Pocic / Ifedi

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
White Devil":3k0c6176 said:
Pocic has potential, it's way too early to declare one way or the other for him.

Ifedi moves like Frankenstein. He is consistently beat with a speed rush. IMO he's way too slow to be a good tackle. I think he would be better as a guard, but I'm not positive. I don't think Ifedi makes it as a starter past this season, I hope.

He has irritated me a few times but I try to keep perspective that he is a rookie and he is not as bad as many of the other guards we have had. He is still not good though. I've seen him miss assignments on pass protection and run blocking on a consistent basis. He also got absolutely blown up in the Redskins game on the next to last play causing RW to get sacked. As long as he keeps improving seems like that's all we can ask from him. Couple more games with Brown should help with his missed assignments, especially once Brown gets more comfortable.

Click watch on youtube. Play :)18) sec in. Not a campaign against the guy. Just giving an example of how frustrating he can be. Bad time to get pancaked.
[youtube]85p3CRtA3H4[/youtube]

THE TABS

Reaction score
In agreement with the general consensus here.

I do like Pocic. He does need a year to get stronger to avoid getting beat on the bull rush. In the past, we’ve always drafted big linemen with little athleticism, so Pocic represents a philosophy shift. We needed to get more athletic up front. We saw what one off season in the weight room did for George Fant, so hopefully Pocic can do the same thing.

Ifedi, on the other hand, is what he is; our new James Carpenter. He just doesn’t have the mobility or the footwork to thrive in our system, but at the same time, he’s not completely hopeless either. If the rest of the line is stabilized, you can give him help and make it work, but we’re not at that point yet.

I’d like to draft a guard with our #1 in April (Will Hernandez PLEASE), and put him at RG. If Fant can make it all the way back from surgery, have him compete with Ifedi at RT.

White Devil

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":3vfun49j said:
Is ifedi a second yr player or 10th yr player? You guys act like he is a seasoned vet and isn't still learning. He is a year ahead of pocic. Pocic gets pushed around but its OK. Ifedi gets beat, he sucks!

This was going on for ifedi by people last year when he was a rookie. I don't think ifedi is that bad for a second year guy. Pocic is gonna be goof but needs weight and more strength.

I bet both will eventually be average to good by end of career.

Ifedi is only in his 2nd year, but it's pretty easy to see that he moves his feet like he's in quicksand. When you're a Tackle and get beat on the speed rush as consistently as Ifedi does, it's easier to condemn his play.

Pocic hasn't even started for more than a handful of games. I think that's the difference.

Ifedi is big and long...(phrasing)...that's why Cable has him playing where he is. The problem is that he can't move is feet and his leverage usually sucks. Here's a great example of him being tossed aside, because of his poor balance, with 1 arm.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/SamuelRGold/status/925536629288243200[/tweet]

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Ifedi is playing out of position he's a guard not a tackle. At some point they will have to concede this but it might not be until the next training camp .

mrt144

Reaction score
HAWKAMANIA":srdywgqf said:
I agree about Pocic but Ifedi is absolutely terrible. Slow feet, slow hands, consistently kills momentum. He easily the worst thing about this team.

Whoa whoa whoa...

You blame pitbulls or the owner who loves projecting a tough image but does nothing in training them?

mrt144

Reaction score
425HawkSpark":2ycemage said:
Ifiedi has aweful feet. He uses his arms to much. That’s why guys run right by him. He can’t scuttle his feet fast enough to stay square on his guy. Brown can move his feet.

Cable should force Ifedi to gallop and skip for 2 weeks straight. No normal steps ever!

mrt144

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":23pk9jr9 said:
Is ifedi a second yr player or 10th yr player? You guys act like he is a seasoned vet and isn't still learning. He is a year ahead of pocic. Pocic gets pushed around but its OK. Ifedi gets beat, he sucks!

This was going on for ifedi by people last year when he was a rookie. I don't think ifedi is that bad for a second year guy. Pocic is gonna be goof but needs weight and more strength.

Do you want to place any bets on their careers ending with the Hawks. Or getting 2nd contracts even?

HAWKAMANIA

Reaction score
mrt144":18brx0y3 said:
HAWKAMANIA":18brx0y3 said:
I agree about Pocic but Ifedi is absolutely terrible. Slow feet, slow hands, consistently kills momentum. He easily the worst thing about this team.

Whoa whoa whoa...

You blame pitbulls or the owner who loves projecting a tough image but does nothing in training them?

This is a combination of both. He’s just not very good and his coaches have done jack squat to help him.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Ifedi was drafted in the first round of 2016 draft due to his athleticism. He was the guy that the coaches/FO chose as the best player on the chart (at the time) for what they wanted to do. They like athletic, quick guys. They felt that Ifedi was the best one on the board. They were wrong as they have been so many times with their decisions on the OL. That's why it doesn't bother me one bit that they gave up a 3rd round pick for Brown. They don't have to waste a pick on a young lineman. Plus they have a proven vet, Brown, that Cable can't ruin with his coaching.

chris98251

Reaction score
hawkfan68":37554hpd said:
Ifedi was drafted in the first round of 2016 draft due to his athleticism. He was the guy that the coaches/FO chose as the best player on the chart (at the time) for what they wanted to do. They like athletic, quick guys. They felt that Ifedi was the best one on the board. They were wrong as they have been so many times with their decisions on the OL. That's why it doesn't bother me one bit that they gave up a 3rd round pick for Brown. They don't have to waste a pick on a young lineman. Plus they have a proven vet, Brown, that Cable can't ruin with his coaching.

You should never underestimate Cable.

A-Dog

Reaction score
THE TABS":qmig3qzz said:
I’d like to draft a guard with our #1 in April (Will Hernandez PLEASE), and put him at RG.
Not in favor of this

The "we don't invest in the OL" argument no longer holds water

Ifedi - 1st round draft pick
Brown - 1st round draft pick (traded 2nd and 3rd round picks)
Joekel - 1st round draft pick (signed as a FA for $8M APY)
Britt - 2nd round draft pick (re-signed for $9M APY)
Pocic - 2nd round draft pick

Odhiambo - 3rd round draft pick
Glowinski - 4th round draft pick

We have to develop these guys. At this point, if we can't, we probably need to re-think our blocking scheme and OL coach.

Tinymac2

Reaction score
Rawls was suppose to bust it up the LG/C gap. Ifedi got beat because he took the play off thinking all he had to do was seal. I'm not saying Ifedi doesn't deserve critiquing but that one's on Rawls.

Guys and gals, you have to go up and get really good offensive lineman. Tackles 1-20 and guards right behind that. You can't praise trader John for trading down every year and then hammer coaches on a oline sporting 1 seahawk first rounder at 31 or something and then a bunch of 3 rounders.

I hope they have revamped their oline metrics when looking at future draft prospects.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Tinymac2":24em71ij said:
Rawls was suppose to bust it up the LG/C gap. Ifedi got beat because he took the play off thinking all he had to do was seal. I'm not saying Ifedi doesn't deserve critiquing but that one's on Rawls.

Guys and gals, you have to go up and get really good offensive lineman. Tackles 1-20 and guards right behind that. You can't praise trader John for trading down every year and then hammer coaches on a oline sporting 1 seahawk first rounder at 31 or something and then a bunch of 3 rounders.

I hope they have revamped their oline metrics when looking at future draft prospects.

trader John :lol:

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
mrt144":2g2crwki said:
Shanegotyou11":2g2crwki said:

Do you want to place any bets on their careers ending with the Hawks. Or getting 2nd contracts even?

I don't know about Here but won't be out of football anytime soon. I mean you guys said carpenter and okung wouldn't go anywhere and would be done. Welp?

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
A-Dog":7d0no9uu said:
THE TABS":7d0no9uu said:
I’d like to draft a guard with our #1 in April (Will Hernandez PLEASE), and put him at RG.
Not in favor of this

We have to develop these guys. At this point, if we can't, we probably need to re-think our blocking scheme and OL coach.

Just now we need to rethink our blocking scheme and OL coach? Look at that list of linemen. Brown is good. Britt is good, but had to be moved from his original position before he finally clicked. Joekel has never been any good regardless of where he was drafted and we should have known what we were getting before or when we ignorantly over paid for him. Ifedi, Odhiambo, and Glowinski will never be any good. Ifedi might possibly make it at a guard position I suppose, but he's just way to slow to play tackle. Pocic needs another year before we can really judge him but right now he's not very good, but I truly believe they drafted him thinking Britt was going to leave anyways. Hell Fant was a dumpster fire last season and it was highly unlikely he was going to be any better this season. Cable has never been shown to be able to develop the linemen since he's been here. Why would he start now?

chris98251

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":uy8t12zl said:
A-Dog":uy8t12zl said:
THE TABS":uy8t12zl said:
Not in favor of this

Just now we need to rethink our blocking scheme and OL coach? Look at that list of linemen. Brown is good. Britt is good, but had to be moved from his original position before he finally clicked. Joekel has never been any good regardless of where he was drafted and we should have known what we were getting before or when we ignorantly over paid for him. Ifedi, Odhiambo, and Glowinski will never be any good. Ifedi might possibly make it at a guard position I suppose, but he's just way to slow to play tackle. Pocic needs another year before we can really judge him but right now he's not very good, but I truly believe they drafted him thinking Britt was going to leave anyways. Hell Fant was a dumpster fire last season and it was highly unlikely he was going to be any better this season. Cable has never been shown to be able to develop the linemen since he's been here. Why would he start now?

Cable has been credited for having top notch run games using the ZBS, that was before the rule changes, then look at the casualty list of QB's that have been behind those lines. He admits that he doesn't worry about pass blocking, the QB's in Oakland can attest to that from their IR reports over the time he was there. He had the same issues there as here, Gallery was drafted as a can't miss LT but failed in the ZBS, was moved to Guard finally and was very good for them and initially was here just to teach the concepts to our players.

Pete is enamored with the ZBS because it with the right back can be very dominating, if the lineman are allowed to crack back and cut block, which they are not anymore. Denver used it well with Terrell Davis also.

The league has changed the scope of whats allowed and the ZBS has been neutered, it's core was smaller quick and agile lineman, we have big powerful athletes trying to be quick and agile and make it to a spot and or target. Defenders now are the quick and agile guys that simply side step around our guys and plug holes or are in the backfield before the play gets started because were blocking a zone and not a man.

When we go power run we are on a man to man target for holes many times with a FB leading to take out the safety and or linebacker so the RB can read and cut. Now the RB has to wait and hope the hole develops then make his cut and run, if the hole doesn't develop then it's oh shit now I have to make something happen and or run thru a guy. Lynch was strong enough and had great balance and could run thru a lot of initial hits to get to the line and make yards, not every back is like that. Carson is really strong in his legs so can also run thru tackles.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":149uu6nc said:
Ifedi is playing out of position he's a guard not a tackle. At some point they will have to concede this but it might not be until the next training camp .

and he was the worst guard in the league last year. Pocic has already looked better than him at guard. Glowinski was better than him at guard. Now the slow footed, forward leaning Ifedi was moved to Tackle? It was always a bad move.

mrt144

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":2e8l05r3 said:
mrt144":2e8l05r3 said:
Shanegotyou11":2e8l05r3 said:

I don't know about Here but won't be out of football anytime soon. I mean you guys said carpenter and okung wouldn't go anywhere and would be done. Welp?

I never said that, i thought either would be stupid to re up with us given the coaching and salary

mrt144

Reaction score
chris98251":3jseknt6 said:
pittpnthrs":3jseknt6 said:
A-Dog":3jseknt6 said:
THE TABS":3jseknt6 said:
Not in favor of this

Cable has been credited for having top notch run games using the ZBS, that was before the rule changes, then look at the casualty list of QB's that have been behind those lines. He admits that he doesn't worry about pass blocking, the QB's in Oakland can attest to that from their IR reports over the time he was there. He had the same issues there as here, Gallery was drafted as a can't miss LT but failed in the ZBS, was moved to Guard finally and was very good for them and initially was here just to teach the concepts to our players.

Pete is enamored with the ZBS because it with the right back can be very dominating, if the lineman are allowed to crack back and cut block, which they are not anymore. Denver used it well with Terrell Davis also.

The league has changed the scope of whats allowed and the ZBS has been neutered, it's core was smaller quick and agile lineman, we have big powerful athletes trying to be quick and agile and make it to a spot and or target. Defenders now are the quick and agile guys that simply side step around our guys and plug holes or are in the backfield before the play gets started because were blocking a zone and not a man.

When we go power run we are on a man to man target for holes many times with a FB leading to take out the safety and or linebacker so the RB can read and cut. Now the RB has to wait and hope the hole develops then make his cut and run, if the hole doesn't develop then it's oh shit now I have to make something happen and or run thru a guy. Lynch was strong enough and had great balance and could run thru a lot of initial hits to get to the line and make yards, not every back is like that. Carson is really strong in his legs so can also run thru tackles.

Exactly! Cable needs his ideal back, almost a generational talent to get the run game going under the current ruleset. He is a fossil.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I don't think Cable needs a generational back. He just needs one who could be called a starter. He hasn't had even that since the end of 2014, with Rawls providing only occasional flashes.