onside kick

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
With the way the entire team mailed it in on Saturday, the onside kick near the end of the game reminded me of how much I hate that they changed the rules on them. After the 2017 season they changed the onside kick rules. The success rate plummeted from a 21% success rate to 6% in 2018. This season it was 4%. Why even bother? At least give teams a chance. With the onside kick rules the way they are now, the Seahawks never would have won the NFCCG vs the Packers.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Yeah, that is something the competition committee should look at in the off season. There needs to be something done, it's basically impossible to recover one now.

sutz

Reaction score
They definitely made it basically irrelevant. They could probably improve things with a couple of tweaks, but with the strict rules on where players can be on the kickoff gives the results we see, it's basically impossible in a situation where the receiving team knows it's coming. Essentially kickoff formations are set by rule.

Sure, they want fewer injuries on kickoffs, but they've definitely gone too far.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Agreed. The only remedy is for kickers to master the perfect onside kick...Where the ball bounces awkwardly for a few feet and then pops straight up, high enough to give the onside kicking team a chance for it. We've all seen it happen, but it must be extremely difficult to master hence why it's rare.

OP
OP
oldhawkfan

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
My understanding is that they changed it to help eliminate injuries. In all the years I've watched football, I don't remember any injuries resulting from onside kicks. I'm sure there were some but the percentage had to be lower than that from basic offensive/defensive plays.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Just to clarify a few things, the onside kick rule changes were kickoff rule changes made in the name of safety on normal kickoffs. The impact to onside kicks was simply a consequence of those rule changes, and why they have been toying around with kickoff alternatives over the last two off-seasons. The leading proposal has been from the scoring team to get a 4th and 20 from their own 25, but ideally the down and distance would be adjusted over time to match a ~10% success rate.

Second, the impact to onside kicks has actually been much more severe when you look at just the expected onside kicks. No team won a game in either 2018 or 2019 (0-104) when they were forced to try an expected onside kick. Something does need to change to make comebacks more likely as the game is most exciting when there's a small chance of a surprising finish.

Lastly, in the meantime posters need to be aware of the difficulty of onside kicks and factor that into their opinions about prevent/soft defenses and fourth quarter garbage time offensive stats. If we have to try an onside kick then we weren't really that close in the game in the first place, and if our opponent has to try an onside kick then they didn't "almost win it." Milking the clock in the 4th quarter is more effective right now than it is has ever been in NFL history.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
They changed the rule to reduce injuries with kickoffs in general. Easy solution, make it so you can declare on onside kick and in those situations allow the old rules. If you declare an onside kick and kick it deep then the play is blown dead and the ball placed on the 45 yard line first down receiving team.

Optimus25

Reaction score
The old way sucked too.

I want the 4th and 15 option. If you convert you keep the ball.