Patrick Lewis

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
HawkerD":2wcisf6b said:
WilsonMVP":2wcisf6b said:
kearly":2wcisf6b said:
I hope he's earned the job permanently this time. He was pretty good at center in 2014 too.

I was so confused when he wasnt the starter...I had thought he did good when he played last year and then they just hand it to a rookie, like WTF

Just another instance of PC thinking he is smarter than he actually is. It's high risk high reward thinking. It's what got us to the promised land from such a hell hole that mora and holmgren left us. But now that that the Hawks have arrived it about maintaining and it's time to moderate the risk. Simply can't afford any more drafts like 13 & 14 or Ike giving the center job to nowack. If Lewis had started from the get go we would be battling for the division
Disagree with you as it concerns risk. To me that's middle mgmt ass covering type of thinking and a fast track to mediocrity. If that were how John and Pete operated Seattle wouldn't have traded for Graham who was really starting to fit with the Hawks nor would they have traded several picks to move up to get Lockett. Yes, the drafts in 13 & 14 don't look good but every GM misses on picks and it looks like 15 will be a winner.

I agree with you about Lewis however. After a couple of games, the Nowak experiment should've been shelved. There's risk and then there's bullheadedness.

Dizzlepdx

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1hbyhezd said:
HawkerD":1hbyhezd said:
WilsonMVP":1hbyhezd said:
kearly":1hbyhezd said:
I hope he's earned the job permanently this time. He was pretty good at center in 2014 too.

I was so confused when he wasnt the starter...I had thought he did good when he played last year and then they just hand it to a rookie, like WTF

Just another instance of PC thinking he is smarter than he actually is. It's high risk high reward thinking. It's what got us to the promised land from such a hell hole that mora and holmgren left us. But now that that the Hawks have arrived it about maintaining and it's time to moderate the risk. Simply can't afford any more drafts like 13 & 14 or Ike giving the center job to nowack. If Lewis had started from the get go we would be battling for the division
Disagree with you as it concerns risk. To me that's middle mgmt ass covering type of thinking and a fast track to mediocrity. If that were how John and Pete operated Seattle wouldn't have traded for Graham who was really starting to fit with the Hawks nor would they have traded several picks to move up to get Lockett. Yes, the drafts in 13 & 14 don't look good but every GM misses on picks and it looks like 15 will be a winner.

I agree with you about Lewis however. After a couple of games, the Nowak experiment should've been shelved. There's risk and then there's bullheadedness.

As much as I love a good coach/mngmt bashing every once in a while, I think I should point out that Lewis started against Carolina, but got rolled up on in the game and had both knee and ankle problems. So Nowack went back to starting till Lewis was healthy enough to play.

(I thought about making this a really snarking post but figured I'm just as likely to be working off of incomplete information myself at some point, so hopefully this will boost my karma)

Scottemojo

Reaction score
The post about Cable may be filled with snark, but is it that far off base?
Not only did they tab Nowak as the starter, when they declared Lewis the starter Pete and Cable made sure to hang him not being the starter all year on him for as they said, not developing his communication skills. Forget what he did last year, it was his communication skills they said kept him from starting this year, and at one point, relegated him to the bottom of the depth chart.

I never bought that. If center being a good communicator were so damn important, then Russ would not have been tasked with the line calls, Nowak certainly didn't have the experience to make them.

They had a plan to have an uber athletic center (see drafting of Sokoli) and were going to get it done no matter what. A Sweezy in the middle to be next to the Sweezy at RG. And it was hubris. Whether you want to hang that on Pete or Tom is up to you, but Tom has gotten his way with linemen for pretty much the whole time he has been here.

Alexander

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1r45us9a said:
The post about Cable may be filled with snark, but is it that far off base?
Not only did they tab Nowak as the starter, when they declared Lewis the starter Pete and Cable made sure to hang him not being the starter all year on him for as they said, not developing his communication skills. Forget what he did last year, it was his communication skills they said kept him from starting this year, and at one point, relegated him to the bottom of the depth chart.

I never bought that. If center being a good communicator were so damn important, then Russ would not have been tasked with the line calls, Nowak certainly didn't have the experience to make them.

They had a plan to have an uber athletic center (see drafting of Sokoli) and were going to get it done no matter what. A Sweezy in the middle to be next to the Sweezy at RG. And it was hubris. Whether you want to hang that on Pete or Tom is up to you, but Tom has gotten his way with linemen for pretty much the whole time he has been here.

The way they handled the center situation this offseason and preseason was just baffling to me. I don't mean that I disagreed, I mean that, to an outside observer, it was just plain incoherent.

When they traded Unger, didn't they specifically name drop Patrick Lewis as a potential replacement? Certainly his performance last year was one reason I was okay with the trade. Then training camp and preseason roll around, and you don't hear a word about Lewis. It's all about the competition between Nowak and Jeanpierre. Then at the end of the presesason, Nowak gets the starting job, Lewis is the backup, and LJP is not even on the roster. Then after the early season O-line issues, Lewis replaces Nowak, who gets cut, and LJP is the backup. Talk about musical chairs! And when Lewis got the job back, didn't Cable make some weird comment about how guys don't lose their job to injury? Does anyone even know what the heck he was talking about?

The whole thing just made no sense. Makes me really wonder what was going on behind the scenes.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I say lets get him an extension before he gets to pricey!

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Tom Cable was on Sirius yesterday. It was enlightening, and only backed up my feelings about it being him who is behind the line issues. He has some autonomy on the line that few line coaches have.

First, there was almost no mention of Nowak. Little of Lewis. But he talked at length about what he wants in a player, which is athleticism and attitude. No fat guys who lean on people. Lewis is far from a fatso leaner, but he is no attitude athlete either.

Also, and he said it modestly, but Tom wants a HC gig again. And after he said it I knew why he didn't talk about the failures of earlier in the year. It was more an airing of the resume than an interview.

Latest posts