Per ESPN/Schefter, Hawks trade for OT Duane Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.

kidhawk

Reaction score
mikeak":kvhuboqr said:
On the radio this morning (Mike &a Mike) they interviewed someone (sorry missed the first part so not sure who). He stated hat someone for Houston was sitting out because of the owners political views

Do we know if Brown sat out just to get more money?

First of all, I'm saying this with the best intentions, but we aren't talking about protest topics (or anything political) anywhere on the main forum, so let's not go there.

Now back to just posting my thoughts and answering questions.....Brown sat out in a contract dispute, it's well documented. He said he would only come back in time to insure this year counted as a year against his contract.

Fade

Reaction score
renofox":1uw8cai6 said:
Fade":1uw8cai6 said:
kidhawk":1uw8cai6 said:
I guess I still need to reiterate that trading Lane DOES NOT free up any cap space this year.
Not correct according to the salary cap calculator on overthecap.com

Seattle gains $1.5M in cap space by trading him. Go to 2017 -> Find Jeremy Lane and select trade transaction.

https://overthecap.com/calculator/seattle-seahawks/

I believe those calculations are dependent on being traded before season starts and player earns game checks:

(salary) 4,000,000 +
(this year's pro-rated signing bonus) 1,250,000 =
(this year's cap number) 5,250,000 -
(this year's dead money [from accelerated signing bonus] if traded) 3,750,000 =
(cap savings from trade before paying any salary) 1,500,000

Since we've already paid him games checks, his cap number for this year is now:

(payroll paid this year) 7/16 * 4,000,000 = 1,750,000 +
(this year's dead money [from accelerated signing bonus] if traded) 3,750,000 =
(this year's cap number after trade) 5,500,000

Now subtract

(this year's cap number before trade) 5,250,000

and we actually take a cap hit of 250,000 on this trade

That may be the case. It sounds like the Hawks are going to re-structure/extend/re-do Duane Brown anyway to lower his number for this season.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
joeseahawks":6naqafe1 said:
This is a great trade.
Does the price we pay matter if we win the SB this year? I mean ...
We have all we need for another SB run this year. We have the defense. And yesterday we proved that we have the QB and recovers for a SB run. Even our maligned running game could be great, with decent O-Line play.
I said it before and I'll repeat it: Pete is going for it in 2017. This is his last season... After we win the SB, Pete will retire.
Our team is not built for next year. It is built for 2017. We all need to forget about next season. It is all about 2017.
We got one of the best LT in the game. Watch him open holes for our RB. Watch him give RW time to throw deep for PRich and Graham.

Pete is signed through the 2019 season.

425HawkSpark

Reaction score
CallMeADawg":gg5yvh5n said:
joeseahawks":gg5yvh5n said:
This is a great trade.
We have all we need for another SB run this year. We have the defense. And yesterday we proved that we have the QB and recovers for a SB run. Even our maligned running game could be great, with decent O-Line play.
I said it before and I'll repeat it: Pete is going for it in 2017. This is his last season... After we win the SB, Pete will retire.
Our team is not built for next year. It is built for 2017. We all need to forget about next season. It is all about 2017.
We got one of the best LT in the game. Watch him open holes for our RB. Watch him give RW time to throw deep for PRich and Graham.

John gruden will inherit some contracts then. Haha

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Now it's Brown vs. Ifedi for #76. Brown wore #76 for the Texans. How much does he shell out to Ifedi for that number? or if they have a wrestling match for it...who wins? Ifedi likes to brawl...just ask Frank Clark.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
CallMeADawg":1w5ctx1c said:
joeseahawks":1w5ctx1c said:
This is a great trade.

I think Carroll coaches through the end of his contract. He loves this game too much not to, unless some unexpected health issue comes up, and he has so much more he can accomplish in the next 2+ years for his legacy.

Cc5674

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":2ue9kt37 said:
Seahawks are taking risks but at least they are trying... lot of wisdom coming in on both lines with Freeney and Brown.

It wouldn't have surprised me at all if part of the game plan was exposing the Texans secondary to make Lane seem like a necessity as well an audition for Brown playing in his first game of The season.

Yeah that was the plan All along. Pete told the O line to suck as usual so they could not run the ball so Russell throws for big yards and exposed Houston’s secondary. The other vital element was the LOB allowing 38 points to a rookie QB at home. That was quite a plan. I have read a few dumb posts in my days but this is one of the dumbest ever. Russell played his butt off and had to because the rookie on the other side was putting up big time numbers. Brown is an upgrade no doubt but not so sure giving Lane up was brilliant. Shaq got torched yesterday. The whole secondary of the Seahawks got torched at home yesterday. That’s not fantasy like your theory that’s a reality just watch the tape.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":2biq3fh8 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/925142174043340806[/tweet]
Seems like a lot. I hope Brown has a few good years left in his tank.

Funny, my first thought was that if we can actually keep Brown...it's pretty damn cheap.

Our FO doesn't hit well on 1st round OL picks, and given the state of college OL's, 1st round talent isn't a given anyways.

mikeak

Reaction score
kidhawk":35pbxag9 said:
mikeak":35pbxag9 said:
On the radio this morning (Mike &a Mike) they interviewed someone (sorry missed the first part so not sure who). He stated hat someone for Houston was sitting out because of the owners political views

Do we know if Brown sat out just to get more money?

First of all, I'm saying this with the best intentions, but we aren't talking about protest topics (or anything political) anywhere on the main forum, so let's not go there.

Now back to just posting my thoughts and answering questions.....Brown sat out in a contract dispute, it's well documented. He said he would only come back in time to insure this year counted as a year against his contract.

Not discussing the politics my only point is that a reworked contract is harder if money is the main goal of sitting out. If the reason is something different than money then that should simplify a new contract.

Regardless he would want this year to count

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/925161201331421184[/tweet]

Wow! :shock:

Hawks46

Reaction score
renofox":3izpsm3o said:
HawkFan72":3izpsm3o said:
Jazzhawk":3izpsm3o said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/925142174043340806[/tweet]

Don't like that 2019 2nd rounder, but hopefully he's worth it so that I won't care by then.

3× Pro Bowl (2012–2014)
First-team All-Pro (2012)
Second-team All-Pro (2011)

If he performs at the level he is capable of, and we get a decent new contract, this trade is a steal.

Even if he slightly underperforms, it's not that bad of a gamble.

You look at it like "what did I give up?" Which is a 2nd and 5th rounder. So, given the state of our OL the last 2 years, if you could draft a guy in the 2nd round and had to use a 5th to move up in the 2nd round to get him, but the guy was Guaranteed to be at least above average at LT, but never be truly terrible....would you do it ?

Almost anyone would with the state of our OL the last 2 years. Wilson doesn't need an elite LT, yet if Brown stays at his recent level that is just what we got.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
massari":3hbrtdx7 said:
Getting Brown without having to trade Graham to make cap room is amazing. And getting rid of Lane's salary somehow?

Now sign Byron Maxwell please.

Why would you resign Maxwell? We got Shead coming back shortly. There no need for him.

xStickybudz

Reaction score
Seymour":3de7yxuw said:
Sweet mother Mary. They pulled it off!! This is how you help the run game, and the offense!

dillydilly.jpg

Duane Brown you truly are a friend of the crown Dilly! Dilly!

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
hawknation2017":2hue1apz said:
Fade":2hue1apz said:
ringless":2hue1apz said:
9.7m cap hit next season at 33. That's pretty high risk move.

Continuing to play Odhiambo at LT and risking your franchise QBs career is an even riskier move. This had to be done.

The Seahawks couldn't continue to pay Russian Roulette with the franchise. Enough was enough.

$9.7M? Luke Joekel got $8M. That is cheap in the current market.

Well said, good Sir.

:irishdrinkers:

This

EDIT:

xStickybudz":2hue1apz said:
Duane Brown you truly are a friend of the crown Dilly! Dilly!

Someone needs to add this to a signature

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts