POLL: Seattle suffers 9er roster losses - how do you cope?

POLL: Seattle suffers 9er roster losses - how do you cope?

• Hell yeah, no problem, we're going to SB50 with Wilson anyway!

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Still good, I think...

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Err, what? Wait a minute, where's the run game? Who's on defense now?

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Sheesh, this isn't looking good, does 7-9 still qualify?

Votes: 20 47.6%
  • Pass me the bottle and the pills, honey, I'm getting out now.

Votes: 10 23.8%

• Total voters
OP
OP
uncle fester

uncle fester

Reaction score
Interesting answers.

It does go back to my initial thought about webzone fans claiming everything will be just fine despite all the losses. In particular, the replacement of a 43-sacks-in-42-games-pass-rusher with a rookie who has yet to play a down.

As I suspected, whilst .net has a representation of rose-tinted glass wearers, there's a greater percentage of the population that would be realistic in the face of such odds.

NB: I think tempting fate with such a scientific poll as this is right up there with emails that promise you 'unicorns with cash-laden saddle bags if you pass this on in the next five minutes' or 'a plague of Oompa Lumpas spreading cancer-ridden peanut butter on your door if you don't' but that's just me. Failing everything, I would like to calm the nerves of Sutz, Mizzou and others by saying I do live in a large farming area, so have access to large numbers of potentially-sacrificial chickens and there's a knife in the kitchen downstairs :)

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
We have to appreciate the "glory days" while they are here, because you just don't know long they will last.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
How do I cope? Depends. Does Seattle also get a World Series title and an NBA championship to fall back?

Hawks46

Reaction score
I went with still good....I think.

I'd still think we could go 9-7 and be a fringe playoff team. Problem is, that's football purgatory for most teams....unless you have your QB, which we would.

If we lost Bennett, I'm confident in Clark. Now, we lose production this year, but I think Clark actually has more upside. He's got better college tape, and is much, much more athletic than Bennett. He's the same size, with longer arms and more strength.

We wouldn't lose Sherman, as the Niners kept their highest rated CB. We lost Maxwell, which is what happened, and we replaced him. Cook = Simon, and that's not a big deal. We've lived without Simon for the most part for 2 years. We also have Smith, Blackmon, Burley, Shead and Seisay. Losing Sherm would really suck, but outside of him and Thomas, I'm confident in PC and JS to replace and coach up literally everyone in the secondary.

Irvin's replacement in on the roster. I would say Avril would be similar to losing Smith, and that would be a drop off but we could slide Irvin over and also use Marsh. So, similar to Bennett: we'd lose some production this year, but the upside is still there and we have depth in place. Irvin isn't as polished as Avril, but he's more athletic and he's finally "gotten it" on the field.

Wagner would hurt. Especially without a plan. We'd slide Wright over, but it would affect us.

Lynch is the heart and soul of this team, and when he does go, it's going to hurt. There's also no real replacement for him. There's no one like him in the league and inevitably there will be a drop off. Wilson is going to have to play a bit better, but having Graham would help us balance this out. We'd have to pass a bit more than we do now, but we'd also finally get to see what CMike is going to bring to the table.

Carroll would be the biggest loss to us. He's flipped this roster before when he took over, and he did it with a LOT less. So if this did happen, we'd be in far better shape than the Niners. Losing him would signal the end, and I'm dreading it. The atmosphere he promotes, and his ability to find talent, work with Schneider and coach up young talent is going to be very hard to replace. Also, his ability to find assistants and position coaches might be the best in the league. We lost Bradley and actually got better.

ringless

Reaction score
I remember thinking last year when we started 9-1 before losing all our key players how much I had been enjoying the ride of the last past 2 seasons. Thinking about how windows are short more often than not in football. Winning is not easy, a lot of it is talent and a lot of it is culture.

You might have 53 guys playing for your team, but when the going gets tough some of those guys don't put in 100%. Taking a a single play off in a game can cost your team a game. Instead of going 10-6 making the playoffs your now 9-7 because they didn't play through the whistle or give 100%. Every player truly has to believe you are going to win.

I know we have had teams in the past that didn't play through the whistle on every play. Since Arians came into town he changed the culture and they play through the whistle. We have a winning culture. Im not sure the same can be said for SF right now. I would be jumping off the bridge. Losing in football as a fan is hard because its something we care deeply about. We look forward to every year. But when you have players quitting the team, coaches that don't even want a promotion to coach their. A FO that leaks and whispers information I think it breeds a culture that is hard to win in.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
uncle fester":stx673tm said:
Interesting answers.

It does go back to my initial thought about webzone fans claiming everything will be just fine despite all the losses. In particular, the replacement of a 43-sacks-in-42-games-pass-rusher with a rookie who has yet to play a down.

As I suspected, whilst .net has a representation of rose-tinted glass wearers, there's a greater percentage of the population that would be realistic in the face of such odds.

NB: I think tempting fate with such a scientific poll as this is right up there with emails that promise you 'unicorns with cash-laden saddle bags if you pass this on in the next five minutes' or 'a plague of Oompa Lumpas spreading cancer-ridden peanut butter on your door if you don't' but that's just me. Failing everything, I would like to calm the nerves of Sutz, Mizzou and others by saying I do live in a large farming area, so have access to large numbers of potentially-sacrificial chickens and there's a knife in the kitchen downstairs :)

You leave my unicorns out of this....my pixie dust will hurt....I will give it to the trolls and gnomes....mainly the TROLLS. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

SF49r

Reaction score
Enjoy it while you can hawks fans, it can go away just like that before you know it. You guys have it great right now, locked up all of your core players who are all really young entering there prime, can't get any better than that. I started watching football in 2003 after the 39-38 comeback win over the Giants in the wildcard game first football game I have ever went to. Jumped onto the bandwagon immediately. Then after that all I ever got to watch was a mediocre team for years. These past 3 years have been an absolute blast even if we didn't win it all once, just seeing the bad team that I was used to seeing be one of the top teams 3 years in a row was just amazing for me. Then poof just like that its all gone and now were looking like we are going to suck again. Seeing all of this crumble in one off-season has been heartbreaking but I've come to accept it, like I said I started watching a bad 49ers team so if this season we are going to go back to that then so be it. 4-12 or 12-4 still going to be a fan forever and nothing is ever going to change that.

chris98251

Reaction score
SF49r":3u2a83j5 said:
Enjoy it while you can hawks fans, it can go away just like that before you know it. You guys have it great right now, locked up all of your core players who are all really young entering there prime, can't get any better than that. I started watching football in 2003 after the 39-38 comeback win over the Giants in the wildcard game first football game I have ever went to. Jumped onto the bandwagon immediately. Then after that all I ever got to watch was a mediocre team for years. These past 3 years have been an absolute blast even if we didn't win it all once, just seeing the bad team that I was used to seeing be one of the top teams 3 years in a row was just amazing for me. Then poof just like that its all gone and now were looking like we are going to suck again. Seeing all of this crumble in one off-season has been heartbreaking but I've come to accept it, like I said I started watching a bad 49ers team so if this season we are going to go back to that then so be it. 4-12 or 12-4 still going to be a fan forever and nothing is ever going to change that.

Good Post dude, we rib ya all but we all hate seeing what was a very good rivalry being dismantled.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":1zfv5ofg said:
I lived through the Behring years. How would I cope? Same way I did then. Same way I am with the Mariners right now.
LMAO, you nailed it............ sadly!

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
SF49r":23nktnrr said:
Great post. Most of us long time Seattle sports fans have put up with crap to mediocre teams most of our lives.
I will enjoy the ride every second it lasts however long that is. :th2thumbs:

Marvin49

Reaction score
themunn":sltl8vp8 said:
I don't think a number of those are fair comparisons, players like Culliver and Iupati can be directly compared with Maxwell and Carpenter, Willis was already injured and no big loss, Crabtree was maybe a target for Kaepernick before, but after signing Boldin, he definitely became the number 2 receiver (Kearse).

Also, if we suffered those losses we'd surely have targetted equal replacements - they replaced J.Smith with Dockett, Crabtree with Torrey Smith, Gore with Bush - all of whom are equal or better replacements.

And Davis will likely be back in 2016, better to look at it as a one year IR for him instead.

But if we suffered the losses you mentioned?
I think 8-8 is still achievable with Wilson at the helm and ET + Kam, but it would be tough, for sure. It would depend on whether we hired a functional coach or had a Niners-esque replacement.

Kinda goes both ways.

Culliver is nowhere near Shermans Level. Losing Irvin is nothing compared to losing Aldon.

Also...Niners didn't replace Gore with Bush. Bush will get some playing time, but Hyde is most likely the workhorse there.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Lol if that happened to the Rams, the Rams would have the number one pick....no doubt about it.

At least the Niners are looking at a 4-8 win season depending on how things shake out.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Ramfan128":2zr1xgrn said:
Lol if that happened to the Rams, the Rams would have the number one pick....no doubt about it.

At least the Niners are looking at a 4-8 win season depending on how things shake out.

The rams don't need those things to happen to play well enough for the first overall pick.