Paul Richardson

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
chris98251":2dilhx20 said:
Basis4day":2dilhx20 said:
firebee":2dilhx20 said:
I think Norwood is going to beat out Richardson for the 5th spot on the roster with Kearse, Baldwin, Rice and Harvin getting most of the snaps. I don't think Norwood is as fast as Richardson, but he's got crazy receiving skills. He uses his body better than Richardson does to beat defenders for position and his hands are more reliable than Richardson's. Also a noticeable difference in route running. Norwood seems to understand how to run routes to clear out a zone vs. running a route to beat a man or running a route to exploit zone coverages. Richardson runs nice routes, but he seems to run routes without purpose at times. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Richardson, our first pick in the draft, on PS at the beginning of the season and brought off PS later if Rice or Harvin go down with injury, which I pretty much count on. Richardson has great big play ability, but I think he loses out to Norwood's consistency and better understanding of the nuances. I think Norwood is going to make a huge splash in preseason if he's healthy. Love his ball skills.

Richardson to the PS would never happen because players don't automatically go there. You need to cut him and have him clear waivers. And even if he did clear waivers and sign to the PS he is still free to sign with any team that makes him an offer. You don't think there is a spot on the other 31 teams' rosters for a high 2nd Rd Pick Burner WR right now?

He would be a Packer or a Raider before the newswire heard of the cut.
Or a Panther.

firebee

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":255vwvpe said:
chris98251":255vwvpe said:
Basis4day":255vwvpe said:
firebee":255vwvpe said:
I think Norwood is going to beat out Richardson for the 5th spot on the roster with Kearse, Baldwin, Rice and Harvin getting most of the snaps. I don't think Norwood is as fast as Richardson, but he's got crazy receiving skills. He uses his body better than Richardson does to beat defenders for position and his hands are more reliable than Richardson's. Also a noticeable difference in route running. Norwood seems to understand how to run routes to clear out a zone vs. running a route to beat a man or running a route to exploit zone coverages. Richardson runs nice routes, but he seems to run routes without purpose at times. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Richardson, our first pick in the draft, on PS at the beginning of the season and brought off PS later if Rice or Harvin go down with injury, which I pretty much count on. Richardson has great big play ability, but I think he loses out to Norwood's consistency and better understanding of the nuances. I think Norwood is going to make a huge splash in preseason if he's healthy. Love his ball skills.

Richardson to the PS would never happen because players don't automatically go there. You need to cut him and have him clear waivers. And even if he did clear waivers and sign to the PS he is still free to sign with any team that makes him an offer. You don't think there is a spot on the other 31 teams' rosters for a high 2nd Rd Pick Burner WR right now?

He would be a Packer or a Raider before the newswire heard of the cut.
Or a Panther.

I forgot about players having to clear waivers before hitting PS for some reason, so nevermind... Richardson will be on the roster, but still doesn't change me liking what I see from Norwood based on the film I've watched on him. He seems like a very polished receiver that has a better understanding of the nuances than most rookies entering the NFL. I'd be extremely surprised if Lockette made the team this year and I'd say Rice is definitely on the bubble due to salary and health issues. If we did keep Rice, I'd see it as keeping him to showcase him early in the season and use him for trade bait or IR him if he gets injured early and keep him on as a receiver coach of sorts.

Basis4day

Reaction score
firebee":3maw2l5l said:
I forgot about players having to clear waivers before hitting PS for some reason, so nevermind... Richardson will be on the roster, but still doesn't change me liking what I see from Norwood based on the film I've watched on him. He seems like a very polished receiver that has a better understanding of the nuances than most rookies entering the NFL. I'd be extremely surprised if Lockette made the team this year and I'd say Rice is definitely on the bubble due to salary and health issues. If we did keep Rice, I'd see it as keeping him to showcase him early in the season and use him for trade bait or IR him if he gets injured early and keep him on as a receiver coach of sorts.

Rice is only under contract for 2014. He has a pretty long injury history and getting a team to trade for him is unrealistic. If he were injured it is much more likely that he would get cut. There isn't a lot of reason to IR him unless you want to burn your one IR with Return designation on him (Which we used on Okung last year).

A more likely scenario is that he starts on PUP and thus not available for the first 6 games. He wouldn't take up a roster spot on the 53 and it gives you a chance to see what the WR corp is capable of. After 6 weeks you can make a decision whether to call him up.

Rice practicing on the first day of training camp will be telling because if he practices he is no longer eligible for PUP.

The Radish

Reaction score
General Manager":3n8v7o5y said:
I'm not a huge fan of this pick given some of the players that were available but I think he has a good chance to be a serious weapon for us . The 134 he put up on Oregon tells me he has some chops and gives me confidence in his ability. I predict he will have a great training camp and I can't wait to see him play in the preseason .

How is it you've been around this long and still look in a conventional way about players drafted?

Pete and his crew have specific players they want for specific places.

:les:

OP
OP
General Manager

General Manager

Reaction score
The Radish":1jgh3tzc said:
General Manager":1jgh3tzc said:
I'm not a huge fan of this pick given some of the players that were available but I think he has a good chance to be a serious weapon for us . The 134 he put up on Oregon tells me he has some chops and gives me confidence in his ability. I predict he will have a great training camp and I can't wait to see him play in the preseason .

How is it you've been around this long and still look in a conventional way about players drafted?

Pete and his crew have specific players they want for specific places.

:les:

Apparently in your opinion you can't question anything the FO does, well we might as well shut down the entire draft portion of this forum then. I look at the draft based on my evaluation of the players period, because I enjoy grading players myself OK. It has nothing to do with conventional or unconventional . You asked I've answered I hope I've made my position clear.

chris98251

Reaction score
Largent80":ui82fai4 said:
Tates first 2 years were ummm... not good. He couldn't run routes worth a damn and his blocking was lacking. He "got it" in the 3rd year.

Richardson is ahead of him at least in the route running category.

Tate was a football player when we drafted him that was really never schooled in the art of being a receiver, Richardson is a receiver and learned the nuances of the position, his learning was harder since he really was the only threat there, I think thats a huge benefit over where Tate came from. He has learned that route running and adapting to coverage and reading it is a difference maker.

billio155

Reaction score
Having PR on the field does something we haven't had in years...it moves the free safety over. I will bet you anything we line PR on the left side so that when Russ roles right the safety will have to stay shaded left. It won't show up on the stats...but his impact will be felt.

OP
OP
General Manager

General Manager

Reaction score
billio155":2q6qmco7 said:
Having PR on the field does something we haven't had in years...it moves the free safety over. I will bet you anything we line PR on the left side so that when Russ roles right the safety will have to stay shaded left. It won't show up on the stats...but his impact will be felt.

Well that sounds good but there are so many variables, down and distance man vs zone base nickel dime and how well he actually plays on the field. So it's a little early for those kinds of defensive tendency's to be anything but speculation.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
General Manager":2m8pthag said:

You talked a TON of shiz on PRich in a lot of threads. Not sure I understand why you made this one exactly. Is it your way of saying you were wrong in a very backhanded way?

EntiatHawk

Reaction score
I am as excited about this player as many. But I have one question. If pure speed can cause issues why didn't Lockett cause a similar reaction for this team. He is pretty darn fast himself and bigger.

So it will have to be that he can really take the head off the defense that will be the factor of how much he impact a defensive scheme. There have been many fast dudes in the NFL its only those that have that skillset to kill you with it that make a difference. This is what Harvin has, he is fast and dangerous with the ball. P-Rich will have to show the same thing.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
EntiatHawk":33khgo4q said:
I am as excited about this player as many. But I have one question. If pure speed can cause issues why didn't Lockett cause a similar reaction for this team. He is pretty darn fast himself and bigger.

So it will have to be that he can really take the head off the defense that will be the factor of how much he impact a defensive scheme. There have been many fast dudes in the NFL its only those that have that skillset to kill you with it that make a difference. This is what Harvin has, he is fast and dangerous with the ball. P-Rich will have to show the same thing.
I probably doubt rookies more than anyone, but Richardson HAS shown way more talent than Ricardo. Ricardo is an unguided missile, point and shoot, and had college tape to match. Richardson has carried a college team offensively, with good (for colllege) routes and body control.

When I doubt him, it is just because rookie WRs rarely have big impacts. I don't doubt his future. Just the timing of it's arrival in the NFL.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
EntiatHawk":2unw8k50 said:

Because it takes WAY more than just being fast to play WR in the NFL. Intelligence, technique, tenacity and route running ability.

Richardson has all the tools for sure, my only concern is his ability to get of the line. Being smaller in frame means he's going to be manhandled by much bigger and more physical DB's than he saw in college.

Putting him in motion is part of the equation, but he's going to have to perfect his technique as well........which may take some time. Luckily he's going to go against the most physical DB's in the NFL in practice any day.

Basis4day

Reaction score
EntiatHawk":3o2uy29s said:

Richardson jumps off the screen because of his speed, but it's not the only thing he brings to the table.

Richardson was a top WR prospect drafted in the 2nd round of a loaded WR class who played Division 1 College ball in the Pac-12 and happens to be fast. That's plenty to get excited about site unseen when you consider that the only other WR to be drafted this high under PC/JS was Golden Tate. Fans get excited when you draft a WR high. It's sexy.

Lockette was an undrafted division 2 college player who took a couple years to find a niche as a special teams weapon. The FO hadn't yet developed that reputation for finding those later round guys and the fans had a more typical view of late round prospects at the time. His first year was the lockout shortened and more fans were excited in the WR realm by the signing of Sidney RIce, year 2 of BMW, and during the regular season the emergence of Doug Baldwin.

OP
OP
General Manager

General Manager

Reaction score
Richardson will be a good player I'm hoping for a great player but I don't expect him to get a ton of playing time unless Kearse struggles there are injuries or he flat out plays to good to keep him off the field. Same for Norwood .

chris98251

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1nz46ubg said:
EntiatHawk":1nz46ubg said:

Because it takes WAY more than just being fast to play WR in the NFL. Intelligence, technique, tenacity and route running ability.

Richardson has all the tools for sure, my only concern is his ability to get of the line. Being smaller in frame means he's going to be manhandled by much bigger and more physical DB's than he saw in college.

Putting him in motion is part of the equation, but he's going to have to perfect his technique as well........which may take some time. Luckily he's going to go against the most physical DB's in the NFL in practice any day.

Trying to remember but the brawl at OTA's with Sherman wasn't it Richardson and Sherm that started it off? He has Moxie if it was, not worried about his compete factor.

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
Richardson is going to be Desean Jackson-eque without the drama. Richardson is the vertical threat in this O and he don't have to go for jump balls to be effective he can run under them. Wilson can throw to a spot that only P-Rich can run too. Though not a every down player P-Rich can definatley blow the doors off most DBs in 3rd down/passing situations.

Basis4day

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":2l4d93hr said:
No, it was Adams or Bates or something

Adams got knocked down by Thomas which caused words to be exchanged. Sherman was defending Bates on the next play and they got into the scuffle.

chris98251

Reaction score
Cool thanks, I was going off memory and with all the new names then was not completely sure who it was, Richardson stuck in my head for some reason.