Offensive Line Options

titan3131

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":1s3t8fpa said:
toffee":1s3t8fpa said:
I for one am not convinced that Joeckel is an upgrade over Fant.

That's fair. They have roughly the same amount of experience at the position. Doesn't mean the move isn't worthwhile. Joeckel was a bit unlucky with injury. Which stunted development. And the weight of his draft position didn't help. In all, he's not the kind of player that should give us a warm sense of security. Really, there weren't ANY tackles in UFA that would have provided that. Price was good. There is upside. And one thing we can say, is that we definitely won't be worse than last year. Let the crucible of competition work its magic and prod either Fant or Joeckel to improvement.

toffee":1s3t8fpa said:
Call me a homer, but I rather take my chance with Fant, as bad as he was last season.

That may well happen. Joeckel's signing could be a valuable element in Fant's improvement. If Fant makes that sophomore jump in efficiency that is common in this league -- Joeckel is not a sunk cost. He has significant position flexibility. And has admittedly performed better at OG. Although that improvement could just as easily be explained by his having manned that position as a 3rd and 4th year veteran as opposed to an injury limited rookie/sophomore seasoned player.

If Fant does improve -- Great! Now we have a better LT and a potential upgrade at OG

If Fant doesn't improve -- Great! We have the option to go a different route. Fant was thrust into the lineup because simply we had no other alternative.

I think best case scenario is this:

LT: Fant improves (whether by second offseason work, Joeckel pushing him, or a combination of both).
LG: Glowinski improves (second season starting, competition from Joeckel/Aboushi) or is succeeded by either.
C: Britt continues on his path.
LG: Manned by the better of Joeckel/Aboushi/Glowinski).
RT: Ifedi improves (second offseason and a year of starting experience) and competes/wins at RT.

Don't judge the value of Joeckel merely on his prospects of elevating our LT play by supplanting Fant. There are many levels on which to judge his contributions to this team that have nothing to do with him playing LT this season.

Recent talk and comments from coaching staff makes it seem as if they really like Joekel @ LG. I think LT will be a FAnt Gilliam Competition

LT Fant / Gilliam
RG Joeckel
C Britt
RG Oday
RT Ifedi

This is how I think it ends up shaking out.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
He is a terrible tackle but he only needs to be an average guard to upgrade that position. This still leaves us with jail break and havoc coming around both ends and that's when we line up against average pass rushers.

xgeoff

Reaction score
brimsalabim":3dz0mtxz said:
How can you possibly consider the Jockel signing to be an upgrade? He is just more of the same.

This signing has me shaking my head. I really like John Schneider but _what_is_he_thinking_? Joeckel couldn't start for the Jags. The Jags!

Honestly, I don't have a problem bringing him in under a 'prove it' contract. But he gets $7 million guaranteed. WTF!

He has been generally regarded as bad since he came into the league, and lost his starting job for a team that has been piss poor.

I don't get it, and it annoys me practically every day...

xgeoff

Reaction score
brimsalabim":320qiwrx said:
He is a terrible tackle but he only needs to be an average guard to upgrade that position. This still leaves us with jail break and havoc coming around both ends and that's when we line up against average pass rushers.

I don't think paying $8 million for an 'average' guard is a smart move. In fact I think it's the opposite.

Why the heck did we ever let Jahri Evans go!?

xgeoff

Reaction score
toffee":33e65jt2 said:
I for one am not convinced that Joeckel is an upgrade over Fant. OK, both sucked, but Joeckel was given seasons by Jags to develop at LT due to his high draft position, he failed. Fant was an 'accidental' LT, lol, he had no business being a starting LT, or even a 2nd string LT. Fant had no experience whatsoever, of course he struggled. Especially towards to end of regular season and in the post season when teams studied him and game planned accordingly.

I kind of remember Fant sucked in the beginning, didn't know how to play OL at all.
Then he gotten somewhat better, after learning some basic.
Then he sucked again, after teams adjusted after studying films on him.

After a season of learning on the job and an off season of more learning and conditioning. If Fant's confidence hasn't been contaminated, he ought to be better than last season. That could put him in the mid tier of LTs. I would like it if Fant could play:

1. with less thinking, ie more down with Technic and playbook.
2. develop more strength, especially lower body.
3. learn how to use his hands better.
4. hopefully with less thinking, ie quicker and stronger will lead to more aggression.

Call me a homer, but I rather take my chance with Fant, as bad as he was last season.

I'm with you on all of this. Frankly, if we had been able to get TJ Lang, or someone even reasonably good, that would have been different. I see nothing on Joeckel that indicates he is any good.

Someone take a note: do not draft Offensive Linemen from Texas A&M

xgeoff

Reaction score
Seafan":2wx9icys said:
I like what the Hawks have done to address the OL. Faced with a dearth of talent in FA/Draft they have done enough to help the team considering.

The OL is going to be better this season.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2017/3/14/149 ... l-was-good

The run game needed improvement and the Hawks have addressed that. Adding Lang would have been a sure fire way to improve the run blocking and interior pass blocking but it didn't happen. It doesn't mean that both won't be improved.

Frankly, one of the things that infuriated me the most about this FA offseason is how John Lynch was able to acquire a good C/G in Jeremy Zuttah from the Ravens for next to nothing (they swapped 6th round picks).

Zuttah makes $3.5 million a year. C'mon John, your better than that!

Seymour

Reaction score
xgeoff":2mosuwo4 said:
brimsalabim":2mosuwo4 said:

I don't think paying $8 million for an 'average' guard is a smart move. In fact I think it's the opposite.

Why the heck did we ever let Jahri Evans go!?

I agree. Also, we let Evans go because Cable is in charge. Enough said.

RiverDog

Reaction score
brimsalabim":2byfeoo8 said:
How can you possibly consider the Jockel signing to be an upgrade? He is just more of the same.

He may not be. But the mere fact that he was a #2 overall means that he has a high ceiling, higher than any lineman currently on our roster. And as devoid of talent as we are on the OL, you don't have to bring in an All Pro to upgrade our squad, so the bar is set pretty low as far as being an upgrade over guys like Fant and Gilliam.

Giblien

Reaction score
I'm so fed up with the oline situation. I don't even want to hypothesize about it. I just want to see another game where our QB is even marginally protected.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
titan3131":3dvjmiu5 said:
Recent talk and comments from coaching staff makes it seem as if they really like Joekel @ LG. I think LT will be a FAnt Gilliam Competition

LT Fant / Gilliam
RG Joeckel
C Britt
RG Oday
RT Ifedi

This is how I think it ends up shaking out.

Nice call. Schneider confirmed today on Sirius XM radio interview. Oday to RG. Ifedi to RT.

Jville

Reaction score
Restoring the outside zone blocking to complement the inside zone is job one for Tom Cable.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Perhaps the title of this post should be updated with news of the announced offensive line moves.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/SheilKapadia/status/847143121859362818[/tweet][tweet]https://twitter.com/Curtis_Crabtree/status/847116435146981376[/tweet][tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/847109477056704512[/tweet][tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/847109328460922881[/tweet]

c_hawkbob

Reaction score
Jville":32g0sr1a said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/847109328460922881[/tweet]

Throw in a draft pick or two and I like what we have going on this year a lot better than the last couple.

Hyak

Reaction score
The interesting aspect of the group right now is the versatility of the group. Joeckel can play LT and LG. Glowinski has played both G spots. Gilliam is capable of playing both LT and RT. Ifedi can play G or RT. Odihambo can play LG and LT. With Fant, how much of a leap can he make from year 1 to year 2?

The challenge will be how quickly they can formulate the preferred group to work from.

chris98251

Reaction score
JTB":2lr12vr1 said:
The interesting aspect of the group right now is the versatility of the group. Joeckel can play LT and LG. Glowinski has played both G spots. Gilliam is capable of playing both LT and RT. Ifedi can play G or RT. Odihambo can play LG and LT. With Fant, how much of a leap can he make from year 1 to year 2?

The challenge will be how quickly they can formulate the preferred group to work from.

Game 9, count on it, Cable likes to play musical Lineman till then.

Seymour

Reaction score
chris98251":2teiybaa said:
JTB":2teiybaa said:

Game 9, count on it, Cable likes to play musical Lineman till then.

+1 to the tenth power

Someone gets his sad game....

nash72

Reaction score
Jville":39i3j8c5 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/847109328460922881[/tweet]

This ought to be a familiar sight this season.

16511863.jpg