Preseason Game 2 Observations

JPatera76

Reaction score
I dont think our defense is bad... Its hot and cold and I put that on Kris Richard. Its just like when we had Gus. Quinn was very agressive and had no issue adjusting. Kris didn't even adjust. And Ibunderstand its preseason and going vanilla... But we saw it last year as well. Not enough blitzes and pressure and to much Zone

2_0_6

Reaction score
Greenhell":23z5ezbb said:
scutterhawk":23z5ezbb said:
Nothing on Pope?-----Nothing?

That's what I'm talking about. Regardless of playing against 3rd string guys he was playing with anger and burst. He's a lot smaller than I thought but fires out of the hole nicely. Wonder if there is a roster spot for him though?

He reminds me a lot of Justin Forsett.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
Is it possible that Browner's position is pretty well set in stone so they are letting the younger guys compete? They have talked a lot how they plan to use him against TE's, yet when Rudolph was out there burning us for yards they never once put him in that role. If he is really on the roster bubble doesn't it seem odd that they wouldn't give him a shot to compete at the very thing they said they signed him for? He knows this system well, and if his role will be to shut down TE's, I don't think he is going to need a million snaps out there to get up to speed. I think the only thing they didn't know was if he was still athletic enough, and I am sure that question was already answered in practice. I think people predicting his demise due to lack of snaps are jumping the gun a little early.

kf3339

Reaction score
Okay, so I said very little about the first game on purpose. What is there to really say about a game where starters barely play, and no one really knows what they are doing. At least that is how I look at it.

But, after two games I will now say a few things about both games in general.

Yes, we all know that the team don't game plan, play call, scheme or basically do anything that happens in a real game. So I don't think you can look at the results in any meaningful way.

But here it is:

Offense:

RW needs to lose weight, or find that second gear he had in years past. What some posters said about him seeming slow strikes me as correct. In addition, he also seems mentally slow in his anticipation of pass rush pressure. This is especially true from the edges. I was pissed last year about the interior pressure that gave him no time. But I always knew he could handle the outside guys. I give him a pass now, but really hope this doesn't progress into the regular season.

The O-Line actually looks serviceable. Now I'm not saying great, but I think we all would take average and run with it. Our interior three look pretty good to me. And this from a guy who has really slammed the Britt experiment at center. He actually looks the part. I seen really good double teams with him and Glow on several occasions. What is not to like? Sowell did decent, which I will take. He gave RW enough time on both the sacks from his side. Those were on RW, not him. Gilliam did okay, but seems to still need some work. Not really concerned though.

CW ran really well for a second game. He has really turned it around, which we started to see late last year. Right now with a completely healthy Rawls we have a very strong 1-2 punch. Pope looked good, but against much lessor competition. Collins looks bad, and not sure how one can say anything different.

Vannett looked really good to me. He is getting his blocking assignment met, and ran good routes. I think he will replace Willson by the mid point of this season.

Baldwin and Lockett looked great. Kearse didn't do much, but not worried about it. The others didn't really impress me that much.

Defense:

Our starting DT's have an issue. It makes no sense to have Rubin and Reed in at the same time. Rubin seemed to stand around both games. Reed had a really good second game, with some interior pressure. But what I really saw was Jefferson in the backfield multiple times making plays. Now that doesn't mean he dominated, but he did have 4 assisted tackles. Pretty good to me. Also McDaniel looked really good. I would move him next to Reed as a starter, and not even blink. Rubin should back up Reed. Also, Clark had a really good game. He is going to play a lot this year and make a real impact. Avril and Bennett really didn't do much this game, but wasn't expecting anything more.

Our LB's look okay. Not really impressed so far with Wagner this preseason, but who can tell if that means anything right now. Wright played really well. Our SLB combo didn't really stick out to me.

The Simon experiment to me is done. I think Shead, Lane and Sherman are our top three. Stick in Tye Smith and Burley and you have it. Browner doesn't need to play, as some wanted. He will be ready. Same with Kam.

Last, get Gresham back. We went thru this crap in Holmgrens tenure and it can costs us a game. I still don't get what PC and JS were thinking. To save a $100K or 2? Please.

OP
OP
McGruff

McGruff

Reaction score
JPatera76":35wfp199 said:
I dont think our defense is bad... Its hot and cold and I put that on Kris Richard. Its just like when we had Gus. Quinn was very agressive and had no issue adjusting. Kris didn't even adjust. And Ibunderstand its preseason and going vanilla... But we saw it last year as well. Not enough blitzes and pressure and to much Zone

An in game interview with Wright indicated that adjustments were nade, ND zero 2nd half points backs that up. Wright basically said they told the backups to tightened their coverage in the underneath zones.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
bbsplitter":1uofmjhr said:
Is it possible that Browner's position is pretty well set in stone so they are letting the younger guys compete? They have talked a lot how they plan to use him against TE's, yet when Rudolph was out there burning us for yards they never once put him in that role. If he is really on the roster bubble doesn't it seem odd that they wouldn't give him a shot to compete at the very thing they said they signed him for? He knows this system well, and if his role will be to shut down TE's, I don't think he is going to need a million snaps out there to get up to speed. I think the only thing they didn't know was if he was still athletic enough, and I am sure that question was already answered in practice. I think people predicting his demise due to lack of snaps are jumping the gun a little early.
My feelings as well. He's either already locked in and they're just playing him sparingly to keep his older legs as fresh as possible, or he's gonna be cut and there's no sense in wasting snaps on him. My guess is it's the former not the latter.

kearly

Reaction score
After watching a 2nd time, I thought our defense played really well other than a few things that crafty veteran Shaun Hill masterfully exploited on exactly one drive.

The Vikings barely moved the ball at all in the 2nd half, and finished with only 258 total yards of offense. It wasn't a bone cracking defensive display but it got the job done and should have been good enough to win.

The fact that Browner isn't getting picked on probably means that he is getting the job done. That he's barely playing might be a sign that he's already made the team. I guess we'll see.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
I think Mike Morgan is way ahead in the SLB competition. He was holding the edge a lot better than Marsh or especially Pinkins. I know people say Pinkins gained weight, but he still looks really small and weak. I don't see how Pinkins even makes the roster after the way he has played.