Pick #120 TE Will Dissly

Fade

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":26dpvcyw said:
Stop with the sidetracking of the thread. If you want to talk about OL's and past superbowls, start a new thread of your own.

Will Do, I will PM him.

EDIT: PM SENT.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Fade":25f8m5gf said:
Dissly isn't that great of prospect if he can't beat out Ed Dickson & Nick Vannett.

He was a 4th round pick who brings something to the field that Vannett/Dickson can't: the willingness and power to be a strong blocker.

Most 4th round picks do not see the field as rookies. I expect Dissly will see the field because of his run blocking. And I wouldn't be surprised if he progresses enough at the position to become a starter at some point.

The modus operandi of the Bevell offense was finesse, which included phasing out the FB position and using TEs who were not strong blockers. Under Bevell, there was a lot of trying to squeeze square pegs into round holes. The new M.O. is about overwhelming the opponent with the strength and power of a diverse offensive attack.

Both the Penny & Dissly picks are emblematic of this philosophical shift. They have also signed a veteran FB, who is a great blocker, and added two physical fullbacks in undrafted free agency. I'm excited to see good blocking at TE & FB. It will give the offense a fighting chance to become a well-oiled machine.

mrblitz

Reaction score
what if this dissly also lines up at fullback once in awhile? boom!

Fade

Reaction score
hawknation2018":1qyzkn0p said:
He was a 4th round pick who brings something to the field that Vannett/Dickson can't: the willingness and power to be a strong blocker.
That something isn't valued in the 4th rd. Reach.

Most 4th round picks do not see the field as rookies. I expect Dissly will see the field because of his run blocking. And I wouldn't be surprised if he progresses enough at the position to become a starter at some point.

Most 4th rd rookies don't have the opportunity to compete against backups.

The modus operandi of the Bevell offense was finesse, which included phasing out the FB position and using TEs who were not strong blockers. Under Bevell, there was a lot of trying to squeeze square pegs into round holes. The new M.O. is about overwhelming the opponent with the strength and power of a diverse offensive attack.

Explain 2011-2014 to me, 4 seasons with Bevell as the OC.

Both the Penny & Dissly picks are emblematic of this philosophical shift. They have also signed a veteran FB, who is a great blocker, and added two physical fullbacks in undrafted free agency. I'm excited to see good blocking at TE & FB. It will give the offense a fighting chance to become a well-oiled machine.

And yet you're disappointed because they didn't load up and reach on a bunch of O-Lineman because the position is scarce. You're not a fan of Penny, remember?

2Fwp content2Fuploads2F20162F062FMayweather Ls

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Blocking
Coleman_3rd_and_1_pickup.gif

Catching
Piesman0

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Fade":3su0nm4s said:
hawknation2018":3su0nm4s said:

And yet you're disappointed because they didn't load up and reach on a bunch of O-Lineman because the position is scarce. You're not a fan of Penny, remember?

So juvenile. I'm not as high on Penny as others. But that pick, along with the Dissly selection, shows a commitment to the running game that we have not seen in several years.

Your argument that blocking TEs aren't "valued in the 4th rd" has two fatal flaws:

(1) I like the fact that the Seahawks are willing to go against the grain in valuing attributes that will lead to a strong running game. That they trying to become stronger at running the ball and blocking is a good thing.

(2) Blocking TEs are OFTEN taken in the 4th round. We are talking about halfway through the draft. Many of these picks will never develop into starters. Getting the best blocking TE in the draft -- and one of the only decent blocking TEs in this draft -- is not a "reach" in the 4th round. Just last year, Michael Roberts (who was one of the best blocking TEs in that class) was selected in the 4th round by the Detroit Lions.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Also, Michael Roberts was like the 5h best blocker in that draft class, while Dissly is probably THE best this year.

Fade

Reaction score
hawknation2018":tyc29alv said:
Fade":tyc29alv said:

So juvenile. I'm not as high on Penny as others. But that pick, along with the Dissly selection, shows a commitment to the running game that we have not seen in several years.

Your argument that blocking TEs aren't "valued in the 4th rd" has two fatal flaws:

(1) I like the fact that the Seahawks are willing to go against the grain in valuing attributes that will lead to a strong running game. That they trying to become stronger at running the ball and blocking is a good thing.

(2) Blocking TEs are OFTEN taken in the 4th round. We are talking about halfway through the draft. Many of these picks will never develop into starters. Getting the best blocking TE in the draft -- and one of the only decent blocking TEs in this draft -- is not a "reach" in the 4th round. Just last year, Michael Roberts (who was one of the best blocking TEs in that class) was selected in the 4th round by the Detroit Lions.

You love them L's, I had to give you a visual.

6-7 rd prospect is a reach no matter how much you wish he isn't. He can't block if he isn't on the field as a 3rd stringer. Unless you suspect he will be used in a niche role. Which also proves my point, as I have said he is a niche player.

You still haven't explained Bevell's offense in 2011-2014, understandable beause it was a lie.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Fade":1ypniajx said:

6-7 rd prospect is a reach no matter how much you wish he isn't. He can't block if he isn't on the field as a 3rd stringer. Unless you suspect he will be used in a niche role. Which also proves my point, as I have said he is a niche player.

You still haven't explained Bevell's offense in 2011-2014, understandable beause it was a lie.

Marshawn Lynch covered up for a lot of Bevell's sins during that time. I also believe there was a gradual shift away from Carroll's preferred offensive style to Bevell's prefered finesse.

Dissly is actually the opposite of a "niche" player. He can block and catch well, unlike Vannett or Dickson, who don't play like they enjoy contact. The fact that he has the potential to grow into an all-around TE should lead to early playing time, because they can use him on all three downs.

Fade

Reaction score
Fade":2mb3hzl7 said:

hawknation2018":2mb3hzl7 said:
Marshawn Lynch covered up for a lot of Bevell's sins during that time. I also believe there was a gradual shift away from Carroll's preferred offensive style to Bevell's prefered finesse.

How did the offense look finesse during those early years though? It didn't. Period.

Bevell was a yes man, who had no power. He answered to Cable, and Carroll.
Fiction can be fun, but it was Carroll who was aggressively pursuing offensive weapons to upgrade the offense. Not realizing the upgrade he needed was to get rid of Bevell & Cable. It finally hit Carroll like a ton of bricks during last season. Thank god.

The straying from the running game, had to do with not having any runners. Not Bevell's philosophy (which doesn't matter because he had no power.) That is why they took a runningback in the 1st round this year. Which you're not a fan of remember? Reaching for O-Linemen due to scarcity is the better strategy according to you. Even though that is what they did in '16 and it failed spectacularly.

hawknation2018":2mb3hzl7 said:
Dissly is actually the opposite of a "niche" player. He can block and catch well, unlike Vannett or Dickson, who don't play like they enjoy contact. The fact that he has the potential to grow into an all-around TE should lead to early playing time, because they can use him on all three downs.

He doesn't have the speed or the receiving chops to not be a niche player. You can mention Zach Miller until you're blue in the face, but Zach was elite as a receiver, understanding all the nuisances of being a receiver, and was more accomplished in High School & College. This young man is a project. A 6-7 rounder only 2 yrs playing the position. Who will be playing behind backups proving further he is a project.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Fade":2inohkdq said:
hawknation2018":2inohkdq said:

He doesn't have the speed or the receiving chops to not be a niche player. You can mention Zach Miller until you're blue in the face, but Zach was elite as a receiver, understanding all the nuisances of being a receiver, and was more accomplished in High School & College. This young man is a project. A 6-7 rounder only 2 yrs playing the position. Who will be playing behind backups proving further he is a project.

Entering Day 3, Schneider and Carroll say Dissly was at the top of their board, and it was nerve racking waiting to see if he would be available at their pick. He was their #1 blocking TE and the perfect "fit guy." They think he can do it all, describing his hands as "awesome." At the combine, they could not hear the ball hit his hands during his receiving workouts, which is an indication of having soft hands that quickly secure the football. Before Dissly, they said they have had a really hard time finding TEs who can both run routes and be a strong blocker. Hence, the need.

Check out the presser or my write up:
https://www.seahawks.com/video/john-sch ... conference

Fade

Reaction score
1st: Go ahead and read what PC/JS said about Vannett when he was drafted.

2nd: I'm not debating his hands. I'm debating route running, and ability to seperate from NFL defenders on passing downs.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Fade":204rjkwc said:

2nd: I'm not debating his hands. I'm debating route running, and ability to seperate from NFL defenders on passing downs.

Unfortunately, they were wrong about Vennett, who started out as a receiver first and only began to advance as a blocker in his final collegiate season. Dissly's just a lot more physical than Vannett, who plays more like a basketball player. Taking Dissly is a sort of mea culpa for the difficulty they have had in finding TEs who can do both: run routes to catch the ball and be physical blockers. They think Dissly is the all-around TE they have been looking for.

They also complimented Dissly's route running, saying he can do both. But I do agree with you, at least in part, that route running is something he will need to continue to develop. It's amazing how far he has come as a TE in just a couple years. Schneider feels Dissly is the closest they have seen to Zach Miller, and he wasn't limiting that statement to just this class. That's a bold statement. Excited to watch his progress.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Love this pick ...He isn't Zach but can end up being the closest version of him that you will find.
He is from UW so I am extra excited..

Fade

Reaction score
hawknation2018":7nshemt4 said:
Fade":7nshemt4 said:

Unfortunately, they were wrong about Vennett, who started out as a receiver first and only began to advance as a blocker in his final collegiate season. Dissly's play is just a lot more physical han Vannett, who plays more like a basketball player. Taking Dissly is a sort of mea culpa for the difficulty they have had in finding TEs who can do both: run routes to catch the ball and be physical blockers. They think Dissly is the all-around TE they have been looking for.

They also complimented Dissly's route running, saying he can do both. But I do agree with you, at least in part, that route running is something he will need to continue to develop. It's amazing how far he has come as a TE in just a couple years. Schneider feels Dissly is the closest they have seen to Zach Miller, and he wasn't limiting that statement to just this class. That's a bold statement. Excited to watch his progress.

PC/JS get excited about everyone, and are over complimentary with everyone they draft. Giving that ultimate positive spin. As you know you must do your own research to get closer to the truth.

He is a project. If he sees the field it will be in obvious run situations serving a niche role. He will catch a few balls too as defenders will forget about him on play action.

But make no mistake he is not advanced enough yet to be a receiver on 3rd down in an obvious pass situation to consistently win against NFL secondaries, and he may never get there. It sort of like teaching shaq how to shoot freethows. He could practice & practice, but may never be good at it because it's just not his skill set.

He is a role player brought in to block. Which will lead him to being a tell player. I'm okay with this...in the 6-7 rds.