Poll: What is the problem with our Defense?

Poll: What is the main reason for the defensive stink?

• Poor pass rush

Votes: 15 19.2%
  • Too much zone/soft zone

Votes: 30 38.5%
  • Awful secondary play

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • Linebackers are too slow

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Not enough blitzing

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Too much blitzing

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Umm...Norton and Carroll. Fire Norton!

Votes: 30 38.5%
  • Not enough time to be cohesive

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Injuries

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • This poll is awful

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other

Votes: 7 9.0%

• Total voters

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Alright Seahawks fans. Today was a wake up call.

"No it wasn't Jerhawk. We have the worst defense in the league. How was this a wake up call?"

Because we lost. And we got it handed to us. They started out the game down 17-0. They gave up 44 points. It was bad.

So, what say you? What would you point to as the main reason(s) for our defensive struggles?
There's a lot of you Xs and Os gurus out there. Coach us up! I'm looking at you AgentDib, Maulbert, Aros, and others.
You can select up to 3 options :D

My opinions are not meant to influence the thread, but here are my thoughts.
The pass rush is weak. Carroll's defense is reliant on the front four providing a pass rush. This group can't do that.
Granted, they got 7 sacks today, but they had to blitz a lot after Buffalo went up early.
On the back end, our secondary isn't good. Diggs isn't Earl in his prime, and the QB has a lot of open windows to throw to. Adams isn't very good in pass coverage imo. Stephon Diggs turned him around a few times today. Our corners are awful. Dunbar is not good, Flowers is a liability.

Own The West

Reaction score
IMHO, the defense's struggles stem from scheme and continuity.

Scheme, in that we are unable to adapt to our opponent's offense on a weekly basis -- let alone at half time. Too often we hear that the half time adjustments were just a call to "play harder". That's not coaching, that's cheering. Not sure how much of that is on Pete and how much is on Norton, but when plan A is not working it's time for plan B and then C.

Continuity, in that we've had a revolving door at DE, CB, and Safety. I think Dunlap will help hold down the LEO rotation with Robinson, but Green, Collier, Bullard or somebody is going to have to hold down the RDE. CB has been puzzling to me. With Griffin out, all of a sudden Flowers is lights out and Dunbar looks lost. Not sure what's going on there, but it may be related to scheme/help. I do know that when Adams plays our pass defense is non-existent. Sure he may get a sack or make an impact play near the line at some point, but the rest of the time we are playing with only one safety and when Adams does play in coverage he looks to be defending a space and not a man. This may go back to scheme, but we are worse defensively when he's out there, not better. We may have been playing more conservative with Neal, but we also weren't giving up as many points. Perhaps if the revolving door(s) stop, this defense will gain an identity and improve.

Until such time, we are going to get destroyed. The Bills have undressed us and the rest of the league is going to feast until we prove we can defend. Unfortunately, if we don't make strides in the next two weeks Arizona will best us again and take control of the division.

LTH

Reaction score
They were picking on Dunbar because his knees are screwed...like I said before the loss of shaq is big... we need shaq back... the other thing is there is new players on D mixed with players that were hurt and haven't had enough time to play together...

LTH

TypeSly

Reaction score
LTH":3sxi5bap said:
They were picking on Dunbar because his knees are screwed...like I said before the loss of shaq is big... we need shaq back... the other thing is there is new players on D mixed with players that were hurt and haven't had enough time to play together...

LTH

Yeah, but that is still on the coaching. You would think that they could have figured this out before 3 1/2 quarters had gone by.

Rat

Reaction score
Since Bobby Wagner eight years ago, who is the best defensive player we've drafted, Shaquill Griffin? We have some evaluation issues.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Other: shitty drafting in the last several years. Blame coordinators all you want, but we really don't have any impact players on defense.

Bobby and KJ are older and can't really cover. Adams was very expensive and can't do it all by himself. Reed is so-so. Everyone else on defense is average to below average at best.

uniform

Reaction score
What everyone of you failed to mention is that the Couch needs to play Jordyn Brooke's more. When have Jamal and Jordan even been on the field at the same time ?

Our rookie looks good when he is playing. He is fast like Jamal and a smash hitting machine. Both he and Jamal are similar in size and strength of hitting, like ol what's his name KAM the hard hitting part of the Legion of Boom. At least the two on the field together playing Safety - Linebacker. Both have the passion of Kam Chancellor. Our rookie deserves playing time to make a name for himself. I see both Jamal and Jordan on the field playing at the same time as being nothing but good things happening out there. Regardless of what other players, the Coach needs to start them both in the 1st quarter of the game.

diver110

Reaction score
Run defense we could live with, though hardly world class. Pass defense is pathetic.

uniform

Reaction score
Brook's is known for making lots of PD it's always been a part of his game. Jamal's pass coverage would be less of a liability with Brook's in the game. Both have speed and power.

PNW

Reaction score
Other: the recent past we drafted like crap on Defense, our Scheme is the worst, we suck at on the fly adjustments and we always seem to get out coached.

uniform

Reaction score
What do you think about our rookie Brook's ? I think he deserves more playing time. Good things happen when he plays.

uniform

Reaction score
Both Russell Wilson and Jordan Brook's are good Christians. Many players with Seattle are outspoken Christians. I am a Christian too. I know what the most important thing in life is.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Personnel might explain why we are less than fantastic. Maybe even less than average.

But when you dip into the 'worst there ever was and likely ever will be' category...then it is coaching.

Because this is not the worst defensive roster to ever exist. Or even close. Not even sure this is the worst defensive roster in the league now.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Coaching, scheme and cohesiveness in that order.

hawk45

Reaction score
I think Top Billin is a good watch regarding our D.

Coaches don’t trust the secondary, including diggs, enough to play aggressively, and we can’t generate the pressure to mitigate.

Interestingly he shows the bills first TD I think where the scheme was for flowers to have a deep third and instead of getting deep like he was supposed to he stayed up for the curl route leaving his deep third vacant and diggs couldn’t clean it up.

So that’s a case of the scheme not mattering whatsoever because the execution sucked.

But generally he sees the same thing we see: Dunbar and flowers playing 10 yards off. Which to him isn’t KNJ drawing up the “cover nobody” coverage but rather Pete and KNJ drawing up the “our secondary sucks let’s not give up big plays and hope the opposing offense gets tired of marching down the field” coverage.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Our secondary was supposed to be one of our biggest strengths this year. It's tough to explain looking at our roster, but our secondary has been just the opposite. Blair was considered to be our best cover guy, but we lost him right out of the gate. Is that the reason? Significant loss, but I would never pin "the reason" on one player.
Soft zone is a better choice. Any time you depend on, or are relegated to, making plays in the secondary you are giving up yards, sometimes a lot of yards. We're doing both and doing it consistently. Being consistent is usually a coach's goal. I'm sure this isn't one of those times.
Takes one heck of an 'adjustment' to move from dead last to middle of the pack. I can't see a mid-season adjustment tweak making up that kind of distance.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Appyhawk":2it8euv2 said:
Our secondary was supposed to be one of our biggest strengths this year. It's tough to explain looking at our roster, but our secondary has been just the opposite. Blair was considered to be our best cover guy, but we lost him right out of the gate. Is that the reason? Significant loss, but I would never pin "the reason" on one player.
Soft zone is a better choice. Any time you depend on, or are relegated to, making plays in the secondary you are giving up yards, sometimes a lot of yards. We're doing both and doing it consistently. Being consistent is usually a coach's goal. I'm sure this isn't one of those times.
Takes one heck of an 'adjustment' to move from dead last to middle of the pack. I can't see a mid-season adjustment tweak making up that kind of distance.

Secondary, probably more than any other position group except maybe O-line requires reps and flawless communication to operate successfully...........on top of talent.

How many games have all four DB's been healthy playing together? One? Two? Adams went out, then Dubar's knee, now Griffin's injuries. Add in Dunbar being gone all of the shortened camp for his legal issues, and no pre season games.

I still have faith that these guys can play well, even exceptionally. But unfortunately it might take an entire off season and next year before we see it. The combo of health and not practicing and playing together is causing serious problems.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
uniform":2h3unagf said:
What do you think about our rookie Brook's ? I think he deserves more playing time. Good things happen when he plays.

Agreed. I'm actually thinking this might have been a really decent pick. Particularly since I've long been a fan of pre drafting ahead of need. And although I liked Queen better -- I think for the role and fit, Brooks is a better choice.

I like that he's been in on a lot of plays. He appears pretty instinctive, particularly given that he didn't get the benefit of a training camp. He does however seem hesitant in many respects and I think that's completely normal given the way this year has unfolded. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the game is just too fast for him right now. Although I suspect he'll still appear to be a 'bust' by early rookie year standards, I do think he'll emerge next season as a real impact player for us, based on what I've seen in limited action thus far.

hoxrox

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":14vamrkn said:
Personnel might explain why we are less than fantastic. Maybe even less than average.

But when you dip into the 'worst there ever was and likely ever will be' category...then it is coaching.

Because this is not the worst defensive roster to ever exist. Or even close. Not even sure this is the worst defensive roster in the league now.

We're not the worse defensive roster, and Norton / injuries have definitely been a problem this year, but when was the last time we drafted an IMPACT player on defense? Frank Clark?

Meanwhile most our defensive picks and trades have been horrible. Giving up the farm for one-year rental players like Sheldon Richardson and Clowney. Whiffing on top picks such as McDowell and Collier. Blair and Brooks have potential, but it remains to be seen.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
For the past 8 games, you have seen the defense give a huge space cushion to receivers and they have been getting gashed repeatedly.

Carroll needs to play press man to man bump and run to shorten throw windows and allow the defensive line to get coverage sacks and pressures.

I don’t know why Carroll has gone away from this.

It’s no secret, get in the receivers face and hands on them for as much as legally possible and the throws won’t be as easy to make.

This will help Seattle get more pressure and add to interception rates.

Carroll has just stopped doing this like he does not trust the secondary to play this effectively, but giving such a huge cushion is definitely adding to the defenses inability to stop offenses.

So do something different!

Play press man bump and run!

Jeez, it’s not that hard to switch things up!