POLL: Seattle suffers 9er roster losses - how do you cope?

POLL: Seattle suffers 9er roster losses - how do you cope?

• Hell yeah, no problem, we're going to SB50 with Wilson anyway!

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Still good, I think...

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Err, what? Wait a minute, where's the run game? Who's on defense now?

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Sheesh, this isn't looking good, does 7-9 still qualify?

Votes: 20 47.6%
  • Pass me the bottle and the pills, honey, I'm getting out now.

Votes: 10 23.8%

• Total voters

uncle fester

Reaction score
Been thinking about webzone posters talking up the rookie taking Aldon Smith's place, 'next man up', all that.

Got me to thinking. How confident would you be, going in to 2015 with the same things happening to the Seahawks? Rams/Cardinals fans feel free to chip in with your own versions.

Here's the comparisons - 9er fans, apologies if I get some position comparisons wrong;

RB - Gore - Lynch.

LG Iupati - Up for grabs since Carp left. For the sake of argument, let's give it to Bailey. Next man up would be most appropriate here, though Bailey was doing a good enough job last season when called on (I thought so anyway, but I spent a lot of time watching the pass pro from behind my fingers) Could also include Bailey as a Jonathan Martin style loss, as Bailey had backed up Okung at LT.
RT Davis - Britt.
WR Crabtree - Baldwin.
Using Doug here as Crabtree was a favoured target of Kaepernick in a similar fashion to Wilson.

ILB Willis - Wagner.
ILB Borland - Coyle Backup for backup.
OLB Smith - Irvin
DE Smith - Bennett
CB Culliver - Sherman
(Going by the 2014 starting roster here, 9er fans, feel free to correct)
CB Cook - As a backup LCB, let's say Simon here.

Head Coach - Harbaugh - Carroll. Along with this goes your team philosophy, Win Forever, Always Compete, the whole shebang. Carroll - for the sake of this argument - is replaced by the D line coach (as was Harbaugh) by Travis Jones. Yes it's a dumb move, (Cable?) but many would argue the same goes in SF. Wilson then has to learn a new offense, and the new coaches ask him to change his game.

OC - Roman - Bevell. Now, now, let's not all have a party...This is a scientific poll.
DC - Fangio - Richard

And for the hell of it, let's pretend Jimmy Graham is going through the same loss of form as Vernon Davis.

So that's what's missing on your 2015 Seahawks. What say you, fellow .netters?

chris98251

Reaction score
uncle fester":1zs9hbds said:
Been thinking about webzone posters talking up the rookie taking Aldon Smith's place, 'next man up', all that.

Got me to thinking. How confident would you be, going in to 2015 with the same things happening to the Seahawks? Rams/Cardinals fans feel free to chip in with your own versions.

Here's the comparisons - 9er fans, apologies if I get some position comparisons wrong;

RB - Gore - Lynch.

LG Iupati - Up for grabs since Carp left. For the sake of argument, let's give it to Bailey. Next man up would be most appropriate here, though Bailey was doing a good enough job last season when called on (I thought so anyway, but I spent a lot of time watching the pass pro from behind my fingers) Could also include Bailey as a Jonathan Martin style loss, as Bailey had backed up Okung at LT.
RT Davis - Britt.
WR Crabtree - Baldwin.
Using Doug here as Crabtree was a favoured target of Kaepernick in a similar fashion to Wilson.

ILB Willis - Wagner.
OLB Smith - Irvin
DE Smith - Bennett
CB Culliver - Sherman

Head Coach - Harbaugh - Carroll. Along with this goes your team philosophy, Win Forever, Always Compete, the whole shebang. Carroll - for the sake of this argument - is replaced by the D line coach (as was Harbaugh) by Travis Jones. Yes it's a dumb move, (Cable?) but many would argue the same goes in SF. Wilson then has to learn a new offense, and the new coaches ask him to change his game.

OC - Roman - Bevell. Now, now, let's not all have a party...This is a scientific poll.
DC - Fangio - Richard

And for the hell of it, let's pretend Jimmy Graham is going through the same loss of form as Vernon Davis.

Been there done that, we had Paul Allen come in and bail us out after Ken Behring, all we need to see now is Tomsula do a drunk interview and get arrested like Dennis Erickson :)

sutz

Reaction score
No vote. Where's the 'worst bad karma generating post in the world' option? :shock:

Damn, guy. You'd better be buying a truckload of chickens to sacrifice if you're going to tempt fate like that. :laugh:

drdiags

Reaction score
Probably would feel like I did at the end of Mora's 1 yr.

The housecleaning Pete did the next year was painful to some but was needed. I would not be very optimistic. Playing talented young guys isn't a problem, it helps them either become established vets or quickly shown they cannot cope.

kearly

Reaction score
The biggest loss by far would be the head coach. If we lost all those people but kept Carroll, I'd still feel pretty good about the team in the long term and though we'd probably stumble in 2015, Pete has made the Hawks fringe contenders with less.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
It would be bad. Losing all those coaches and then all those players as well..it would suck. And on top of that Jimmy Graham is playing like Vernon Davis....fringe playoff team at best.

chris98251

Reaction score
Actually I am waiting for the movie, this stuff is too good not to use as a film of some sort, Longest Yard has already been done, but the 49ers could have filled that roster out.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
We've had enough of our own coaching/management/ownership turmoil and disgruntled players and injuries etc. in the past that I'm not going to spend any time hypothesizing what we'd be like with another team's issues.

themunn

Reaction score
I don't think a number of those are fair comparisons, players like Culliver and Iupati can be directly compared with Maxwell and Carpenter, Willis was already injured and no big loss, Crabtree was maybe a target for Kaepernick before, but after signing Boldin, he definitely became the number 2 receiver (Kearse).

Also, if we suffered those losses we'd surely have targetted equal replacements - they replaced J.Smith with Dockett, Crabtree with Torrey Smith, Gore with Bush - all of whom are equal or better replacements.

And Davis will likely be back in 2016, better to look at it as a one year IR for him instead.

But if we suffered the losses you mentioned?
I think 8-8 is still achievable with Wilson at the helm and ET + Kam, but it would be tough, for sure. It would depend on whether we hired a functional coach or had a Niners-esque replacement.

jdblack

Reaction score
It helps a lot if I can get one or two decent Seahawks fantasy players in a money league.

HAWKAMANIA

Reaction score
How would I cope? What's the tallest bridge in Seattle?
I'd stand near the edge and thank the football gods I wasn't born a Niners fan.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
uncle fester":htcejqys said:

RB - Gore - Lynch.

RT Davis - Britt.
WR Crabtree - Baldwin.

ILB Willis - Wagner.
OLB Smith - Irvin
DE Smith - Bennett
CB Culliver - Sherman

DC - Fangio - Richard

It won't happen until Allen sells the team or dies. The train wreck happening in Santa Clara is almost on the Cleveland Browns level. I still can't actually believe the 49ers are flirting with being us in the dark days of Behring. Otherwise I'm with Sutz, no vote and quit tempting Fate. She's very fickle.

rideaducati

Reaction score
All of the niner problems are self inflicted with a bit of karma thrown in for their lovely fans.

Baalke has drafted poorly with a quantity of picks instead of quality of picks. Add to that Baalke hiring a coach that didn't play the quantity of young guys in games so that they would be ready when the older guys were injured or left. They allowed their own roster to become one of the oldest in the league while playing more games than any other team in that three year period and then they got complacent and kept the same old team together. They allowed their players to run wild and did NOTHING but try to cover things up while spouting "above reproach". It took arrest number 11 to get them to finally release a player, but that was the third such incident for that player with the first two being covered up as best they could. Their fans wished serious injury and death upon opponents players and coaches.

This couldn't have happened to a more deserving team and fanbase.

Seattle won't have to suffer the type of offseason the niners have had because they don't do the things the niners have done to get to where they have gotten.

Smellyman

Reaction score
It has been pointed out, but if we had Balke and Tomsula, I'd have no faith so pass me the pills and bottle.

But with Pete and John , no worries.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
By realizing its only a game and compared to the rest of life, it really doesn't mean much. It's just entertainment.