Penny frustrated, Pete likes it.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
xray":3gkdasuf said:
IMO...Carroll went after an RB because of need and a lot of pressure to save his job...Carroll & co picked the wrong player with a 1st round pick. He's not playing because he's not as good as Carson or Davis... Carson was a 7th rounder and I think Davis went undrafted....1st rounders around the NFL are playing every game and most are starting...not Penny....why ?
Carroll is trying to embarrass Penny into becoming an NFL RB....good luck with that Pete....I say play Penny hard and lets see what he's got....or admit that maybe Penny wasn't close to being a 1st rounder.....IMO.... :irishdrinkers:

I think Penny can become a solid player with the right guidance and some time under his belt in the system. He has the tools, they just need to be tuned up for the NFL.

Also Davis was a 4th Round Pick.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I’m less concerned about Penny and the running game than what’s going on currently with the DL. They drafted two DL guys with their first couple of picks in the past two years and neither is significantly contributing thus far. One’s done with his nfl career and the other has barely started but seems to be injury prone. The weakest part of the team is their pass rush and those they have picked to help seem to be better suited for an infirmary.

chris98251

Reaction score
Carson a 7th rounder, Davis a 4th rounder, Adrian Foster was undrafted. Mark Ingram was a first rounder also and we could go on and on and on about 1ST busts. So by your objectivity, every Receiver we bring in that is a draft pick should be able to walk in and take Baldwins spot on the roster, same can be said for every 1st round QB that we bring in or 2nd rounder since Wilson is a third rounder.

Pete wants Penny hungry, Penny has skills, needs confidence and a chance, needs to adapt to NFL speed for his cuts, he is a different type of runner then Carson and Davis. If there is a back on the roster that resembles what Alexander did it is Penny as far as running, Penny just has a much more complete game then Alexander ever did.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3us8yh08 said:
I’m less concerned about Penny and the running game than what’s going on currently with the DL. They drafted two DL guys with their first couple of picks in the past two years and neither is significantly contributing thus far. One’s done with his nfl career and the other has barely started but seems to be injury prone. The weakest part of the team is their pass rush and those they have picked to help seem to be better suited for an infirmary.

So a Green gets an ankle sprain and he's injury prone? He pretty much played most of the preseason and 3 regular season games. Ankle sprains happen. Not like he tore his ACL. Hanging out in the trenches always puts the ankles at risk. It's a fluke thing. Sometimes you get rolled up and there is not much you can do.

Green will improve and I think he's got good potential. I agree we are a stud pass rusher from being really good on defense but I'm sure that's the plan for next year. Re-sign Clark, Green will be a year better and then try to grab a FA or new draft pick.

It's too bad it 's not happening this year but you can hardly fix everything especially when you are always in the bottom half of round one. You don't get a crack at the Joey Bosa types at 22.

themunn

Reaction score
Seymour":8new5kr4 said:
Carson and Davis are "good players". Penny was drafted in a position to expect to become a "great player" and it's not unreasonable to use that as the standard.

I'm not liking what I'm seeing and hearing (and not seeing) at this time and point myself. I'm not worried because I've come to expect blown early picks from this staff myself.

There is no reason Carson can't be a "great" player, he has certainly shown evidence that he might be, albeit in limited sample size. Of course he could end up another Thomas Rawls, who appeared to be a "great" player before fading off after injury. The good news is that Carson appears to have come back from his injury just as good if not better than in his rookie campaign.

But similarly, Penny has had a limited sample size too, so there's no way to tell either way.

When Lynch came to Seattle his first season was littered with ineffective games, and it wasn't until the Saints playoff game where he really broke through.

That first season he had games of 17 carries for 44 yards, 9 carries for 7 yards, 13 carries for 29 yards, 7 carries for 20 yards, 10 carries for 29 yards - all less than 3YPC.

Even going into the first half of 2011 he had a terrible start, 13 for 33, 6 for 11, 19 for 73 (not terrible but not great), 8 for 24 in his first 4 games, another game later 16 carries for 24 yards.

Given Lynch turned into one of the greatest backs in team history, I'm willing to give Penny the benefit of the doubt longer than 4 games before writing him off completely.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
themunn":htxqs05z said:
I'm willing to give Penny the benefit of the doubt longer than 4 games before writing him off completely.

On this site I'm not sure that is allowed.

Ozzy

Reaction score
hawknation2018":3j1luwg9 said:
This is a pretty good article. It’s anecdotal, but I’ll take what I can get.

That context you might be overlooking or forgetting is the careers of almost every significant back in the last decade. I don’t even need to pull back farther than that — and if I did, we’d go back to an era where it was always assumed that running backs needed at least a year to get up to NFL speed. (Remember that Shaun Alexander was a backup to Ricky Watters.) I think backs still need time to get caught up to the speed of the pros.

The proof is in the careers of these backs. And the context that you’ve forgotten about their career starts is now provided.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fieldg ... n-bell-nfl

The worst examples the author could come up with were all still much more of a factor in their teams offense than Penny has been. What Penny is doing as a first round running back is rare and not in a good way. I still think he can be a very good player but so far the pick looks bad. First round running backs aren't high return picks unless they're great especially when you're a team with multiple holes. It seemed like a Pete type of pick where he trumps the room. Anyway I sound negative but I'm optimistic Penny can be very good good.

Own The West

Reaction score
Penny’s only problem is he’s not the second coming of Barry Sanders, in week 5, of his rookie season, after missing half of training camp.

We have a running game again! Our offense scores points again! Be happy!

...Or just complain some guy on our bench is not some other guy on our bench. Or that we should have drafted that one guy that’s doing well on another team in another system. Or that we didn’t have enough draft picks. Or that any of our draft picks that don’t make the pro bowl by year two are busts.

If I wasn’t a fan of this team, I’d say let’s cut Penny so the whiners can watch him come into his own on another team, but then I suppose they’d just call our FO — that took a garbage team and turned it into a SB Winner — idiots and complain some more.

Why is it that some people can’t draw a breath without finding something else to bitch about?
:pukeface:

Seymour

Reaction score
themunn":z1ohoj6v said:
Seymour":z1ohoj6v said:
Carson and Davis are "good players". Penny was drafted in a position to expect to become a "great player" and it's not unreasonable to use that as the standard.

I'm not liking what I'm seeing and hearing (and not seeing) at this time and point myself. I'm not worried because I've come to expect blown early picks from this staff myself.

There is no reason Carson can't be a "great" player, he has certainly shown evidence that he might be, albeit in limited sample size. Of course he could end up another Thomas Rawls, who appeared to be a "great" player before fading off after injury. The good news is that Carson appears to have come back from his injury just as good if not better than in his rookie campaign.

But similarly, Penny has had a limited sample size too, so there's no way to tell either way.

When Lynch came to Seattle his first season was littered with ineffective games, and it wasn't until the Saints playoff game where he really broke through.

That first season he had games of 17 carries for 44 yards, 9 carries for 7 yards, 13 carries for 29 yards, 7 carries for 20 yards, 10 carries for 29 yards - all less than 3YPC.

Even going into the first half of 2011 he had a terrible start, 13 for 33, 6 for 11, 19 for 73 (not terrible but not great), 8 for 24 in his first 4 games, another game later 16 carries for 24 yards.

Given Lynch turned into one of the greatest backs in team history, I'm willing to give Penny the benefit of the doubt longer than 4 games before writing him off completely.

Not once have I said Penny was a bust or "completely written him off", and in fact I have yet to read 1 person saying they wrote him off completely. People are saying he was a poor pick for the 1st round because he is holding the bench down, appears slow and most don't believe a finger issue or missed training camp will slow a players speed down.

nutluck

Reaction score
I will say give Penny time, maybe he will be great, maybe good, maybe bad and maybe a bust. But one season does not define a player even if he doesn't do well. I mean just look at Gurley, he had a great rookie year but his second year wasn't very good less than 900 rushing yards, 3.2 ypc, 6 TD's and few big plays. Then Gurley followed it up with last year, I remember 2 years ago some wondered if Gurley was really as good as he first seemed.

So give Penny time, if he doesn't produce during his 3rd year, then it is time to worry. With that said, I get why people are frustrated with his lack of production so far.

Seymour

Reaction score
Own The West":1lp5jk5o said:
Penny’s only problem is he’s not the second coming of Barry Sanders, in week 5, of his rookie season, after missing half of training camp.

We have a running game again! Our offense scores points again! Be happy!

...Or just complain some guy on our bench is not some other guy on our bench. Or that we should have drafted that one guy that’s doing well on another team in another system. Or that we didn’t have enough draft picks. Or that any of our draft picks that don’t make the pro bowl by year two are busts.

If I wasn’t a fan of this team, I’d say let’s cut Penny so the whiners can watch him come into his own on another team, but then I suppose they’d just call our FO — that took a garbage team and turned it into a SB Winner — idiots and complain some more.

Why is it that some people can’t draw a breath without finding something else to bitch about?
:pukeface:

Classic!
Bitch about the bitchers then pretend you aren't one of them. :roll:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":13444ggo said:
Not once have I said Penny was a bust or "completely written him off", and in fact I have yet to read 1 person saying they wrote him off completely. People are saying he was a poor pick for the 1st round because he is holding the bench down, appears slow and most don't believe a finger issue or missed training camp will slow a players speed down.

Penny's pretty damn quick through the hole, it's after that I'm a little concerned.

What makes Carson such a great back (and all good to great RB's) is his ability to break that first tackle and get to the 2nd level.

I haven't seen Penny do this, he goes down at first contact far too often for my taste.

Obviously very small sample size, and goes against all of his draft profile positives. Most of what I read and saw was that he was more like Lynch, physical tackle breaking type back.

But yes, so far? Not worth a first round pick. You pick a RB in the first round, he better not only start right away, but be your primary back getting 1,000 yards a season right from the get go.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2gafq36b said:
Seymour":2gafq36b said:

Penny's pretty damn quick through the hole, it's after that I'm a little concerned.

What makes Carson such a great back (and all good to great RB's) is his ability to break that first tackle and get to the 2nd level.

I haven't seen Penny do this, he goes down at first contact far too often for my taste.

Obviously very small sample size, and goes against all of his draft profile positives. Most of what I read and saw was that he was more like Lynch, physical tackle breaking type back.

But yes, so far? Not worth a first round pick. You pick a RB in the first round, he better not only start right away, but be your primary back getting 1,000 yards a season right from the get go.

Agree. Penny reminds me of "Top heavy Turbin" who had a massive upper body yet the wind of an arm wave seemed to bring him down at times. It's a balance issue, and why beast mode was who he was. He ran with a wide base and rarely could be knocked off balance by anything other than a full head of steam or square head on hit.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
T-Hawk":2fe4hb6u said:
Spin Doctor":2fe4hb6u said:
rcaido":2fe4hb6u said:
Obviously Carson, Davis, & Prosise were questionable with their health...We really needed a RB, so we drafted one.

The problem is Carson & Davis are playing amazing...That's a great problem to have.
The issue people are having is the running back chosen, and the position at which he was taken (first round) -- especially since the Seahawks passed up some really good talent in areas of need to take Penny. Never liked the guys footage, even before we drafted him. I think his durability in college, return prowess at the NCAA level and pass catching abilities played a role in their decision making. They love those versatile players that can wear multiple different hats. Unfortunately they are blinded by players like this all too often, and are willing to overlook major red flags.

Will Penny be a bust? I think so, but that is only my opinion. Even if he ends up decent my main gripe is we passed on some really good players that would've helped our team in an even greater capacity in the now, and future -- the main one being Hernandez.

Would Hernandez be that big of an upgrade? We're currently playing a back up at guard that just moved to the left side on the fly and we just ran for 190, and have 3 straight weeks with a 100+ yd rusher for the first time in 6 years.
Our two guards are rent-a-players. Fluker, and Sweezy are career journeymen who are good at one thing: runblocking. Fluker has been highly inconsistent over his career, and Sweezy is also a journeyman who has injury issues. Procic has some promise, but aside from him we really have no young offensive lineman that are viable. All of our guys are living on borrowed time save for Britt or maybe our RT if he can pull his head out of his you know where.

T-Hawk

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":gmshjm2f said:
T-Hawk":gmshjm2f said:
Spin Doctor":gmshjm2f said:
rcaido":gmshjm2f said:
Obviously Carson, Davis, & Prosise were questionable with their health...We really needed a RB, so we drafted one.

The problem is Carson & Davis are playing amazing...That's a great problem to have.
The issue people are having is the running back chosen, and the position at which he was taken (first round) -- especially since the Seahawks passed up some really good talent in areas of need to take Penny. Never liked the guys footage, even before we drafted him. I think his durability in college, return prowess at the NCAA level and pass catching abilities played a role in their decision making. They love those versatile players that can wear multiple different hats. Unfortunately they are blinded by players like this all too often, and are willing to overlook major red flags.

Will Penny be a bust? I think so, but that is only my opinion. Even if he ends up decent my main gripe is we passed on some really good players that would've helped our team in an even greater capacity in the now, and future -- the main one being Hernandez.

Would Hernandez be that big of an upgrade? We're currently playing a back up at guard that just moved to the left side on the fly and we just ran for 190, and have 3 straight weeks with a 100+ yd rusher for the first time in 6 years.
Our two guards are rent-a-players. Fluker, and Sweezy are career journeymen who are good at one thing: runblocking. Fluker has been highly inconsistent over his career, and Sweezy is also a journeyman who has injury issues. Procic has some promise, but aside from him we really have no young offensive lineman that are viable. All of our guys are living on borrowed time save for Britt or maybe our RT if he can pull his head out of his you know where.

And Davis is also a career journeyman, and Carson is coming off a big injury. Guard and RB were both areas of need, both were addressed, and now both are a strength.

If we drafted Hernandez instead and he couldn't crack our starting lineup yet due to our other 3 guards outplaying him, would you write him off as a bust after 5 games?

adeltaY

Reaction score
I find it very hard to believe Hernandez wouldn't be starting over Sweezy or Fluker at one of the guard spots and they probably wouldn't even have signed Sweezy if they had Hernandez, who has been graded very well by PFF so far.

The Melvin Gordon comparison makes sense in that he wasn't good his first year, but he was at least starting. Can anyone name a first round pick RB who was a third stringer his first year and went on to be great?

hawknation2018

Reaction score
adeltaY":cqs6v3gu said:
I find it very hard to believe Hernandez wouldn't be starting over Sweezy or Fluker at one of the guard spots and they probably wouldn't even have signed Sweezy if they had Hernandez, who has been graded very well by PFF so far.

The Melvin Gordon comparison makes sense in that he wasn't good his first year, but he was at least starting. Can anyone name a first round pick RB who was a third stringer his first year and went on to be great?

Mark Ingram, behind Pierre Thomas and Darren Sproles as a rookie.

T-Hawk

Reaction score
Steven Jackson started as technically the 4th RB, although he got the second most carries by season end. Larry Johnson was third string, got called out publicly by his coach and didn't get hardly any touches until 2 guys got injured ahead of him.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
adeltaY":36nlo7z2 said:

Not a lot.

Curiously I was doing my research to see if I could actually find any 1st Round Running backs that were 3rd on the Depth Chart and moved onto to be great. I couldn't find much honestly but what I found was interesting and encouraging.

Not all running backs are created equal and many do turn out to be flops but I grabbed a few of the better known backs that were drafted in the 1st Round since 2000.

Running backs like; Larry Johnson, Jonathan Stewart, Steven Jackson, Shaun Alexander, to name a few were drafted in the first round and all drafted fairly late, with the exception of Stewart who was taken with Pick 13. The rest, Pick 27, Pick 24, Pick 19.

All of these backs didn't start right away and were stashed away on their rosters. In fact then coach of KC, Dick Virmiel, didn't even want to draft Larry Johnson. Each sat behind someone else. Priest Holmes to Larry Johnson. DeAngello Williams to Jonathan Stewart. Marshal Faulk to Steven Jackson. Ricky Watters to Shaun Alexander.

Each of these young players didn't have the best performances their first year. Some had flashes and others felt like they were going to be duds, however each of them came into their own when they started their second year, most taking or given the starting job by then. Many had to sit behind the vets to learn and get their NFL legs before even performing.

Rashaad Penny was picked 27th over all and is now a back up in waiting behind two vets. We knew coming into this season that Carson was gonna get the role of lead back and Davis has been performing.

Now this isn't to say that Penny will develop like any of the named players. Some 1st Round backs either have it or they don't. Some hit the ground running. Some take time. Some fail. But there is a small correlation of interesting data, so who knows?

I'm willing to let Penny sit and learn behind Davis and Carson there is no rush to get him out onto the field at this time.

T-Hawk

Reaction score
adeltaY":2n05xqoa said:

To address the first part of this, yes, you are right, Hernandez would probably be starting and we probably wouldn't have signed Sweezy.

My issue is that Spin Doctor keeps trashing the Penny pick and saying Hernandez should've been drafted, but guard is actually a solid unit on our team and Hernandez wouldn't be much of an improvement. So, if we had drafted Hernandez, is our team really in a better overall state than we are currently?

Right now we can withstand an injury to both RB and Guard. If we drafted Hernandez and not Penny, we would not be in a state to withstand an RB injury. If we went RB later, who do you want to cast off that we drafted? Keep in mind every draft pick we made is still with the team.

Latest posts