Pre-nfl Wilson fans

bellingerga

Reaction score
Just wondering how many of the Russell Wilson fans that came in here in the off-season saying "I am now a seahawk fan because of Wilson" are still around?

The thought came to me because I was remembering O. Schmitt and how many fans followed him in college and how quickly they dissapeared before he was even off the team.

So yeah, pre-seahawk Russell Wilson fans roll call here

AF_Hawk

Reaction score
I was a fan once I saw a highlight video of him before the draft. I was hopeful the Seahawks were going to draft him, but didn't think they would. When they drafted him I was probably more excited about it then his wife was!

35bcetc

Lazyfingers

Reaction score
Only reason I check this message board is because of Wilson. I've moved around a lot and never developed a true hometown team to root for. As a result, I root for NCSU alumni primarily. Wilson certainly provides the spark, but its nice to see Sweezy and Haushka contributing as well.

packerfan4200

Reaction score
Hello all and Merry Christmas. I am from Green Bay and am obviously a Packer fan but I am an enormous RW fan and have been following your board all year. I don't know why it has taken me this long to chime in but I remember reading comments from several of you in August, who were wondering if RW was too good to be true? I know most of you have figured it out, but he's not fools gold, he is the absolute real deal! Hawks fans are in good hands with Russ, I promise you that. He has as much composure as I've ever seen from a quarterback, more than Rodgers, it's really remarkable to be honest.

Good luck in the Playoffs and I'll definitely be rooting for a rematch with you folks!

setha880

Reaction score
I'm in my fifth year at NC State so I've been through the ups and down with Russell (mostly ups). I rooted for Wisconsin when he was forced to transfer and I became a Seahawks fan this year. The growth of this team since the beginning of the season has truly won me over. I fully expect to be a Seahawks fan for many years to come. Go Hawks!

olyfan63

Reaction score
I've read a lot of posts on .NET from NC State fans who loved him there and are Seahawks fans as long as RW is under center. Ditto from a lot of Wisconsion fans, though the Packer fans have been a little cooler since Fail Mary. (But I bet they're feeling better after the 49er beatdown) I've heard the RW-watcher-now-turned-Seahawks-fan sentiment from several unlikely people, including some acquaintances in Cleveland. The Clevelanders were more RW opponents, e.g. Ohio State fans, who saw him in college (even though Wisconsin and RW lost to OSU) who are maybe a little surprised he's doing so well in the NFL, but enjoy the excitement he brings to games.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Lazyfingers":xdn3ah7r said:
Only reason I check this message board is because of Wilson. I've moved around a lot and never developed a true hometown team to root for. As a result, I root for NCSU alumni primarily. Wilson certainly provides the spark, but its nice to see Sweezy and Haushka contributing as well.

I had never made the Sweezy and Haushka connections, thanks! So Sweezy was at NC State during at least a couple years on the same team with Wilson, right? Just on the defensive side of the ball. So does it seem weird to you to see Sweezy and Wilson on the same side of the ball now in the NFL?

Basis4day

Reaction score
I knew who he was because of a Hard Knocks'esk show i saw on one of the sports networks about Wisconsin. Saw him in the Rose Bowl and thought he was great.

Was very intrigued when we drafted him, but i was very much in the Flynn camp. Figured he'd ride the bench and learn the pro game for a season or two while we figured out what we had in Flynn.

Then the Chiefs preseason game happened.

LawHawk

Reaction score
Jeez, Hauschka too? We are the NC State and Utah State all stars.

CaptainSkybeard

Reaction score
Don't know how I feel about having this kind of fan. I mean don't get me wrong, a 12 is a 12, but I saw what happened to many "colts fans" after Manning left who are now Broncos fans. I don't know, it's just different when you are a fan of a franchise, that is truly timeless.

That being said I am sure alot of the Wilsonites will fall in love with the team.

AVL

Reaction score
I was a casual football fan with rabbit eared tv (in mountains, no less). Wilson was playing for the Tourist in Asheville, near where I live. The local sports guy said RW was leaving to play football at Wisconsin. I told my wife " The Russell Wilson show is about to restart, we need to get satellite tv.

Russell Wilson is the height of efficiency and entertainment. I thank the Hawks for drafting him and giving him a fair shot at playing and thank all of the skeptical fans who took the popular opinion of looming disaster. I do wish we could have avoided all of the early/ mid season drama, but I suspect Carol thrives off of that stuff.

It is so awesome to see all facets of the team coming together at the proper time. Still a lot of luck involved, but I like our chanced and hope we have some good road games left in us.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
As a Seahawk fan I think it's the coolest thing that our new franchise QB has brought a legion of fans who admire him for his work ethic, leadership, and amazing abilities on the field. Think about that for a minute. Wow.

Blitzfan

Reaction score
Hey, people take all kinds of different paths in their journey to become a 12. The more the merrier I say! Glad to have you on board.

BGHawk

Reaction score
I believe that these Wilson fans will become full fledged Seahawk fans given time..welcome aboard.. Go Hawks

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
I browsed this forum since last year to follow certain players like Rice and Tavaris but was all-in as a hawks fan after the Wilson draft. Loved Wilson since he joined the badgers. Loved seahawks ever since I watched Real Rob Report for the first time. Best group of young athletes. Best coaching crew. Best fans. Best fan forum by far. Go Hawks!

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Used to live in the Pacific NW (Oregon) and attended many Seahawks games there. Moved to Raleigh with family about a decade ago for business reasons. We don't have professional football in Raleigh, so we all follow College Football (NC State, UNC, Duke,...). I don't particularly care about the Panthers ...
While in Raleigh, I ran into Wilson (accidentally) many times, as I had some business to attend at NC State campus and also ran into him at the local mall one day. Watched some of his games at NC State, where he did quite well and ran circles around big (fat) guys ... I suspected, he would be a good player.
I was shocked, when he was pushed out of NC State by the former coach. I thought it was unfair and not really justified. I think this decision strengthened RW's resolve and increased his drive to succeed. I didn't follow him much at WI, but when the draft came, I wished Seattle would pick him, and they did. I'm glad the Seattle coaching staff was able to understand his strength and design game plans based on his strength and mostly gave him a chance to play.
I think Seahawks are set for the next decade at QB and we are just getting started on this ride to multiple Super Bowls.