Percy Worry

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
bigDhawk":326ggu57 said:
BamKam":326ggu57 said:
We are paying him A LOT of money to play a good amount of snaps. He is one of the biggest weapons in the NFL, he needs to play a lot of snaps.

Remember before the season started he also said that this is the healthiest he has felt since HIGH SCHOOL. The last 2 seasons have been tough for him but before that he was pretty durable. Going into games he was questionable a lot because of migranes but he usually played.

The only thing that concerned me about Harvin's performance last night was the rift in the space-time continuum his warp speed created, thereby causing an entanglement paradox resulting in him frequently stumbling forward as his upper body occupied a quantum locus in the Higgs field a fraction of a second ahead of his feet. A change in cleets will likely restore balance to the universe, thereby allowing him to house all those stumbling plays that otherwise went for only 10 to 20 yard chunks, and saving us all from being sucked into cosmos-annihilating vortex.
You sir are ALMOST as large of a nerd as myself. Very impressive.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":z2swp8hq said:
drcool":z2swp8hq said:
My guess is they feed him the ball a lot these first two games to scare the crap out of opposing D-coordinators and then start using him as a decoy more and more. Give him 10-12 touches a game and spread the others out to Kearse, Baldwin, Miller, Willson, etc.
I think the approach is two-pronged. Changing up how we use him definitely makes sense. Go ahead and concentrate on Percy. We will gash them with Lynch or get major chunks through air with Kearse and Baldwim.
That said, Pete eluded to all of the plays they still have in store that involve Percy. No better way to fully implement them than during actual games at maybe 2-3 'new' plays per game. By the time that levels off, opposing DCs should be absolutely obsessed with Percy and the slaughter will be on.

I see this as being what's going to happen, gives the DCs nightmares thinking about it. Let them focus on stopping Percy and Lynch and Wilson will start throwing it to any open TEs or WRs. I'm thinking in the San Diego game, Baldwin or Kearse will be able to get most of the touches.

idahohawk

Reaction score
seahawksny":sejhrn03 said:
I felt he was used too much in this game.

Worked like a charm, and he is lethal, so why not. However, part of me thinks he will not last 16 games if they use him for as many plays as they did last night

Cowboy up buttercup.

lsheldon

Reaction score
HawkGA":nn0giw88 said:
Even without Percy this team is pretty good. But what good is having him if you don't use him?

Honestly though, I wouldn't mind if the team shelved him for the next 10 weeks or so to keep him "fresh". What I'm excited to see is how he changes the dynamics of the games with the 49ers. I'm expecting that to be just a whole lot of fun.

You want to shelve a guy being paid 11 Million dollars this year for 10 games? He was shelved the majority of last year. He's being paid a ton of money to play ball. Everyone who goes out on the field is taking a risk for injury. I think were overly sensitive to the fact that he was injured, but he's healthy now and our offense wouldn't be as explosive without him. I hope they keep using him exactly like they did against the Packers.

chris98251

Reaction score
lsheldon":3lp8p642 said:
HawkGA":3lp8p642 said:
Even without Percy this team is pretty good. But what good is having him if you don't use him?

Honestly though, I wouldn't mind if the team shelved him for the next 10 weeks or so to keep him "fresh". What I'm excited to see is how he changes the dynamics of the games with the 49ers. I'm expecting that to be just a whole lot of fun.

You want to shelve a guy being paid 11 Million dollars this year for 10 games? He was shelved the majority of last year. He's being paid a ton of money to play ball. Everyone who goes out on the field is taking a risk for injury. I think were overly sensitive to the fact that he was injured, but he's healthy now and our offense wouldn't be as explosive without him. I hope they keep using him exactly like they did against the Packers.

They won't have to, now that he has burned two teams badly DC's are going to start trying to cheat up on him to contain him somehow, it's how Rice was able to put up great numbers also. The ball is going to start finding open guys and Lynch is going to get many more big runs.

keith da hawk

Reaction score
I think you're worrying about it too much. Before the 2013 season Percy had only missed 3-4 games in his whole career. He was out a long time last year because he had a corrective surgery, not because he was injured. When people talk about how injury prone he is I can't help but laugh, because that's not really the case. It's a common misconception that is easily discredited once you actually look into it.

Meat

Reaction score
Why do you suppose Percy was stumbling so much Thursday? A different type of turf? His shoes? Anyone? :D

Cartire

Reaction score
Meat":2b1s8b49 said:
Why do you suppose Percy was stumbling so much Thursday? A different type of turf? His shoes? Anyone? :D

Just over excited. Him and Michaels have the same issues. They can turn so quickly, that sometimes physics is their biggest hindrance. Youll notice Michaels slips a lot. Part of this is him turning so fast that its hard to counter the momentum hes already built up. Percy has this issue as well sometimes.

However, when the foot sticks tight, they make spectacular runs because of it. Its a give take.

capncrunch

Reaction score
I agree with most here. Keep feeding him. I can't wait to see what else they will do with him. Line up as a running back an have him catch a screen pass, simply running straight down the field for a deep ball, have him make a pass downfield on a jet sweep. I think we'll see a lot of those plays like the one where he got open across the middle of the field and got a big gain. Man did he blow past the guy tring to cover him. Wow.

Cartire

Reaction score
capncrunch":1iq9cgb8 said:
I agree with most here. Keep feeding him. I can't wait to see what else they will do with him. Line up as a running back an have him catch a screen pass, simply running straight down the field for a deep ball, have him make a pass downfield on a jet sweep. I think we'll see a lot of those plays like the one where he got open across the middle of the field and got a big gain. Man did he blow past the guy tring to cover him. Wow.

If this has the full endorsement of TacoCorp, then you got my vote.

warden

Reaction score
It is obvious what the Seahawks are doing, they are sending out so much film to have opposing defenses concentrate so much on Lynch and Harvin and as soon as defenses do that they will be sending the ball to Baldwin and Kearse, and the defense is going to chit because they forgot about those guys.

Cartire

Reaction score
warden":2rfvspqr said:
It is obvious what the Seahawks are doing, they are sending out so much film to have opposing defenses concentrate so much on Lynch and Harvin and as soon as defenses do that they will be sending the ball to Tate and Kearse, and the defense is going to chit because they forgot about those guys.

Russells deep ball is amazing, but if he can hit Tate all the way in Detroit, he better be first ballot HOF.

warden

Reaction score
Cartire":1lwvust2 said:
warden":1lwvust2 said:
It is obvious what the Seahawks are doing, they are sending out so much film to have opposing defenses concentrate so much on Lynch and Harvin and as soon as defenses do that they will be sending the ball to Tate and Kearse, and the defense is going to chit because they forgot about those guys.

Russells deep ball is amazing, but if he can hit Tate all the way in Detroit, he better be first ballot HOF.

My bad, meant Baldwin, thanks i fixed my error

hawk45

Reaction score
My position: sure I worry about damage to Percy, he's the magic easy button for our offense and the difference between steamrolling teams this year and much, much closer games.

I dislike the argument that playing not to get hurt is a good way to get hurt. That's something I hear often repeated, but it's incomplete to me. The big reason our star, mobile QB is on the field all season vs. Vick or RGIII is, he will give up a couple of yards and slide.

But I do think that has to be in a player's DNA. Russ is a cerebral, strategic thinker, which what you want your QB to be. Running backs, receivers, etc. don't generally play that way. And when they do (Shaun Alexander) it's freaking annoying. If there was a way for Percy to slide at the end of every play dude I would be all for that. But there isn't. He'd be out of his comfort zone and awkward doing it, and so in that specific case, yeah, just have to accept his mini-beast-mode tendencies.

Feel the same way about us involving him heavily in our offense. There might be a way to use him as mainly a decoy, but an OC can't call a game like that and Percy would be frustrated.

I'll continue to worry every time Percy encounters heavy contact, but as others have said, you don't pay a guy that money to not use him, so I will just enjoy the thrill of watching him play, and having my heart in my throat about him getting hurt is part of it. It's disingenuous to pretend the worry isn't there, but if you can't avoid it, what the hey.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
"If you've got a good horse, you've got to ride him"

Wasn't that Tom Landry?
I'll ask Hank Hill and find out.

sutz

Reaction score
Well, to me, the coaches seem to have long term strategies. Using Percy this heavily in the early games makes him a huge decoy presence moving forward. It's kind of like with Marshawn and the running game. When he has a good/great game running, the play action doesn't just get more effective that day, it projects for several games. I've heard that teams typically view film for the prior 4-5 games for an upcoming opponent. It stands to reason they can't watch a whole season of film in the couple of days they get to prepare between games.

So, basically, we've got our next 4-5 opponents scrambling to find an answer to Percy and the sweep play, which could leave a bit of leeway for ADB and Jevon (on edit: :oops: Jermaine, as in Kearse :)) to get open deep. I kind of expect a heavy dose of Percy for the next couple of weeks, and then a shift to other targets as we move forward. After all, one answer to that sweep play would be to bring your CBs up close to the line to clog those lanes, which could open up zones over the top to the rest of the guys. Few teams have CBs as good as ours at jamming at the line, and if they're looking into the backfield for Percy, it'll be easier to get by them.

Nothing works forever in the NFL. I'm starting to think that our basic strategy for the season will evolve as we move forward, emphasizing different targets as the year goes by. Sure, we had a great start but it's not a sprint, it's a marathon. It's nice to think we have so many ways to beat teams. We can win the close defensive struggles, but our O can keep up with just about anybody in the league on its own.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
sutz":3j4y4h2s said:
Well, to me, the coaches seem to have long term strategies. Using Percy this heavily in the early games makes him a huge decoy presence moving forward. It's kind of like with Marshawn and the running game. When he has a good/great game running, the play action doesn't just get more effective that day, it projects for several games. I've heard that teams typically view film for the prior 4-5 games for an upcoming opponent. It stands to reason they can't watch a whole season of film in the couple of days they get to prepare between games.

So, basically, we've got our next 4-5 opponents scrambling to find an answer to Percy and the sweep play, which could leave a bit of leeway for ADB and Jevon to get open deep. I kind of expect a heavy dose of Percy for the next couple of weeks, and then a shift to other targets as we move forward. After all, one answer to that sweep play would be to bring your CBs up close to the line to clog those lanes, which could open up zones over the top to the rest of the guys. Few teams have CBs as good as ours at jamming at the line, and if they're looking into the backfield for Percy, it'll be easier to get by them.

Nothing works forever in the NFL. I'm starting to think that our basic strategy for the season will evolve as we move forward, emphasizing different targets as the year goes by. Sure, we had a great start but it's not a sprint, it's a marathon. It's nice to think we have so many ways to beat teams. We can win the close defensive struggles, but our O can keep up with just about anybody in the league on its own.

Absolutely.

Who in the hell is Jevon?