OL movements and adjustments under Solari??

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Seanhawk":oaa6drs7 said:
I'd like to see them beef up Pocic. That dude is a little light in the ass.

I find it funny saying that a man who’s over 300 pounds, he’s a little light in the ass.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Fade":1z4h36zc said:
LT Brown - LG Pugh - C Pocic - RG Ifedi/Roos - RT Fleming

I think Seattle will go this route though.

LT Brown - LG Pugh - C Britt - RG Pocic/Roos - RT Ifedi

I like the Pugh+Fleming lineup, Britt is adequate but not great enough to be untouchable.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Just a quick thumbup to Coffee and Fade. Good thoughts.

It’s been so long since we’ve struck line gold in free agency, that I totally forgot to even consider that possibility.

May have to rethink, although I’m still on the move Ifedi inside and draft a right tackle (future L tackle) train for now.

There are a couple of decent prospect that I think will fall to us.

massari

Reaction score
Fade":1b6d6fml said:
Personally though I would target: Pugh, Norwell, Ja'wuan James, & Cameron Fleming. Come away with 2/4. (1 Guard, 1 Tackle) Cut/Trade Britt to save cap space, move Pocic to Center. Extend Duane Brown which would lower his cap number in 2018.

They were gonna roll with Fant as the starting LT before he got hurt, so won't they feel good about him starting at RT?

Liking the idea of trading Britt for cap room and going with Pocic.

Norwell/Pugh and Brown on the left side with Carson and Guice/Ronald Jones/Chubb ect would be a game changer on offense. :179417:

Justin Pugh

Ja'Wuan James isn't a free agent until 2019 though.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
massari":3pwqbm1x said:
Fade":3pwqbm1x said:
Personally though I would target: Pugh, Norwell, Ja'wuan James, & Cameron Fleming. Come away with 2/4. (1 Guard, 1 Tackle) Cut/Trade Britt to save cap space, move Pocic to Center. Extend Duane Brown which would lower his cap number in 2018.

They were gonna roll with Fant as the starting LT before he got hurt, so won't they feel good about him starting at RT?

Liking the idea of trading Britt for cap room and going with Pocic.

Norwell/Pugh and Brown on the left side with Carson and Guice/Ronald Jones/Chubb ect would be a game changer on offense. :179417:

Justin Pugh

Ja'Wuan James isn't a free agent until 2019 though.

Pugh is a huge upgrade over Joeckle.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Now we have this...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/CHawk_Talk/status/954117220782632961[/tweet]

Fade

Reaction score
Pugh had to play at RT this year because of injuries, which affected his grade. He is much better at LG.

He still did way better than anything Seattle has rolled out at RT since Sean Locklear.

Pugh is a good player, but in the context of this O-Line, he is a massive upgrade.

Here's hoping.

Fade

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":id0ytgyu said:
Now we have this...

Very interesting. If Walter Jones said it, then you know it's true.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":257f5pgh said:
Now we have this...

Walter Jones seems to have confidence that our existing OL could produce better result? In another words, Cable was the problem.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Any news on George Fant? That would impact if we need to draft a Brown successor unless Fant's the future of LT.

xgeoff

Reaction score
Here's what I'd like to see:

LT: Duane Brown -- This guy is the real deal. You saw that as soon as he stepped on the field for us, then you saw him struggle slightly under Tom Cable's influence. I think with Cable gone he will recover to be the anchor of this line.

LG: Jordan Roos -- Honestly I haven't looked closely at this guy's tape, so I'm going on hearsay. I heard a lot of good things about his play when he had opportunities during the season.

C: Justin Britt -- He had a down year but I think he can be solid with the right Coaching. I've seen him do some good things over the past two years.

RG: Ethan Pocic -- From what I saw this year I think he has potential but really needs to develop his strength and power.

RT: George Fant, Mitch Hyatt (R) or Isaiah Wynn (R) -- I really liked George Fant before he went down, but the criticisms of him are legitimate. He is athletic but seems to lack fundamental concepts of blocking, like angles and leverage. Which really surprised me because, as a basketball player, he should be able to think about blocking in terms of man-to-man defense and blocking out. Ah, well, I'd give him a chance but there are two tackles I really like in this draft, namely Mitch Hyatt from Clemson and Isaiah Wynn from Georgia. Notice Ifedi is nowhere to be seen. That is because he was terrible at A&M, before Cable ever got ahold of him. Can Solari fix/help him? Maybe. Hopefully. I just have never seen him show that he has a fundamental understanding of how to block, either at the pro level or college. He's just got the measureables. I say f*ck the measureables, you have to have ability and an understanding of the game and the position!

So, lot of question marks, I know. A lot of this counts on Solari being some sort of lineman-whisperer. That's fine, I'm cautiously optimistic. This line doesn't need to be good, just average. I will tell you all this: Leonard Fournette would have done NOTHING behind our line this year. He would have been hit 3 yds deep in the backfield and would have struggled like the rest of them. In Jacksonville, they had a very average line. Here are the guys: Cam Robinson, Pat Omameh, Brandon Linder, AJ Cann, Jermey Parnell. Any of those guys jump off the page at you as All-Pros? They've got a lot of accolades this year because of Fournette, but the truth is that they are an average line with an awesome back. And Fournette is awesome. All you need to do is get him to the Line of Scrimmage, which is what they do.

Their pass protection is mostly average I believe, though they looked like studs against Seattle's anemic rush.

My point is that you don't need superstars. None of these JAX guys are super highly compensated. Linder makes a little less than Duane Brown, Parnell makes less than Britt, the rest are all payed peanuts. They didn't have to be great, they had to be good enough, and they were.

I'm really hoping Solari can turn this thing around. If he can at least protect Russ, I'll take it. The Seahawks, IMO, were more capable than any other team in the NFC playoffs except for two areas: Kicker and Offensive Line/Run Game. This year was a lost opportunity because of a few stupid decisions by the FO and the Coaching Staff.

massari

Reaction score
It's pretty clear the OL needs to be improved everywhere, but the interior really stands out here in the run game.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/JeffRatcliffe/status/961262614671175681[/tweet]

chris98251

Reaction score
massari":1893xr30 said:
It's pretty clear the OL needs to be improved everywhere, but the interior really stands out here in the run game.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/JeffRatcliffe/status/961262614671175681[/tweet]

I would say everywhere was bad, 1.5 minimum seems to be the breaking point between decent and good.

adeltaY

Reaction score
How long is Fant under club control?

Also, Britt at guard is a big no no. He struggled at center this year, so moving him back to guard sounds like a mistake. Even if he was better, he would still be pretty bad.

Geoff, I really like your post about the JAX OL. I've been wondering the same thing. There are NO excuses for how shit our line has been when you see how cheap the Jags OL is and they invested lesser draft picks than we did! They also stonewalled the Pats (not saying much), and the Steelers (led the league in sacks!), so they did well when it counted. My dream would be to see a considerable jump in OL play just by switching to Solari

original poster

Reaction score
adeltaY":2f9mqmhf said:
How long is Fant under club control?

Also, Britt at guard is a big no no. He struggled at center this year, so moving him back to guard sounds like a mistake. Even if he was better, he would still be pretty bad.

Geoff, I really like your post about the JAX OL. I've been wondering the same thing. There are NO excuses for how shit our line has been when you see how cheap the Jags OL is and they invested lesser draft picks than we did! They also stonewalled the Pats (not saying much), and the Steelers (led the league in sacks!), so they did well when it counted. My dream would be to see a considerable jump in OL play just by switching to Solari

Fant is a restricted free agent in 2019.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
I know Walter is probably enjoying his well-earned retirement, but man it would be great to see him come back to consult or coach. Even in a minor role. "Ya'll better score or I'm going to kill you", right? That's the kind of motivation and tenacity we need.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Fant is already 6 months into recovery, the minimum recovery time, I bet he is already chomping at the bit to get going if not already. Great benefit for him to sit behind and watch Brown.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Not sure Fant makes sense on the right side. LT is more finesse, RT is more about power.

sdog1981

Reaction score
I would not be surprised to see Fant cut in camp along with a 100% player turnover in 3 seasons.