Overtime rule

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The idea behind the new rule WAS to make it more fair, because since like 1994 the team that won the coin flip has won the game 60% of the time.

Now there's a decided strategy to the coin toss. If you win you can get the ball first and try and score a TD to win, or you can defer so that you know what your offense has to do (kick FG to continue game or try and score TD to win outright).........that can be a big advantage.

So the intent of the new rules was to give a strategic advantage to both teams, regardless of who wins the coin toss.

JaiSeaSea

Reaction score
Cartire":3sf7vr4o said:
HAHA, I just read a comment from a pft article on this...

"T Jacks is a 99 on coin toss you just can’t beat that."

Now thats funny.

T-JAX for the WIN!! I know he didn't call the toss but who cares!!!

Seahawk

Reaction score
Largent80":11gyhbbz said:
TwilightError":11gyhbbz said:
I just love this discussion.

-The Seahawks demolish Broncos in Super Bowl -> change the PI rules.
-The Seahawks win Broncos in overtime -> change overtime rules.
-Welker busted for drugs-> Change the rules.
-The Seahawks 12s are so loud -> invent a noise rule

Anyone recognize a pattern?

I added one.
I added one more.
The noise rule is no longer enforced, but I'm wondering why there is so much Seattle hate in the NFL.

Zybot

Reaction score
At some point the game has to end. I say keep it the way it is. I would say that if we lost too.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Even if the Packers had gotten another shot in OT to match our TD, they wouldn't have been able to.

They didn't score a TD after the 1st quarter, and they didn't score any TDs once they stopped starting with the ball in our territory on every drive.

Our D really did do amazing in this game. No way was GB going to get a TD in OT.

253hawk

Reaction score
Packers were scared in the red zone all day. Even if they scored a TD after us in OT (not likely with the way the defense had been all second half) they weren't stopping the next drive by Seattle. They had no problem putting up back to back 50-burgers on the Bears and the Eagles, but had zero killer instinct when it came to playing the champs and played with shriveled little testicles.

Too bad, so sad.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
So how does this non elite quarterback with pedestrian receivers on our sucky offense always seem to drive the field for a touchdown in overtime. I guess our #1 defense helped them there as well. Sarcasm off.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
The current OT rule is one of the few good things that has happened under Rog's reign. All Denver and GB had to do was hold Seattle to a FG, to get a possession. If you give up a TD on the first possession of OT you deserve to lose, and I'd say that if the Hawks D did the same thing as GB's did yesterday...