Per ESPN/Schefter, Hawks trade for OT Duane Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
ringless":22khwd34 said:
9.7m cap hit next season at 33. That's pretty high risk move IMO. But I'm guessing this move was more of a short term in mind type regardless. Not a lot of linemen perform well past 33-34 as with most positions.

I guess time will tell as always if it's a good trade or not. Definitely high risk (age, contract, draft picks) high reward (top 10 tackle)

Eh. I say ... given this team and the overall age and contract status of some of its key stars (i.e. Michael Bennett, Jimmy Graham, Sheldon Richardson, Richard Sherman, etc.) ... if you THINK you're honestly a player or 2 away from being a serious Super Bowl contender right now ... and you see an opportunity like this (in an area that's a HUGE GLARING weakness) ... IMO you go ALL IN and push your chips in towards the middle of the table. Focus on getting to and winning the Super Bowl in the here and now ... and worry more about next year and beyond at the end of this season.

Danny Darko

Reaction score
joeseahawks":3rewnp7n said:
I don't remember how many O-Line have come through Seattle in the past 2 years alone ...
Hopefully the O-Line carousel is over.

What is your ideal O-Line for the next game?
Brown ---- Pocic --- Britt --- Aboushi --- Ifedi

We need to make Ifedi a backup again... not sure who is equipped for RT but my excitement for Ifedi has turned into constant dread and frustration. I saw Britt give him an earful yesterday after one of his normal 3 penalties a game.

Through six games this season, Ifedi has been the target of nine penalty calls, which leads the league. Of those, seven have been accepted (1.17 per game), and on average have cost the Seahawks 7.83 yards per game. For reference, Ifedi had six false start penalties all of 2016, while in 2017 he already has four. Worst of all, of his nine called penalties, five have happened on third down, though two of them were declined with one of them declined due to turnover. This means Ifedi is highly responsible for killing at least three drives, with a overall negative impact of 47 yards over five games.
Ifedi leads league in penalties

hawknation2017

Reaction score
With the annual increases in the salary cap, $9.75 million for a Top 10 tackle isn't that much comparatively.

Current 2018 cap hits for OTs:
F2OEBAr d

Edit: Brown's cap hit next year is $5.25 million less than Russell Okung, lol.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Danny Darko":60okw4o2 said:
joeseahawks":60okw4o2 said:
I don't remember how many O-Line have come through Seattle in the past 2 years alone ...

We need to make Ifedi a backup again... not sure who is equipped for RT but my excitement for Ifedi has turned into constant dread and frustration. I saw Britt give him an earful yesterday after one of his normal 3 penalties a game.

Through six games this season, Ifedi has been the target of nine penalty calls, which leads the league. Of those, seven have been accepted (1.17 per game), and on average have cost the Seahawks 7.83 yards per game. For reference, Ifedi had six false start penalties all of 2016, while in 2017 he already has four. Worst of all, of his nine called penalties, five have happened on third down, though two of them were declined with one of them declined due to turnover. This means Ifedi is highly responsible for killing at least three drives, with a overall negative impact of 47 yards over five games.

Do you remember how bad Justin Britt looked in his 2nd year?

BC-Hawk

Reaction score
Holy crap this is awesome!!! Was at work all day and come home to find this! Who said Mondays suck?! Thank you JS!

Seymour

Reaction score
Pocic playing right next to Brown is going to benefit from this trade as well. Having to play next to Rees who is still getting owned all to regularly was not the best position to put him in. :2thumbs:

Tinymac2

Reaction score
So pissed. You bring in a 23 year old LT and take care of the issue for a decade. DB gives us 2-3 years. What a long term waste.

Danny Darko

Reaction score
hawknation2017":31s8ijef said:
Danny Darko":31s8ijef said:
joeseahawks":31s8ijef said:

Do you remember how bad Justin Britt looked in his 2nd year?

true... and i remember our success in the Breno years, too

Seymour

Reaction score
Tinymac2":3cm2yr3d said:
So pissed. You bring in a 23 year LT and take care of the issue for a decade. DB gives us 2-3 years. What a long term waste.

Where is this 23 yr old LT that starts next Sunday?

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Tinymac2":9jvpwffh said:
So pissed. You bring in a 23 year LT and take care of the issue for a decade. DB gives us 2-3 years. What a long term waste.

Bahahahahahahahahahaha.

Do you have a franchise LT fabricating machine that I don't know about?

One more thing: Bahahahahahaha. Ha!

Seymour":9jvpwffh said:
Pocic playing right next to Brown is going to benefit from this trade as well. Having to play next to Rees who is still getting owned all to regularly was not the best position to put him in. :2thumbs:

True, good point. I think this will make everyone better. 8)

nanomoz

Reaction score
Seymour":3ren152s said:
Tinymac2":3ren152s said:

Maybe they can make one in a lab. Like in Weird Science or like the Monster in Frankenstein.

kidhawk

Reaction score
sutz":2ivtght4 said:
kidhawk":2ivtght4 said:
LolaRox":2ivtght4 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/925142174043340806[/tweet]

That seems like what the Texans wanted. I know they were looking for a 2nd rounder in 2018 but we didn't have one, and I doubt we'd have given a 1st, so give them the 2nd in 2019 and the 5th next year to make up for the extra year wait.

I'm just curious how they make it fit under the cap. I really hope they worked out an extension for him
Well, they must have figured it out or the league wouldn't have approved the deal. :mrgreen:

As of that post word was a deal was reached between teams but hadn't been finalized leading me to assume they were working on cap implications.

Thunderkyss

Reaction score
Congrats guys, you've got a great player. He's been one of my favorite Texans for a long time. He's a warrior. He gives you 100% on the field & has been great in the community.

I knew he was going to be traded when he called our owner's comments ignorant over the weekend. I didn't want to admit it, but it seemed like he didn't really want to be here.

We need a LT, bad... We traded Duane Brown. You just gotta know something else is going on here. But DB76 is a stand up guy, so I doubt he'll ever leak what the real issue was.

I will caution you though, he blew his quad I think in his right leg. Though he played well I the final 12 games of 2016 some have speculated his hold out this summer was because he is unsure how long he'll be able to play at an elite level.

Some believe his hold out was due to management getting on him for raising a fist during the national anthem last season (really the only form of protest from any Texans until yesterday).

I don't know about all that. I did think a $9.6M salary was sufficient salary for him. I believe there were only two OTs in the league pocketing more in 2016 (not cap hit, real cash).

Anyway, I hope he plays until he's 40. I really hate seeing him go.

endzorn

Reaction score
Jason la Canfora says Seattle didn't alter Brown's deal so someone on the Seahawks had to restructure. Any word on who that is?

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Thunderkyss":u7dy09bg said:
Congrats guys, you've got a great player. He's been one of my favorite Texans for a long time. He's a warrior. He gives you 100% on the field & has been great in the community.

I knew he was going to be traded when he called our owner's comments ignorant over the weekend. I didn't want to admit it, but it seemed like he didn't really want to be here.

We need a LT, bad... We traded Duane Brown. You just gotta know something else is going on here. But DB76 is a stand up guy, so I doubt he'll ever leak what the real issue was.

I will caution you though, he blew his quad I think in his right leg. Though he played well I the final 12 games of 2016 some have speculated his hold out this summer was because he is unsure how long he'll be able to play at an elite level.

Some believe his hold out was due to management getting on him for raising a fist during the national anthem last season (really the only form of protest from any Texans until yesterday).

I don't know about all that. I did think a $9.6M salary was sufficient salary for him. I believe there were only two OTs in the league pocketing more in 2016 (not cap hit, real cash).

Anyway, I hope he plays until he's 40. I really hate seeing him go.

Classy post. You've got a hell of a QB. Hope you guys do well against everyone but the Seahawks.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Seymour":1o2xyquw said:
Tinymac2":1o2xyquw said:

They are always available on Madden!

Tinymac2

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":11mg4pci said:
Seymour":11mg4pci said:
Tinymac2":11mg4pci said:

They are always available on Madden!

Wouldn't the last draft or the prior three have been the appropriate place to address the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.