Outcoached?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
sc85sis":2jsb6yui said:
Pete is now 3 for 4 against Belichick. How many coaches can say that?
PLUS, the Patriots were spotted seven points right out of the gate, and still couldn't put HC Pete's team away. :irishdrinkers:

OP
OP
Ad Hawk

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3izzcvcg said:
And how lucky was Cam to not have TWO pick 6's from Dunbar? Very

How much of that is on coaching and how much on the individuals? Hard to know?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Psst...........Belichick outcoaches everyone.

How do you think he wins SB's with 80% of his roster inferior to his opponent's. Other than Gilmore, you'd have to get to player #9 or 10 on that field last night before you'd get to another Patriot.

capncrunch

Reaction score
I don't think Pete was outcoached. I am not sure he called the deep ball on the 3rd and 1. He probably didn't tell Carson to slide in bounds just before the two minute warning either. I think he figured out where Cam was going to run on the last play. You get some head scratchers with BB in some games too. Good game. Man, can we have one that isn't a nail biter?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Makes you appreciate the Atlanta game a lot more. That was a much easier win. Shoot, it was a 20 point lead with 3:45 left (final Hawks TD)

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":3m7i8y2s said:
SmokinHawk":3m7i8y2s said:
Proudly driving the "Let Russ Cook" bus since his rookie season. Had we not, we'd have lost the game tonight, no doubt in my mind.

His one INT was a fluke. Olsen butterfingered a completely catchable ball for that pick six, and the NE defender was able to make the play.

What's Russ at now? Nine TDs in two games?

For god's sake he is the second coming of Football Jesus, let the man cook.

Are you suggesting they didn't let Russ do his job tonight? Or was tonight evidence they are?

He only had 28 pass attempts for 288 yards vs. 30 rush attempts for 154 yards. That's fairly balanced. And while 5 TDs is fantastic, how the TD's come--rush or pass--is really irrelevant.

How much of tonight's offensive success is coaching and how much was just RW pulling rabbits out of his deep top-hat?

What about defense?

Defense was a liability.

Russell cooked and is being allowed to cook this season. The result? Back to back 30 point wins against quality teams.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
To be fair Belichick outcoaches everyone. Pete's never been an X's and O's guy so its difficult to compare. His strength appears to be as a motivator. In the end Pete got the win with a stop made by a third string safety.

shecky

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3uhdanaz said:

How do you think he wins SB's with 80% of his roster inferior to his opponent's. Other than Gilmore, you'd have to get to player #9 or 10 on that field last night before you'd get to another Patriot.

Disagree. Edelman's a flat-out stud. And one of the most under-appreciated players in the league, IMO.

LTH

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":jwf2jpc8 said:
Makes you appreciate the Atlanta game a lot more. That was a much easier win. Shoot, it was a 20 point lead with 3:45 left (final Hawks TD)

I really dislike the prevent D... I understand why they use it but it skews the numbers and makes me sweat...

LTH

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
You and me both, it's REALLY hard to watch. But, late 1st quarter, Diggs gets sent packing. After that, you gotta' think they were a little more nervous about blitzing Adams. It changed the entire way the D was playing.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I wouldn't say Pete got out-coached last night. I can't think of any glaring errors where I thought "what are we doing?" and that happens a lot in Hawks games, especially with time management. At the end of the first half for example, Pete knew exactly what he was doing using a time out to take one last shot on O knowing a punt would pin the Pats deep without enough time to do anything with it.
As for the third down pass, I guess you can argue it should have been a run (then if we do and it's stuffed, people are saying it was too predictable) but as per Russ's post game comment throwing deep was not the first option but looks like his other options were taken away.
And they say that in-game injuries are the hardest to deal with, having to adjust in game on the fly. Pete had to deal with losing 2 starters on D.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
shecky":1s5a9cyo said:
Sgt. Largent":1s5a9cyo said:

Disagree. Edelman's a flat-out stud. And one of the most under-appreciated players in the league, IMO.

Wilson
Carson
Lockette
Metcalf
Wagner
Diggs
Adams
Brown

There you go, 7-8 players that you'd take on your roster before Edelman, especially considering his age as a WR. I'd also probably take guys like Dunbar, Griffin and Blair if I was starting team, so I was being generous with the 9 or 10 players.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Reaneypark":228ll8an said:
Pete guessed right on the final play and called the perfect D for it. (I’ll credit him more than Norton.) So when it mattered, he outcoached Bill.

Yup, my sentiments exactly, based on all the data that's come out now about that final play. Pete anticipated McDaniels's call, called the right defense, and had his great players (Wagner) make a play, while other guys did their job and finished it off.

Really a terrific matchup between the great coaching minds of NE (Belichick and McDaniels) and the great coaching mind of Pete Carroll, with Schottenheimer having a great coaching performance and Norton doing enough to win. Credit Norton for the way Jamal Adams was used, throwing in backups and rookies and having them do their job credibly when DBs went down, just a fantastic effort all around. And it took all of the coaching excellence Seattle could muster to win the game on one final, deciding play.

We also lost Bruce Irvin for the last part of the game, after losing two safety/CB players, so our defense was several players down for a long stretch in the 2nd half, and boy did NE do everything possible to exploit that. Our D especially missed Diggs, so Pete and Norton had to scheme around that, then had to plug in Amadi to deal with losing Blair.

Also credit Pete with coaching accomplishments in player development, like DK Metcalf abusing Stephon Gilmore, David Moore making a key play on 3rd down, Freddie Swain contributing a receiving TD (off a brilliant play design by Schotty), using Carson as a receiver for a TD, LJ Collier and Lano Hill playing solidly and making a big play when it mattered most.

I mean, you could go on and on and on about this heavyweight coaching matchup, and all the coaching excellence, in all facets, on display last night, on both sides. Pete Carroll & Co. came out on top by the most razor-thin of margins.

The sad thing is, one play different, Cam makes a better read on that last play, and instead we're talking about how the game has passed Pete by, and other rubbish like that, instead of Pete and his staff's overall excellence.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I cannot imagine any coach or football fan that would rather the NE roster over the Seattle one.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
olyfan63":2y0sda18 said:
The sad thing is, one play different, Cam makes a better read on that last play, and instead we're talking about how the game has passed Pete by, and other rubbish like that, instead of Pete and his staff's overall excellence.

Your last sentence summed up the history of the NFL where championships and dynasties hang on “one play.”

That’s why this game is so damned compelling.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Pete outcoached Bill.

Can you imagine if we lost that way? The "Let russ cook" fans would of rioted. Or the 3rd down and 1 play with game on the line and pete had carson run....oh wait.

Russ is my favorite qb of all time but sometimes the hate on pete is too much.