Pauline: Seahawks Looking To Trade Down From #20 With Hopes Tippmann or Schmitz Are Available Later

Fade

Reaction score
To me, a certain position does not matter how “high” or “low” you draft them if you believe they are great players.

No one will ever second guess a pick if they become a pro bowl player no matter what position they play but when they “hope” a player is still there, because other teams “don’t value” that position and will not also draft them higher, you risk losing that player you really like, because you think you can get them later….

I’ve always hated that draft strategy. There are usually only so many good/elite players of a certain position, if you grade them as a 1st rounder, why chance it, and hope they are there in round 2 or 3, just draft them at where you grade them.

Other teams are smart too and if they like a player, especially a good player, when they see them and they aren’t hesitant to draft them when they can.

Seattle, does things strangely sometimes and I don’t know why they like to risk it on a player that may be the best at their position for that draft. If you like them, pick them! Don’t wait!
Based on that logic the Seahawks should take Bijan Robinson at #5. Positional value doesn't matter, so long as they are elite players.

Positional value is a factor, and Centers are the easiest Offensive Line position to find. Routinely studs are drafted in the 2nd and 3rd rounds that can come in immediately and make an impact. It is what it is.

I'd be shocked if Seattle took one in the 1st round. If they did, he must be a helluva player, because the Seahawks have never really valued Center like that, either.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Based on that logic the Seahawks should take Bijan Robinson at #5. Positional value doesn't matter, so long as they are elite players.

Positional value is a factor, and Centers are the easiest Offensive Line position to find. Routinely studs are drafted in the 2nd and 3rd rounds that can come in immediately and make an impact. It is what it is.

I'd be shocked if Seattle took one in the 1st round. If they did, he must be a helluva player, because the Seahawks have never really valued Center like that, either.
I guess positional value matters and it doesn’t matter at times, it depends on how productive that player ultimately ends up.

Ultimately, on the field every snap, every 11 man, matters, right?

If you find a player and draft them day 3 and they become great players, that value is obviously there and you may or may not have gotten lucky with that pick. Most teams that didn’t draft them would probably say you got lucky.

I guess that’s what you are ultimately searching for, getting the best players for the lowest cost.

I think this strategy works really well if you happen to have a lot of holes and just need talent for every position.

Seattle is now somewhat in a place where they can add to specific position groups and if the talent is there, do they really want to take the chance to draft them “later?”

This said player could put them over the edge, but they are willing to risk it, just because the positional value isn’t valued then and there.

At the end, you do value them cause that’s what you are searching for, but you don’t want them at that price.

For every one Tariq Woolen, Schneider finds, he may draft 4 Jimmy Staten’s.

I’m just saying, if you like a player that much, but their position doesn’t dictate you drafting them there (why, cause NFL doesn’t think so, or the GM just wants to get them at the lowest price possible?).

You may ultimately not find a player of that caliber for some time. Couldn’t you just have used that higher pick previously, and we wouldn’t have this issue of finding a talented player now?

Seattle hasn’t found a player of Max Unger’s caliber for some time now, I don’t think finding Centers is as easy as the next draft will have them and so on and so on cause they are in such an abundant supply. If that’s the case, most teams would have solid centers, easily.

If it was that easy, Seattle, would have add a successor to Unger and then another successor center to that one that played after Unger.

But we never know each year.

Seattle is by far the hardest team to predict what they will do each draft.