Offensive Line Options

Josea16

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":hi1kdps4 said:
Josea16":hi1kdps4 said:
Yeah that is the issue draft someone really good were we are fine or take advantage of completely reloading the defense at spots not usually easily done because everyone is trying to copy us.

This draft has great options in the 15-40 range. But it also has some good prospects in the 40-75 range.

It wouldn't require we burn #26 to address adequately. Although point is valid that adding Lang would have given us full flexibility with our top 5 picks elsewhere.
I'm totally good with getting a good tackle if they drop even enough to do a reasonable trade up. I just don't see it actually being a possibility though.

lobohawk

Reaction score
I like Dunlap better than Fluker and think the OT position is a bigger need. Was hoping for right Tackle help, but this might do if the price is right.

Hawk Finn

Reaction score
RussB":28btbzw5 said:
Isnt vollimer still available?

He's likely retiring.

Wasn't McGovern a hot draft name a couple years back?

RussB

Reaction score
Hawk Finn":14uvzk3w said:
RussB":14uvzk3w said:
Isnt vollimer still available?

He's likely retiring.

Wasn't McGovern a hot draft name a couple years back?
Dont know but here are most of all the available guys as of now.

Nick Mangold C 33 NYJ
King Dunlap LT 31 LAC TBD -
Ryan Clady LT 30 NYJ
Brandon Fusco G 28 MIN
Breno Giacomini RT 31 NYJ
Sebastian Vollmer RT 32 NE
Gosder Cherilus RT 32 TB
Andre Smith RT 30 MIN
Tim Barnes C 28 LA
Chris Chester G 34 ATL
Byron Bell RT 28 TEN
Austin Pasztor T 26 CLE
Matt McCants RT 27 CHI
Joe Hawley C 28 TB
Jermon Bushrod G 32

I think clady and dunlap are worth looking at.

Hendo66

Reaction score
RussB":2xmjhp0g said:
original poster":2xmjhp0g said:
RussB":2xmjhp0g said:
Trade jimmy g for a guy like joe thomas.

Awful idea.

Jimmy had nigh on 1000 yards last year. With our WR corps where would that leave us?
Were did graham get is us in the playoffs? Because last i remember the falcons mauled our o line and graham had like 2 catches. And that was the story alot of games. Id rather have a good line.

That's a question for Bevell.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
How can you possibly consider the Jockel signing to be an upgrade? He is just more of the same.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Seafan":107dbunu said:
There may be a veteran that gets released late spring or early summer that could interest the Hawks. Giacomini and Clady are also still out there.
When it comes to the offensive line cut bait has not been getting it done. Why would any rational thinking person want to continue down that same route?

Seafan

Reaction score
brimsalabim":1kcufoqh said:
Seafan":1kcufoqh said:
There may be a veteran that gets released late spring or early summer that could interest the Hawks. Giacomini and Clady are also still out there.
When it comes to the offensive line cut bait has not been getting it done. Why would any rational thinking person want to continue down that same route?

It may be all the Hawks have left this season. The best three tackles of a horrible draft class will be long gone and there are no FA tackles out there worth the money right now. But one may become available later. Why can't a rational person understand that? Wait, they can.
't

chris98251

Reaction score
Really I look at it as Cable needs to earn his money and get these guys NFL ready.

Seafan

Reaction score
I like what the Hawks have done to address the OL. Faced with a dearth of talent in FA/Draft they have done enough to help the team considering.

The OL is going to be better this season.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2017/3/14/149 ... l-was-good

The run game needed improvement and the Hawks have addressed that. Adding Lang would have been a sure fire way to improve the run blocking and interior pass blocking but it didn't happen. It doesn't mean that both won't be improved.

Josea16

Reaction score
brimsalabim":idwky6s9 said:
How can you possibly consider the Jockel signing to be an upgrade? He is just more of the same.
He's better then Fant or Gilliam objectively correct? Go ahead .Net GM JS "Show Me" your awesome moves considering the real 2017 FA OL market. I'm waiting and seriously hope you are right (not possible). I suggest Plan B the Missouri plan "Show Me" or plan C "Dance Monkey" entertain me.

Seafan

Reaction score
Josea16":38hfckk6 said:
brimsalabim":38hfckk6 said:
He's better then Fant or Gilliam objectively correct?

More experience, college and pro.

Josea16

Reaction score
Seafan":uqfa5uji said:
Josea16":uqfa5uji said:
brimsalabim":uqfa5uji said:

Duh. Tell me something I don't know. Friggen Basketball players on OL? Pure stupid and I hope Cable gets fired after we actually give him actual people that played NFL OL decently. Just don't make it because Russell gets a career ending injury.

hawxfreak

Reaction score
Lang just bought a house and moved his family to Detroit and it's his hometown supposedly so we were never getting him.
we were there to get more cash for him and it worked.
a trade of someone or something besides graham or a move up in the draft is probably what we are going to do.
I wouldn't be shocked if we moved down to get more pics if they see somebody under the radar as that seems to be our M.O.
I actually think we might get a 7th round pick for marshawn from the raiduz but that's all.
Finding need and trading to a team with a desperate gm would be great but not everybody's bellicheat.
I see extending players now and pushing money forward while having more to spend currently , hurts us later if it doesn't pan out .
Every scenario comes back to us using a players ability and adjusting the gameplan to fit what they do best works but that isn't D.B.s way of doing things , so unless the guys we have now learn to play better we are sorely effed up
The moral of the story is we are going to have to make a move that might not be appealing to make the rest of this work I.E. trading someone valuable as much as it hurts to say or fricken ride it out and get as many ( value guys ) as we can and see what shakes out
Only 5 more months of this crap , WOOHOO :sarcasm_off:

toffee

Reaction score
Seafan":fq6002tb said:
Josea16":fq6002tb said:
brimsalabim":fq6002tb said:

A lot was talked about Joeckel's issues dealing with power at left tackle and how he needed to get stronger. Watching Friday night though, it didn't seem like actual strength was Joeckel's issue. He held up fine, and overall wasn't noticeable. As a guard, if you're not noticeable, that's generally always a good thing because it means you likely didn't make any big mistakes. When Joeckel switched to left tackle late in the game however, there was a shocking contrast from his play at guard. Immediately rookie fifth-round pick Tyrone Holmes put him on roller skates, getting into his body on a bull rush. A few plays later Joeckel was absolutely embarrassed by Bjoern Werner, who by all accounts has no shot whatsoever to make the Jaguars roster because he's been so bad.

All of Joeckel's previous issues manifested themselves when he moved back to left tackle and had to play in space. He got beat right away with power, then got caught thinking and was beaten around the edge with speed. It was night and day from being noticeable to sticking out like a sore thumb.

hawk45

Reaction score
Josea16":3660wd0e said:
brimsalabim":3660wd0e said:
He's better then Fant or Gilliam objectively correct? Go ahead .Net GM JS "Show Me" your awesome moves considering the real 2017 FA OL market. I'm waiting and seriously hope you are right (not possible). I suggest Plan B the Missouri plan "Show Me" or plan C "Dance Monkey" entertain me.
"He was the only option" does not equal "he was a good move" or "he is an upgrade".
Logic fail doesn't go well with rude.

toffee

Reaction score
I for one am not convinced that Joeckel is an upgrade over Fant. OK, both sucked, but Joeckel was given seasons by Jags to develop at LT due to his high draft position, he failed. Fant was an 'accidental' LT, lol, he had no business being a starting LT, or even a 2nd string LT. Fant had no experience whatsoever, of course he struggled. Especially towards to end of regular season and in the post season when teams studied him and game planned accordingly.

I kind of remember Fant sucked in the beginning, didn't know how to play OL at all.
Then he gotten somewhat better, after learning some basic.
Then he sucked again, after teams adjusted after studying films on him.

After a season of learning on the job and an off season of more learning and conditioning. If Fant's confidence hasn't been contaminated, he ought to be better than last season. That could put him in the mid tier of LTs. I would like it if Fant could play:

1. with less thinking, ie more down with Technic and playbook.
2. develop more strength, especially lower body.
3. learn how to use his hands better.
4. hopefully with less thinking, ie quicker and stronger will lead to more aggression.

Call me a homer, but I rather take my chance with Fant, as bad as he was last season.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
toffee":21ftmu1a said:
I for one am not convinced that Joeckel is an upgrade over Fant.

That's fair. They have roughly the same amount of experience at the position. Doesn't mean the move isn't worthwhile. Joeckel was a bit unlucky with injury. Which stunted development. And the weight of his draft position didn't help. In all, he's not the kind of player that should give us a warm sense of security. Really, there weren't ANY tackles in UFA that would have provided that. Price was good. There is upside. And one thing we can say, is that we definitely won't be worse than last year. Let the crucible of competition work its magic and prod either Fant or Joeckel to improvement.

toffee":21ftmu1a said:
Call me a homer, but I rather take my chance with Fant, as bad as he was last season.

That may well happen. Joeckel's signing could be a valuable element in Fant's improvement. If Fant makes that sophomore jump in efficiency that is common in this league -- Joeckel is not a sunk cost. He has significant position flexibility. And has admittedly performed better at OG. Although that improvement could just as easily be explained by his having manned that position as a 3rd and 4th year veteran as opposed to an injury limited rookie/sophomore seasoned player.

If Fant does improve -- Great! Now we have a better LT and a potential upgrade at OG

If Fant doesn't improve -- Great! We have the option to go a different route. Fant was thrust into the lineup because simply we had no other alternative.

I think best case scenario is this:

LT: Fant improves (whether by second offseason work, Joeckel pushing him, or a combination of both).
LG: Glowinski improves (second season starting, competition from Joeckel/Aboushi) or is succeeded by either.
C: Britt continues on his path.
LG: Manned by the better of Joeckel/Aboushi/Glowinski).
RT: Ifedi improves (second offseason and a year of starting experience) and competes/wins at RT.

Don't judge the value of Joeckel merely on his prospects of elevating our LT play by supplanting Fant. There are many levels on which to judge his contributions to this team that have nothing to do with him playing LT this season.