Paul Richardson

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Richardson is the wrong kind of receiver for this offense IMO. His strengths lie in route running, and quick cuts, he's the type of player that would look great in a timing offense like Green bay. He's not particularly good at improvising or coming down with contested balls, both of which were very important to the Seahawks in the past.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
xgeoff":37on62yp said:
MidwestHawker":37on62yp said:
xgeoff":37on62yp said:
MidwestHawker":37on62yp said:
No, generally speaking it is asking a bit much. You're overestimating the number of receivers who contribute strongly early on.

Not this year:

-- Odell Beckham
-- John Brown
-- Martavis Bryant
-- Allen Robinson
-- Davonte Adams
-- Sammy Watkins
-- Brandin Cooks
-- Kelvin Benjamin
-- Jordan Matthews
-- Marquise Lee
-- Mike Evans
-- Jarvis Landry

I could go on but, yeah, you're way off base this year.

Not sure why you included Marqise Lee.

But in any case: okay. What do you think is more likely, that this year is a statistical outlier in terms of production of rookie receivers, or that the position itself has suddenly been revolutionized this year?

Just a good draft class. And I think the point is that this year there are a LOT of rookie WR's making contributions and looking good. And Richardson doesn't. If you've seen some of these guys play, like Jarvis Landry, they look FAST! Richardson, doesn't. He doesn't look fast. He doesn't achieve separation. Rookie or not.

Did you see Jordan Matthews or Martavis Bryant on their respective Monday night games? They look great. I'd be willing to pin some blame on Bevell except that I just don't see the athletic ability in his routes and kick returns that I see with someone like Jarvis Landry, whom we could have had.

I will stick by the opinion of JS over yours as he gets paid for his. You don't.

HuskerHawk

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":3nq59gkx said:
Didn't create any real separation today in multiple one on one matchups. He's a rook and it's way too early to judge, but it would be nice to see Norwood eat into some of those reps.
I never saw a whole lot of separation from him on film. He seemed like a "one gear" guy who really lacked any burst. I also never saw a guy who was great at fighting for balls. Lot's of people thought the contrary however so maybe he'll turn it around. I'm still absolutely chapped we didn't take Abbrederis. I know he's hurt but he will be a stud if/when he's healthy. That guy could get open every play, and that type of player is what this team needs. Someone who can get open and convert in crucial situations, i.e. 3rd downs and in the red zone. Right now we have a decent slot guy in Baldwin playing as a 1, and a 6' 200 lb possession receiver with bad hands in Kearse.

xgeoff

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":u1uqm2ph said:
xgeoff":u1uqm2ph said:
Just a good draft class. And I think the point is that this year there are a LOT of rookie WR's making contributions and looking good. And Richardson doesn't. If you've seen some of these guys play, like Jarvis Landry, they look FAST! Richardson, doesn't. He doesn't look fast. He doesn't achieve separation. Rookie or not.

Are you basing this All-22 film, or what? I don't have the subscription to that myself, but I don't know that there's another way to judge his separation or lack thereof. Though, again, if separation is in fact an issue, that's absolutely the type of thing that improves with experience and further acclimation to the pro game.

Did you see Jordan Matthews or Martavis Bryant on their respective Monday night games? They look great. I'd be willing to pin some blame on Bevell except that I just don't see the athletic ability in his routes and kick returns that I see with someone like Jarvis Landry, whom we could have had.

I've seen them play. They're doing well. Not sure why I'd let the effectiveness of those receivers inform my expectations for Richardson at all. Until there's a long-term league-wide trend then realistic expectations for rookie wideouts are what they are.

I'm just going by what I've seen from Rookie WR's this year. I watch the games I can. I've seen most of these guys play on TV. I'm limited to what I can see during the game, but these guys are making plays so I'm getting to see a lot of them.

You made a statement that most WR's don't contribute early. I am simply saying that this year is not a good example of that. This year, there are a LOT of Rookie WR's capable of contributing in big ways, and we didn't seem to get any despite taking two in the draft.

People are saying this might be the best draft for WR's EVER. I think they may be right, and they are not saying this is a great draft for WR's because of Paul Richardson and Kevin Norwood. Cause they don't look that great.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
xgeoff":1bsh1ysc said:
You made a statement that most WR's don't contribute early. I am simply saying that this year is not a good example of that.

That's fine. Basing expectation on a small sample size that falls outside of the norm is obviously suboptimal and it's better to just go by what has gone on in the NFL for years and years.

People are saying this might be the best draft for WR's EVER. I think they may be right, and they are not saying this is a great draft for WR's because of Paul Richardson and Kevin Norwood. Cause they don't look that great.

They look fine. They're rookies. But obviously you're correct that they're not part of the hype of this class yet.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":1cldi8qq said:
seabowl":1cldi8qq said:
ImTheScientist":1cldi8qq said:
seabowl":1cldi8qq said:
I know he is a rookie but I have to admit I think he has been a disappointment thus far. With such a need for a WR to step up, it is even more important for him to perform. I just don't see the unbelievable separation speed as was advertised and he even lost his KR job to Baldwin today. I have noticed that he is a willing blocker downfield which is a plus but I was expecting more of a contribution from him thus far. So far, Desean Jackson he is not.

How so? He has done what he has asked what to do. The 12th man has been a disappointment to me. Reading these types of posts reminds me how fickle fans are.

72 TOTAL receiving yards in 10 games IMO is a disappointment. If I told you before the season started that he would have 72 yards after 10 games (with Harvin off the team no less) I gotta believe you would have been disappointed too.

IMO you are over reacting. If he played equal time and had a chance to perform like other rookie wrs then you would have an argument. Think about that and then respond. Remember the response to Russell Wilson his first half of the season? Sit down and take a deep breath Mr. overreaction.

Forget the lack of plays he has not made from the WR position. Getting replaced on KO duty is another dissapointment. I expect a for a second round pick him to make more of an impact than he has to this point. I don't blame him for being picked in round 2 but he won't higher than most thought and it's showing why.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It isn't his fault.

It is the fault of his offense.

Remember how Tate was an "average" receiver here that tended to vanish in certain games?

Then he goes to Detroit and starts putting up #s. The excuse is yeah, well Megatron is opposite him so OF COURSE he gets targets. Then Calvin goes down and Tate becomes the primary target and they don't miss a beat.

And Tate isn't doing it on a junk team. The Lions are better than the Seahawks this year. And he is a top WR for them. Unless you want to use the excuse that Detroit has such a good QB that Stafford inflates the #s compared to Wilson? Didn't think so.

Our wide receivers look bad or average because the guy responsible for the offense makes them look bad or average.

At some point, the blame has to go to the guy responsible for the offense. I suspect Baldwin would be better on another team too.

Paul was stellar at Colorado, essentially their only threat. Somehow I think if he ended up on the Broncos we would all be wondering why we didn't get him, because he would be putting up #s.

SeaMeat

Reaction score
He runs the routes he's told to run.

Tough to be noticed as a WR on this team's offense.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
It's hard for Richardson to make a big impact when the only route Bevell has him run is the 10 yard comeback.

firebee

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":38cfsrgx said:
It isn't his fault.

It is the fault of his offense.

Remember how Tate was an "average" receiver here that tended to vanish in certain games?

Then he goes to Detroit and starts putting up #s. The excuse is yeah, well Megatron is opposite him so OF COURSE he gets targets. Then Calvin goes down and Tate becomes the primary target and they don't miss a beat.

And Tate isn't doing it on a junk team. The Lions are better than the Seahawks this year. And he is a top WR for them. Unless you want to use the excuse that Detroit has such a good QB that Stafford inflates the #s compared to Wilson? Didn't think so.

Our wide receivers look bad or average because the guy responsible for the offense makes them look bad or average.

At some point, the blame has to go to the guy responsible for the offense. I suspect Baldwin would be better on another team too.

Paul was stellar at Colorado, essentially their only threat. Somehow I think if he ended up on the Broncos we would all be wondering why we didn't get him, because he would be putting up #s.

As I said... We could have Calvin Johnson, AJ Green and Julio Jones for our receivers and they'd all look like garbage out there because the design of the passing plays, purpose, intent and progression all sucks on half the passing plays that are called. Running a slot and TE clear out, so you can get the ball to the outside receiver running a slant inside towards the linebackers that aren't going to be dropping with the clearout routes because they have Safety help over the top. Running a flag inside a go, so you get 3 DBs covering 2 WRs that end up at approximately the same area on the outside for a reception. Running an out route, so your slot is taking your inside coverage to an outside receiver on a hitch route. Running a seam inside a post, so two receivers end up in a pile of DBs going down the middle.

WTF!?!? The design of a passing play is supposed to split coverages and create voids because that... Gets Your Receivers Open!!! The design of a passing play is not supposed to join coverages together and create cluster#-%#$ around your receivers, which is what I've been seeing a lot of.

HawkerD

Reaction score
Wenhawk":o2z6u8s1 said:
What stings even more is that a handful of other rookie Wrs have been doing much better.

Would love to have Kelvin Benjamin or Martavious Bryant. even Allen Robinson, Jordan Matthews, Devonte Adams.

there's about 15 WRs from this years draft that are doing better. This year WR class has hit the ground running. See Cooks, Benjamin, Evans, etc

Pick6

Reaction score
What makes you think some of those WR would be great in Seattle? They don't have Bevell as the OC. Most of those rookie receivers play in a pass-heavy/balance offense. It took Tate a few seasons before he could put up decent numbers here.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":22goilt3 said:
Richardson is the wrong kind of receiver for this offense IMO. His strengths lie in route running, and quick cuts, he's the type of player that would look great in a timing offense like Green bay. He's not particularly good at improvising or coming down with contested balls, both of which were very important to the Seahawks in the past.

Need Steve Smith.

firebee

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":2qpopb1p said:
Spin Doctor":2qpopb1p said:

Need Steve Smith.

Steve Smith from the Ravens or Steve Smith that used to play for PC at USC and the Giants.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Wenhawk":vtrdd9qq said:
What stings even more is that a handful of other rookie Wrs have been doing much better.

Would love to have Kelvin Benjamin or Martavious Bryant. even Allen Robinson, Jordan Matthews, Devonte Adams.

I was going to say something, and you beat me to it.

Rookie WRs are having an unprecedented impact this year. Thing is, other teams pass a lot more than us. There are limited catch opportunities with this offense, and if you don't get them, or squander the few you get, it makes a bigger difference.

Also figure that Richardson was sitting behind Harvin, and that we changed our entire passing offense for Harvin (I don't know why, Harvin can go deep easily). We aren't the same offense as last year, where we took our shots downfield. So now Richardson has to play a bit of catch up for game experience, establish chemistry in the middle of the season with Wilson, while our OL is a turnstile of injuries.

I'm not worried about him. He'll catch up; his route running and attitude are pretty polished for a rookie.

Norwood is the one I'd like to see some accelerated growth from. He has a different skill set from any of our other WRs, and we need to utilize it.

Besides, if we needed to throw deep and take the top off of a defense, Lockette is more than adequate to the task. Thing is, we're not using Lock that way either, so I can't put the blame on Richardson for not beating guys deep.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
firebee":24sagjqk said:
NFSeahawks628":24sagjqk said:
Spin Doctor":24sagjqk said:

Need Steve Smith.

Steve Smith from the Ravens or Steve Smith that used to play for PC at USC and the Giants.

Steve Smith from the Ravens/Panthers didn't want to be here, he had his chance and declined. Also pretty good history with him and our DB's (Sherman) going at it during games from playing each other every year for the past 2-3 years. Same reason I don't expect Crabtree to want to come to SEA during the off-season.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
firebee":1n7bbkel said:
Wenhawk":1n7bbkel said:

Those other guys don't have retarded offensive coordinators developing passing plays with horrible route designs, intent and progressions. Our receivers are not the problem. Bevell is the problem.
BINGO! When you have the worst OC in the NFL, it will only retard a rookie's contribution.
The day Bevell leaves is the day this offense gets significantly better.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
There are about 10-15 rookie WRs I would trade Richardson for in a heartbeat. This regime has shown very little ability to make good selections at WR with their draft picks, and while the jury is still out on Richardson, he is not as talented as his rookie WR peers. Another missed opportunity

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
They need to find a way to get him in the game. Just putting him on kick returns isn't enough.

Right now it's hard to work out what he brings to the team. Yeah he's running certain routes, but his skill set (short, skinny) is just so unthreatening.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
seabowl":vujelhit said:
I know he is a rookie but I have to admit I think he has been a disappointment thus far. With such a need for a WR to step up, it is even more important for him to perform. I just don't see the unbelievable separation speed as was advertised and he even lost his KR job to Baldwin today. I have noticed that he is a willing blocker downfield which is a plus but I was expecting more of a contribution from him thus far. So far, Desean Jackson he is not.
Patience is a virtue, my fellow Seahawks fan, as it's a little early to quit on P-Rich... we are not that far removed from the Pussy Harvin farce.
Richardson's development was sidelined for the ungrateful 'ME FIRST' Harvin, and it's going to take a little longer for the kid to get on track.
And too, Bevell will need to work him into the "Run First" play scheme philosophy.