Playoff week "power rankings"; kinda a joke?

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Packers had beaten the Dolphins, Cowboys, and Vikings in recent weeks.

Lions had beaten the Packers, Vikings, & Jaguars since December.

Seahawks haven't exactly been playing stellar since early November with wins against the Rams (2x) and Jets only.

I think it's fair.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I'd still place them above some of those teams. 12 sounds about right.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I wonder how they will rationalize their comments if the Hawks were in fact to ‘upset’ the Digits?

As others have said these so called rankings mean very little.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
We keep telling ourselves that yet we keep posting about our feelings about power rankings. :p

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Dan Hanzus is a shmuck and fans of all 32 teams have called him as such at one point or another.

OP
OP
SeAhAwKeR4life

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
How so?

They have the 14 best records, yes?

Might not be the 14 hottest teams, but they are the 14 best by definition
That's the thing about NFL power rankings, often teams with worse records get rated higher. I think it's ridiculous.

True they're fairly meaningless, but especially when we have two teams with worse records, and two non playoff teams ranked higher than us.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
How so?

I woukd argue that the 9-8 Lions have a better record, and are a better team than the 8-9 Buccaneers, so no, I don't think it's the 14 best teams.

flv2

Reaction score
How so?

No. By definition they have the division winners and 'most' of the best remaining records, with tie-breakers.

Schedules aren't even across the board, games aren't always won by the better team, some teams had more luck with officiating, and some teams are comparatively stronger or weaker, now due to injuries. Some years it's not even the teams with the best 14 records, (such as 2020 when the Dolphins were out at 10-6 but the Bears were in at 8-8).

themunn

Reaction score
They have us where they have us. I think it's a bit rough given our last 2 losses were to 2 of the best teams in the league. Yes we lost to the Panthers (without Penny, Walker or Dallas, and a very 1 dimensional attack), and Raiders (where the refs really screwed us over with the no-fumble call and DK Metcalf challenge overturn). The Bucs game sure we looked out of our depth there but also that was half a season ago.

If we knock off the Niners this weekend we will know whether 16th was fair, given we would have just been the #1 team, but at least it's another reason we can say pressure is totally off this weekend.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
No. By definition they have the division winners and 'most' of the best remaining records, with tie-breakers.

Schedules aren't even across the board, games aren't always won by the better team, some teams had more luck with officiating, and some teams are comparatively stronger or weaker, now due to injuries. Some years it's not even the teams with the best 14 records, (such as 2020 when the Dolphins were out at 10-6 but the Bears were in at 8-8).

Right, but I was referring to this year

Games aren't always won by the best team, but by and large, over a 17 game season, that kind of stuff evens out

It's not a huge anomoly to consider a team just outside the playoff participants to be "better" but for the most part, ranking the playoff contenders as the top 14 is fine also

Hawkpower

Reaction score
I woukd argue that the 9-8 Lions have a better record, and are a better team than the 8-9 Buccaneers, so no, I don't think it's the 14 best teams.

That is a fair point

They could be, especially with how they've been playing lately