Overtime rule

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
hawknation2014":ep93penw said:
I wouldn't mind seeing a rule change. I prefer the college way in which the 2nd team has a chance to match or exceed the other. If we had lost a coin flip and Manning had scored a TD, wouldn't you want to see Russell Wilson given the opportunity to match that?

No. If our defense can't stop the Denver offense from driving down the field and scoring a TD in overtime then we don't deserve an opportunity to match it.

All the media hand-wringing about this is pathetic. There is no way we'd be hearing anything about changing the rules if Denver had driven down and scored. It would just be pundit after pundit falling all over themselves praising Manning for his gritty comeback and what a great competitor he was and how he was the best ever and how his tears cure cancer and whatnot. But no, since Manning didn't get to play in overtime then OBVIOUSLY we've got to change the rules. Barf.

And for the record, I absolutely HATE the college overtime system and hope the NFL never goes that route. If a team can drive down and score a TD in overtime then they should win, simple as that.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Shadowhawk":104ysm10 said:
hawknation2014":104ysm10 said:
I wouldn't mind seeing a rule change. I prefer the college way in which the 2nd team has a chance to match or exceed the other. If we had lost a coin flip and Manning had scored a TD, wouldn't you want to see Russell Wilson given the opportunity to match that?

No. If our defense can't stop the Denver offense from driving down the field and scoring a TD in overtime then we don't deserve an opportunity to match it.

All the media hand-wringing about this is pathetic. There is no way we'd be hearing anything about changing the rules if Denver had driven down and scored. It would just be pundit after pundit falling all over themselves praising Manning for his gritty comeback and what a great competitor he was and how he was the best ever and how his tears cure cancer and whatnot. But no, since Manning didn't get to play in overtime then OBVIOUSLY we've got to change the rules. Barf.

And for the record, I absolutely HATE the college overtime system and hope the NFL never goes that route. If a team can drive down and score a TD in overtime then they should win, simple as that.

Consider the hypothetical of an overtime between two equally bad defenses. In that scenario, the game would be decided by whomever happened to win the coin flip, since only that offense and the opposing defense would see the field under the current overtime rules. Is a coin flip a sufficient determinant for overtime?

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
hawknation2014":2r9ckab4 said:
Shadowhawk":2r9ckab4 said:
hawknation2014":2r9ckab4 said:

Consider the hypothetical of an overtime between two equally bad defenses. In that scenario, the game would be decided by whomever happened to win the coin flip, since only that offense and the opposing defense would see the field under the current overtime rules. Is a coin flip a sufficient determinant for overtime?

Consider this hypothetical scenario: Tails never fails. Manning burns our vaunted defense In OT. Wilson never gets a shot. ESPN continues to sing praise of the Manning legacy.
Do you think the Overtime rules would be a heated discussion?

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":rriwzkyb said:
hawknation2014":rriwzkyb said:
Shadowhawk":rriwzkyb said:
hawknation2014":rriwzkyb said:

Consider this hypothetical scenario: Tails never fails. Manning burns our vaunted defense In OT. Wilson never gets a shot. ESPN continues to sing praise of the Manning legacy.
Do you think the Overtime rules would be a heated discussion?

Probably not. I know I would be in favor of the change regardless.

Jiggy

Reaction score
hawknation2014":1mhj0rhu said:
Shadowhawk":1mhj0rhu said:
hawknation2014":1mhj0rhu said:

Bad defenses is something for the coaches and players to fix on the field. Not for the NFL to minimize through rules changes.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Jiggy":3kk7j93t said:
Bad defenses is something for the coaches and players to fix on the field. Not the NFL through rules changes.

It wouldn't be "fixing" the bad defenses. Rather, it would be fixing the disproportionate advantage in winning the coin flip, allowing both offenses and defenses to compete on the field in overtime.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":1l67zfeq said:
If your defense can't stop a TD drive, you didn't deserve to win.

On the other hand, does the opposing defense deserve to win just because they happened to win the coin flip, keeping them off the field?

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Peyton's defense let him down, not the rule. The Denver D had to protect an end zone 80 yards away, and they couldn't do it. You're telling me that isn't a fair shot?

bmorepunk

Reaction score
The OP's version of what he heard on ESPN is the basis for all of this?

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Immediately after the game I saw the donkey fans start whining about OT rules.... :roll:

The current OT rules are fine, as to someone saying both the offense and defense needs to be represented in OT, why?

They've been representing the team for 60 minutes of regulation, both have been represented plenty. And one has to be on the field last when the game ends.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":2uurxz73 said:
Peyton's defense let him down, not the rule. The Denver D had to protect an end zone 80 yards away, and they couldn't do it. You're telling me that isn't a fair shot?

In my view, what's "fair" would depend on whether our defense could stop their offense from matching our TD in overtime. Otherwise, the coin flip is deciding it.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
hawknation2014":18uoweug said:
AbsolutNET":18uoweug said:

In my view, what's "fair" would depend on whether our defense could stop their offense from matching our TD in overtime. Otherwise, the coin flip is deciding it.

Should the league throw out the game clock and just go with an even number of possessions for a regulation game? If you want to win games, you need to be solid on both sides of the ball. Give Denver a 2nd place trophy if that's your mentality, but their D gave up a long drive that doesn't often happen in this league because going 80 yards for 6 points is pretty damn difficult. I'd say our offense earned that win by completing that drive, it was impressive as hell

Birdfinger

Reaction score
It seams like the argument is that the offensive side of the ball is what makes a team. If this was true I would be behind amending the OT rules 100%. But its not.

Defense is just as important. More so if you believe in the old adage that "defense wins championships."

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
hawknation2014":1f9s9nxg said:
Sarlacc83":1f9s9nxg said:
If your defense can't stop a TD drive, you didn't deserve to win.

On the other hand, does the opposing defense deserve to win just because they happened to win the coin flip, keeping them off the field?
A team that won the coin flip still has to put an offense out there that can score a TD!
A field goal doesn't win it. Special teams can still change the field with a fumble or onside kick.
It was NOT dependent on a coin flip given that Seattle had trouble with the Broncos defense in the second half and Broncos passing offense was unstoppable in the last two drives.
If overtime means both teams could only put their OFFENSE on the field in overtime and NOTHING ELSE and a coin flip decides who scored first then yes it would be unfair.
I can't believe people are listening to mediots like LaVar Arrington and Tim Hasselbeck with their anti Seahawks/ anti-RW spin.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
From an academic standpoint, has anybody compiled numbers on the coin toss winner versus game winner since they implemented the new OT system? It would be interesting if we could see the method of winning and distributions on possessions.

The old system wasn't as bad as people made it seem; the coin toss winners won the game roughly 60 percent of the time. Has it moved closer to even with this new system?

hawknation2014

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":2bxvzg61 said:
hawknation2014":2bxvzg61 said:
AbsolutNET":2bxvzg61 said:

Should the league throw out the game clock and just go with an even number of possessions for a regulation game? If you want to win games, you need to be solid on both sides of the ball. Give Denver a 2nd place trophy if that's your mentality, but their D gave up a long drive that doesn't often happen in this league because going 80 yards for 6 points is pretty damn difficult. I'd say our offense earned that win by completing that drive, it was impressive as hell

Teams have some control over how they manage the game clock. The coin flip is totally arbitrary.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
hawknation2014":1ljivhhk said:
AbsolutNET":1ljivhhk said:
hawknation2014":1ljivhhk said:
AbsolutNET":1ljivhhk said:

Teams have some control over how they manage the game clock. The coin flip is totally arbitrary.

So is whether or not you'll play a non-divisional team at home or on the road.

There's really not a better way to do it from a process standpoint. The only way to do it "fairly" would be to have a full OT system like the NBA; the clock runs out and continued ties means another OT. Having seen a couple of college games go into an insane number of OTs, this seems like a really bad idea.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
bmorepunk":fcspl5dc said:
From an academic standpoint, has anybody compiled numbers on the coin toss winner versus game winner since they implemented the new OT system? It would be interesting if we could see the method of winning and distributions on possessions.

The old system wasn't as bad as people made it seem; the coin toss winners won the game roughly 60 percent of the time. Has it moved closer to even with this new system?

After the rule change, 66% of coin toss winners won in overtime during the 2012-13 season (16/24). That's a significant advantage.

http://plus.maths.org/content/toss-overtime

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Rest assured, this rule will be changed again next offseason, all because of poor wittle Peyton.

It's hysterical how the league bends over backwards to appease this guy and try to line up all the pieces in the perfect row for him to win another ring.

If the Broncos wanted the ball back, they should have stopped Russell Wilson. Period.