pete plans on keeping ET on punt return

Tokadub

Reaction score
I'm not ready to give up on ET returning punts after just one game. He was just trying to be a hero, hopefully he learned his lesson that it's not acceptable to try to force the plays, fair catch is totally fine especially given the situations of that game. If we are tied or leading you should never try to force the plays like that.

And if we have a big lead I'd say put someone else out there, I'm fine with ET on punt returns if he learns he doesn't have to be the hero and if we give someone else some reps when we got the game on lock down.

chris98251

Reaction score
Cartire":2v9o3o8w said:
All these couch coaches that know more then Carroll. And somehow knew ET was going to fumble.

Seriously, get off your couches and go tell PC and Paul Allen you got this. You are wasting your gifts here on .net.

I see it as a valid concern, this whole forum is about discussing decisions made by players and the staff. Using the logic in the post I assume nobody should have questioned Ruskell or Mora either about what they did?

Cartire

Reaction score
chris98251":3ib4me0a said:
Cartire":3ib4me0a said:
All these couch coaches that know more then Carroll. And somehow knew ET was going to fumble.

Seriously, get off your couches and go tell PC and Paul Allen you got this. You are wasting your gifts here on .net.

I see it as a valid concern, this whole forum is about discussing decisions made by players and the staff. Using the logic in the post I assume nobody should have questioned Ruskell or Mora either about what they did?

Fair enough.

I'm more commenting on the over-reactions. Which if you read the threads right after ET had his good return in the preseason. Majority of people are happy with ET doing it. ET makes a stupid mistake. Majority of people don't want him returning.

Just to much over-reaction.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I don't know about that. I have been against ET returning punts all along. I just don't see the upside to it at all. He does not look god fielding punts at all and no matter what anyone says it is an injury risk for him. Not to mention Walters looked more than capable returning punts.

HawkWow

Reaction score
^ No sarcasm intended, Tokadub, but I think we'd be asking him change his entire persona. Earl is an elite athlete largely because of his competitive fire. Arguably the most intense player in the league. I don't know how he could turn that off..or if I'd want him to. Christ..it's a punt return for one of the most explosive offenses in the game. Forego the hopes of a big play and let someone sure handed (Doug) catch the ball. If there's an obvious opening.., run..if not, fair catch and give the ball to RW, Harvin and Lynch.

I'd love to see the net results between all returned punts and fair catches after penalties are factored in. I bet we'd be surprised especially when turnovers are factored in. And you can't put a value on injuries. The return man is not the only player at risk.

Am I smarter than Pete? That's a rather dumb question. But if we lose the heart of our defense, Pete will leave me (and others) looking like genius'. What if we added yet another turnover, or Rodgers caught fire, and we found ourselves down by 14. That changes our entire philosophy on offense and gives the opposing D much less to think about. Watching Earl's every return, I don't care if he returns 50% of his future touches for TDs. He's not Deion and he's not a natural receiver.

Sure don't mean to knock Earl (the FS) with this post, but it would be interesting to know how many relatively easy INTs he's dropped while a Seahawk. His hands are not as good as some seem to believe. His killer instinct has him running before he makes the catch. And we are now seeing that very same thing in him as a return man. IMO.

Cartire

Reaction score
Natethegreat":2yqond2f said:
I don't know about that. I have been against ET returning punts all along. I just don't see the upside to it at all. He does not look god fielding punts at all and no matter what anyone says it is an injury risk for him. Not to mention Walters looked more than capable returning punts.

He has just as much chance at injury when he's playing safety. He already plays a gunner on half the return packages. And has for a long time. 4 extra plays does not raise the threshold noticeably at all. And like Pete says, you play the best man. Pete's seen far more film on Thomas during practice then we have by a large margin. If ET really is the most dynamic at the position, he would be the guy to see it.

I'm prepared to give this experiment a second before losing my mind. Pete has earned my confidence, I'm gonna let it play out for a bit.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
If ET gets injured running punts back this place is going to come unglued and PC is going to take his share of abuse.

I don't like it. Even if he runs a couple back for TDs, I still won't like the move because he's an All-Pro, the best safety in football...If he gets hurt returning punts, it's just not worth the occasional TD or good yardage setups, IMO. And yes, I get that he could get injured in his normal duties, but I can accept that a hell of a lot more than if it's on punt return duties.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Again most of my opinion is based on the fact that ET simply does not have good hands. Just like was pointed out earlier plus he looks unnatural fielding the punts to begin with.
Add in the fact he could get himself annihilated one of these times and I just don't see the upside to all of this. Walters did a really good job when given the chance. He might not have quite the speed Earl has but he has a way better feel for it and I would bet the net worth of punts would most likely be a wash with a whole lot less of a chance of a fumble.

chet380

Reaction score
Kenny Easley's career was shortened partly as a result of the injuries he received returning punts - why take that chance with ET?

warden

Reaction score
chet380":1shdjmzw said:
Kenny Easley's career was shortened partly as a result of the injuries he received returning punts - why take that chance with ET?

Wrong, Kenny Easley's career was shortened due to a kidney problem caused by the Seahawk Doctors misuse of prescription medicine given too him.

SirTed

Reaction score
Here's my POV, similar to what others have posted.

I could make peace with it, if Earl was an otherworldly punt returner, similar to Percy in the kick return game. It's dangerous to subject Percy to kickoffs, but because he's one of the best to ever return kicks, it's worth the risk.

I don't feel that way about Earl at all. I know he had that one return, but it looked like a broken down coverage more than a great play by Earl. Besides, with our offense in its current state we simply don't need the big play out of the punt return game. Last year or the year before, maybe. But not now.

I didn't LOVE the way Walters looked either, but he doesn't look COMPLETELY out of his element out there like Earl does.

This is dumb. I hope Pete comes to his senses soon.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I hope we go into overtime in San Francisco on Thanksgiving evening and we stop the 49ers, and they punt to Earl who takes it to the house for the win in overtime just to shut some whiny mouths up around here.

Assuming Earl learns when to call for a fair catch pretty soon, that is.

chris98251

Reaction score
warden":3zyg2nk8 said:
chet380":3zyg2nk8 said:

Wrong, Kenny Easley's career was shortened due to a kidney problem caused by the Seahawk Doctors misuse of prescription medicine given too him.

It was the pain medicine that did in his kidneys from injuries, I distinctly remember him getting whacked on Punt returns, I guess those hits didn't need medicine just the ones on defense. Remember in those days there was not a halo around the ball carrier to catch it.

iigakusei

Reaction score
I am sorry...but he just isn't very good at it. 3 punt returns....3 bad decisions.

razgriz737

Reaction score
SirTed":2fmisphl said:
Here's my POV, similar to what others have posted.

I could make peace with it, if Earl was an otherworldly punt returner, similar to Percy in the kick return game. It's dangerous to subject Percy to kickoffs, but because he's one of the best to ever return kicks, it's worth the risk.

I don't feel that way about Earl at all. I know he had that one return, but it looked like a broken down coverage more than a great play by Earl. Besides, with our offense in its current state we simply don't need the big play out of the punt return game. Last year or the year before, maybe. But not now.

I didn't LOVE the way Walters looked either, but he doesn't look COMPLETELY out of his element out there like Earl does.

This is dumb. I hope Pete comes to his senses soon.
I think I'm in the same boat as well. Earl had a good return in preseason but otherwise has just looked awkward back there. People are mostly talking about the fumbled punt against GB, but I was cringing during his first return in the game too. If he was absolutely incredible at returning punts that would be one thing, but I just don't feel like the risk is worth the reward here. :229031_shrug:

TwilightError

Reaction score
Lockette, Michael or Walters all the way. I think pete is being too cute here. Yes that 'against the conventional wisdom' has dome marvels for him but this just is a bad idea. Even if Earl takes one home next game.

Uffda

Reaction score
Sure , let him be the returner next game.

But if he keeps making bad decisions like the first two times last game.

Then Pull him , is not a rookie he isn't invulnerable, he knows better and now he knows he has limitations .

If a rookie returner made the decisions he made , would be benched or cut., if they were only the returner.

He should be made to practice the fair catch sign ... ALL WEEK .

Was I know he was a returner on Texas, this isn't Texas or college football.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Uffda":3m8yoiwl said:
Sure , let him be the returner next game.

But if he keeps making bad decisions like the first two times last game.

Then Pull him , is not a rookie he isn't invulnerable, he knows better and now he knows he has limitations .

If a rookie returner made the decisions he made , would be benched or cut., if they were only the returner.

He should be made to practice the fair catch sign ... ALL WEEK .

Was I know he was a returner on Texas, this isn't Texas or college football.
No crap...if anybody keeps making bad decisions they're definitely getting pulled

Jacknut16

Reaction score
Seahaaaawks":16aahaak said:
It doesn't make sense to me, but I'm just a fan. I'd like to see Richardson get a shot. He's quick and he is the guy replacing Tate. He looked explosive in the Colorado highlights I watched, seems like a stud.

^THIS^