Playcalling - Get it straight

mrt144

Reaction score
thegameq":1bpo6sxw said:
Great Topic!!!

This conversation is way overdue!

More Xs and Os guys keep it coming. Less bickering and pissing contests, please.

Props to Twisted--get out of my head! you're saying a lot of the things that I think many Seahawk fans are frustrated by every Sunday and the past few seasons. Our eyes are telling us one thing but what we're seeing on the field is leaving us with so many what the?????!!!!!! moments!

It feels like they are more than content to just punt and put the defense back out on the field. It seems everyone but the staff knows we no longer have an elite defense. So why not up the offensive game? So frustrating to watch week in and week out.

There are several reasonable explanations of why, in the now, they aren't upping the offensive game.

1. Talent ain't there across the board individually make the sum larger than the parts in many if not most positions
2. Coaching less capable in upping the passing offense at least, either intrinsically due to their aptitude or overriding strategic imperatives they hold near and dear.
3. Stress testing the defense more with less experience on the field. Iron sharpens Iron?
4. By the same token, trying to instill comfort within the offense to execute the designs and plans better on offense.

And there are probably a few more I'm not thinking of right now.

Some of these make sense overall but doesn't excuse lack of execution or tactical design in the now. Some of these might lessen over time. Some seem intractable. Part of the fun of the season journey we sign on for is seeing improvements in places.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I still struggle with the idea that the offense is struggling, that Wilsons top 8 passing stats (outside yards) indicate a weakness instead of balance and the assertion that the offense is whats holding this team back.

Also... questioning whether the 30 million dollar qb will be used like one when hes not a 30 million dollar qb is projecting without consideration of a great deal of other factors that will play a significant role in the future of the team when Wilsons contract does come up.

Its a single minded assault on one piece of a much bigger puzzle

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":30rsxbtp said:
I still struggle with the idea that the offense is struggling, that Wilsons top 8 passing stats (outside yards) indicate a weakness instead of balance and the assertion that the offense is whats holding this team back.

Also... questioning whether the 30 million dollar qb will be used like one when hes not a 30 million dollar qb is projecting without consideration of a great deal of other factors that will play a significant role in the future of the team when Wilsons contract does come up.

I wouldn't say they're struggling, other than these unsuccessful late drives.

But as I said in other threads, I'd like to see a better balance. Rushing for 200 yards a game is awesome, but 39 yards of passing in the first half of games is not awesome.

Would like to see a little better balance so we're not desperately depending on Russell and the offense to be perfect in the 4th quarter with no margin for error trying to all of a sudden flip the switch and throw it because we're behind.

LTH

Reaction score
I question how any of you guys think you are qualified to second guess Wilson or Shotty? Ok I guess thats your job as fans but what ever! LOL

LTH

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Exactly.

I am not saying: Who Is To Blame?

That question comes after the obvious:

What is wrong?

Why is it happening?

Can it be fixed? If so, how?

Is this approach a choice for strategic reasons? tactical reasons? or out of necessity?

Are there other choices that could be considered instead?

Nothing about what we are seeing is normal. So either something is wrong or someone is making decisions that are not working.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
LTH":28j4kb62 said:
I question how any of you guys think you are qualified to second guess Wilson or Shotty? Ok I guess thats your job as fans but what ever! LOL

LTH

Why do you think ESPN/Fox/NFL Network, sports radio, newspaper and website analysts and fan forums exist?

This would be a pretty boring place if we didn't talk about how we think we can improve as a team, that includes second guessing every aspect of the team. Drafting, personnel moves, coaches, players, playcalling, schemes, philosophy. It's all up for debate.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2eu6bfg8 said:
Uncle Si":2eu6bfg8 said:

But as I said in other threads, I'd like to see a better balance. Rushing for 200 yards a game is awesome, but 39 yards of passing in the first half of games is not awesome.

Would like to see a little better balance so we're not desperately depending on Russell and the offense to be perfect in the 4th quarter with no margin for error trying to all of a sudden flip the switch and throw it because we're behind.

Seattle has been trailing at halftime in 5 of the 9 games they played... all by single digits. They failed to score double digits in first half just 2 times.

The balance exists. The issue is that the defense is not helping as much as the game plan requires.

Im sure both will change by next season. But for this season, the defense has put the Seahawks in positions to chase points late far more than the offense, in my opinion.

Tonight will be interesting

Seymour

Reaction score
LTH":1mgemvjt said:

LTH

Ya....what he said! Be good little Stepford Fans and......

Il 340x2701450552972 p73k

:sarcasm_off:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1m5zqsvm said:
Sgt. Largent":1m5zqsvm said:
Uncle Si":1m5zqsvm said:

Seattle has been trailing at halftime in 5 of the 9 games they played... all by single digits. They failed to score double digits in first half just 2 times.

The balance exists. The issue is that the defense is not helping as much as the game plan requires.

Im sure both will change by next season. But for this season, the defense has put the Seahawks in positions to chase points late far more than the offense, in my opinion.

Tonight will be interesting

The defense shouldn't be expected to hold up their end, it's not our strength right now........especially against these better QB's and offenses.

That's my point, if Pete's mentality is as it's always been "play tough D, ground and pound and win games wearing out the other team holding a lead?" Then that's a failed scheme going into the games.

I'm not asking for 40 passes a game, I'm asking for a little better run/pass balance so Russell and the offense aren't being asked to be perfect in the 2nd half of games because they've lost leads and need to do something they're not in rhythm and confident to do in the 4th.

LTH

Reaction score
Seymour":10pivak6 said:
LTH":10pivak6 said:

LTH

Its not that I think the Seahawks can do no wrong there are plenty of things they could do better... Its that I think most don't understand the progression during the season... Its irritating to read posts that are so far off base that it is ridiculous... Maybe they will be an 8-8 team I cant say for sure but its way more fun to ride the wave rather than doubt things that are not even really relevant...

Just my take hammer me if you want :stirthepot:

LTH

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
LTH":3u489t7v said:
.. Its irritating to read posts that are so far off base that it is ridiculous...

Keeping your vast football knowledge close to the vest in order to criticize other people's opinions with impunity, smart.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
I stared reading through this thread this morning but I had to leave for an appointment. When I got in my truck and turned the radio on, I keep NFL channel on (SiriusXM). Low and behold the first thing I here is Bruce Murray and Brett Favre start to have a conversation about how under appreciated Russell Wilson is and how great of a QB he is. They went on to talk about some of the very things in this thread. The one thing Favre stressed was that Wilson is a proven winner and there isn’t much he can’t do.

Take from that what you will. I would have loved to be able to write it verbatim but it’s just not possible.

OP
OP
vin.couve12

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Scorpion05":18iyjm51 said:
MontanaHawk05":18iyjm51 said:
Scorpion05":18iyjm51 said:
My reaction was actually quite appropriate given OP's post, which is negative, not constructive.

Criticism is not always negativity. If we can't criticize players...

You also didn't address what I said - the implications of the word "just" in the OP.

So now I'm going to add reading glasses to the prescription of what is now three chill pills, because you're giving the distinct impression of some guy sitting at his desk grinding his teeth with a massive vein throbbing just above his temple. Over a post on the internet.

Maybe I should make a thread like the OP saying that Russ cannot be the scapegoat, and the focus should be on Schotty. I'd be called a Russ fanatic, so in using that same logic I'm calling out this thread for what it is. Let's now discuss criticism vs negativity.

Criticism: "Russ missed that play. He missed that throw, should have read the defense differently there. Etc."

Negativity: Posts that imply Russ struggles to "think" like a good QB is supposed to, basically suggesting he's not smart enough (that has been implied on here). Or...overly criticizing him for things that are pretty standard among other players at his position.

Also "Negative" and not merely criticism:

You no longer can just point at the OC as your scapegoat. Not with any real valitity anyway.

Translation, blame Russ, not the OC when things go bad. Also:

you no longer have easy copouts and the guy isn't your baby or even some greenhorn

OP's subsequent posts have sounded more reasonable, but you can't set the tone like that for a thread and be surprised when someone reacts

The problem on this board is, you've accepted over the top Russ bashing as the norm. And yes I said bashing, not just criticism. There's a difference. Criticism is an open conversation about the offense, the limitations of the offense, and Russ, Pete, AND Schotty's role in it. The entire premise of the thread, as OP stated, is to focus on Russ while SIMULTANEOUSLY saying the OC should have less culpability. It's not holistic. If we're going to debate the offense, a good place to start might be to not suggest the OC has nothing to do with our offense's flaws. Just the short QB that is a constant punching bag on this forum. If I sit at my computer with a massive vein throbbing, as you claim...it's because I want to see people criticized fairly. And Russ, as I will continue to maintain is one of the most critiqued, and inexplicably polarizing QBs in the league despite his success.

You draw your own meaning outside of the literal definitions of the words I stated. Your "translation" is way off.

There is no way, shape, or form where it is all on Wilson, but at some point you'll have to come to terms with the fact that Wilson is PART of the problem given that you don't have a Bevell scapegoat.

Seymour

Reaction score
LTH":1z81vvba said:
Seymour":1z81vvba said:
LTH":1z81vvba said:

LTH

Its not that I think the Seahawks can do no wrong there are plenty of things they could do better... Its that I think most don't understand the progression during the season... Its irritating to read posts that are so far off base that it is ridiculous... Maybe they will be an 8-8 team I cant say for sure but its way more fun to ride the wave rather than doubt things that are not even really relevant...

Just my take hammer me if you want :stirthepot:

LTH

Nah...I'm not going to hammer you. I'm mostly a wise guy and enjoy humor. That said, if you are irritated by ridiculous posts....prepare to stay irritated alot! You really just have to choose your battles here or you will certainly go mad. I tend to defend Wilson here alot because I get tired of the BS expectation and know Cable was his biggest problem and it still lingers. That said, yes Russ still is a bonehead at times, but given our entire QB history I'll take the good with the bad.

OP
OP
vin.couve12

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Side note, I wandered over to the slums of Fieldgulls and read an article suggesting that it's 2 pass audibles, one for man and one for zone (makes some sense), and one run audible. My understanding was that he could flip sides of a zone read run play or change to a quick hitting trap.

That said, we may have 4 potential line calls.

LTH

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3lwfyqcf said:
LTH":3lwfyqcf said:
.. Its irritating to read posts that are so far off base that it is ridiculous...

Keeping your vast football knowledge close to the vest in order to criticize other people's opinions with impunity, smart.

I never claimed to Know everything about football...But i do know enough to know that half of you guys or better are clueless... But your right this is a message board that depemds on opinions and I probably shouldn't have said anything I should have just kept to my self and let the flatulence be abundant LOL :rumble:

LTH

mrt144

Reaction score
LTH":1sbhqqfj said:
Sgt. Largent":1sbhqqfj said:
LTH":1sbhqqfj said:

I never claimed to Know everything about football...But i do know enough to know that half of you guys or better are clueless... But your right this is a message board that depemds on opinions and I probably shouldn't have said anything I should have just kept to my self and let the flatulence be abundant LOL :rumble:

LTH

Why don't you lay out a few points that half the people get wrong from your PoV? Don't have to quote anything and get into long winded arguments with anyone in specific either. You can use "I feel" and "I think" to reduce the seeming definiteness of your statements and you don't have to walk to the ends of the earth defending them if quoted and rebuffed. Give it a shot.

Seymour

Reaction score
LTH":3ickysjb said:
Sgt. Largent":3ickysjb said:
LTH":3ickysjb said:

LTH

Woopsy.....I'll take back "I'm not going to hammer you" after reading that ego inflated post. :shock: :141847_bnono:

LTH

Reaction score
Seymour":2sin1wtl said:
LTH":2sin1wtl said:
Sgt. Largent":2sin1wtl said:
LTH":2sin1wtl said:

LTH

Woopsy.....I'll take back "I'm not going to hammer you" after reading that ego inflated post. :shock: :141847_bnono:

Hammer away LOL These NFL offenses are extremely complicated...Things are called for reasons that the average fan doesnt understand because they don't know football the way a QB or OC does... Wilson is in a new offense with new terminology and its a process to understand and execute... So when I read this stuff I just have to shake my head for the lack of understanding...

Wilson this, Wilson that... fire Pete... fire Shotty... bring back Bevell.. its all ignorance in its finest form...But hey I shouldnt have said anything this is a fan message board and thats the way its supposed to be...Thats the way it always will be so I apologize for bringing it up...LOL

:pukeface:

LTH

mistaowen

Reaction score
LTH":ipi9r07a said:
Seymour":ipi9r07a said:
LTH":ipi9r07a said:
Sgt. Largent":ipi9r07a said:

LTH

Hammer away LOL These NFL offenses are extremely complicated...Things are called for reasons that the average fan doesnt understand because they don't know football the way a QB or OC does... Wilson is in a new offense with new terminology and its a process to understand and execute... So when I read this stuff I just have to shake my head for the lack of understanding...

Wilson this, Wilson that... fire Pete... fire Shotty... bring back Bevell.. its all ignorance in its finest form...But hey I shouldnt have said anything this is a fan message board and thats the way its supposed to be...Thats the way it always will be so I apologize for bringing it up...LOL

:pukeface:

LTH

Found Bevell.