Pick 151: Mike Morris DE Michigan

Scout

Reaction score
Solid value and another piece of the puzzle for a hybrid defensive scheme up front.

toffee

Reaction score
Per PFF

You’d think he’d have been a dominant run defender at his size in college, but that was far from the case. Morris lets tight ends and tackles get underneath him far too easily.

renofox

Reaction score
Was considered top 50 til he blew combine and pro-day testing (5.05 40, etc) with miserable testing.

Was originally considered EDGE but will probably add some mass and slot in as 3-4 DE. Has flashed big upside but may remain at low floor.

RockinHawks

Reaction score
I would also love to see him play inside with a four man front...he has a bit of Michael Bennett to him. He's listed at 275#, but I think he played around 290#.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Does all this incoming Michigan talent mean that Carroll and Jim Harbaugh have buried the hatchet since "What's your deal?"

I have to think that Carroll called up Harbaugh personally to talk about these Michigan players, and that Harbaugh shared his best inside knowledge. Maybe Harbaugh is more interested in thumbing his nose at the 49ers organization by strengthening the Seahawks? I have actually liked Jim Harbaugh since the year he was the Pro Bowl coach and picked a couple Seattle players to add to the roster. I heard Harbaugh talking about Seattle players in an interview, and could tell he "got" their game and truly respected them. Harbaugh may have been a douche on game-day, but his players loved him from what I could see. Just a theory, anyone know if Carroll and Harbaugh are fully past "what's your deal"?

morgulon1

Reaction score
Does all this incoming Michigan talent mean that Carroll and Jim Harbaugh have buried the hatchet since "What's your deal?"

I have to think that Carroll called up Harbaugh personally to talk about these Michigan players, and that Harbaugh shared his best inside knowledge. Maybe Harbaugh is more interested in thumbing his nose at the 49ers organization by strengthening the Seahawks? I have actually liked Jim Harbaugh since the year he was the Pro Bowl coach and picked a couple Seattle players to add to the roster. I heard Harbaugh talking about Seattle players in an interview, and could tell he "got" their game and truly respected them. Harbaugh may have been a douche on game-day, but his players loved him from what I could see. Just a theory, anyone know if Carroll and Harbaugh are fully past "what's your deal"?

Yes I believe they are actually friendly with each other. Us fans have kept the hate for Harbaugh strong . Me included.
I've heard Pete Carroll say very kind things regarding Harbaugh and Michigan football a long time ago.

Pete just had to show him who his daddy was. I think he understands now. I can't wait for a couple of seasons when SF coach Kyle shanahan is coaching the Arizona wildcats saying I could've been a contender!"

Chawker

Reaction score
Was considered top 50 til he blew combine and pro-day testing (5.05 40, etc) with miserable testing.

Was originally considered EDGE but will probably add some mass and slot in as 3-4 DE. Has flashed big upside but may remain at low floor.
He was fighting though a high ankle sprang at the combine.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Man…even with the recent bad reviews, I’m thinking PC is going to make this guy a stud.
I sure hope so because at 151 I was really lamenting haven given up our pick at 83 in a big way. However, if Morris can shine I will appreciate acquiring trade up capital with that 2024 3rd round spot.

JerHawk81

Reaction score
I've had a chance to watch some film on him, and here's my take:

On film, he's big, long, and athletic. He was a power-based DL who did a great job collapsing the pocket. What surprised me is how much he played from a 2 point stance and even played a bit in space - and how not-awful he looked in space as a 290+lb lineman. I don't want him in space in the NFL, but he looked decent there in college and showed adequate athleticism.

His sack numbers are really good, but most of those are late sacks, and very few were him dominating off the snap. But, he eats blockers well, sets the edge well, and looks the part of a great 3-4 end. Based on his film, I would have projected him to go in the 3rd as a well rounded DE prospects with run stopping ability in year one and the ability to help with pass rush, without sack numbers, in year one.

However, the kid had an awful combine. Really really bad. He didn't test great, and really struggled in his position drills, including falling down in bag drills. That hurt is stock. But I have a theory why.

He also weighed in at the combine around 275 - 20 lbs lower than his playing weight. Dropping that type of weight, in that type of timeframe, can be tough if you don't do it well. And, it can play havoc with your balance, strength, speed, athleticism, etc. And, I bet that's what happened here, resulting in a bad combine showing.

But, he's already back up to 290+, and has been asked to continue to bulk up. This means his weight should be stable going into the summer.

I'm really high on this kid. I think Morris projects as a solid rotational guy at end this year, and will split snaps with Reed, spelling him on 2nd and long or 3rd and mid scenarios. Next year, he looks like a starter.

A+ grade for me. Good value, great player, great fit, and fills a huge need.

Last edited:

GemCity

Reaction score
I've had a chance to watch some film on him, and here's my take:

On film, he's big, long, and athletic. He was a power-based DL who did a great job collapsing the pocket. His sack numbers are really good, but most of those are late sacks, and very few were him dominating off the snap. But, he eats blockers well, sets the edge well, and looks the part of a great 3-4 end. Based on his film, I would have projected him to go in the 3rd.

However, the kid had an awful combine. Really really bad. He didn't test great, and really struggled in his position drills, including falling down in bag drills. That hurt is stock. But I have a theory why.

He also weighed in at the combine around 275 - 20 lbs lower than his playing weight. Dropping that type of weight, in that type of timeframe, can be tough if you don't do it well. And, it can play havoc with your balance, strength, speed, athleticism, etc. And, I bet that's what happened here, resulting in a bad combine showing.

But, he's already back up to 290+, and has been asked to continue to bulk up. This means his weight should be stable going into the summer.

I'm really high on this kid. I think Morris projects as a solid rotational guy at end this year, and will split snaps with Reed, spelling him on 2nd and long or 3rd and mid scenarios. Next year, he looks like a starter.

A+ grade for me. Good value, great player, great fit, and fills a huge need.
Good stuff Jerhawk81!!

bileever

Reaction score
There's been less discussion about Mike Morris than any of the other Seahawks picks. (Thanks, @Jerhawk, for your insights, I agree with your theory.) Maybe it's because he has such a generic name, or maybe because everyone is fearing the second coming of LJ Collier.

There has been stuff written about Morris dropping a lot of weight for the combine, so that he would be faster and be considered an edge rather than defensive end. (The reason someone would do that is because NFL teams are all looking for pass rushers and a dozen "edge" players will be drafted before a boring defensive end.) You can't blame Morris--he did have 7.5 sacks and 11 tackles for loss last year. Or maybe his agent gave him bad advice.

That strategy backfired tremendously when Morris ended up running the 40 in 4.95. (By comparison, Derrick Hall ran a 4.55.) But his strength is stopping the run, and that's what we need. He's been criticized for not being as productive as he should have been--he had only 23 tackles last season. (Will Anderson had 51--that's why he went #3.) However, he did battle a high ankle sprain for the last half of the year, and he was still named the Big Ten defensive lineman of the year.

One important difference between Morris and Collier is that Morris wasn't picked in the first round. But whether he will pan out remains to be seen.