Pete says Ryan Neal wouldn't have helped? + Game Analysis

Tokadub

Reaction score
I thought we would lose this game.

It's HOW we lost it, that's bothering me.

We have 1 Wilson overthrow for Tyler Lockett (ball skimmed off his outstretched diving fingers)... if Wilson puts that ball on the money that's probably a Touch Down. Wilson also had a few other bad throws like the first Lockett Interception he placed it in a real bad place... if he puts that out in front of Lockett that should of been fine I think.

Then we pass on the 47 yard Field Goal vs the Rams??? Knowing how our games vs the Rams go I would take 3 points in a heart beat. Maybe Pete knows something we don't know? Jason Meyers had an uncharacteristically bad game.

If Wilson hits Tyler Lockett for that touchdown throw and we go for the 47 yard Field Goal and Jason Meyers hits it... we very well could of won this game...

That's what hurts about this game, I was expecting the Rams to be on a different level, like we would have no chance to win...

But we had a chance to win, with all of the Rams mistakes like throwing a lazy interception, 2 kickoffs going out off bounds...

The Rams played like $&*% and we didn't lose because they are better, we lost because we were out coached.

We had a super easy opportunity to steal a game against the better team but our coaches are more concerned with their own egos and looking good with their draft picks and trades... they gave the Rams a free win from pure hubris.

When Pete Carroll said in the post game interview paraphrasing him "No, Ryan Neal wouldn't make a difference."

THAT IS QUITE SIMPLY THE STUPIDEST THING I'VE EVER HEARD PETE CARROLL SAY!!!

It's like they are so egotistical they are sticking with Jamal Adams and Jordyn Brooks even if they can't cover AT ALL... like NOT EVEN CLOSE...

How did we get to the point our coaches won't implement the personell and scheme to win, they just want to use the guys they invested in even if they suck???

I am truly disgusted, not because we lost but how we lost...

I was watching this game very confused why Ryan Neal wasn't on the field. By some miracle we shut them down in the first half, like I said the Rams had a bad game (maybe because it was Thursday Night?).

I was OK with us not having any adjustments that seem OBVIOUSLY way better up until the first Rams Touchdown. At that point I was like OK surely they'll start making some coaching adjustments. We should see some more unique packages instead of the same thing every team ALREADY destroyed this season...

BUT NO OUR COACHES DIED ON THEIR SWORD. THEY SAID "WE AREN'T GOING TO USE OUR BRAINS!"

They said "WE DON'T CARE IF WE WIN WE HAVE TO PROVE JAMAL ADAMS AND JORDYN BROOKS AREN'T BUSTS"...

We probably could of won this game with just 2 different play outcomes that I mentioned at the start of this post... but our coaches are deliberately playing to lose because they want to be right about their personell decisions even though WE ARE THE WORST DEFENSE IN THE F&*(%& LEAGUE!?

Side Notes:

- Ryan Neal in his last 5 games that he had any significant playing time has 6 passes defended and 2 interceptions. That's literally on pace to be the best safety in the league in passes defended but Pete says "Ryan Neal wouldn't make a difference?"... this is the first time I question if Pete should be the coach after that quote, that's so stupid I can't even put into words...

- Why did the Offensive Line seem to play so much better when Russell went out? Are they still mad about that?

- Geno Smith looked surprisingly good, better than Russell this game... that blows my mind a little bit.

- Jamal Adams SUCKS, he shouldn't be playing so many snaps but our coaches are egotistical idiots and want to force something that will end our season.

cymatica

Reaction score
It's especially maddening when Kupp and Woods always get open on the base defense and Pete actually said that Neal and the dime package was not in the game plan.

They could easily put Adams in Brooks' spot and bring Neal in. They are last against the run so it's not like it would make them worse.

keasley45

Reaction score
I get the frustration. What I don't get is dismissing what was a solid performance in the first half by the D as the Rams being off... what?

The D played the Rams tougher than just about anyone but the cardinals did and we just attribute that to them playing poorly?what??

It's OK to be cynical, but why the hate?

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
Imagine if you will, you're Pete. You panicked last year and because of the lack of talent on your defense so you over spend to obtain a one trick pony safety for two 1sts and a 3rd. Now follow along with this part. That high price safety is average at best in pass coverage, sure he'll break the record for most sacks for a DB but he also was used for nothing else all season, inflating those numbers.

Now it gets interesting. After that high price tag you are now obligated to sign this safety to a huge, longterm contract or else you just over paid (in picks) for a one year rental. As all this is happening turns out there was a significantly cheaper and better rounded player on your roster ALREADY that is better in pass coverage.

The LAST thing you want to do, as Pete, is give Neal significant game time or else you'd look like a complete fool.

cymatica

Reaction score
Seahawk_Dan":o2639mib said:
Imagine if you will, you're Pete. You panicked last year and because of the lack of talent on your defense so you over spend to obtain a one trick pony safety for two 1sts and a 3rd. Now follow along with this part. That high price safety is average at best in pass coverage, sure he'll break the record for most sacks for a DB but he also was used for nothing else all season, inflating those numbers.

Now it gets interesting. After that high price tag you are now obligated to sign this safety to a huge, longterm contract or else you just over paid (in picks) for a one year rental. As all this is happening turns out there was a significantly cheaper and better rounded player on your roster ALREADY that is better in pass coverage.

The LAST thing you want to do, as Pete, is give Neal significant game time or else you'd look like a complete fool.

As opposed to looking like a stubborn fool who refuses to admit his mistake

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
cymatica":ok5n98w9 said:
Seahawk_Dan":ok5n98w9 said:

Exactly. Now you're thinking like a Pete! Now go! Write "Win Forever 2"!

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
There's some valid thought behind it.

It's very hard to substitute against the Rams, and Neal getting significant playing time means playing him in base and lightening up the box. Not something you really want to do against the Rams.

Of course, they got lit up anyway, and I'm not saying Neal wouldn't have been a net positive. With this defense though, it's gonna be damned if they do, damned if they don't. Let's be real.

OP
OP
Tokadub

Tokadub

Reaction score
keasley45":hznq5pzy said:
I get the frustration. What I don't get is dismissing what was a solid performance in the first half by the D as the Rams being off... what?

The D played the Rams tougher than just about anyone but the cardinals did and we just attribute that to them playing poorly?what??

It's OK to be cynical, but why the hate?

I don't dismiss it, I was fine with it (even though it didn't make sense schematically) up until the first Rams Touchdown.

I will give them credit somehow they held it down in the first half. But I think it was like a dam about to break that whole time and we never plugged the hole.

At that point I expected them to make adjustments but instead we gave up more yards than our season average which was already worst in the league.

OP
OP
Tokadub

Tokadub

Reaction score
Seahawk_Dan":3lwbrdz1 said:
Imagine if you will, you're Pete. You panicked last year and because of the lack of talent on your defense so you over spend to obtain a one trick pony safety for two 1sts and a 3rd.

Yeah I agree, I think that's the reason why they didn't play Ryan Neal.

I think they literally wanted to prove that our success vs the 49ers had nothing to do with Neal and they had figured it out without him...

Reality check... their pass defense really doesn't even exist with Jamal Adams + Jordyn Brooks on the field and Ryan Neal off of it.

I still don't understand how we gave up two first round picks for a safety who can't cover. It's hard to imagine any safety being worth 2 1st round picks maybe a young Earl Thomas... that's the only one I can think of.

EDIT: I JUST REALIZED AFTER WRITING THIS THEY MUST OF THOUGHT JAMAL ADAMS WAS LIKE EARL THOMAS, HE WOULD JUST AUTOMATICALLY SOLVE ANY PROBLEMS OR HOLES IN OUR DEFENSE... THAT'S SAD THEY WERE SO WRONG. I haven't watched a lot Jamal's film when he was with the Jets so I can't judge their decision... but that must of been their thought process.

I can say I never thought Jamal was as good as Earl Thomas on the film I did see.

Did they really think Jamal Adams could come in here and dominate? All he does is give up huge plays that lose us games for the most part.

I made a post earlier that the Jamal Adams trade was the end of this era... but the team is still showing some life so I don't want to submit and accept my own prediction... but it sure looks that way right now.

OP
OP
Tokadub

Tokadub

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":1k92bidu said:

It's very hard to substitute against the Rams, and Neal getting significant playing time means playing him in base and lightening up the box. Not something you really want to do against the Rams.

Of course, they got lit up anyway, and I'm not saying Neal wouldn't have been a net positive. With this defense though, it's gonna be damned if they do, damned if they don't. Let's be real.

Neal was great in run defense vs the 49ers, so I don't entirely agree but I understand your point.

OP
OP
Tokadub

Tokadub

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":2tivgenb said:

Neal was great in run defense vs the 49ers, so I don't entirely agree but I understand your point.

I think Neal looked like the best defender we had vs the 49ers, so at this point I agree we look so bad we should forget the X's and O's and any kind of coach/management failures... just put the best players on the field and just fight.

Reaction score
cymatica":kf0q74pf said:
It's especially maddening when Kupp and Woods always get open on the base defense and Pete actually said that Neal and the dime package was not in the game plan.

They could easily put Adams in Brooks' spot and bring Neal in. They are last against the run so it's not like it would make them worse.

It's not just that Kupp and Woods were open all game, seemed like it was almost always on crossing routes. You can pretty much run the same plays on the defense again and again and they just won't figure it out.

keasley45

Reaction score
Seahawk_Dan":3681smxx said:
cymatica":3681smxx said:
Seahawk_Dan":3681smxx said:

Exactly. Now you're thinking like a Pete! Now go! Write "Win Forever 2"!

Well, what a smart leader would do is try to get that superstar safety up to speed so that IT'S NOT a regrettable mistake. The dude is a talented football player and I'm sure CAN get the system if he's put in the position and given time.

I mean on the flipside, if Geno shows a better proficiency at maintaining drives, sustaining time of possession and not giving you flash plays but good consistent play, and Russ is available, Russ will play. And if Russ falters and doesn't seem as capable of doing what Geno might show and Pete is asked why Geno isn't getting another shot, I'm sure Pete would say that Geno isn't the answer to the problem.

Adams is being given the opportunity to 'get it', same way Russ is / would. Because they are both franchise players.

Doesn't mean they can't find ways other than benching Adam's because 'he sucks', to get Neal on the field.

keasley45

Reaction score
And the line didn't play better, the qb just did what he was supposed to do within the system. There's so much that fans don't get about protection. It was probably a combination of Geno hitting his spot when he dropped back and being where the line was set to provide protection, him getting the ball out, and him stepping up in the pocket instead of releasing backside under pressure. That first factor is huge. It's been said more than once that Russ frequently isn't where the protection is setup for him to be- whether it be because he has happy feet and doesn't trust the line or because he's trying to get better lines of sight. Doesnt matter. If the spot is 5 steps and a slide to the right, and russ drops deeper and adjusts left... and then releases backside, that will likely be where the DE has been pushed to. Geno looked good in the pocket.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Seahawk_Dan":ap398c0e said:

I think you could make the same argument for Bradley McDougald, who was actually part of the trade for Adams, don't forget, albeit an afterthought.

Jville

Reaction score
Camera angles can be deceptive and trigger false narratives ..... I'll just leave it at that.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
What would help is to get rid of Andre Curtis as the defensive passing game coordinator. The dude is a horrible coach and it shows. They weren't good last season and they are worse this season. It's not just Jamal Adams. It's the whole pass defense. When you have Jordan Brooks covering Robert Woods because the CB/DBs can't then you have a major problem. DB coach/defensive passing game coordinator should at least be able to teach the fundamentals of coverage. Doesn't seem to be doing that based on my observation.

HawkinNY

Reaction score
Tokadub":39n7i63u said:

We have 1 Wilson overthrow for Tyler Lockett (ball skimmed off his outstretched diving fingers)... if Wilson puts that ball on the money that's probably a Touch Down. Wilson also had a few other bad throws like the first Lockett Interception he placed it in a real bad place... if he puts that out in front of Lockett that should of been fine I think.

Then we pass on the 47 yard Field Goal vs the Rams??? Knowing how our games vs the Rams go I would take 3 points in a heart beat. Maybe Pete knows something we don't know? Jason Meyers had an uncharacteristically bad game.

If Wilson hits Tyler Lockett for that touchdown throw and we go for the 47 yard Field Goal and Jason Meyers hits it... we very well could of won this game...

That's what hurts about this game, I was expecting the Rams to be on a different level, like we would have no chance to win...

But we had a chance to win, with all of the Rams mistakes like throwing a lazy interception, 2 kickoffs going out off bounds...

The Rams played like $&*% and we didn't lose because they are better, we lost because we were out coached.

We had a super easy opportunity to steal a game against the better team but our coaches are more concerned with their own egos and looking good with their draft picks and trades... they gave the Rams a free win from pure hubris.

When Pete Carroll said in the post game interview paraphrasing him "No, Ryan Neal wouldn't make a difference."

It's like they are so egotistical they are sticking with Jamal Adams and Jordyn Brooks even if they can't cover AT ALL... like NOT EVEN CLOSE...

How did we get to the point our coaches won't implement the personell and scheme to win, they just want to use the guys they invested in even if they suck???

I was watching this game very confused why Ryan Neal wasn't on the field. By some miracle we shut them down in the first half, like I said the Rams had a bad game (maybe because it was Thursday Night?).

I was OK with us not having any adjustments that seem OBVIOUSLY way better up until the first Rams Touchdown. At that point I was like OK surely they'll start making some coaching adjustments. We should see some more unique packages instead of the same thing every team ALREADY destroyed this season...

BUT NO OUR COACHES DIED ON THEIR SWORD. THEY SAID "WE AREN'T GOING TO USE OUR BRAINS!"

They said "WE DON'T CARE IF WE WIN WE HAVE TO PROVE JAMAL ADAMS AND JORDYN BROOKS AREN'T BUSTS"...

We probably could of won this game with just 2 different play outcomes that I mentioned at the start of this post... but our coaches are deliberately playing to lose because they want to be right about their personell decisions even though WE ARE THE WORST DEFENSE IN THE F&*(%& LEAGUE!?

Side Notes:

- Ryan Neal in his last 5 games that he had any significant playing time has 6 passes defended and 2 interceptions. That's literally on pace to be the best safety in the league in passes defended but Pete says "Ryan Neal wouldn't make a difference?"... this is the first time I question if Pete should be the coach after that quote, that's so stupid I can't even put into words...

- Why did the Offensive Line seem to play so much better when Russell went out? Are they still mad about that?

- Geno Smith looked surprisingly good, better than Russell this game... that blows my mind a little bit.

- Jamal Adams SUCKS, he shouldn't be playing so many snaps but our coaches are egotistical idiots and want to force something that will end our season.
They have to play Adam’s all game. It’s about how much they are paying him. They would keep him in even if he is god awful which he’s close to being. Make him a LB then put in Neal or anyone else at safety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John63

Reaction score
Tokadub":t2vp1hiy said:

Side Notes:

Okay a few things.

First the over throw yo Lockett by Wilson, he got hit as he through it.

The int, could have been a better through. Could have been a better attempt by Lockett.

The oline, its easy to look better when you go from bring rushed by 6 to only 3 or 4. It has nothing to do with anything other than the rams with a 2 score lead and a backup qb in taking their foot off the gas some.

As to geno playing better u might want to look at the stars u find he did not.

Also remember a td called back due to a questionable holding call and a missed fg.