Overconfident?

UGotHawked

Reaction score
jake206":20zpwwtq said:
Never an elite team?? Come on. Chiefs were undefeated for most of the season. They had a highly ranked defense comparable to the Hawks defense. Both Hawks and Chiefs lost to Luck on incredible performances. I think there are alot of parallels between both teams.

You gotta be kidding! The Chiefs had 1 quality win in the first 9 games, then after the bye, played 6 quality opponents including the playoff game and lost them all. Nice comeback season for them, but they got exposed.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
REASONS TO BE CONFIDENT:

Out of the 8 teams left in the Play-Offs the Seahawks RANK

#1 in Total Defense (Yards Allowed)
#1 in Total Defense (Points Allowed)
#1 in Total Defense (Yards Per Play)
#1 in Total Defense (Turnovers)
#3 in First Downs Allowed

#1 in Passing Defense (Yards Allowed)
#1 in Passing Touchdowns Allowed
#1 in Passing Yards Allowed Per Attempt
#1 in Interceptions (by far, closest team has -8)
#4 in Sacks (#3 in Sack%, could be higher in terms of Overall Pressure)
#1 in QB rating Against
#3 in Comp% Against

#4 in Rushing Defense (Yards allowed)
#1 in Yards/Carry (Tied with DEN, SFO)
#2 in Yards/Attempt
#1 in Rushing TDs allowed

OFFENSIVELY:

#3 in Total Yards
#3 in Scoring
#4 in Yards Per Play
#3 in Turnovers (Tied with 2 other teams)

#6 in Passing Yards
#4 in Passing TDs
#2 in Passing TD%
#2 in Least Ints Thrown
#1 in Yards Per Attempt
#2 in Adjusted Yards Per Attempt
#2 in Net Yardage Per Attempt
#4 in Adjusted Net Yards Per Attempt
#2 in Yards Per Catch
#4 in QB Rating

#2 in Rushing Yards
#4 in Yards Per Attempt
#4 in Rushing TDs

Only Negatives:
#6 in Interception%
#7 in First Downs
#8 in Sacks Allowed
#8 in Sack Allowed%

SPECIAL TEAMS:

#2 in Field Goal%
#4 in FG scoring
#8 in Yards Per Punt
#2 in Longest Punt (we know Ryan has a powerful leg)

#1 in Yards gained per Punt Return
#8 in Yards gained per Kick Return (w/ Harvin and/or Baldwin it has to be #1)
#1 in Punting Yards Allowed Per Return
#4 in Kicking Yards Allowed Per Return

Out of 45 categories listed the Seahawks ranked:

Amongst the top 4 teams 38 times (bottom 4: 7 times)
Amongst the top 3 teams 28 times (bottom 3: 7 times)
Amongst the top 2 teams 23 times (bottom 2: 5 times)
Amongst the #1 team 15 times.......(the worst: 4 times)

Sure we have faults, every team in the Play-Offs does, but Seahawks are still pretty awesome and they are at the CLINK with the 12th man with their backs.

We are 15-1 @ Home with Wilson at QB.

Seahawks also haven't lost at Home in the Post-Season since 2004 to the Rams, I believe. 5-0 in our last 5.

So yeah we have every right to be optimistic, to be confident, to be cocky, and to simply be amazed at what this team has accomplished and continue to support them.

People can have their doubts, no ones stopping you, just sort of get to the back wall, and keep out of the way of the people who are celebrating the success and quit calling them out because you have your concerns. AND yes we know we haven't won it yet, but its just like a New Year's Eve Party. People don't start dancing at 11:59 pm, no they celebrate, have fun, get wild, parade around in festivity for many hours before that final moment where they can erupt and bask in the glory of the New Year.

Just because the Seahawks haven't reached their New Year, doesn't mean we can't enjoy the party as long as we are still in it.

Also, everyone should know if they don't already:

FAN CONFIDENCE DOES NOT = TEAM ARROGANCE

The team knows what is at stake and how much this city wants a championship team, but they control their own destiny. Its win or go home.

All we can do is choose to be the optimist or pessemist about it. I will always choose optimism.

MattyBrownHawk

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

First post here.

I always had a crush on the Hawks after watching that BS Superbowl against the Steelers

I have been reading this forum for around a year, and started properly supporting the Hawks at the start of the 2012 season. I loved the jerseys, was excited about Wilson, BeastMode and always thought Seattle looked a cool city with amazing fans)

I only really got into football in 2011 after I got SKY, the only real broadcaster of games here (I live in the UK). Only the Super Bowl is shown on non-subscription channels.

For some reason I am nervous about the Saints game. Sean Payton is such a gambler, and I can just imagine a crazy onside kick working for the Saints and basically winning them the game. Then again, we battered them last time so let's do it again!

Go Hawks!

warden

Reaction score
Saints 4th in offense, 4th in defense, have won 12 games so far this season, have Dree Brees,, sure sounds like a formable opponent to me. It is going to be a battle.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":1etrzg1h said:
How many times are we going to have to read this on this message board this week? Makes me want to puke!

I agree. I love people pretending the fans matter. Or that they know what the players are thinking.

:pukeface: :pukeface: :pukeface: :pukeface: :pukeface: :pukeface: :pukeface: :pukeface: :pukeface:

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
warden":2g7y5dqg said:
Saints 4th in offense, 4th in defense, have won 12 games so far this season, have Dree Brees,, sure sounds like a formable opponent to me. It is going to be a battle.

Have you checked the road vs home splits for the Saints & Brees?

Do it and you will be confident.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
The NFC has gone chalk so far in the playoffs, the only real "upset" was San Diego, but that's only if you believed in Andy Dalton. Yes, the Hawks can be beaten by the Saints, but it would be an upset.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":38xzqtua said:
Bigpumpkin":38xzqtua said:
How many times are we going to have to read this on this message board this week? Makes me want to puke!

I agree. I love people pretending the fans matter. Or that they know what the players are thinking.

:pukeface: :pukeface: :pukeface: :pukeface: :pukeface: :pukeface: :pukeface: :pukeface: :pukeface:

Lol - just like how people have confidence in things they have no control over.

When people say to focus on the Saints, it isn't with the understanding that they have something to do with it but just merely trying to say the game can be lost.

Besides - all you are doing by overlooking the Saints is depriving yourself the full joy of a potential playoff victory - which don't come all that often.

Moreover, Carolina and San Fran are pretty even so it'll be tough to really get hyped for two possible hypothetical games even if you are confident in things you have no control over.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Wow, what a great newsflash, the Hawks need to be focused and not over-confident. Thanks for the info.

And WE don't play for the Hawks, so the fans can be as cocky as they want, the team will be focused.

OP
OP
J

jake206

Reaction score
Its funny how many repost are associated w/ fan related overconfidence, when the original post didn't even mention fans in the sentence. Be overconfident, cocky, Joe Superfan, etc. ..never said not to. Knock yourself out. FYI, modern NFL players do utilize twitter and watch ESPN. They don't live in a bubble. They might not care, but they aren't deaf or blind to media hype.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
jake206":2635xg49 said:
Its funny how many repost are associated w/ fan related overconfidence, when the original post didn't even mention fans in the sentence. Be overconfident, cocky...never said not to. Knock yourself out. FYI, modern NFL players do utilize twitter and watch ESPN. They don't live in a bubble. They might not care, but they aren't deaf or blind to media hype.

Start patting yourself on the back for that 'I told you so' post that's coming in the unlikely event of a negative outcome.

Overconfidence is not a problem and it will never be. Lack of focus? Maybe, but it's the NFL playoffs, these games don't just jump on you without you looking.

There's not a single team in the playoffs who thinks anything is given to them or that it will be just a walk in the park. Fans being confident and going on twitter telling players will have ZERO effect.

ZERO.

UGotHawked

Reaction score
TDOTSEAHAWK":30loqp6m said:
ImTheScientist":30loqp6m said:
Bigpumpkin":30loqp6m said:

Lol - just like how people have confidence in things they have no control over.

When people say to focus on the Saints, it isn't with the understanding that they have something to do with it but just merely trying to say the game can be lost.

Besides - all you are doing by overlooking the Saints is depriving yourself the full joy of a potential playoff victory - which don't come all that often.

Moreover, Carolina and San Fran are pretty even so it'll be tough to really get hyped for two possible hypothetical games even if you are confident in things you have no control over.

On the counterpoint, isn't it also funny how some other people wring their hands over things they have no control over?

OP
OP
J

jake206

Reaction score
Nothing is ever zero. It maybe negligible, but not zero.

capncrunch

Reaction score
As to the Saints. Yes. I think they are a good team. Yes. I think it would be a mistake to take them too lightly for the Seahawks. No. I don't think the Seahawks will take them too lightly. Yes. I think that does happen some times. No. I don't think it matters if the fans under or overestimate an opponent. It is fun to be kind of cocky.
We have earned that this year. I am not a big gambler really, but I think betting puts things in to perspective. If forced at gunpoint to bet on the outcome of this game. I would pick the Hawks. If forced I would go with the Hawks up to about a 14 point spread. (We're giving the points) If forced with odds without points I would take the Hawks up to a hmm. Say 7-1.

rjdriver

Reaction score
As the de facto leader of this team, does anyone think that Russell Wilson would allow the Seahawks to take a team lead by one of his mentors lightly? No way.

If we lose, it will be due to uncharacteristic turnovers, uncharacteristic drops, or an unexpected injury. These happen in football, but we will be ready.

I respect the Saints. I think their coach is an excellent in game manager, IMO better than Pete, but we are the better team. I like our chances.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
From Pete's appearance on KIRO radio this morning:

@BradyHenderson: Pete Carroll on #Seahawks avoiding being overconfident in rematch w/ Saints given how last game went: "That will be a point of emphasis."

IndyHawk

Reaction score
The Saints barely beat the Eagles,what was there in that game to be afraid of this weekend?Not a thing..Just stop Graham and cover Sproles ..Nothing happens if those 2 are stopped..

Kixkahn

Reaction score
amill87":jvg7kdop said:
jake206":jvg7kdop said:
After seeing Kansas City's season end so soon, I wouldn't place any team's Superbowl bid as a sure thing.

huh? Chiefs aren't and never were an elite team this season. They deserved to lose in the first round.
The Chiefs were on a downward spiral at the end of the season, I wasn't surprised at the loss. However getting as far ahead as they were is a pathetic loss. Most of the season they were saying the Chiefs had one of the best defenses.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
We don't play the game the players do, and no I won't be any less confident.

Seahawks roll, put money on it.

jack_patera

Reaction score
I am confident as hell....borderline overconfident....my seahawks are the best in the league...they bring it, all's I do is applaud it...and i'll do plenty of it this Saturday...prediction: not even close...hawks 34 aints 20