OL movements and adjustments under Solari??

seedhawk

Reaction score
Considering who we have, and who we had coaching them, I vote to give all of them a clean slate and allow Solari to sort it out. Might even want to look into bringing back some of the last 3 years cuts/releases.

Atradees

Reaction score
True, I have no true feelings on any of these guys. They all looked not together and though britt gets alotta hype around here he was clearly part of the problem.

chris98251

Reaction score
I am sure Solari is watching all the film he can get on our guys already and has been, they have to hit the ground running, I can imagine a lot of phone calls to guys telling them that they need to do something to change their body or review a new technique.

OTA's will be a whole lot different for a lot of players, nobody has a safe job, all you have to do is look at the Coaching staff to know.

Fade

Reaction score
STARTERS
LT Brown - LG Free Agent Vet - C Britt - RG Pocic/Roos - RT Ifedi

RESERVES
Roos/Pocic
Fant
Drafted Rookie
Some other guy
-----

1) I expect Pete Carroll to hype up all the returning starters they have coming back.

2) Guys like Roos are going to have to kill it in the competition to get a starting spot. If it is anywhere close they will choose to stick with the returning starter.

3) Fant unfortunately is coming off an ACL. They are not going to throw him to the lions and start him day 1. They are going to give him time to recover further, and let him develop more behind Brown. Changing systems isn't going to help him either. Week 8 or so they will look to insert him as a starter potentially if Ifedi continues to struggle. The only way he gets in earlier than that is injury. Depending on how he looks they may just keep him behind Brown the whole year. Have to see what he looks like first.

4) Overall a real stabilization of the line can happen with 4 returning starters, and an upgrade at LG over Joeckel.

5) You will see less whiffs, less penalties, and more clean pockets.

6) Expect more variation to the run game besides inside zone, outside zone, rinse & repeat.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
I'd like to see them beef up Pocic. That dude is a little light in the ass.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
original poster":1sgdhhim said:
There’s so so many possible variations, intrigued to hear people’s different takes, good topic.

I heard that the whole OL is expendable barring Brown so no doubt we see some kind of shuffle.

Will Ifedi be moved to guard?

Will Ifedi even be a starter?

Will Pocic be the C after a Britt trade/cut?

Do they try and draft early (again)?

Be very interesting to see how it pans out. I’m now totally confident in the coaching. No doubt the 5 starters in week 1 will still be the starters in week 6 excluding the obvious potential for injuries.

As long as we recruit Football players and play the players we recruit in the positions they've proven to be sucessful. Bye Fant, Ifedi better figure out how to cut the penalties, Keep Britt and Pocic. Draft a BTF for left tackle. I'll take some heat for this, but adios brown, we can get decent protection for half your price.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Fade":xpsegenu said:
STARTERS
3) Fant unfortunately is coming off an ACL. They are not going to throw him to the lions and start him day 1. They are going to give him time to recover further, and let him develop more behind Brown. Changing systems isn't going to help him either. Week 8 or so they will look to insert him as a starter potentially if Ifedi continues to struggle. The only way he gets in earlier than that is injury. Depending on how he looks they may just keep him behind Brown the whole year. Have to see what he looks like first.

In best case scenario, Fant can spare Brown with some snaps. That could prolong Brown's wear and tear and also allow Fant to gain some valuable experience. That's assuming Fant is up to it.

getnasty

Reaction score
I'm not oppose to bringing Joeckel back on a lesser deal, he didn't set the world on fire but he wasn't horrible. I have to think they'll move Ifedi back inside and start Fant at RT. Pocic looks like a tackle so maybe they give him a shot out there too.

original poster

Reaction score
getnasty":130ynyiy said:
I'm not oppose to bringing Joeckel back on a lesser deal, he didn't set the world on fire but he wasn't horrible. I have to think they'll move Ifedi back inside and start Fant at RT. Pocic looks like a tackle so maybe they give him a shot out there too.

I'd take him in the $3-4M range. Maybe $5M at a push.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Solari has a hell of a job ahead of him a lot of bad habits to coach out of these guys. It will be interesting to see them draft a guard to play guard for once and a tackle who can only play on one side of the field.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
May be Solari will give Joey Hunt and Jordan Roos some looks? Those two are undersized by Cable standard but prototype size for C and G according to Solari. Hopefully, Roos can become our RG.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
With all due respect to Fant--I have nothing against the guy personally--but I would expect almost any other O-line coach to ask what the hell a college basketball player is doing in his offensive line room.

It's clear that Cable's logic was on another planet, so who the hell knows who Solari even wants to keep. Though since he can't turn over the whole roster, I guess he's stuck with these guys.

That said, I hope to God Solari can make starters out of Pocic and Ifedi, otherwise that's two more high draft busts wasted on the O-line. I'd like to see Pocic take over at center, and Britt and Ifedi at guard. With Brown on the left, that only leaves the right tackle spot open to whoever earns it.

Mojambo

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":3528wspq said:
I don't know what kind of chemistry Wilson and Britt have, but I'd like to see Pocic get some looks at Center, which he seemed good at at LSU. That would free up Britt to take a Guard position.

This is my preference as well.

original poster

Reaction score
Mojambo":kzarrif0 said:
WindCityHawk":kzarrif0 said:
I don't know what kind of chemistry Wilson and Britt have, but I'd like to see Pocic get some looks at Center, which he seemed good at at LSU. That would free up Britt to take a Guard position.

This is my preference as well.

Yeah interesting idea. I like it.

I’d hazard a guess that Pocic at C & Britt at G is better than Britt at C and Pocic at G.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Boy, the thought of Britt moving back out to guard, where he found so little success, is a little hard to imagine at this point. He always struck me as a guard, and I thought he was horribly miscast at tackle. Maybe in a new system, he will find the success at guard, that many of us thought he would have.

I suppose it would be appropriate to keep moving him left, guard this year, and our all-pro LT next. :sarcasm_off:

I still like Ifedi, and I have high hopes for him. I think a move inside would be best.

I don't see our right tackle on the roster, and I think we end up drafting for this position. I don't think Orlando Brown falls to us, and I'm not sure I want him. Some have McGlinchey going late in the first, and I would be pretty happy with that. He is potential franchise LT material. I wouldn't mind picking him up and starting him at RT this year, with an eye toward moving to the left side when we part ways with Duane Brown.

Joeckel seems like dead weight to me. We have plenty of capable guards that give us more than 90% of what he does, and they cost 1/10th them amount.

Fant? Man, that kid better show this offseason. I still don't know what we have in him. He didn't have a particularly stellar start, and who knows what he would have done last year. I haven't seen anything to make me think he deserves a place on the line, and I think the Hawks did him a big dis-service by trying to convert him. Much as I hate to do it, I don't see a place for him next year.

I'm guessing it looks something like this.
Brown - Pocic - Britt - Ifedi - Draft Pick.

I could see Pocic and Britt switching places in that lineup.

original poster

Reaction score
Whatever happens, I’m a LOT more confident we will have the best 5 guys in the most suited position under Solari than under Cable.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Total curve ball here:

I would prefer to have a shorter C and a pair of shorter Gs, that would help Wilson a little bit. C and G do not need length like T, no particular advantage to have 6'6" or 6'7" dudes playing those positions especially in our case.

Solari seems to favor shorter G for leverage, Solari coached and learned with Bobb McKittrick, who favored quickness over bulk. (From 1979 to 1999, McKittrick coached the San Francisco 49ers offensive line. During his 21 years with the 49ers, the team won five Super Bowls (Super Bowl XVI, Super Bowl XIX, Super Bowl XXIII, Super Bowl XXIV, and Super Bowl XXIX) and 13 NFC West championships.[1] McKittrick is one of only four coaches, the others being George Seifert, Ray Rhodes and Bill McPherson, to be a part of all five of the 49ers' Super Bowl-winning teams.

McKittrick's success derived from his ability to get the most effect out of unheralded talent. The 49ers' offensive line that won the various Super Bowls consisted of only one player drafted in the first round.
)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccJFoOm ... e=youtu.be

So if Hunt is adequate, I will start Hunt at C with Pocic as backup, Similarly Roos at RG. Trade Britt since he has trade value, hope and pray that Ifedi improve enough under new coaching to hold down RT. Brown back to his probowl self at LF. All we need is a LG.

My "hahaha" shortie lineup:
LT - Brown; Fant
LG - draft pick or free agent; Pocic
C - Hunt, Pocic
RG - Roos, Pocic
RT - Ifedi, Fant

Fade

Reaction score
I would like to point out the team has recently gone through hell with young O-Lineman.

Which adds another point in Britt's favor to stay on the team.

I also think it will lead SEA to being fairly aggressive in Free Agency to add a starting caliber O-Lineman. They don't want to feel the pressure of having to come away with a starter in the upcoming draft.

Potential targets:

G Justin Pugh - Solari had him in NY. I expect him to be Seattle's #1 target.
G Andrew Norwell - Probably more of a pipe dream than anything, he will be the most expensive.
G Zach Fulton - 4 yr starter at Guard. Still only 26.
G Josh Kline - More of a consolation prize if they miss out on the top tier Guards.
G Jahri Evans - If Seattle misses out on the guys they wanted entirely, Jahri Evans could fill in fine as a 1 yr rental.

These guys are potential targets only if Ifedi is moved to Guard. Which I don't see happening, but I might as well list them in case they choose to go that route.

RT Ja'Wuan James - Huge upgrade over Ifedi, but will also bring a huge price tag. Young.
RT Cameron Fleming - Can also start at LT. Young.
RT Chris Hubbard - 1 yr starter with Pittsburgh, did well. Young.

I stand by my OP in this thread on what I think Seattle will do.

Personally though I would target: Pugh, Norwell, Ja'wuan James, & Cameron Fleming. Come away with 2/4. (1 Guard, 1 Tackle) Cut/Trade Britt to save cap space, move Pocic to Center. Extend Duane Brown which would lower his cap number in 2018.

LT Brown - LG Pugh - C Pocic - RG Ifedi/Roos - RT Fleming

I think Seattle will go this route though.

LT Brown - LG Pugh - C Britt - RG Pocic/Roos - RT Ifedi