Pick #120 TE Will Dissly

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I wonder if we're going to line him up as fullback ever? Penny ran out of the I formation most of the time, and San Diego State used their fullback quite a bit.

Fade

Reaction score
original poster":fe0qd2c1 said:
Fade":fe0qd2c1 said:
You got me teetering. I just need that money shot. 3rd down against man coverage.

With that being said I am willing to recant my "reach" statement.

Simply put I do not remember Will Dissly being that fluid in terms of his route running, adjusting to the ball when it is in the air, and running after the catch. He is still raw in these areas, but he is far more advanced in these areas than I had originally recalled. I, along with many others, including the reports I have read have been sleeping on him.

Fortunately the Seahawks weren't because they got a good prospect in the 4th round, and is worthy of that selection.

I don't think he will ever be Zach Miller, but he will be close enough.

I've always highly respected your opinions Fade, but when I was reading your previous comments I was saying to myself where is he getting this stuff from?! Hats off for coming around.

Dissly will be 1B to to Dickson at 1A IMO.

With that said, things could click with Vannett this season and he could fly up the depth chart, but I've yet to see anything to feel confident about that.

Yeah, I was wrong on Dissly's skillset. Dissly is a real sleeper prospect that is the closest thing to Zach Miller this org has had.

The key here is to always be open to new information, which I always am. Not to just to get locked in on an opinion and refuse to relinquish.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Fade":1vueu4w1 said:
The key here is to always be open to new information, which I always am. Not to just to get locked in on an opinion and refuse to relinquish.

Much respect.

justafan

Reaction score
I think the difference between liking this pick or not depends on what your idea of what a TE is. Some people like Graham style some like Zach Miller type.

I think you win more with a Miller type who will do the little things that win games and not care what their stat line is.

Dissly is a tough kid willing to change positions and do what the staff asked to help the team,he was huge in the run game.If he makes it that will be his strength and reason why.

Odds are, a 4th round pick will be a poor to marginal player.I think he will make it though

JPC4Days

Reaction score
Dissly running a 4 flat short shuttle and a 7.07 three cone are kinda getting over looked... and when combined with all the other attributes people have talked about are positive indicators in determining the success he will have in the specific things he will be asked to do. I remember Bucky brooks talking to Vannett about his 4.8 forty and saying that getting open at TE is more of an art form with all the underneath zone they go against. I also remember Vannette's coach Urban Meyer talking about him during the draft. He corrected the panel when they were describing him... he said he is a made player but he is not the tradition Y tight end that will dig people out of there ... he is more of a move tight end that is a very good blocker. Perhaps part of Vannetts lack of winning everyone over last year is the fact that he was doing something he had learned to do as a move tight end but not exactly what he does best. So in this new landscape of very few traditional hand in the dirt Y tight ends ... John and Pete did a little more projecting. I remember this because after watching Jimmy Graham fall off of block after block I really wanted the hawks to draft a great blocking tight end. Then when I heard Urban Meyer correct the panel when they said he was one of the few Y tight ends in this draft... I think I tried to pretend he didn't say it ... he said he has become a very good blocker but he is not the traditional dig you out of there tight end. What I am saying is maybe Will Dissly is the traditional blocking tight end we all have been wanting for a long time. Maybe Vannette has gotten a lot better over the summer and we will have two tight end sets will very sound run blocking and very quick not fast pass catchers with great hands.... man I hope that is what we have now.
Also that fullback from Michigan ... if it turns out he can actually find the right running lane and become a great lead blocker ... you could do two tight end sets with that monster as a 275lb fullback with great hands and throw a play action pass after you have been running down hill at them all day. I like that idea a lot ... but I am getting ahead of myself.
I just wrote all of this to say that Vannett was not a dig you out of there Y tight end according to his coach ... maybe he becomes that... I am happy that nobody is saying that about Dissly.
[youtube]9quQtqExohw[/youtube]

hawknation2018

Reaction score
JPC4Days":3vamowod said:
Dissly running a 4 flat short shuttle and a 7.07 three cone are kinda getting over looked... and when combined with all the other attributes people have talked about are positive indicators in determining the success he will have in the specific things he will be asked to do. I remember Bucky brooks talking to Vannett about his 4.8 forty and saying that getting open at TE is more of an art form with all the underneath zone they go against. I also remember Vannette's coach Urban Meyer talking about him during the draft. He corrected the panel when they were describing him... he said he is a made player but he is not the tradition Y tight end that will dig people out of there ... he is more of a move tight end that is a very good blocker. Perhaps part of Vannetts lack of winning everyone over last year is the fact that he was doing something he had learned to do as a move tight end but not exactly what he does best. So in this new landscape of very few traditional hand in the dirt Y tight ends ... John and Pete did a little more projecting. I remember this because after watching Jimmy Graham fall off of block after block I really wanted the hawks to draft a great blocking tight end. Then when I heard Urban Meyer correct the panel when they said he was one of the few Y tight ends in this draft... I think I tried to pretend he didn't say it ... he said he has become a very good blocker but he is not the traditional dig you out of there tight end. What I am saying is maybe Will Dissly is the traditional blocking tight end we all have been wanting for a long time. Maybe Vannette has gotten a lot better over the summer and we will have two tight end sets will very sound run blocking and very quick not fast pass catchers with great hands.... man I hope that is what we have now.
Also that fullback from Michigan ... if it turns out he can actually find the right running lane and become a great lead blocker ... you could do two tight end sets with that monster as a 275lb fullback with great hands and throw a play action pass after you have been running down hill at them all day. I like that idea a lot ... but I am getting ahead of myself.
I just wrote all of this to say that Vannett was not a dig you out of there Y tight end according to his coach ... maybe he becomes that... I am happy that nobody is saying that about Dissly.

:greetingsearthling:

Awesome first post (though people will complain about the lack of spacing).

Graham had a 6.9 3-cone. Miller was 7.01. Not far off from Dissly's 7.07.

JPC4Days

Reaction score
hawknation2018":2jqgw1dn said:
JPC4Days":2jqgw1dn said:

Cool thank you, I was an old poster from back in the day when we were having wars over Alexander getting paid over

Steve Hutchinson, he is just an guard. People calling Lofa Tutupu a hobit and RW too short... I was Sliv and 80einstein45
back then...
I will remember the spacing. I found the youtube video of what I was talking about.

I think we have a point of attack te now... I remember being bummed out to here that about Nick and glad to not hear that about Will.
I watched him as a dog and was hoping he would be an udfa pick up for the Hawks ... and really don't care that he was fourth round.

I just hope he is the Dude at TE we all want him to be and have been hoping the Hawks pick up... as long as he doesn't get struck by lighting or hit by an asteroid ... there maybe a chance.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Fade":1z1hng2h said:
hawknation2018":1z1hng2h said:
The beautiful things you can do with a TE, who is also a physical blocker.

Giphy

Those are some pretty nice gifs you have there. :mrgreen:

Dissly stuffs his passrusher, then passes him off to another blocker, then releases out for the pass... heady play, beautiful to watch. All set up by being an overpowering blocker.

Loving this pick!

hawknation2018

Reaction score
JPC4Days":to9gzoot said:
hawknation2018":to9gzoot said:
JPC4Days":to9gzoot said:

Cool thank you, I was an old poster from back in the day when we were having wars over Alexander getting paid over

Steve Hutchinson, he is just an guard. People calling Lofa Tutupu a hobit and RW too short... I was Sliv and 80einstein45
back then...
I will remember the spacing. I found the youtube video of what I was talking about.

I think we have a point of attack te now... I remember being bummed out to here that about Nick and glad to not hear that about Will.
I watched him as a dog and was hoping he would be an udfa pick up for the Hawks ... and really don't care that he was fourth round.

I just hope he is the Dude at TE we all want him to be and have been hoping the Hawks pick up... as long as he doesn't get struck by lighting or hit by an asteroid ... there maybe a chance.

Welcome back! Go Hawks!

olyfan63

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":37pcl76i said:
Would you like to know why teams like Philadelphia and Tennessee were so adept at running the ball on us last year?

It's because they have good blocking tight ends. Guys who can get off the line, land their blocks, and maintain them on the perimeter. It's not just about your five main guys, and never was. "Blocking TE" is a position on the rise in the NFL and I don't blame Pete and John one bit for thinking Dissly might not have lasted to the 7th.

Great pick.

HISTORICAL CORRECTION.
Some of you young whippersnappers may not recall the full Seahawks history on this, from the days of "Ground Chuck" Knox. On the Seahawks, the position is called, "OUTSIDE TACKLE". What is this "Tight End" and "Blocking TE" rubbish anyway?

None other than Mike Tice, of the "Fill Your Belly Deli" fame, was the *prototype* Seahawks OUTSIDE TACKLE.

Welcome, Will Dissley, pick #120, the Seattle Seahawks "OUTSIDE TACKLE" of the future!
Pete, if in doubt on how to use Dissley, just ask yourself, "WWCD?" What Would Chuck Do?

P.S. Rumor was the rules changed a few decades back to where they could legally throw passes to those Outside Tackles. I sure hope Pete doesn't get caught up in all this newfangled BS and sticks to the bread-and-butter role of the Outside Tackle position.

original poster

Reaction score
If the OL still struggles next season, I'd expect Dissly to be one of the biggest beneficiaries of it.

He will be assigned to block, but as and when the play breaks down expect him to release and pick up a first down, he will do this time and time again next season I bet.

jmahon316

Reaction score
hawknation2018":2lefzxbp said:
Nice video on Dissly's blocking:

[youtube]Na0SbCIm0eY[/youtube]

I really think this guy is going to have a huge impact on our run game and can't wait for football season to start

massari

Reaction score
hawknation2018":2l7oj3ic said:

Is there a vid like this with Vannett out there?

Dissly looks determined.

hawknation2018

Reaction score

massari

Reaction score
hawknation2018":7h2gboh2 said:
massari":7h2gboh2 said:
hawknation2018":7h2gboh2 said:

Is there a vid like this with Vannett out there?

Dissly looks determined.

Not a compilation that I can find. There is the usual game tape: http://archive.draftbreakdown.com/players/nick-vannett/

[youtube]11cCvnvNhSc[/youtube]
[youtube]xdpzy2TP6fI[/youtube]
Is he considered a better blocker than Vannett coming out of the draft?

OP
OP
vin.couve12

vin.couve12

Reaction score
So I'm going to double down on the Zach Miller comp. He may actually remind me more of Mark Bavaro, specifically the blocking and breaking tackles. Very powerful player with surprisingly good center of gravity, which gives him the ability to break said tackles and drag people while also lending natural leverage..

I'm also kind of laughing at that comp due to how many are going to have to google Mark Bavaro.