Pleased to introduce the Ducks QB for next season

kearly

Reaction score
Not surprised. Alabama seemed like an odd suitor.

My expectation is that Prukop will have a game manager type role with Oregon this year for a long list of reasons. He's raw as a passer, he's got zero power conference experience, he's new to the team, receivers, and offense, and they won't need to throw the ball 40 times a game very often with Prukop and Freeman being good runners. I think it will be a little bit like Stanford's offense with Hogan and McCaffrey, or maybe like Ohio State when Braxton Miller was their QB.

Oregon's offense will be good, but IMO it will be Prukop complimenting Freeman and not the other way around. Not that it's easy to stop Freeman, but I think teams that slow down the run will have a good chance to beat Oregon.

The key for Oregon will be improving the defense, because being a run first team and having a defense ranked in the bottom area of the power conferences isn't going to work. Its hard to win shootouts on the ground on a regular basis.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I think its ridiculous that teams are now recruiting players from other teams. This needs to stop and I expect the NCAA will be addressing this at some point.

CPHawk

Reaction score
kearly":1hz6oein said:
Not surprised. Alabama seemed like an odd suitor.

My expectation is that Prukop will have a game manager type role with Oregon this year for a long list of reasons. He's raw as a passer, he's got zero power conference experience, he's new to the team, receivers, and offense, and they won't need to throw the ball 40 times a game very often with Prukop and Freeman being good runners. I think it will be a little bit like Stanford's offense with Hogan and McCaffrey, or maybe like Ohio State when Braxton Miller was their QB.

Oregon's offense will be good, but IMO it will be Prukop complimenting Freeman and not the other way around. Not that it's easy to stop Freeman, but I think teams that slow down the run will have a good chance to beat Oregon.

The key for Oregon will be improving the defense, because being a run first team and having a defense ranked in the bottom area of the power conferences isn't going to work. Its hard to win shootouts on the ground on a regular basis.

You do know Oregon has lead the Pac 10/12 in rushing for 10 years in a row? And you'd be hard pressed to find a better stable of RB in 2016. And depending on if Carrington and Addison return next year, you'll have a hard time finding a better group of WR, and add back to the mix Pharaoh Brown, who before he got hurt in 2014 was arguabley the top TE in college.

kearly

Reaction score
CPHawk":26polnz7 said:
You do know Oregon has lead the Pac 10/12 in rushing for 10 years in a row? And you'd be hard pressed to find a better stable of RB in 2016. And depending on if Carrington and Addison return next year, you'll have a hard time finding a better group of WR, and add back to the mix Pharaoh Brown, who before he got hurt in 2014 was arguabley the top TE in college.

Oh Oregon's rush offense has been great for a long time. But they always had a duel threat dynamic. I'm not sure Jake Locker could have won shootouts in Oregon's offense. And I think you guys just got a poor man's Jake Locker.

As far as the others, Oregon's skill position players are always overhyped. Colt Lyerla, etc. As far as Carrington, Addison, and Brown, I don't know if any of them will end up being more than day 3 picks in the NFL. Mariota spent years using his elite accuracy to make JAGs look like studs at Oregon. If Mariota were still here, they'd be effective for certain. But he isn't.

This time two years ago, after the 2013 season ended, UW fans had Ross and Stringfellow at WR, two of the most talented WRs in the Pac-12. But nobody was excited for UW's 2014 season, because that talent at WR doesn't really matter when you have Cyler Miles at QB. It's not like you can surround a flawed QB with weapons and simply make him effective by sum of all parts reasoning.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Natethegreat":1lwei2wh said:
I think its ridiculous that teams are now recruiting players from other teams. This needs to stop and I expect the NCAA will be addressing this at some point.

Why? In the cases like Vernon Adams and now Prukop it gives them a chance to show their abilities on a larger scale and maybe improve their chances at an after college profession. For a guy like Russell Wilson it got him out if a position where the coach didnt necessarily want him and into a place where he could flourish. It's good for the players, which is who it should be about.

It should also be good for the smaller schools. Eastern Washington can now say to recruits, "look how well our kid who we developed did when he got a chance to play for a power 5 conference. We can get you to that level as well."

kearly

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2uyqraiv said:
Natethegreat":2uyqraiv said:

Why? In the cases like Vernon Adams and now Prukop it gives them a chance to show their abilities on a larger scale and maybe improve their chances at an after college profession.

It's weird that a fan of a team who stars Russell Wilson at QB wouldn't understand why allowing graduated players from transferring is a good thing.

I'm pretty meh on Prukop but I think its a good move for him and a good move for Oregon.

hawker232

Reaction score
Justin Herbert, high school senior commit out of Eugene, Oregon is the future for the Oregon football program. Book it.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Funny thing, Ole Miss hasn't had a full time starting qb in 10 years, who wasn't a transfer of some sort.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
hawker232":lulesp4k said:
Justin Herbert, high school senior commit out of Eugene, Oregon is the future for the Oregon football program. Book it.

I like his game a lot, but unfortunately for him he has bad timing. If he'd have joined the ducks a year or two ago he would have been starting over Lockie or Allie when Adams went down. Now ill be shocked if he ever starts a game. This year will be Prukop, the following year will be a battle between rs soph Travis Johnson, rs fresh Travis Wilson and true freshman (and likely 5*)Ryan Kelley. Personally I think Ryan Kelly is the future and will be an eventual first round draft pick assuming he stays healthy.

If you're right and Herbert does end up the man it would be great cuz he must be pretty good to beat out those others. Would also be a cool story to have a hometown kid leading the ducks.

CPHawk

Reaction score
L
hawker232":8nbh46pc said:

Maybe, but Kelley will have something to say about that. Wilson might need to develop a little more, but that kid is very much like RGIII. UO qb spot appears to be getting plenty of depth, and if we need an emergency qb, Triston Wallace just committed, who is rated the 4th best all purpose qb in the class. Funny thing is though, he wants to be a WR, and at 6'4 225 and a 4.4 speed, I think he'll be a hell of WR.

kearly

Reaction score
JSeahawks":282u51kk said:
I like his game a lot, but unfortunately for him he has bad timing. If he'd have joined the ducks a year or two ago he would have been starting over Lockie or Allie when Adams went down. Now ill be shocked if he ever starts a game. This year will be Prukop, the following year will be a battle between rs soph Travis Johnson, rs fresh Travis Wilson and true freshman (and likely 5*)Ryan Kelley. Personally I think Ryan Kelly is the future and will be an eventual first round draft pick assuming he stays healthy.

I've watched Kelley's highlights on Rivals. I like him, for any team. He's a natural point guard type. So I don't mind you hyping him at all.

That said, I remember when people around here were hyping Nate Costa and Justin Roper. And remember when UW fans thought Nick Montana would be just like his dad? You didn't see me talking up Jake Browning until he started putting some nice games together. The jump from HS to college is so big, it's best to see a few great games before jumping into the deep end.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Mitchell, McDoom (best football name ever) and Wallace are all going to be big time receivers, IMO. I think we end up with Crawford too. If we can close with a few if the defensive studs were in on like Nigel knot and Connor Murphy, this would be the best ducks recruiting class ever (on paper before they take the field).

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
kearly":31ttqrtl said:
JSeahawks":31ttqrtl said:

I've watched Kelley's highlights on Rivals. I like him, for any team. He's a natural point guard type. So I don't mind you hyping him at all.

That said, I remember when people around here were hyping Nate Costa and Justin Roper. And remember when UW fans thought Nick Montana would be just like his dad? You didn't see me talking up Jake Browning until he started putting some nice games together. The jump from HS to college is so big, it's best to see a few great games before jumping into the deep end.

Oh come on now, nobody ever hyped up Justin roper lol. That guy was never above 4th string. Nate costa might have been good if not for multiple knee injuries. He's actually on the ducks coaching staff right now and is thought to have a pretty bright future in that arena.

I do think qbs and olinemen are the two toughest positions to evaluate going from high school to college though.

hawker232

Reaction score
JSeahawks":118zknr9 said:
hawker232":118zknr9 said:

If you're right and Herbert does end up the man it would be great cuz he must be pretty good to beat out those others. Would also be a cool story to have a hometown kid leading the ducks.

When Justin was a junior, he broke his right femur in the third game of the season, forcing him to miss the remainder of the year. Because of this, he (for the most part) flew under the radar on people's recruiting boards. You would be hard pressed to find a more polished, mature and dedicated high school quarterback than Justin Herbert. I ain't sayin, but I'm just sayin...

And yes, I do have an in with this kid. That's why I know so much about him. He's a rare breed.

cesame

Reaction score
I certainly feel like Oregon fans are putting too much stock in this kid. He's no Mariota or even Vernon Adams as far as I'm concerned. If Vernon Adams didn't come directly after Mariota I think fans would fully comprehend that he's really a special player. He's damn good. The arm talent those two possess is just scary.

That said, Prukop's recruitment adds another body to the QB battle, so at least they won't be caught with their pants down with Alie or Lockie again.

CPHawk

Reaction score
kearly":b1el1ykv said:
CPHawk":b1el1ykv said:

Oh Oregon's rush offense has been great for a long time. But they always had a duel threat dynamic. I'm not sure Jake Locker could have won shootouts in Oregon's offense. And I think you guys just got a poor man's Jake Locker.

As far as the others, Oregon's skill position players are always overhyped. Colt Lyerla, etc. As far as Carrington, Addison, and Brown, I don't know if any of them will end up being more than day 3 picks in the NFL. Mariota spent years using his elite accuracy to make JAGs look like studs at Oregon. If Mariota were still here, they'd be effective for certain. But he isn't.

This time two years ago, after the 2013 season ended, UW fans had Ross and Stringfellow at WR, two of the most talented WRs in the Pac-12. But nobody was excited for UW's 2014 season, because that talent at WR doesn't really matter when you have Cyler Miles at QB. It's not like you can surround a flawed QB with weapons and simply make him effective by sum of all parts reasoning.

I'll agree to an extent about uo skill guys, though Colt was more mental and drugs rather than lack of talent. DAT was always going to be to small to play RB in the nfl and he's not really a WR. I think your way off on Carrington though, he's pretty close talent wise to Keenan Allen. UO also has 5-6 really good Fr and RS Fr WR who are much better than what UO has had in the past.

That said Frost while coaching UO WR, they didn't develop the way they should, and now you see the QBs not being developed. The guy can OC, but I blame him for a lot of our qb issues right now.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Natethegreat":1y0epu8m said:
But it's OK for coaches to up and leave for a better job offer? Sorry, could not disagree with you more.

kearly

Reaction score
CPHawk":2laollke said:
I'll agree to an extent about uo skill guys, though Colt was more mental and drugs rather than lack of talent. DAT was always going to be to small to play RB in the nfl and he's not really a WR. I think your way off on Carrington though, he's pretty close talent wise to Keenan Allen. UO also has 5-6 really good Fr and RS Fr WR who are much better than what UO has had in the past.

That said Frost while coaching UO WR, they didn't develop the way they should, and now you see the QBs not being developed. The guy can OC, but I blame him for a lot of our qb issues right now.

In fairness, scouts like Carrington a lot more than I do.

I think he is solid but not a star. Not fast or explosive. Decent size but nothing amazing. He reminds me a lot of Jermaine Kearse with more consistent hands. He's not a staple receiver, he's a guy that needs big plays to create production.

Last season Carrington had the good fortune of playing all six of his games when Adam was just starting to get white hot. And even during that time, Carrington only managed 25 catches over 6 games, or about 4.17 catches per game. In Carrington's 16 total games, he's had just 62 catches, less than 4 catches per game. And in all 16 of these games, Carrington was playing with two extremely good QBs.

Don't get me wrong, I love playmaking receivers. Martavis Bryant isn't the biggest catch magnet ever but I always make sure I own him in every fantasy league. But when I look at Carrington, I see a surprisingly sluggish looking player that has benefited from fantastic QB play couple with an elite rush attack to sell play action. The elite rush attack will still be there in 2016, and Prukop has a great arm, so I still think Carrington will make some plays. But there's still going to be a pretty huge dropoff in terms of passing when you go from a white hot Vernon Adams to a Jake Locker type.

Anyway, I think it's pretty clear that 2016 is going to be the Royce Freeman show. I'm expecting relatively low pass attempts for Oregon next season.

Barring a huge boost on defense, I think the Oregon Ducks will bear a striking resemblance to the 2015 Arizona Wildcats, though probably with a better record to show for it. Like Arizona, Oregon will have an athlete at QB and will run a ton while keeping pass attempts down. And it will produce a devastatingly good offense, until they face teams that can mitigate the run. Granted, teams that can stop that rush attack won't be many, so I could see Oregon getting to 8+ wins.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Well, even if we lose Carrington, UO still might have the top WR group in the conference. I'm guessing we throw a lot more than you think. I also think our D will be much better, even lossing Buckner. There's a lot of young talented guys on the DL, and losing Hardrick, arguabley the worst ILB to ever play in the Pac 12, will only help. And even though you might underestimate Pharoah Brown, he made both Miles Jack and Shaq look like fools when he went against them last year. 6'6 260 and a legit 4.5-4.6 40, the guy is good. And UO backup RB, I'd bet 2 of them Could start for at least 8 of the other conference teams. Griffin will only get better, and as crazy as it might sound Benoit reminds me a lot of Rawls.

As for Prukop, I've heard a few coaches say they think only Rosen is as good as him in the pac 12. High praise, but we'll find out who's right next year.

kearly

Reaction score
CPHawk":2btj4dja said:
As for Prukop, I've heard a few coaches say they think only Rosen is as good as him in the pac 12. High praise, but we'll find out who's right next year.

That's the definition of over-hyped. The worst defenses Prukop will face in the Pac-12 will be better than the ones he struggled against in the FCS.

Keep in mind that these numbers are against very low competition (FCS). Prukop has trouble in the clutch. Prukop is 2-6 in games decided by one score. He also struggles in shootouts, going 3-7 in games where both teams score 30+. Prukop is a great athlete but even in the FCS, when a game was put on his shoulders, his team is in deep trouble.

The reason he has good numbers overall is because he pads his numbers in garbage time and has a few blowout wins a year.

All that said, I do think there is a rookie Russell Wilson type path to success for him in 2016. I think Oregon will be better with Prukop than without him.

From 2014-2015, Prukop averaged 27.6 pass attempts per game. In Adams two starting seasons before transferring, coming from the same conference, he averaged 34.6 pass attempts per game. So even if we only look at the FCS stats, it's pretty clear that EWU was leaning on Adams to win games and Montana State was using Prukop as a game manager type with big play ability.

Prukop is making a huge jump and unlike Adams, has never faced a power conference opponent. You can see even from his highlight video that his throwing mechanics are very raw. Couple this with an outstanding run game, and it makes for a very obvious formula to keep Prukop around 25 pass attempts a game and try to win running the football. That approach is all the more validated by Prukop's struggles in shootouts and close games.

But, if Oregon can control the game by dominating on the ground, and set up the deep ball with effective play action, Prukop can be a difference making QB. He won't ever carry the team on his back like Vernon Adams did to close out the 2015 season, but he can be effective enough to grind out 8+ wins so long as the run game dominates as expected.

The key for Oregon's success next year will be their defense, because their offense with Prukop will be at its best when playing with a lead.

So overall I think it's a good move for Oregon. I just think the hype about him being better than Vernon Adams is very silly.