PFF: 4 Seahawks should have been Round 1 picks

ivotuk

Reaction score
John Schneider has said things that indicate to me that he let someone influence some of his picks. Like Rashad Penny, Germaine Ifedi, Dee Eskeridge, and I'm positive taht Cable wanted lazy butt James Carpenter.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
John Schneider has said things that indicate to me that he let someone influence some of his picks. Like Rashad Penny, Germaine Ifedi, Dee Eskeridge, and I'm positive taht Cable wanted lazy butt James Carpenter.
I'm almost positive that this was the case. Carroll wanted complete control when he came here. Carroll saw lack of control as being the main contributors to his downfall in New England and New York. Schneider in GB seemed to take a more conventional approach to things. Carroll is also the guy that ultimately ended up hiring Schneider, so the power dynamic has always been skewed towards Carroll.

I noticed this offseason, Carroll has seemed to take more of a manager role. His coordinators seem to have a lot more freedom to implement their visions. He hired a lot more consultants such as Desai to come in and help implement certain schemes. Our defense this year seems to be a mixture between the Fangio style and Pete style of defense.

I think Pete being less of a micro manager has helped things to a great degree.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
I've listened to a lot of seahawks interviews over the year, including a bunch from JS. I've only heard that John treats the draft as his choice but allows input from all departments. As he should.

I think Pete is more hands off then people think. John told a story how he traded up to draft DK in the 2nd rd and it sounded like it happened without Pete's knowledge and approval. If he's got that authority, I'm guessing he mostly gets ultimate decision on most, if not all, draft picks.

AgentDib

Reaction score
There have been some leaks that the scouting department said Pete would override John and the scouting team for early picks that turned out to be terrible. Who knows if its true or not. There are also rumors that this year Pete stepped back a little for this process and let John take the lead which if he did and they hit he deserves credit for.
Come on, you should at least provide some sort of source if you're going to be promoting 100% speculation like this. Who did you hear it from?

ivotuk

Reaction score
Verbatim from John Schneider: "I was told if I didn't take Germaine Ifedi in the 1st, that I didn't know what I was doing. So I said, Okay, I guess we're taking Ifedi."

That sounds to me like something that Tom Cable would say.

Another time he talked about someone telling him all the great things they could do with Dee Eskeridge. Like most here, I wanted the Oklahoma Center.

If Eskeridge ever gets up to speed, he could be well worth that pick. But I'm still waiting.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Come on, you should at least provide some sort of source if you're going to be promoting 100% speculation like this. Who did you hear it from?
Someone else already posted they heard the same thing from Duggar. I don’t remember where I heard it because it was months ago. I know cowherd also talked about it and if you search Pete Carroll and cowherd I bet it pops.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
2010 had Earl Thomas and Kam who are in the HoF conversation, plus Tate and Okung who were long term highly rated starter in the league at skill positions, so probably this. McCoy and Thurmond were also decent role players
That’s pretty strong and obviously there are many years left before the question can be tackled. I’d say on paper and with early returns, this class has a lead. Then you’ll get to the quantity vs quality aspect of the debate if this class has 5 or 6 perennial pro-bowlers with 1 or fewer HoF candidates, is that better than a class with 1 first ballot lock and 1 probable but not much else?

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
This draft class is the envy of the NFL. To turn your team around in one year is very hard to do. I don’t think people realize what JS has done here, it’s amazing.

Even if we had just hit on the tackles it would be an amazing draft. There are a lot of first and second round tackles who don’t live up to their draft positions.

And PC does a great job trusting and developing rookies. As opposed to someone like BB who prefers veteran players.

OP
OP
bileever

bileever

Reaction score
Walker may win OROY and there's people that still wouldn't have drafted him in the 1st round.
It's surprising that analytics-heavy PFF thinks that Walker should have been drafted in the 1st round. Maybe the pendulum is swinging back. Even Shanahan, who thinks you can put anyone in at RB, decided that maybe it makes a difference if you have a decent RB and went and got CMC at a hefty price.