Offensive Line Follies -- Telling GIF's from the Cards Game

cymatica

Reaction score
SHOCKER315":3vjtrowz said:
Cable is not the problem!!

The gifs clearly show the Oline blocking their "zones" just as they are taught to do. The problem is those undisciplined Cardinals aren't in their correct zones! Can't blame Cable or the Oline for that!

But don't worry guys, help is around the corner... I hear Cable has convinced the Hawks to bring in Kevin Love, Draymond Green, and Serge Ibaka for try outs next year. In addition, there are some great defensive tackles in the draft which would fit perfectly in Cables developmental style. After Cable has trained them up to be adequate NFL lineman (in a few seasons), we can let them walk to other teams so they have to pay the typical Olinemans' salary. Ha Ha... Suckers!!

Meanwhile we can simply draft unproven D-lineman and basketball players and pay them a pittance. Once RW fully heals from his freak injuries (that no one could have predicted), they won't need to block anyway. Russell can easily cartwheel out of any 4 man rush.. so long as the RB's, WR, and TE are chip blocking. So in the end it doesn't really matter.

Don't worry, just trust the process. It brilliant! ;)

I'm laughing and crying at the same time for how funny and true this is

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
It's clear Ifedi isn't comfortable with zone blocking.

Cable needs to go.

ludakrishna

Reaction score
:sarcasm_on: It's okay guys. Completely fine. Get off your horses. We're seeing our 5th consecutive 10 win season if we win vs SF and just won a division. Everything is A okay. :sarcasm_off: keep drinking the Kool aid :179422:

mrt144

Reaction score
I think history will look back and laugh at how the Seahawks let Tom Cable systematically decimate the OL through his charlatan ZBS coaching. Does anyone here think we will have even league average by 2019 if Cable stays?

Hawks46

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":3qq0u4ld said:
To me this shows poor coaching. That Ifedi gif shows a player uncomfortable with the ZBS. Very few of those were physical man-handlings, they were players afraid of making a mistake and in the process of that... making a mistake. This should be drilled into these players by now. These breakdowns in communication are inexcusable.

Couple that with the ridiculous propensity our OL has to cut and you have a garbage line.

Running the ZBS seems anathema to our drafting strategy. We take players with high physical measurables and mould them into an offensive lineman. With all the change most our OL personnel are already going through the last thing they need is a complex blocking scheme. Take players with high measurables and plug them into a power blocking scheme. Line up and have our horses knock their horses off the line. Enough with the cuts and angle-based execution.

This is a great point. I was wondering if they would run a power/man scheme this year due to the athleticism and size of the OL. Evidently not.

cymatica

Reaction score
Hawks46":rstxw0dg said:
CodeWarrior":rstxw0dg said:
To me this shows poor coaching. That Ifedi gif shows a player uncomfortable with the ZBS. Very few of those were physical man-handlings, they were players afraid of making a mistake and in the process of that... making a mistake. This should be drilled into these players by now. These breakdowns in communication are inexcusable.

Couple that with the ridiculous propensity our OL has to cut and you have a garbage line.

Running the ZBS seems anathema to our drafting strategy. We take players with high physical measurables and mould them into an offensive lineman. With all the change most our OL personnel are already going through the last thing they need is a complex blocking scheme. Take players with high measurables and plug them into a power blocking scheme. Line up and have our horses knock their horses off the line. Enough with the cuts and angle-based execution.

This is a great point. I was wondering if they would run a power/man scheme this year due to the athleticism and size of the OL. Evidently not.

With enough force that square peg will go through that round hole

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
We don't need Okung. Fant looks like a frick'n All Pro with Ifedi and Gilliam on the other side.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
:pukeface:

Shit is supremely embarrassing. Prime Lynch wouldn't even make a pro bowl behind this mess smh.
And poor Russell. He's too nice to "go OFF" a la Sherman, and is such a religious, faithful person (absolutely NOT knocking him for ANY of said traits) but dammit, the kid might have to, God forbid, call it quits at least a 1/4 of a career early just to be able to get his kids in & out the carseats :pukeface:

But, anyway, on to the postseason! :34853_doh:

Mojambo

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":2btcx3ud said:

I've been thinking this for a while. The ZBS is the worst possible system we could be running.

I'm way more invested in seeing a change with Cable than with Bevell.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
It is hard to assign blame since we do not know who is supposed to block who in the play. We also have to realize these are a bunch of rooks and first year is tough. Especially since there is more than one. It compounds the problems they have. I will say even though I don't think Bevell and Cable are all to blame there is the whole accountability thing. They are in charge of a poor performing offense. They should be held accountable. To which end is not my decision but something needs to be done.

hawk45

Reaction score
I'm sure the line will put together a good performance against a crappy DL and we'll all be fooled into thinking it's on the upswing, but it never will be under Cable.

Gilliam was the answer last year. Regressed. Glowinski was supposed to be a solid player. Either regressed or never had it. Ifedi looked okay until Cable got his hooks into him. Fant...why should his career arc be any different than Gilliam's? Guy who shows some promise and athleticism who can't put it together with consistency because he's a project convert. If Fant is to have any chance it can't be Cable mentoring him.

And if Cable does by some miracle manage to create an NFL starter, they won't clearly be worth a second contract leaving us to start over at the position. It's utter accident that Britt of all players looks like he might buck that trend. Cable didn't spy Britt's awesome center talent when no one else did. Cable as usual picked a player who sucked at tackle, sucked at guard, and in this case somehow didn't suck at center. Give credit to Cable I guess but this doesn't seem like a reproducible approach. Nothing about Cable's approach seems consistent or reproducible.

MrThortan

Reaction score
The silver lining in this years O-Line being among the worst in the league is something will finally be done to make them better... right? Right guys? Next years line will at least be average? Guys?

hawk45

Reaction score
MrThortan":10n8eqqs said:
The silver lining in this years O-Line being among the worst in the league is something will finally be done to make them better... right? Right guys? Next years line will at least be average? Guys?

I get the tongue-in-cheek nature of this post, and I feel the same way: a bit hopeless.

The one ray of light is that to me the drafting of Ifedi, Odhiambo, and Hunt all in a single draft was a signal that the FO doesn't think status quo is okay with that unit.

Now if they can't bring themselves to jettison Cable it may not matter, but at least it's a sign they notice. Maybe if it continues to suck after throwing draft capital at it they'll scratch their heads and realize Cable is the common denominator with these crap lines.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I wonder how many OL drafted by the Seahawks have played the same position in college as they are now in the NFL?
Ifedi was a tackle in college - now a guard
Britt was a tackle in college - first a tackle, then guard, now center
Carpenter was a tackle in college - switched to guard; no longer here
Sweezy was DL - switched to OG; no longer here
Glowinski was a guard - now playing LG
Moffit was a guard in college - out of football but did play guard
Odhiambo was a guard in college- now backup for guard/tackle
Okung played tackle in college - played LT; no longer here

They draft players but switch their positions quite a bit. This lengthens the learning curve for many of the guys. Having to adjust to a less familiar position doesn't help the situation at all.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
MrThortan":3cmu8d38 said:

Only if OG Paul Allen calls Pete & JS into the office & lays down the law. I don't see Pete doing it on his own accord.
Which brings me to another point for another thread that I will get to later.

Damn, how swiftly shit can go upside down in this league. It's SEAHWAKS FO LIFE on mines, but I'd be lying if I said I think we'll get back to another SB with this FO. Before this season I legitimately felt we had a 3-5 year window. Now it looks like the next 3 or so will be 'REBUILD' mode.

I'm thankful as hell for SB48! And even 49 for what it's worth! But I fear my new son was born a few years too late for our 'Golden Years'. At least there's the BLURAYS & YOUTUBE!

SHOCKER315

Reaction score
cymatica":3m401y2t said:
SHOCKER315":3m401y2t said:
Cable is not the problem!!

The gifs clearly show the Oline blocking their "zones" just as they are taught to do. The problem is those undisciplined Cardinals aren't in their correct zones! Can't blame Cable or the Oline for that!

But don't worry guys, help is around the corner... I hear Cable has convinced the Hawks to bring in Kevin Love, Draymond Green, and Serge Ibaka for try outs next year. In addition, there are some great defensive tackles in the draft which would fit perfectly in Cables developmental style. After Cable has trained them up to be adequate NFL lineman (in a few seasons), we can let them walk to other teams so they have to pay the typical Olinemans' salary. Ha Ha... Suckers!!

Meanwhile we can simply draft unproven D-lineman and basketball players and pay them a pittance. Once RW fully heals from his freak injuries (that no one could have predicted), they won't need to block anyway. Russell can easily cartwheel out of any 4 man rush.. so long as the RB's, WR, and TE are chip blocking. So in the end it doesn't really matter.

Don't worry, just trust the process. It brilliant! ;)

I'm laughing and crying at the same time for how funny and true this is

I forgot to add PC/Bevell's 2016 "Ten-Point Plan for Winning Offense":

1. Forget the run game early on. No need to establish it. Besides our undersized RB's are best used for chip blocking against 300 pound defensive tackles.

2. Run play action passes with long developing routes off the un-established run game.

3. Keep the TE's in for additional chip blocking on these play action passes, or use them decoys, (especially if we are in the red zone).

4. Always target the slowest WR who gets the least separation (typically Kearse).

5. Allow RW to be sacked and hurried multiple time in the first half. This has the effect of baiting the defense into being overly aggressive.

6. Go into halftime down multiple scores.

-------Halftime--- (Give speech about how game can't be won in the first three quarters)

7. In the 3rd quarter.... repeat steps 1-5.

8. 4th quarter.... SPRING THE TRAP!! Start running read option every play. Opposing defenses will be exhausted from sacking RW all day, (thanks to step 5). This enables RW to scramble for first downs with ease on every QB keeper or roll out. Throw to Jimmy Graham for the first time, (usually results in a remarkably easy TD to get you back in the game); and target Baldwin on all hectic scramble drills, quick outs, and switch routes up the sideline. Run at least one trick play involving a reverse-pass. Go up tempo for the first time.

9. KEY FACET: Ignore Kearse throughout most of the 4th quarter.... By this time the opposing defense is playing prevent, and has lost any respect for Kearse as a player. Typically, late in the game they will put their worst DB playing 30 yards off him with no help over the top.

10A. If by the late 4th quarter Hawks have regained lead, dither around on offense. No need to extend lead. Get some false starts, holding penalties, or the old standby... OPI by Kearse. Our defense will keep the opposing O out of FG range, guaranteed... book-it.

10B: If still trailing in 4th with less than a minute left, unleash Kearse on a hail-mary. The unsuspecting defense will be stunned by the sheer brashness of entrusting the most important play of the game to him. If on the 1 yard line to win the game... don't run it... too risky. Throw it to Kearse, or perhaps the gunner on the punt team for the win. Should the goal line play fail ...no problem... clock is stopped.

Bring "Hauschka-Money" for the easy chip shot game winner!!

BOOM CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

Guys, this is a revolutionary offensive game planning...we are just too blind to see it. :0190l:

Foghawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3b70pitu said:
I wonder how many OL drafted by the Seahawks have played the same position in college as they are now in the NFL?
Ifedi was a tackle in college - now a guard
Britt was a tackle in college - first a tackle, then guard, now center
Carpenter was a tackle in college - switched to guard; no longer here
Sweezy was DL - switched to OG; no longer here
Glowinski was a guard - now playing LG
Moffit was a guard in college - out of football but did play guard
Odhiambo was a guard in college- now backup for guard/tackle
Okung played tackle in college - played LT; no longer here

They draft players but switch their positions quite a bit. This lengthens the learning curve for many of the guys. Having to adjust to a less familiar position doesn't help the situation at all.

It's a shell game every year with the OL and it certainly hasn't worked out well this season.

Clever cat guessing shell game correctly

Latest posts