Offensive Coordinator replacement for 2016

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
kearly":e4lqp8v9 said:
DavidSeven":e4lqp8v9 said:
If you try to go out any further than that, you're just talking about a young coordinator who likely isn't going to get a lot of HC opportunities. Again, if we apply this logic leage-wide, Kyle Shanahan, Pep Hamilton, Scott Linehan, etc. must suck too, as they also haven't been handed any HC jobs.

Pep Hamilton has been an OC for 2 years. Kyle Shanahan was fired by his own father. Scott Linehan is a former head coach and a crappy one at that.

I never said Bevell was so bad he couldn't get interviews. But interviews are often just part of a brainstorming session by teams.

Tenth year in the league, nobody has said yes to the guy. It's really hard for me to not put stock in that. Especially when the Bevell comments I hear outside of Seattle from league followers seem to wear a smirk every time. When that one league observer talked about Bevell going 'guru mode' before the SB, that's when I started to realize that the book is out on the guy.
As many comments you've heard besmirching him, I've heard as many more admiring him, especially around Minnesota, where they had to endure Musgrave for a few years. And speaking of Minnesota, that whole front office as a train wreck after Childress was let go. Rick Spielman is probably the lamest GM in the league, so you're not proving anything by saying it was a slap in the face to Bevell that the Vikings didn't retain him.

Besides, it's still my belief that Bevell is slated to be Pete's replacement when that time comes. And I'd be 100 percent behind it.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":15q74q6r said:
kearly":15q74q6r said:
DavidSeven":15q74q6r said:
If you try to go out any further than that, you're just talking about a young coordinator who likely isn't going to get a lot of HC opportunities. Again, if we apply this logic leage-wide, Kyle Shanahan, Pep Hamilton, Scott Linehan, etc. must suck too, as they also haven't been handed any HC jobs.

Pep Hamilton has been an OC for 2 years. Kyle Shanahan was fired by his own father. Scott Linehan is a former head coach and a crappy one at that.

I never said Bevell was so bad he couldn't get interviews. But interviews are often just part of a brainstorming session by teams.

Tenth year in the league, nobody has said yes to the guy. It's really hard for me to not put stock in that. Especially when the Bevell comments I hear outside of Seattle from league followers seem to wear a smirk every time. When that one league observer talked about Bevell going 'guru mode' before the SB, that's when I started to realize that the book is out on the guy.
As many comments you've heard besmirching him, I've heard as many more admiring him, especially around Minnesota, where they had to endure Musgrave for a few years. And speaking of Minnesota, that whole front office as a train wreck after Childress was let go. Rick Spielman is probably the lamest GM in the league, so you're not proving anything by saying it was a slap in the face to Bevell that the Vikings didn't retain him.

Besides, it's still my belief that Bevell is slated to be Pete's replacement when that time comes. And I'd be 100 percent behind it.
:34853_doh: :177692:

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Frank Reich. The guy who wrote and published the blueprint on how to defeat the Hawks defense with a scheme that exploits the weak areas.

The blueprint that has been adopted by several teams with great success, including the Pats in the Super Bowl.

Not getting cute, or relying on one or two big plays to pad your stats. Just simply identifying a weak area and scheming to exploit it again, and again, and again...

-bsd

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
bigskydoc":9ibgzdyw said:
Frank Reich. The guy who wrote and published the blueprint on how to defeat the Hawks defense with a scheme that exploits the weak areas.

The blueprint that has been adopted by several teams with great success, including the Pats in the Super Bowl.

Not getting cute, or relying on one or two big plays to pad your stats. Just simply identifying a weak area and scheming to exploit it again, and again, and again...

-bsd
Reich would be awesome.

mrt144

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":e73mm1pa said:
kearly":e73mm1pa said:
DavidSeven":e73mm1pa said:

Why? What has Bevell shown you in all his years of being a OC that makes you so supremely confident? The only thing keeping my sanity at this point is the remote possibility you're his wife.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
mrt144":2s0gexu1 said:
Siouxhawk":2s0gexu1 said:
kearly":2s0gexu1 said:
DavidSeven":2s0gexu1 said:

Why? What has Bevell shown you in all his years of being a OC that makes you so supremely confident? The only thing keeping my sanity at this point is the remote possibility you're his wife.

Because he'd be integrated in the system, have a great familiarity of Pete's successful formula and he'd be ready to make that leap to head coach by that time. I can't do anything about your sanity. My advice for you is to consult a professional.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Mike bloomgren, offensive coordinator at Stanford. Power run based offense, incredibly creative with formations and play action passes. Traditionally builds passing game around athletic tight ends. Really fits our style of play and personnel to a t.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":g0sepxpw said:
kearly":g0sepxpw said:
DavidSeven":g0sepxpw said:

Ya Spielman is so lame he got screwed over by trading harvin to us for a 1st,7th and 3rd round pick..what a loser

Also in case you havent noticed..The Vikings D is 2nd in the entire league this year in PPG with 16.6. Last year they were at 21.4 and the year before Zimmer got there 30ppg..dead last in the league.

They have a lot of young talent on the team now especially on D. In just 2 years they have gone from worst in the league to top 5

SeatownJay

Reaction score
JSeahawks":7olyez3o said:
Mike bloomgren, offensive coordinator at Stanford. Power run based offense, incredibly creative with formations and play action passes. Traditionally builds passing game around athletic tight ends. Really fits our style of play and personnel to a t.
Bloomgren's offense depends on having smart, talented offensive linemen. That means it won't work here.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":1br91eo3 said:
Siouxhawk":1br91eo3 said:
kearly":1br91eo3 said:
DavidSeven":1br91eo3 said:

Ya Spielman is so lame he got screwed over by trading harvin to us for a 1st,7th and 3rd round pick..what a loser

Also in case you havent noticed..The Vikings D is 2nd in the entire league this year in PPG with 16.6. Last year they were at 21.4 and the year before Zimmer got there 30ppg..dead last in the league.

They have a lot of young talent on the team now especially on D. In just 2 years they have gone from worst in the league to top 5
So Spielman gets kudos for an 8-year reclamation project (the number of years he's served in the GM role). Been to the playoffs once since 2009. I do like Mike Zimmer and I think he's the one who's had the say in acquiring/drafting defensive players. By the way, the picks Spielman got in the Percy trade haven't amounted to squat.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
He was named GM in 2012 but ya...8 years......

Also doesnt help the coaching has been god awful since Denny Green and even he was just mediocre. I mean cmon. Mike Tice, Brad Childress and Leslie Frazier. Spielman didnt hire any of them. He DID however get to hire Norv Turner and Mike Zimmer.

Also they got Xavier Rhodes and Mckinnon out of those picks. Rhodes is allready a pretty good CB and Mckinnon did great last year when AP was out and is a good 3rd down back. Mckinnon had 538 yards last year with a 4.8 avg.

As far as Rhodes goes PFF had some nice things to say about him over the summer from 2nd year. He had the highest broken up passes in the entire league last season AND over the last 8 seasons with 1 out of every 5.9 targets being broken up.

He was graded as PFF 14th graded corner in coverage. Not too bad

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":279u39vc said:

Also doesnt help the coaching has been god awful since Denny Green and even he was just mediocre. I mean cmon. Mike Tice, Brad Childress and Leslie Frazier. Spielman didnt hire any of them. He DID however get to hire Norv Turner and Mike Zimmer.

Also they got Xavier Rhodes and Mckinnon out of those picks. Rhodes is allready a pretty good CB and Mckinnon did great last year when AP was out and is a good 3rd down back. Mckinnon had 538 yards last year with a 4.8 avg.

As far as Rhodes goes PFF had some nice things to say about him over the summer from 2nd year. He had the highest broken up passes in the entire league last season AND over the last 8 seasons with 1 out of every 5.9 targets being broken up.

He essentially was their GM prior to that because they had some triangle of authority nut job thing and he was their player development director. They didn't have a GM, so he dealt with free agency. I think Childress and Bryzinski (sp?) called the shots on draft day.
And Spielman did renew Frazier's contract as head coach in 2011, so he was basically his hire.
I just think Spielman has bungled more moves than made good ones for the Vikes. See Donovan McNabb and Christian Ponder. Glad he let Sidney, Tarvaris and Heath get away to the Hawks and earn a ring.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3lt9gk01 said:
WilsonMVP":3lt9gk01 said:

He essentially was their GM prior to that because they had some triangle of authority nut job thing and he was their player development director. They didn't have a GM, so he dealt with free agency. I think Childress and Bryzinski (sp?) called the shots on draft day.
And Spielman did renew Frazier's contract as head coach in 2011, so he was basically his hire.
I just think Spielman has bungled more moves than made good ones for the Vikes. See Donovan McNabb and Christian Ponder. Glad he let Sidney, Tarvaris and Heath get away to the Hawks and earn a ring.

Nobody knows what control he did or did not have. He was officially named GM in 2012 and his first chance to hire a coach he got Zimmer and Turner and the D went from dead last 30ppg under Frazier running his crap tampa 2/cover 2 to Zimmer running his scheme and are now 2nd in league in PPG.

Only reason they picked up his last year option is because AP carried the whole team to the playoffs the year before. Childress got fired so he was STILL on the books until 2013 I think. Ownership went cheap and promoted Frazier and still didnt have a GM.

From Wikipedia

On November 22, 2010, the Vikings fired head coach Brad Childress after the team started 3–7 and named Frazier the interim head coach for the remainder of the 2010 season.[2] Frazier ended the 2010 season with a loss to the Detroit Lions, putting the Vikings in last place in the NFC North. Frazier's record in 2010 was 3–3.

On January 3, 2011, the Vikings and Frazier reached an agreement making him the permanent head coach. In his first season as head coach, the rebuilding Vikings went 3–13, their worst season since 1984. On December 5, 2011, Vikings owner Zygi Wilf stated Frazier would return in 2012.[3]

In Frazier's second full year as head coach, the Vikings improved to 10-6, making the playoffs.[4] The biggest single-season turn around in Vikings history resulted in Frazier finishing fourth in voting for the NFL Coach of the Year Award and the Vikings exercising their fourth year team option to keep Frazier under contract through 2014.[5]

On December 30, 2013, Frazier was fired as the Vikings Head Coach after a 5-10-1 season.[6]

IN SHORT. Vikings promoted Frazier with a 3 year contract with an option for a 4th year. Two of those years they were paying Childress still. Ownership/Spielman decided to pick up that option after Vikings made the playoffs in 2012. They then fired him after his 3rd year after failing hard with a historically bad D and he didnt even make it to his 4th year

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":873hjkcq said:
Siouxhawk":873hjkcq said:
WilsonMVP":873hjkcq said:

Nobody knows what control he did or did not have. He was officially named GM in 2012 and his first chance to hire a coach he got Zimmer and Turner and the D went from dead last 30ppg under Frazier running his crap tampa 2/cover 2 to Zimmer running his scheme and are now 2nd in league in PPG.

Only reason they picked up his last year option is because AP carried the whole team to the playoffs the year before. Childress got fired so he was STILL on the books until 2013 I think. Ownership went cheap and promoted Frazier and still didnt have a GM.

From Wikipedia

On November 22, 2010, the Vikings fired head coach Brad Childress after the team started 3–7 and named Frazier the interim head coach for the remainder of the 2010 season.[2] Frazier ended the 2010 season with a loss to the Detroit Lions, putting the Vikings in last place in the NFC North. Frazier's record in 2010 was 3–3.

On January 3, 2011, the Vikings and Frazier reached an agreement making him the permanent head coach. In his first season as head coach, the rebuilding Vikings went 3–13, their worst season since 1984. On December 5, 2011, Vikings owner Zygi Wilf stated Frazier would return in 2012.[3]

In Frazier's second full year as head coach, the Vikings improved to 10-6, making the playoffs.[4] The biggest single-season turn around in Vikings history resulted in Frazier finishing fourth in voting for the NFL Coach of the Year Award and the Vikings exercising their fourth year team option to keep Frazier under contract through 2014.[5]

On December 30, 2013, Frazier was fired as the Vikings Head Coach after a 5-10-1 season.[6]

IN SHORT. Vikings promoted Frazier with a 3 year contract with an option for a 4th year. Two of those years they were paying Childress still. Ownership/Spielman decided to pick up that option after Vikings made the playoffs in 2012. They then fired him after his 3rd year after failing hard with a historically bad D and he didnt even make it to his 4th year
In short, I'm not willing to let Spielman off the hook like you are. I think he's an abysmally poor GM and I think the Vikes will always be hamstrung with him making personnel decisions. But considering the Vikings have a pair of brothers who are crooks as owners, he's probably suited for the job.

White Devil

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":5ngycwza said:

By1lM4P

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
White Devil":p4mcn2c8 said:
Siouxhawk":p4mcn2c8 said:

By1lM4P
Glad to see you'd make the plunge as well

kearly

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2331x7uq said:

A big part of that success is due to Stanford having very good OL every year, but I respect Stanford's ability to control games, even with an average QB and no name WRs.

As far as Sark is concerned, as much as I think he would be an immediate upgrade over Bevell in terms of basic competencies, I don't know if he'd be all that different from Bevell as an innovator. Sark was always a copycat at UW, taking every good idea he saw from other schools (mostly Oregon). While this is an admirable quality in a coach, it's something you can also say about BevelI, who is known to copy ideas and plays about as often as anyone in the NFL. It's not that I would be against Sark, I think a sober Sark would be a good OC hire. But I would rather see an up and coming innovator given the chance first.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
White Devil":xo1i1i8f said:
Siouxhawk":xo1i1i8f said:

By1lM4P

I laughed long and hard.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
kearly":2kabmdlg said:
JSeahawks":2kabmdlg said:

A big part of that success is due to Stanford having very good OL every year, but I respect Stanford's ability to control games, even with an average QB and no name WRs.

As far as Sark is concerned, as much as I think he would be an immediate upgrade over Bevell in terms of basic competencies, I don't know if he'd be all that different from Bevell as an innovator. Sark was always a copycat at UW, taking every good idea he saw from other schools (mostly Oregon). While this is an admirable quality in a coach, it's something you can also say about BevelI, who is known to copy ideas and plays about as often as anyone in the NFL. It's not that I would be against Sark, I think a sober Sark would be a good OC hire. But I would rather see an up and coming innovator given the chance first.

Isn't a lot of that on Pete? From day 1 Carroll's said this will be a more old-school offense than the innovative offenses we see in college (for example). Heck, he even fired Bates for getting away from that approach.

I think when it comes down to it, it's a decision by Pete to keep it the way it is. They aren't copying a bunch of current ideas around the NFL as much as they are running a style that's been duplicated in the offenses since Bill Walsh.