Raheem Morris

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Just curious what everyone thinks about the possibility of Raheem Morris as our new HC. The guy has a lot of experience and is a pretty damn good coach, imo.

Thoughts on him?

James in PA

Reaction score
Some guys are great coordinators but don't make great head coaches. He seems to fall into that category. I'm thinking DQ might be the same way. If we must go defense, I'd rather have someone like Vrabel.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Morris seems like a great program builder guy if I had to guess or at least that's the draw with him because he's so likeable and respected? I still think Seattle is going to shock everyone and pick someone a little lesser known but can't wait to find out.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Remember, Morris was extremely young when he got the TB gig. I think he might have even been the youngest coach ever hired at the time?

Not sure, but a lot can change in a decade. He's gone on to be a very good coordinator under one of the top 2-3 coaches in the entire league in McVay.

Insiders say he's got a great vibe, personality and is beloved by his players. So I'm not just going to cast Morris off as a retread. Lots of guys failed their first time around, and then after maturing and learning went on to win SB's. Belichick, and our own Petey Carroll just to name a few.

KinesProf

Reaction score
Retread type of coach, like DQ. Pass.
Nothing wrong with being a retread, it just depends on identifying the correct individual.

Belichick, Carroll, Arians, Dungy, Coughlin, Vermeil, Reid. None of them won the Super Bowl at the first Head Coaching gig. Retreads, all of 'em.

keasley45

Reaction score
Remember, Morris was extremely young when he got the TB gig. I think he might have even been the youngest coach ever hired at the time?

Not sure, but a lot can change in a decade. He's gone on to be a very good coordinator under one of the top 2-3 coaches in the entire league in McVay.

Insiders say he's got a great vibe, personality and is beloved by his players. So I'm not just going to cast Morris off as a retread. Lots of guys failed their first time around, and then after maturing and learning went on to win SB's. Belichick, and our own Petey Carroll just to name a few.

When i first saw his name, i thought ' please no ' . But you bring up good points. If he's learned from his first experience as HC, if he's as good as players and those in the know say he is, the wildcard with him is that you may have the enigma machine to solve McVay's offense or at least slowing it down.

As much as thry though Waldron might be someone to help them decode the Rams O, provide knowledge to help defend it, and translate the concepts to the Hawks, he wasnt sharp enough to do it. Its like being given an open book test where the information is there, but the application of the knowledge is absent. So it useless.

Maybe Morris has enough experience now to have fully understood the scheme.

As to him not being an offensive mind? I think you can get the benefit of a dynamic offense without having to sell your soul for an offensive minded coach. There are more candidates that are capable of running a Shanny or McVay style offense than there are excellent coordinators gifted at stopping it. If you can get someone who can neutralize the modern style attacks and has a OC that can implement an aggressive scheme, i think thats a smart move.

The more i look at Morris, the better i like him. He has to have learned a lot working under a coach who i consider the best at strategy and in game coaching. McVay is about as good as you can get.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The more i look at Morris, the better i like him. He has to have learned a lot working under a coach who i consider the best at strategy and in game coaching. McVay is about as good as you can get.

Yeah McVay almost single handedly won that game Saturday night against Detroit with the adjustments he made during the 2nd half. The Rams were dead in the water, and almost came back and won..........with much more inferior talent on both sides of the ball.

I hate saying that, but the man can flat coach his ass off.

PhxPhin

Reaction score
Morris isn't the name that would have jumped off the list going in, but if that is where it settled then I'd be ok to give it a run

That TB situation wasn't great - probably overachieved one year and under the next

Quality coach - can he put together a staff and run the program? Maybe......

OP
OP
S

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah McVay almost single handedly won that game Saturday night against Detroit with the adjustments he made during the 2nd half. The Rams were dead in the water, and almost came back and won..........with much more inferior talent on both sides of the ball.

I hate saying that, but the man can flat coach his ass off.
Yep, I don't like him, but he is one HELL of a coach. Period.

Rat

Reaction score
I can't believe he's only 47. As long ago as he was with Tampa, I would have guessed he was around the same age as guys like Rex Ryan and Marvin Lewis.

knownone

Reaction score
Morris is similar to Dan Quinn. He may not be at the cutting edge schematically, but he has the leadership qualities you want in a head coach. I said it the day Pete was fired, and I still think it's true; Morris feels like the JS hire—someone with scheme versatility and deep connections through multiple coaching trees.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Maybe the players are making the coach. See: Aaron Donald, etc etc etc.

Ozzy

Reaction score
It’s just hard for me to move off of John’s comments today about losing OC’s all the time and how it stunted Alex Smith’s growth. I really think he wants to hire an offensive genius and pair him with a QB. He could be bluffing or his guy he wants goes elsewhere but I’m betting on an offensive minded coach and not someone like Morris who is a great coach or a defensive guy.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Morris is similar to Dan Quinn. He may not be at the cutting edge schematically, but he has the leadership qualities you want in a head coach. I said it the day Pete was fired, and I still think it's true; Morris feels like the JS hire—someone with scheme versatility and deep connections through multiple coaching trees.
They've also got distinct periods of failure on their records.