playcalling the other night

hoxrox

Reaction score
How did Waldron do?

Looked like there was some decent variety. I saw a lot of short and intermediate passes. And a lot of runs. No deep shots.

Is this what we can expect moving forward? Or just depends on what the defense gives?

If Russ can attack the entire field, spread the ball around, and utilize the backs and the TEs in the passing game, I think this offense could be top 5.

sutz

Reaction score
Considering that they don't really game plan the same way in pre-season as they do in-season, I thought there were plenty of good indications of what you mentioned. Lots of variety, more pre-snap motion and some trickery and fakery built in. Pete was never really as bad as people like to complain about, but we did need some updates that take advantage of our weapons on offense a bit better than we had up til last season.

We'll see in a couple of weeks going forward, I guess.

seabowl

Reaction score
Tempo, tempo, tempo!!! As long as they can get to the line of scrimmage in a reasonable fashion they they should be better. Hated seeing them rush play after play to get the ball snapped in time giving the D a clear point as to when the snap was taking place.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
seabowl":3f3gu6u7 said:
Tempo, tempo, tempo!!! As long as they can get to the line of scrimmage in a reasonable fashion they they should be better. Hated seeing them rush play after play to get the ball snapped in time giving the D a clear point as to when the snap was taking place.

This has been a major gripe for me over PC's tenor. Getting to the line with less than 15 seconds and making sure there is less than 3 seconds on the play clock before snapping. Nothing good comes of this. It gives the opposing defense time to rest and compose themselves between plays and also lets rushers get a better jump. I saw much better tempo Saturday with only a few times of getting to the line late and snapping inside of 5 seconds. Every time they reverted to this, nothing good happened.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hard to tell, I don't think they're showing their hand and keeping things very vanilla until the opener.

But so far I've seen a TD by Dallas in the Raider game that was a Rams/Waldron RB tempo flat pass, and a couple good looking sweeps and quick crossers for good yardage.

As others have said, there is a concerted effort with tempo, and that makes me happy. Russell should thrive in this offense.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
So far it looks good.

Although it's been very basic, I can see the potential of it.

All sorts of new pre snap alignments, fly sweeps, screens, quick passes, tempo.
Things we should've seen years ago.

Latest posts