OFFENSIVE LINE HELP PLEASE!!!

firebee

Reaction score
This line looks horrible... Let's face it. Flag drawing, assignment missing, beat off the snap ragtag offensive line is what I'm seeing. The trade deadline has passed and nothing is left in free agency, so let's get creative...

Brett Jones - Calgary Stampeders Center - 2013 CFL Rookie of the Year - Can play OG or Center - Played for University of Regina in Canada for 4 years. What would it take to bring this guy in?

Somebody get John Schneider on this.

kidhawk

Reaction score
firebee":3kv2sqoi said:
This line looks horrible... Let's face it. Flag drawing, assignment missing, beat off the snap ragtag offensive line is what I'm seeing. The trade deadline has passed and nothing is left in free agency, so let's get creative...

Brett Jones - Calgary Stampeders Center - 2013 CFL Rookie of the Year - Can play OG or Center - Played for University of Regina in Canada for 4 years. What would it take to bring this guy in?

Not that our regulars are top notch group, but to be fair, we had the equivalent to a 4th string center, 3rd string guard and 2nd string tackle playing yesterday, coupled with not having our best blocking TE and our starting FB.

We should be getting Okung and Unger back this week and hopefully Carpenter as well. Tukuafu will get better as he gets more in tune with our offensive plays.

Basis4day

Reaction score
The ZBS the Seahawks run is openly difficult to learn. No one new player not familiar with it is going to make a lick of difference.

OP
OP
F

firebee

Reaction score
kidhawk":2wpet6dw said:
firebee":2wpet6dw said:

Not that our regulars are top notch group, but to be fair, we had the equivalent to a 4th string center, 3rd string guard and 2nd string tackle playing yesterday, coupled with not having our best blocking TE and our starting FB.

We should be getting Okung and Unger back this week and hopefully Carpenter as well. Tukuafu will get better as he gets more in tune with our offensive plays.

I'm not making this statement based on yesterday's game. I'm making this statement based on every game we've played this year. Our offensive line sucks. I don't want Carpenter back. He's single-handedly responsible for half the flags this offensive line has racked up this year. His footwork sucks, he can't sustain blocks in pass protection and he's not the greatest at making blocks in the 2nd level. He gets holding calls because he can't use good footwork to stay in front of a block. He gets false starts because he has to try getting a jump to get on his block. How often have you seen Carpenter make a good block 5-10 yards downfield to spring a run? If his assignment only requires him to blow a defensive lineman out of the gap long enough for a back to get through, he's a great lineman. He's a liability in every other aspect of the game though. He's got great size and strength, but his footwork just sucks. I simply don't understand everybody's infatuation with him. He's a completely one-dimensional offensive lineman.

OP
OP
F

firebee

Reaction score
Basis4day":19dqtupg said:
The ZBS the Seahawks run is openly difficult to learn. No one new player not familiar with it is going to make a lick of difference.
Not immediately, but by the time the playoffs roll around?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
firebee":8f0qz5dj said:
kidhawk":8f0qz5dj said:
firebee":8f0qz5dj said:

I'm not making this statement based on yesterday's game. I'm making this statement based on every game we've played this year. Our offensive line sucks. I don't want Carpenter back. He's single-handedly responsible for half the flags this offensive line has racked up this year. His footwork sucks, he can't sustain blocks in pass protection and he's not the greatest at making blocks in the 2nd level. He gets holding calls because he can't use good footwork to stay in front of a block. He gets false starts because he has to try getting a jump to get on his block. How often have you seen Carpenter make a good block 5-10 yards downfield to spring a run? If his assignment only requires him to blow a defensive lineman out of the gap long enough for a back to get through, he's a great lineman. He's a liability in every other aspect of the game though. He's got great size and strength, but his footwork just sucks. I simply don't understand everybody's infatuation with him. He's a completely one-dimensional offensive lineman.

So you're blaming Carpenter for Okung's pre-snap penalties? That sounds logical.
It's no coincidence that the false start penalties were down yesterday...no Okung in the lineup.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Good news: 6'2", 319 lbs., and his 2013 team had the #1 rusher and allowed the fewest sacks in the CFL.

Bad News: right now his team is 14-3 with one more game to play. Playoffs start Nov 16. If the Stampeders go to the cup, he's not finished until December and at that point he would have played in 21 games already this year.

Maybe next season.

kidhawk

Reaction score
There is not much that can be done with our team right now until the season is over. The only players we could possibly acquire are castoffs from other teams. They aren't going to be any better than what we have now.

Do we need to draft some O-line help this off season? Well duh. I'm pretty sure that if we polled the forum, you'd get a resounding agreement.

For now though, all we can do is hope to get healthy and play a little more up to their capabilities.

Even when playing, Okung, Carpenter and Unger have all been playing through injury issues. This takes an average line and makes it seem well below average.

OP
OP
F

firebee

Reaction score
hawkfan68":132gz8zr said:
firebee":132gz8zr said:
kidhawk":132gz8zr said:
firebee":132gz8zr said:

So you're blaming Carpenter for Okung's pre-snap penalties? That sounds logical.
It's no coincidence that the false start penalties were down yesterday...no Okung in the lineup.

Hahahaha... No I'm blaming Carpenter for his own pre-snap penalties, holding calls. Yes... I'm fully aware that Okung has had false start issues, but I can cut an OT some slack; seeing how they're not right next to the Center.

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
For the record, did they not win the Super Bowl last year despite having the worst Offensive Lines in the league?

Exittium

Reaction score
dumbrabbit":3mm0l9mc said:
For the record, did they not win the Super Bowl last year despite having the worst Offensive Lines in the league?

cant say that now, period. We are champions until the end of the year, but we also can't go off last year anymore period. Some new faces, new talent. etc. etc. And so far it seems cable has PC/JS sold on his current Oline like a used car salesman selling a totaled piece of junk that's been rebuilt. .. Our Problem right now is the oline hasn't even been rebuilt yet, well maybe in the process looking at Britt. And he'll grow as he learns more. I wouldn't blame cable normally, but he's had these dude's for a while and its just been penalty after penalty, and what hurts more is most these penalties have negated points and big plays, talk about demoralizing and shooting your own foot.

I mean I don't know how hard it is to run block vs pass block. It seems we have guys that are great at the run block, and crap at the pass block. We've been such a heavy run first team for a while now that maybe they've "forgotten" how to actually pass block. Maybe we need a rotating oline for certain plays or just a breather. I don't know, what I do know is whatever we're doing with them they're not getting is and seem lost or being blown up.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Packers just released an OT that they drafted in the first round in 2011. Wonder if Schneider will show interest just because the guy played for the Packers.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
firebee":1c7y2kn4 said:

I saw a few plays where Carpenter excelled at the very things you're talking about, so pardon me if I don't start waving placards just yet.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Look who was out on the field? Of course they looked off. Literally a 4th string Center, no Okung, No Unger, and a Rookie RT. What do you expect?