Practice squad members signed.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well a few factors I think contribute to this.

1) Were a better team and it takes more to break thru from top to bottom for a player.

2) By being a playoff team our picks are lower and that means more chances of a miss.

3) Our success and transcendence using a different approach to rating players and their roles is now being picked up across the league, players that would have been passed over three years ago are now being drafted and signed leaving less in the cupboard for us to bring in to compete for the team.

4) We are being seen as a great team for developing players, teams are going after guys that have been holdovers and PS guys as roster players.

All this attrition adds up, it just means that our front office has to work harder to find players that can step in if needed. Price of success, teams emulating our tactics and draft strategy is a compliment and a curse.

springscohawk

Reaction score
I thought one of either Kiero Small or Ware would be added to practice squad. Kind of surprised Small wasn't added due to fact he was one of their draft choices and appeared to be a decent blocker for the fullback position.

If the players that were picked up by other teams were on our practice squad, (Toomer, etc) it would be a much stronger group. Our weaker practice squad is another reflection of winning Super Bowl and our scouting and player development no longer a secret.

Jville

Reaction score
Since this is the successor thread for practice squad members ........ I suppose it would be the appropriate place for rumors about additional practice squad signings.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/hMJem/status/506266202264457216[/tweet]

If Arkin has indeed been signed, this will be his first opportunity in a NFL zone blocking scheme. He was a small school project that ran into less than ideal circumstances and environments in Dallas and Miami. The Seahawks might be just the ticket to jump start his career.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
I'm surprised Small didn't make the PS. But Walters was a message: take care of the football if you want to play on this team.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Blitzer88":2bk3hzjq said:
kearly":2bk3hzjq said:
Overall, this is a very weak PS group compared to what we've seen in previous years, and it's a reflection of how poorly Seattle's depth showcased in the 2014 preseason. I think Daniels has a chance to turn into a long term backup QB, but the rest of the group seems like a long shot to be a meaningful part of the Seahawks' future.

Not gonna lie, makes me nervous when you say stuff like this kearly.

Who'd have thought that?!?! ;)

I'm actually glad they kept these guys around. Practice squads are always a long shot, but it does happen. What I find interesting is Schneider really hasn't poached anyone as of yet. (Just the one trade, as far as I've seen.)

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Getting B.J. Daniels back is a coup. The only thing I wish was that he had more opportunities to develop in the preseason. But then I realize if he had received more reps, there is no way he would have cleared waivers. Trading a 7th for Pryor may have succeeded in convincing the rest of the league that Daniels is no good. Afterall, why would the Seahawks give up a draft pick for a QB with one year left on his deal who doesn't pass well, if they already have their backup of the future on the roster? Everything worked out great in the end.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Blitzer88":4cxblmqk said:
kearly":4cxblmqk said:
Overall, this is a very weak PS group compared to what we've seen in previous years, and it's a reflection of how poorly Seattle's depth showcased in the 2014 preseason. I think Daniels has a chance to turn into a long term backup QB, but the rest of the group seems like a long shot to be a meaningful part of the Seahawks' future.

Not gonna lie, makes me nervous when you say stuff like this kearly.

LOL Good Ol' Blitzer. If I'm ever feeling too optimistic, I know where to look for some gloom and doom. You're like that commercial "We're doomed! Doomed! Doomed!"

[youtube]NmZRDUO1wGQ[/youtube]

hawknation2014

Reaction score
kearly":22895u9k said:
Happy to see Daniels make it through waivers.

Bronson is a solid RB, good enough to hang around NFL rosters, but I was surprised they kept him over Ware. Ware had a rough preseason but he fits a "tough" RB mold that Turbin, Michael, and Bronson do not. I think the departure of Ware is perhaps a clue that Seattle could be targeting a very physical RB somewhere in next year's draft.

Surprised that Walters didn't make it (yet).

Don't you think it's also a reflection of the rest of the league poaching some of our better players? Toomer . . . Mayowa . . . Small . . . Hauptmann.

Getting both Daniels and Bronson back is kind of amazing to me. RaShaun Allen is a great athlete, so maybe he will develop into an all-around player a year from now. Ware and Walters are also PS eligible if they decide to use their two exceptions on them.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
Hmmm. I think a very question was asked. Is this a weak PS Squad compared to previous years?

I'm looking at the 53 and I don't see a lot of players who made the jump.

Phil Bates? Derrick Coleman? Cooper Helfert? Jermaine Kearse? Deshawn Shead?

That's about 1 per year.

The PS is like the draft....not all will make the 53.

Jville

Reaction score
Is Tom Cable interviewing and auditioning linemen for the Cleveland Browns?

[tweet]https://twitter.com/RavensInsider/status/506484630657437696[/tweet]

CEHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, I have to disagree with the doom and gloom. We lost players to other teams and I still think Allen, Bronson, Daniels, Mathews and Staten will make rosters in the future.

I don't think you can look at depth as the problem in either of our Preseason losses. With Denver we had 10 starters out? Denver had one? And Oakland left their starters in for the whole first half... they will also be pretty good this year.

So I don't think you can point to depth.

drdiags

Reaction score
Just saw this from a Packers blogger/reporter:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/WesHod/status/506220662315180032[/tweet]

Not sure of position yet.

EDIT: I see he is a Guard, having been with the Jaguars the past 2 seasons. IR in 2012, PS in 2013 activated in Dec 17th of last year to the 53-man roster.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drew_Nowak

hawknation2014

Reaction score
drdiags":319p7qbt said:
Just saw this from a Packers blogger/reporter:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/WesHod/status/506220662315180032[/tweet]

Not sure of position yet.

Undrafted, second-year guard who played at Jacksonville. With just nine linemen on the roster, they could use another guard on the PS just to kick his tires. Like J.R. Sweezy, he played defensive tackle in college.

http://www.nfl.com/player/drewnowak/2535836/profile

truehawksfan

Reaction score
Has a team signed Jackson Jeffcoat yet? Toomer and Mayowa are off the table and it's hard to find a LEO.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
truehawksfan":3vi0r70k said:
Has a team signed Jackson Jeffcoat yet? Toomer and Mayowa are off the table and it's hard to find a LEO.

No, he still hasn't signed with anyone. It was confusing to see the coaches trying to turn Jeffcoat into a LB during the preseason. He has unique athleticism and a frame that could stand to gain more weight.

Jville

Reaction score
In addition to being a conversion project, it appears that Drew Nowak got caught up in a scheme change as well. He was 1st introduced to a man scheme under Bratkowski and then asked to fit into more of a zone scheme under George Yarno ..... who Gus brought in to build an offensive line. This should be a great opportunity for Nowak to restart his career in an established program. Wisconsin and Gus Bradley connections are always note worthy.

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
kearly":1gm0cehf said:

Bronson is a solid RB, good enough to hang around NFL rosters, but I was surprised they kept him over Ware. Ware had a rough preseason but he fits a "tough" RB mold that Turbin, Michael, and Bronson do not. I think the departure of Ware is perhaps a clue that Seattle could be targeting a very physical RB somewhere in next year's draft.

I agree fully with your assessment concerning depth this year. Though the roster is still rather deep on the final 53, players 54 to 90 clearly lacked the depth last seasons 90 man roster had. This lack of depth showed time and time again during the preseason - essentially zero second or third team player really stood out to me. After the Raiders game, It seemed that Carroll had a demeanor I had not seen since 2011.

Is there an unwritten rule concerning poaching other teams cuts for the PS? Seattle has a very weak PS this season, and looking around the league, I cannot imagine that players - especially DB's - wouldn't jump at the chance to be on the Seahawks PS. Players like Shaq Richardson and Mo Seisay would seemingly fit perfect in Seattle, but chose to resign with the team that cut them. Maybe Seattle believes that their PS players are better than any other available options?

Jville

Reaction score
Well ...... the rumored additions were all wrong. LOL

Something for lovers of numbers ....
[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/506553956302999552[/tweet][tweet]https://twitter.com/zjwhitman/status/506555990188126208[/tweet][tweet]https://twitter.com/zjwhitman/status/506555415505563648[/tweet]

brettb3

Reaction score
Spleenhawk2.0":aoasnf2u said:
kearly":aoasnf2u said:

I agree fully with your assessment concerning depth this year. Though the roster is still rather deep on the final 53, players 54 to 90 clearly lacked the depth last seasons 90 man roster had. This lack of depth showed time and time again during the preseason - essentially zero second or third team player really stood out to me. After the Raiders game, It seemed that Carroll had a demeanor I had not seen since 2011.

Is there an unwritten rule concerning poaching other teams cuts for the PS? Seattle has a very weak PS this season, and looking around the league, I cannot imagine that players - especially DB's - wouldn't jump at the chance to be on the Seahawks PS. Players like Shaq Richardson and Mo Seisay would seemingly fit perfect in Seattle, but chose to resign with the team that cut them. Maybe Seattle believes that their PS players are better than any other available options?
They just signed a DB to the practice squad. Sounds like a pretty promising one too.

Latest posts