Pete Carroll on Moving the Chains (SiriusNFL) with Recap

AgentDib

Reaction score
Hosts: Pat Kirwan (PK), Jim Miller (JM)
Guest: Pete Carroll (PC)

Opens with BeastMode run clip courtesy of Seattle Seahawks Radio Network and introduction of PC.

PC: We're very excited, waiting a week has served them well because now they are looking forward to getting back to football, they have been getting antsy.

PK: Percy Harvin?

PC: Percy is practicing today and had a great day yesterday. He is extremely fast, looks good at it, and is working hard. His background with Bevell is carrying over, and I am rooting for him that he will get a chance to play.

JM: Familiarity with Saints? Will it be different?

PC: They are playing good football, I have great respect for them. This is this week, the rest is no different. They looked very good against Philadelphia and surprised people by how easily they handled their offense. They have focused on the running game more and we expect to see more of that.

PK: I was looking at multiple Rob Ryan games including yours. Less blitzing lately? A whole different style?

PC: They will still pressure about 30% of the time, they are an aggressive group. It takes a lot of work to get that done and they are playing good football. They are tough to run the ball against.

JM: You guys did a great job covering Jimmy Graham, why so effective?

PC: He was close on a number of balls we made plays on, and they were just an eyelash away from anotehr 100 yards. We have a lot of respect for what they do with him, he is a WR at times and a TE at atimes. They throw whether he is open or not, we are going to try to figure out a way to slow him down again.

PK: Russell had a tremendous game, it doesn't mean it will happen again, but when I watch your offense I see the problems defenses have because of your running game to the left. I can only imagine that Russell is trying to stay there all night with two weeks to prepare.

PC: We have had two very good weeks, very good practice, Russell leading the charge in terms of participation. KJ Wright was really fast and clean in practice. We are playing with a new toy with Percy out there causing some problems. The weather may be the most important factor in the game.

PK: How do you practice fast and still coach on the field at the same time? Are the coaches talking in class room after practice?

PC: That's a good point. We have very disciplined structure to our practice, everybody knows where they are going. That maximizes downtimes, i hate watching practices where guys are standing around. We practice at a game speed tempo and they are like normal plays to keep focus on and keep people tuned it. That is worth what we have to give up to get it. Our guys go right off practice field into the film of the practice after they change their shirts. It's a little harder for young players but it has benefits. It's really part of getting their minds right and getting them used to the level they have to perform at.

JM: We asked John Fox and Ron Rivera about officials last week. Let the players decide it on the field - half as many penalties last week as the rest of the season. The same thing happened last season, they weren't throwing flags like crazy.

PC: We are going to keep playing as hard as we can and not adjust to the officials. We have had our share of penalties and if they knock them in half we will take that. It is a time when the officials don't want to be the focal point and so they will let them be settled on the field. We are not going to change, we are going to play as hard and tough and physical as we can and see what happens.

PK: You gave your offensive tackles no rest the last two games, have the weeks off helped?

PC: Okung was out rehabbing last week and he looked great yesterday. We still had to practice hard but we took the time to get guys off the field and make sure they were ready to go this week.

JM: Thoughts on rookie LT for the Saints? He has played well.

PC: His first game he had a tough go but he has been fine. He is a monster of a guy with great quickness and doesn't look to be a guy you can take advantage of. He is about as good of an athlete as you can get, we are not going to focus our attention on that spot.

PK: It says 45 and raining at your place, but you could say that every day in seattle.

PC: They say a 100% chance of rain, so why even say it?

PK: Do you turn the sprinklers on at practice?

PC: When it's 100% that means there is no chance. We are going to be wet and hose everybody down before they go out there, we don't have the advantage that is raining right now.

JM: Bull Durham: There are no rainouts! Thanks for your time.

PC: Take care.

-------------------
Post interview comments
--------------------

PK: This will be a much tougher game this time around, but the bye will help the Seahawks.
JM: Practice is very impressive with tempo and enthusiasm. They are fighting every single play (out there giving greatest effort).
PK: Here's the trick to it. The hard part is when he gives them a 3 minute break called the tv timeout, can you go full speed on the very first play after that? Sometimes you lose momentum, i call it attitude. Every time they take those breaks, sometimes a full 15 minutes right in the middle of practice, but then start the whistle to start the "second half". In the 3rd quarter for the whole year they have given up only 41 points, what does that tell you?
JM: Every single snap matters to that team. I call it the Lull period, but he practices through it. After the bye week is when the Seahawks crushed the Saints before, now they have them again.
PK: Let's start with Seattle- which teams of the 8 remaining could win the game remaining with their defense?
JM: Seattle, and you know I am rolling with Carolina but I won't say that about San Francisco.
PK: None of the AFC defenses could do it on their own.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Thanks for the synopsis. I don't have Sirius radio, so it's nice to have someone update for those of us who can't listen. Seems like he's being consistent on what he has to say this week. Not sure if that means that he's well rehearsed or he actually means it all....with Pete, I'd say he probably means it mostly

bemads

Reaction score
"We are playing with a new toy with Percy out there causing some problems."

You already know he's about to take off

Seaswab

Reaction score
Interesting what he said about KJ wright. It almost sounded as if hes playing

travlinhawk

Reaction score
Seaswab":720lu3jk said:
Yes very odd, does he have a chance now?

kidhawk

Reaction score
travlinhawk":228wwzae said:
Seaswab":228wwzae said:
Yes very odd, does he have a chance now?

Nope not even a slim one. Pete has said that he is declared OUT for this weeks game. He did say on Monday that Wright would be running on the side this week and that he's made tremendous progress. They hope he'll be ready by next week and I wouldn't be surprised if he played in the NFCCG

oasis

Reaction score
Did they really hose the players down? With this regime, you never know.