Paul Richardson

firebee

Reaction score
I think Norwood is going to beat out Richardson for the 5th spot on the roster with Kearse, Baldwin, Rice and Harvin getting most of the snaps. I don't think Norwood is as fast as Richardson, but he's got crazy receiving skills. He uses his body better than Richardson does to beat defenders for position and his hands are more reliable than Richardson's. Also a noticeable difference in route running. Norwood seems to understand how to run routes to clear out a zone vs. running a route to beat a man or running a route to exploit zone coverages. Richardson runs nice routes, but he seems to run routes without purpose at times. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Richardson, our first pick in the draft, on PS at the beginning of the season and brought off PS later if Rice or Harvin go down with injury, which I pretty much count on. Richardson has great big play ability, but I think he loses out to Norwood's consistency and better understanding of the nuances. I think Norwood is going to make a huge splash in preseason if he's healthy. Love his ball skills.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
firebee":17ndar4n said:
I think Norwood is going to beat out Richardson for the 5th spot on the roster with Kearse, Baldwin, Rice and Harvin getting most of the snaps. I don't think Norwood is as fast as Richardson, but he's got crazy receiving skills. He uses his body better than Richardson does to beat defenders for position and his hands are more reliable than Richardson's. Also a noticeable difference in route running. Norwood seems to understand how to run routes to clear out a zone vs. running a route to beat a man or running a route to exploit zone coverages. Richardson runs nice routes, but he seems to run routes without purpose at times. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Richardson, our first pick in the draft, on PS at the beginning of the season and brought off PS later if Rice or Harvin go down with injury, which I pretty much count on. Richardson has great big play ability, but I think he loses out to Norwood's consistency and better understanding of the nuances. I think Norwood is going to make a huge splash in preseason if he's healthy. Love his ball skills.

I highly doubt Paul Richardson will go to the practice squad... he isn't some raw player incapable of making any type of impact.

I think the difference you are seeing between Norwood and Richardson are the systems they played in and the teams they'd played on.

What made Norwood a great pick for the Seahawks, is because he came from a Run Heavy offensive system, that lacked bulk opportunities for passing targets, in that Norwood became efficiently productive and outstandingly clutch. Playing for a National Championship contender presented the opportunity to showcase his skillset in big moments, and big games. So all that film you see is more or less Norwood making the most of his limited opportunities while playing on a team with oriented purpose.

Richardson on the other hand, pretty much was his whole offensive system, and he was asked to carry a very bad Colorado team on his back when he was healthy. So I could kind of get the sentiment that he didn't compete every play with all out effort and all out purpose especially the few times his name wasnt called as the primary target.

So to me what you might be seeing is one WR whom at 6'2, 200 was not asked to carry the load making the most of his opportunities playing for a National Contender while the other WR who played at about 40 pounds less at 6'0, 160 was asked to be the production workhorse of a very bad team that more or less overused his abilities at times and getting a majority of all the opportunities which in my opinion as a deep field burner would lead to tremendous amount of fatigue as well as bodily infliction... which in turn can become the look of sloppy, lazy route-running and taking plays off especially at times when you have nothing to play for.

chris98251

Reaction score
To be productive when a defense is cheating to you and over under and double up is a testament to his abilities, his speed and catching abilities make him truly dangerous in a system where a defense has to account for Harvin, Baldwin, Miller, Lynch, Michael and Turbin and Wilson.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
chris98251":2sz4nn8v said:
To be productive when a defense is cheating to you and over under and double up is a testament to his abilities, his speed and catching abilities make him truly dangerous in a system where a defense has to account for Harvin, Baldwin, Miller, Lynch, Michael and Turbin and Wilson.

I'm trying to imagine what Paul Richardson might do, if you put him in fresh in the 2nd half of games after Defenses start breaking down from our ground and pound Beast Mode attack as well as from chasing around Harvin and pedestrian WRs plus the ever so elusive Russell Wilson.

Both Richardson and a running back like Michael are going to be straight big play/homerun ability assassins if they are put in the game fresh against very fatigued defenses.

Man, I can't wait for this season to start already... I think this Offense has the potential to be one of the best in the NFL while being the most balanced in terms of pass/run and spreading the ball around.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
firebee":y5zoolhy said:
Disagree. I think Sid is the odd man out, or less likely Ricardo.

EDIT to change the second name to Ricardo after reading Throw's post below.

Throwdown

Reaction score
firebee":3ur5wnt8 said:

..........if the seahawks were stupid enough to put Richardson on the PS, how long do you think he would last?

Norwood is gonna be the reason Lockette or Rice, or both don't make the team.

fridayfrenzy

Reaction score
firebee":w40jpiir said:

Not happening.

1. Richardson has received nothing but praise thus far.
2. You don't draft a player in the 2nd round to cut him. If they found space for Christine Michael last year, they'll find room for Richardson even if he never touches the field.
3. I think the Seahawks take 6 WRs on the roster so both will most likely make it.
4. In terms of priority, I believe it goes Richardson, Lockette, Norwood, Rice. Keep in mind that they cut Rice (for his salary), and he couldn't find another team to sign with before coming back to Seattle. He is cheap, but he is also "damaged goods" to an extent.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
firebee":wjl2nluj said:

Norwood and Richardson don't even play the same position on the line, totally different players.

So to say Norwood is going to beat out Richardson? I don't think that's accurate. Rice and Norwood are probably going for the same roster spot.........so if you want to break it down I'd say Rice is going to have the hardest time making this roster, not Norwood.

Even then, I could see us keeping all these receivers, at least for the first 6-8 weeks of the season to make sure Harvin is staying healthy.

Largent80

Reaction score
Tates first 2 years were ummm... not good. He couldn't run routes worth a damn and his blocking was lacking. He "got it" in the 3rd year.

Richardson is ahead of him at least in the route running category.

Basis4day

Reaction score
firebee":2drhlhxs said:

Richardson to the PS would never happen because players don't automatically go there. You need to cut him and have him clear waivers. And even if he did clear waivers and sign to the PS he is still free to sign with any team that makes him an offer. You don't think there is a spot on the other 31 teams' rosters for a high 2nd Rd Pick Burner WR right now?

chris98251

Reaction score
Basis4day":2k4si2gf said:
firebee":2k4si2gf said:

Richardson to the PS would never happen because players don't automatically go there. You need to cut him and have him clear waivers. And even if he did clear waivers and sign to the PS he is still free to sign with any team that makes him an offer. You don't think there is a spot on the other 31 teams' rosters for a high 2nd Rd Pick Burner WR right now?

He would be a Packer or a Raider before the newswire heard of the cut.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Richardson will do a lot of damage 20-30 yards downfield. That is when Richardson's second and third gears takeover. Richardson does not have elite "get off" speed; his ten-yard split is just 1.53, which is slower than Rice, Harvin, Baldwin, or Kearse. It's after 20 yards that Richardson hits elite speed and destroys DBs over the top. Wilson is very accurate in this range.

CurrentWR

Snakeeyes007

Reaction score
General Manager":3zpg2gc5 said:
I'm not a huge fan of this pick given some of the players that were available but I think he has a good chance to be a serious weapon for us . The 134 he put up on Oregon tells me he has some chops and gives me confidence in his ability. I predict he will have a great training camp and I can't wait to see him play in the preseason .

I tend to feel a bit deflated each time the Hawks' make a pick, in part because of hoping for someone else, and also because I often don't know much about the players we select. :229031_confused2: However, that feeling is quickly tempered by the knowledge that so many of our head-scratchers have turned in to gems under our coaching staff.

In that vein, I was perplexed when PRich was taken, desiring Penn State's Robinson to fill that "big receiver" many of us thought we were needing. After the fact, I'm as excited as most to see those handful of big plays I think he can make throughout the year. :snack: I'm also curious to see if he gets a shot at returning kicks, either kickoff or punt, and if we will use him for end arounds, toss sweeps, and WR toss plays. Long term, I'd love to see him become a Marvin Harrison type, but that's a ways out yet.

Seafan

Reaction score
General Manager":26cfse1c said:
I'm not a huge fan of this pick given some of the players that were available but I think he has a good chance to be a serious weapon for us . The 134 he put up on Oregon tells me he has some chops and gives me confidence in his ability. I predict he will have a great training camp and I can't wait to see him play in the preseason .

My initial thought when the Hawks were negotiating with the Vikes for Harvin was similar. I really wondered if Percy was worth the finacial/draft capital investment. Pete and John know what the heck they are doing. Sure the Hawks won the Super Bowl and the season was a smashing success with very little contribution from PH. But imagine how much more dangerous the offense can be with PH and PR. Special teams as well. It's going to be exciting.

lsheldon

Reaction score
It will be funny this season watching a guy who attended Colorado beat the Donkey's DB's.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
firebee":2folbzu9 said:

Norwood is more likely to not make the team at all .. than this scenario you've drawn out.

Richardson doesn't need to have a complete route tree yet.. his route is going to be "go deep"

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
I am a fan of the pic. We all think we know the talent available...some members go as far as to say they, 'ahem' "scout" the draftees, but, let's be real and acknowledge that nobody is doing the actual leg work like a true scout.

Seafan

Reaction score
Like with Percy the Hawks don't need PRich to compete. Those two should make things better. At the very least, exciting.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Seafan":3tjk5w9d said:
Like with Percy the Hawks don't need PRich to compete. Those two should make things better. At the very least, exciting.

Just imagine the different looks they can give a defense now with a healthy Percy. We caught a glimpse at what he is capable of doing with only a few touches in the postseason.. Harvin alone is a game-changer. Then you throw in a guy with the straight line speed of Richardson, and that's just absolutely frightening.

What will a defense do when Russ is in the gun with Lynch on his right and Percy motioning into the backfield as Richardson is split out wide with Baldwin and Kearse working the slots?

This is why Paul Richardson could have a major impact on offense, without even touching the football. You have to respect how fast he is.. and if they don't... well.. they will quickly learn a hard lesson.

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
adding percy, p-rich, and c-mike to a young offense that just won a superbowl is just unfair to the rest of the league

:3: