PFT's Exec of the year

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":bzggetcp said:
bigDhawk":bzggetcp said:
PCJS won Super Bowl XLVIII in the fourth season of their administration in Seattle with only four players on the 53-man roster from before they arrived in 2010. The other 49 players on that championship team were all acquired and developed by PJCS. Yet at no point during those four years do they get credit for building a Super Bowl winner literally out of thin air? It boggles the mind.
As the guy in your avatar said: "yeah".

Good post man.

I'm thankful

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":351kauj7 said:
Knowing for a fact that there have been fixed events in a variety of professional sports in the past indicates that it's possible for it to happen in football. I don't see how that's irrelevant.

Completely agree since a one on one boxing match is entirely comparable to a 53 man roster and coaching staff all agreeing to collectively do their jobs in a terrible manner to secure a rookie that may or may not succeed.

Solid take, would read again.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3frii0fg said:
volsunghawk":3frii0fg said:
TriCHawk":3frii0fg said:
I think one sure way to get GM of the year is to tank your season and draft a really good can't-miss QB.... cough cough... Colts... cough cough
No.

The guy you accuse of tanking in Indy lost his job. So did the head coach. In other words, tanking derails your career, at least for a while.
It's awfully suspicious that the Colts lost horrifically after winning seasons enough to get the #1 overall pick just after Irsay took over the Colts to draft Peyton in the late 90s, and then when they needed another franchise QB, the same exact thing happened. ......-> Yeah, I mean, what's the odds that happens to the SAME team like that?

Do you disagree with the general statement I just made?
I don't disagree at all, in fact I said the same thing when I saw the bolt of lightning striking the same place twice.
When your hot rod car is wearing out, you go and get a brand new one that doesn't have all the wear and tear on it, tune it to racing specs., and go back to the race track for more trophy's.
Manning (drafted by the Colts) is considered one of the very best Quarterbacks to EVER play in the NFL, and it's a coincidence that Andrew Luck (also drafted by the Colts) is projected to mirror or best Peytons' achievements?
Yeah, okay. LOL

Maulbert

Reaction score
kidhawk":23ie8od0 said:
Also, a slight correction....our squad that won Super Bowl XLVIII was just slightly older than the '71 Dolphins and thus are the 2nd youngest team to win a Super Bowl (not that I'm complaining though)

The '71 Dolphins didn't win the Super Bowl. They lost to Dallas 24-3. The '72 Dolphins won the first of back-to-back Super Bowls over Washington, 14-7. We were the 2nd youngest team to appear in the Super Bowl, but the youngest to win it.

SChawk27

Reaction score
Regardless of whether or not the Colts tanked the 2011 season to get Luck, their new GM Grigson won Exec of the Year for essentially drafting Andrew Luck #1 overall. Probably the easiest #1 overall pick in a decade.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
I get it. We gave up a ton of money and draft resources for a player we'll likely get a 6th round pick for. Shame that it reflects ill on JS when it appears it was predominantly Pete's decision. Plus it may have cost us some players we might otherwise have kept (and not just Tate, who might have left for other reasons).

From my point of view that slight shouldn't count against us this season, getting rid of Percy when we did not only appears to have had a positive affect on the team, but probably allowed us to keep KJ and Cliff too. Still the fact we were willing to cut a guy who cost us so much shows the scale of a mistake that was essentially admitted to in October.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1rkrqb9q said:
Knowing for a fact that there have been fixed events in a variety of professional sports in the past indicates that it's possible for it to happen in football. I don't see how that's irrelevant.

I would argue that fixing a team sport that involves a 53-man roster and 22 starters and massive coaching staffs and team front offices is vastly different from a guy taking a fall or a single ref being bought off.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Question about the Colts "suck for Luck" season....

I agree that it would be almost impossible to make the coaches and players ruin their careers for the sake of an organization they will no longer be part of....but couldn't the GM purposely sign certain players that he knows will suck? I don't know...

volsunghawk

Reaction score
fenderbender123":2jka82og said:
Question about the Colts "suck for Luck" season....

I agree that it would be almost impossible to make the coaches and players ruin their careers for the sake of an organization they will no longer be part of....but couldn't the GM purposely sign certain players that he knows will suck? I don't know...

GM lost his job, too. And that team was made up of players who performed well enough when Manning was running things.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1xj3skao said:
RolandDeschain":1xj3skao said:

Completely agree since a one on one boxing match is entirely comparable to a 53 man roster and coaching staff all agreeing to collectively do their jobs in a terrible manner to secure a rookie that may or may not succeed.

So, it's IMPOSSIBLE for a defensive or offensive coordinator to perhaps never purposely not try their hardest to win against an opponent under the right circumstances? Literally, zero chance?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I'd understand the Arians/Keim lovefest if the Cardinals actually won down the stretch with backup QB's and did something in the playoffs.

But they didn't, they crashed and burned.

The Cardinals were 10-6 last year, so who didn't expect them to have a similar record this year with the same personnel?

olyfan63

Reaction score
TDOTSEAHAWK":20ovnp6f said:
As I say every year with these worthless awards - the only objective coach/exec of the year award is the Super Bowl. Everyone can have all the awards they want as long as we keep winning Super Bowls.

Think of these other awards as the "self esteem" trophies for Jerrah and others of his ilk, for attending camp.

The Lombardi and the HOF are the honors that I would expect matter to Pete and John. Division titles too.

I'm sure Pete and John are happy that Jerrah got a lil' self-esteem boost from the award.

FargoHawk

Reaction score
Please stop! The entire Colts team did not tank a season to get the 1st pick. That is the dumbest thing I've read here and if you truly believe that then you are clueless.

Sonichellboy

Reaction score
SChawk27":3r7ktvs6 said:
Regardless of whether or not the Colts tanked the 2011 season to get Luck, their new GM Grigson won Exec of the Year for essentially drafting Andrew Luck #1 overall. Probably the easiest #1 overall pick in a decade.
Didn't he trade a first-round pick for Trent Richardson that year as well?

OP
OP
Cartire

Cartire

Reaction score
FargoHawk":68hpzixr said:
Please stop! The entire Colts team did not tank a season to get the 1st pick. That is the dumbest thing I've read here and if you truly believe that then you are clueless.

If thats the dumbest thing youve read here, then you havent read here enough.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":282hwb3b said:
I get it. We gave up a ton of money and draft resources for a player we'll likely get a 6th round pick for. Shame that it reflects ill on JS when it appears it was predominantly Pete's decision. Plus it may have cost us some players we might otherwise have kept (and not just Tate, who might have left for other reasons).

From my point of view that slight shouldn't count against us this season, getting rid of Percy when we did not only appears to have had a positive affect on the team, but probably allowed us to keep KJ and Cliff too. Still the fact we were willing to cut a guy who cost us so much shows the scale of a mistake that was essentially admitted to in October.
From what I've read it was more Pete than John, but john doesn't get a free pass. What I read was that Schneider was willing to put his foot down and say NO when rumors were that Harvin wanted $16m/yr (seriously...for a wr with 0 1000 yard seasons). But when the asking price came down Schneider was no longer willing to say NO. That's why he doesn't get a free pass. Based on Harvin's (lack of) production in Minnesota along with his injury history and off-field problems he was worth about $1m per season and a 7th round pick to Minnesota at best. To sign off on a deal that so GROSSLY overvalued Harvin was a clear violation of everything that was making the Hawks good.

ZERO of our high-price FA/trades from other teams lived up to their salary (zach miller was overpaid despite being valuable, Rice was way overpaid despite the occasional good game, Harvin was the worst move in team history) and yet the Hawks had managed to draft players and go bargain hunting and THAT is what paid dividends (along with the COMPETE culture change, but that's another topic).

It is so ridiculously obvious which types of moves have worked, and which ones haven't. Heck, even Bennett and Avril came in on cheap deals, avoiding the "high priced" label. When the hawks went big, they failed miserably. But when they focused on doing their thing they were successful.

Lesson that should have been learned already BEFORE they traded for Harvin: save your money for players who have succeeded in a Seahawks uniform already. If someone from another team wants to come in win with us then make him earn a new contract before you hand one out.

We now have ZERO success with high-priced players from other teams, but Super Bowl success with home-grown players and players from other teams who earned it first.

So yes, Schneider deserves blame for agreeing to the trade KNOWING FULL WELL (just like me and anyone else who hated the trade from day 1) that Golden Tate's days were numbered. There was no way they were going to pay to keep Tate with Harvin taking up so much cap space. They willingly set in motion a plan that would remove a home-grown player for a POS from another team. The Hawks DESERVED for Harvin to be an utter failure. Who gives that kind of money to a "wide receiver" who had proven nothing on the field for Minnesota? The football gods do not look kindly on teams that make stupid moves like that, and yet we were so good in other areas that we STILL won a super bowl.

I still love Schneider though!

olyfan63

Reaction score
Harvin was nearly all Pete, IMO. Pete drooled over his specific talents, and had been since USC.
If John failed, it was in the background/character evaluation part. However, I believe Pete essentially overrode John in that area. I think Pete lobbied John that Pete was sure he'd be successful with his Boystown Father Flanagan reclamation project on Harvin. He was just another misunderstood young African American man, and another Marshawn Lynch success story just waiting to happen, and besides, the increasing success of the Bruce Irvin reclamation (from the streets) project was showing Pete's Midas touch; hey, Pete's as good as a sure thing on these.

Except that Harvin's problem is a mental illness, an internal way of being that is far stronger than Pete's "team culture", and in fact is nearly guaranteed to be a turd in the punch bowl of that culture. I believe Percy Harvin shows all the signs of Borderline Personality Disorder, and that explanation perfectly matches Harvin's entire history and trail of incidents and issues. Once Pete and John realized what they were actually dealing with and got professional advice, they dropped Harvin like a hot potato. They will not make that mistake again. Search my other posts on "Borderline" and "Harvin" for a more detailed breakdown of the condition and a play-by-play breakdown of how I believe that played out with the Seahawks. I expect Harvin will be on his best behavior with New York probably until the middle of next season, and then the mask will come off.

If someone has quality information that more clearly shows John's role in the Harvin fiasco, even (especially) if it differs from my take, please share it; I'd love to see it. Mainly I recall Pete talking about how they graded Harvin as a first-round talent for the current draft class, and it made more sense to go with that than to take a chance in the draft.