PLEASE !!! don't resign Penny.

Chawker

Reaction score
Don't throw away a bunch of money on a unproven player. I can't believe that the Seahawks are even thinking about resigning him. Pete you've lost it, please don't do it. :34853_doh:

James in PA

Reaction score
The overall body of work is not there, but man when he is healthy and on the field, he is a difference-maker. It's a hard one. That's what she said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I'm OK with resigning Penny on an incentive laden one year deal..................AND trying to draft another bell cow back in the early to mid rounds.

Listen, Lynch was a once in a generation back as far as health and production. That's VERY rare in the NFL. You need 2-3 RB's now that can split carries to hopefully keep production and health at a high level throughout the season.

Does that mean hand Penny a 10M a year deal? No. But no one else will either, so he's going to have to prove he can stay healthy for an entire year before anyone will give him a multi-year contract with significant guaranteed money.

Rat

Reaction score
If we can get him on a good deal, awesome, but giving a second contract to any RB has largely been regrettable for the team signing onto the deal. And if I'm Penny, with that injury history, I'm not taking a penny (no pun intended) less than what I can get.

rcaido

Reaction score
Should try to sign him for about 7million within incentives. Fournette i think is available and so is Melvin Gordon. Market price for these two should be around 5 to 6million each. i think Carson is done, so maybe get both.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
He just exploded for possibly the best 6 or 7 game stretch by a running back since Barry Sanders was playing, and we call this unproven?

His talent is undeniable. His injury status is the questionable portion.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Good idea. Let’s just let him walk, and we can watch him become Ahmad Green for the Rams or Dallas.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
What should happen: incentive laden team friendly one year deal.

What will happen: Pete will double down on the stupidity of drafting him to start with and give him a 2-3 year deal at a stupidly high number that no other team would even consider paying. There is no limit to the harm that PC will do to the Seahawks to protect his ego. No limits at all.

Yes, Penny had some nice games against shit defenses after 3.5 seasons. While I enjoy the wins those were about as empty of stats as any player could possibly have. We were as close to 99.9% eliminated as you can get. I attribute it to PC throwing his hands up and letting Waldron do it his way - which worked.

We have won ONE playoff game while he has been here (Eagles) and he didn’t even play. He’s quite the difference maker. :roll:

sutz

Reaction score
Consider this, after 4 years in the league, he has about 1 year's worth of mileage. :twisted:

Definitely sign him, but certainly make a good deal fwith rewards for Penny and protection for the team.

massari

Reaction score
sutz":3ofq3hme said:
Consider this, after 4 years in the league, he has about 1 year's worth of mileage. :twisted:
I guess if you ignore all the injuries, sure.

Blogger Corbin Smith suggests $5-$6m APY for Penny. Sounds good to me.

Rat

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1ocr9l3j said:
If people can't see that this guy has legit talent, they never will.
Literally nobody is saying that. He has made himself hard to rely on him though. It was bad enough for the team to not even pick up his fifth year option.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
CPHawk":2fataw7r said:
Good idea. Let’s just let him walk, and we can watch him become Ahmad Green for the Rams or Dallas.

The Hawks will let him do what we should let him do, see what kind of offers he can find out in free agency......then when he finds out no one's willing to give a multi-year deal with lots of guaranteed money, he'll sign here or elsewhere for an one year deal with lots of incentives.

Penny's a RB, the most diminished position group in the NFL right now. He's not a D-end or CB that teams are willing to take a big risk with signing to a huge contract.

I hope we do resign Penny, but not to a big contract. 4-5 good games at the end of a four year disappointing career here with lots of injuries is not who you pay big money too.

Especially for a team that has big holes all over it's roster.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Like I said, incentives, get it done. Works for both sides. Plenty of people have made it sound like he sucks, come on.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Sadly unless you can see the future, this is a very hard decision to make.

Penny ended the season every way shape and form what the Seahawks were hoping he would be since they drafted him. That being said we all know his injury history, how long it took him to even get going and his end of the season performance was only through 6 games.

Basically for any team that signs him...if he gets injured and/or doesn't perform. I told you so. If he doesn't get injured and he picks right back up where he left off...also I told you so.

The fact is he's NOT going to take some super cheap deal full of contingencies whether or not he is fully capable of playing an entire season. Too many teams will want RBs and all saw how he ended the season. Some teams may even be more willing to take a risk and overpay what he should get with more guarantees because if they are a bottom dwelling team, if he doesnt pan out, big deal, but if he does it breaths life into their franchise.

It's definitely a tough call.

Personally, I would do everything I could to guilt him into wanting to stay and taking a more team friendly deal vs what others may be offering him, but it's probably not likely. So I'd let him walk.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
In a perfect world, he goes team friendly out of loyalty to the Hawks for sticking with him.
Really hard to say what is going to happen. He was $ the last month plus, clearly he can get it done.
It goes w/out saying that health is the #1 issue, not talent. If there was a way to get incentives in here, bring it on.

sdog1981

Reaction score
The median wage for an NFL running back in 630k. A 6th year player like Penny the league minimum is 910k. If they sign him to a two-year 2 million dollar deal that would be ok.

nanomoz

Reaction score
There's some good, tough runners in the draft that should be around after rounds two and three.

As long as re-signing Penny doesn't preclude drafting one of them, great. But if it's a "we didn't draft Matt Forte because we signed Julius Jones" situation, I will poop a little.

HawkOG70’

Reaction score
Why not he started ballin and finally is healthy and knows the system. He’s still twitchy and knows how to explode

Latest posts