Penny frustrated, Pete likes it.

Seymour

Reaction score
rcaido":k79za49k said:
Obviously Carson, Davis, & Prosise were questionable with their health...We really needed a RB, so we drafted one.

The problem is Carson & Davis are playing amazing...That's a great problem to have.

Why is that the only problem?

An NFL running back showing up to work day 1 overweight would be like you (say you are a carpenter) showing up to work day 1 in an arm cast. One of the first alarming things I noticed from Penny is he flat out looked slow on the field.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1bkxm7d3 said:
Heard Big Walt the other day in an interview. He said give Penny time. Neither Carson nor Davis have proven they're durable RB's; Penny could get a chance (knock on wood).

Would Big Walt ever say anything negative about a player in a public interview? Sorry but gonna take what he has to say in this context with a grain of salt

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
rcaido":1owkb0dy said:
Obviously Carson, Davis, & Prosise were questionable with their health...We really needed a RB, so we drafted one.

The problem is Carson & Davis are playing amazing...That's a great problem to have.
The issue people are having is the running back chosen, and the position at which he was taken (first round) -- especially since the Seahawks passed up some really good talent in areas of need to take Penny. Never liked the guys footage, even before we drafted him. I think his durability in college, return prowess at the NCAA level and pass catching abilities played a role in their decision making. They love those versatile players that can wear multiple different hats. Unfortunately they are blinded by players like this all too often, and are willing to overlook major red flags.

Will Penny be a bust? I think so, but that is only my opinion. Even if he ends up decent my main gripe is we passed on some really good players that would've helped our team in an even greater capacity in the now, and future -- the main one being Hernandez.

Seymour

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":2ev5surh said:
MontanaHawk05":2ev5surh said:
Heard Big Walt the other day in an interview. He said give Penny time. Neither Carson nor Davis have proven they're durable RB's; Penny could get a chance (knock on wood).

Would Big Walt ever say anything negative about a player in a public interview? Sorry but gonna take what he has to say in this context with a grain of salt

Exactly. Follow the money, he is now on the Seahawks broadcast payroll. Yes, we should give him (Penny) time....because we now have to mostly.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
brimsalabim":j8snukyv said:
Mad Dog":j8snukyv said:
Bahh. Everyone thought Alexander was a bust when he couldn't supplant Ricky Watters. We saw how that turned out.

Perspective people.

Umm yea... so to be clear is it Carson or Davis that you are comparing to Ricky Waters?

I'd say Carson is more the Ricky Watters prototype. Workman like back that never takes negative yardage but rarely breaks a long one.

Seafan

Reaction score
Rookies need practice and playing time. The injury really set him back because you don't have those kind of opportunities in season. The team needs to think about Sunday, every week. He'll get a chance at some point. Penny was drafted due to the injury history of the Seattle backfield. No one likes to pay for insurance until you need it.

T-Hawk

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3p4dzq96 said:
T-Hawk":3p4dzq96 said:
Seymour":3p4dzq96 said:
MontanaHawk05":3p4dzq96 said:

Did our 7th round pick (Carson) need this time last year?

No you say....why is that then? Look at the shape that Carson showed up in and compare that to Penny. Night and day difference in attitude and dedication. One seems hungry and the other not so much IMO.

I think Carson is the exception, not the rule. Yeah it sucks that our first round pick is currently 3rd on the depth chart. I choose to look at it as Carson and Davis are just playing that well right now, rather than Penny isn't good enough. I could be wrong, but I'll stay optimistic about him until proven otherwise, and no his first 2 career starts splitting carries in a 60/40 pass offense doesn't prove anything yet.
Carson isn't the exception. The history of the NFL is full of running backs that are productive as low round picks, even right away in some cases. We're seeing two of them right now in Royce Freeman and Lindsay over in Denver. Two really productive backs in last years draft were taken in the 3rd round (Kareem Hunt and Alvin Kamara). Our Chris Carson was also productive in the games he played as a 7th round pick. Hell, the Broncos under Shannahan regularly turned nobodies into stars, that was their MO.

Last year there were 26 RBs drafted in the 3rd round or later and you name 3 were who were good. Yeah history is full of late round RB that do well, it's also full of a lot more that aren't any good. Just because Carson is playing way above his 7rd draft position doesn't mean he is automatically the standard that any RB we draft earlier than that must live up to.

T-Hawk

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":11nkclrv said:
rcaido":11nkclrv said:

The issue people are having is the running back chosen, and the position at which he was taken (first round) -- especially since the Seahawks passed up some really good talent in areas of need to take Penny. Never liked the guys footage, even before we drafted him. I think his durability in college, return prowess at the NCAA level and pass catching abilities played a role in their decision making. They love those versatile players that can wear multiple different hats. Unfortunately they are blinded by players like this all too often, and are willing to overlook major red flags.

Will Penny be a bust? I think so, but that is only my opinion. Even if he ends up decent my main gripe is we passed on some really good players that would've helped our team in an even greater capacity in the now, and future -- the main one being Hernandez.

Would Hernandez be that big of an upgrade? We're currently playing a back up at guard that just moved to the left side on the fly and we just ran for 190, and have 3 straight weeks with a 100+ yd rusher for the first time in 6 years.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":28jmvqia said:
rcaido":28jmvqia said:

Penny’s durability, athleticism, field awareness, special teams and catching ability are all factors that suggest it is highly unlikely that he will be considered a “bust.” It was a low risk pick, if you didn’t begin with the expectation that he would be mentally/physically ready to play well as a rookie.

I think he can certainly do some things well, right now. A fly sweep would be be a great usage his hands, speed, and field awareness. He can also catch passes out of the backfield on some 3rd downs. They should make things as simple as possible, so he feels comfortable enough to master two or three special plays. Giving him a whole series and expecting decisiveness and a perfect mastering of the offense doesn’t make sense at this stage in his development. But neither does not using him at all.

hawk45

Reaction score
I don't see how I can possibly take seriously an argument where Ricky Watters is raised as the comp. that's an automatic false start.

Penny may be fine. But it is legit worrisome because RB is the one position where the real deal backs drafted high (and low) come in and light it up routinely in the NFL.

There are absolutely backs that improve as they go on. But the expectation for players drafted in the first round at this position is to see immediate contribution. Penny has only flashed on a couple of plays in pre and regular season. Carson was flashing all over his first year. This is not dispositive, but nor should it be waved away with mumbles about SA.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
The fieldgulls article brought up Melvin Gordon. That seems like a really good comparator.

Both were highly prolific runners at the college level. Both were running behind offensive lines and fullbacks who regularly opened up massive holes. Both ran through and around sluggish college defenses with ease. I was suspsicious of how easily both players would transition to the league for those reasons.

Gordon was an even more highly touted and higher drafted RB than Penny. But what happened when he hit the NFL as a rookie? The speed differential from the Big Ten to the NFL was overwhelming. The holes were minuscule. As a result, he struggled with indecisiveness and averaged 3.5 YPC.

Screen Shot 2018 10 02 at 103112 AM

Penny’s size and athletic traits are even better than Gordon’s. His vision, field awareness, and hands are comparable. He could certainly be as good in his 2nd, 3rd, 4th year.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
T-Hawk":3676e9po said:
Spin Doctor":3676e9po said:
rcaido":3676e9po said:

Would Hernandez be that big of an upgrade? We're currently playing a back up at guard that just moved to the left side on the fly and we just ran for 190, and have 3 straight weeks with a 100+ yd rusher for the first time in 6 years.

Exactly. Everyone falls in love with their own player in the draft, and for a lot of people it was Hernandez - even though the offensive line is a strength of the team without him.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Here are a few quotes from Penny regarding his status and playing. To me it doesn't sound like a player who is lazy or has poor work ethic. It sounds more like a young player who got hurt, missed some time, and is working hard to catch up. Carson and Davis should be ahead of Penny at this time. I'd be more concerned, if they weren't. I think that he's 3rd string right now speaks more about Carson and Davis' abilities rather than Penny not performing well.

“I didn’t play like half of the preseason and I didn’t practice, so I didn’t get an opportunity to run and make cuts when all of those other guys did. They had all that,” Penny said Tuesday. “I’m a rookie. It’s my first year, so it’s just something I have to get used to. I’m confident in myself that I can do the things they can, but like I said, they’ve got the hot hand and they’re great running backs in their own right. They’re doing amazing. They’re doing all the little things right, and when you do all the little things right it adds up to doing what they do in the games, and they’re playing well.”

“I was never at 236 (pounds). I was never at 240,” said Penny, after Carroll casually mentioned to the media during training camp in August that the running back had weighed in at 236. “I was never big. It’s just how I am. At the combine I wasn’t even 220, so all the reports about all that is crazy. I’m at the weight I’m at now and I feel good. I’ve been feeling good since I stepped in Seattle. I feel like I’m at the best weight and I feel like I’m playing at the best weight.”

Though, if you ask Penny, “frustrated” isn’t the right word. “I’m just more so ready,” Penny said. “It’s just another step to take. I know when I get my opportunity I won’t shy away from it.”

For the full article -
https://www.seattletimes.com/sports...y-frustrated-and-i-want-him-to-be-frustrated/

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
hawknation2018":3iiv7mb8 said:
Spin Doctor":3iiv7mb8 said:
rcaido":3iiv7mb8 said:

Penny’s durability, athleticism, field awareness, special teams and catching ability are all factors that suggest it is highly unlikely that he will be considered a “bust.” It was a low risk pick, if you didn’t begin with the expectation that he would be mentally/physically ready to play well as a rookie.

I think he can certainly do some things well, right now. A fly sweep would be be a great usage his hands, speed, and field awareness. He can also catch passes out of the backfield on some 3rd downs. They should make things as simple as possible, so he feels comfortable enough to master two or three special plays. Giving him a whole series and expecting decisiveness and a perfect mastering of the offense doesn’t make sense at this stage in his development. But neither does not using him at all.
He should have been ready to play as a rookie and it's obvious that is what Pete expected of him early in the season. For the first two games Carson, and Penny were virtually even in carries even though Carson was slated as the starter. You don't take a running back that high just to have him be third string. You don't take a running back in the first if you don't think he'll be ready to play right away.

Secondly Penny is not fast by NFL standards. The guy looks slow out there, and looking at his college tape he didn't look overly fast either. He doesn't play as fast as his 40 indicates, especially since he weighs around 15 pounds more than he did at the combine. His athleticism is nothing special by NFL standards. Despite his size he is not a physical runner, and is easily brought down by simple arm tackles. He has not demonstrated that he has the ability to make the first guy miss on a consistent basis as well. Carson, and Davis have the ability to either go through the first man, or make them miss. This is an essential skill for a running back. The best backs do this on a consistent basis. He also dances around behind the line of scrimmage too much, very indecisive as a runner.

I'm going to state that Penny is going to be a bust, you can quote me on that. Feel free to bring it up if he has a good year down the road on the Seahawks. I'm getting some Trent Richardson vibes from this guy.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Well we spent a 1st on him so I am going to hope you are wrong.

I saw some good stuff from him before the draft and during the preseason. But what I don't understand is why we are not using him in pass plays as an option. That was the whole damned reason I wanted him.

I certainly am not going to root for it. We need him.

I think he is physically behind, probably accounting for the # of articles mentioning or strongly implying he is in the doghouse because he came into the season in worse shape than they hoped. But that is again, fixable.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":pw0i4sf9 said:
rcaido":pw0i4sf9 said:

I think it’s more of an issue to some that their “pet draftpicks” were not taken and their own ego’s are tied to that mentality.
Saw it here years when the Hawks DIDN’T draft Mark Sanchez. Some here thought he was the second coming of Joe Montana!

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":34kbponb said:
Spin Doctor":34kbponb said:
rcaido":34kbponb said:

I think it’s more of an issue to some that their “pet draftpicks” were not taken and their own ego’s are tied to that mentality.
Saw it here years when the Hawks DIDN’T draft Mark Sanchez. Some here thought he was the second coming of Joe Montana!

Great post Sports Hernia. Nailed it! :2thumbs:

mistaowen

Reaction score
To me it's nothing against the player himself, it's the use of a 1st on him. Didn't look great at senior bowl, got most of his huge yards on wide open runs, struggled to learn playbook. I know there were rumblings of him going to the Browns early round 2 and he was PC/JS guy, I just didn't necessarily like the pick. Certainly can prove me wrong, felt other RB's available were worth the pick. Penny was clearly a superior athlete compared to the players he was against in college, I just don't see a superior athlete at this level.

Honestly wonder if Derwin James was their target, certainly felt that way with how the draft went to the Chargers taking right before they could.

xray

Reaction score
IMO...Carroll went after an RB because of need and a lot of pressure to save his job...Carroll & co picked the wrong player with a 1st round pick. He's not playing because he's not as good as Carson or Davis... Carson was a 7th rounder and I think Davis went undrafted....1st rounders around the NFL are playing every game and most are starting...not Penny....why ?
Carroll is trying to embarrass Penny into becoming an NFL RB....good luck with that Pete....I say play Penny hard and lets see what he's got....or admit that maybe Penny wasn't close to being a 1st rounder.....IMO.... :irishdrinkers: