanding at something, just not at football in the NFL.