Now that we know their teams, which QB

chris98251

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":2ectj0pk said:
chris98251":2ectj0pk said:
SanDiego49er":2ectj0pk said:
Smellyman":2ectj0pk said:
Mayfield can thank RW success to being number one, but he still has a lot of detractors. If he was 6'3 he'd be consensus #1 with no questions asked if all you did was look at their game films.

Maybe so. But other than Russell Wilson and Drew Brees there are not a lot of 6'0" and under QB's who are great QB's. It's no the prototype of great success for QB's in the NFL. Most of the real good ones are bigger and taller and have a higher release. NFL Linemen are big and tall with long arms. It's hard to throw it over them if you are too short. Wilson uses mobility to run around and find open throwing lanes. Brees is a master of shifting around within the pocket to find a small crack or opening to have a tiny throwing lane. But it's not ordinary for guys to have success who are real short.

Flutie managed pretty good.

Also the stigma prevents players from even getting a chance based on the exact things so called experts say, we listened to the experts for months about Wilson, Pete had the balls to give him a chance and to follow his performances into the starting position. Several have posted his Pocket performance and it's as good or better then many Skyscraper QB's.

Also as a 49ers fan you should have witnessed it several time already.

Flutie was not a long term starter in the league. He did start sometimes. He also spent long periods of time being a backup in the NFL. He was on the Chargers and he was a backup for a pretty long time. He was a good college player though. But to call him a great pro I think is saying too much.

I know what Russell Wilson is. I went to University of Wisconsin. He was a Wisconsin Badger. I'm a fan of him personally. I know who he is. He is accurate from the pocket and mobile and accurate throwing on the run. But I think that is unique to him for his size. Because not too many people are who are like 5'10" or whatever he really is. He throws a good accurate ball from the pocket and is good throwing on the run too. But I think he is the exception rather than the rule.

Can Mayfield be good? Who knows? He was accurate in college. The Browns have such a history of failure I think it's hard to imagine him having a lot of help around him. But we will have to wait and see what happens. You have to give him some time.

Flutie played for Ditka who said he would never play him, he was forced to due to injury and Flutie lit it up, first chance he had Ditka cut him, I think he them bounced to San Diego and was cut. He made it up to the Canadian Football league and lit it up and set records, Bills signed him after about 4 or 5 years up there and they were doing their best Cleveland Brown QB search impression and brought Flutie in, again a name guy might have been Rob Johnson got hurt, Flutie stepped up and all of a sudden the Bills were dangerous again and won. He played quite a bit but yet again no matter how well he did he was either released or not resigned, Patriots picked him up as a back up and then he retired if I remember correctly. He never lost the job because he could not play and win, he lost it to a bigger guy based on the stigma against Short QB's. All the guys did was win, Wilson came in and everyone was saying career Back up or practice squad guy. ALL HE DID WAS WIN where ever he has played.

Maulbert

Reaction score
chris98251":lj0fqmrp said:
Flutie played for Ditka who said he would never play him, he was forced to due to injury and Flutie lit it up, first chance he had Ditka cut him, I think he them bounced to San Diego and was cut. He made it up to the Canadian Football league and lit it up and set records, Bills signed him after about 4 or 5 years up there and they were doing their best Cleveland Brown QB search impression and brought Flutie in, again a name guy might have been Rob Johnson got hurt, Flutie stepped up and all of a sudden the Bills were dangerous again and won. He played quite a bit but yet again no matter how well he did he was either released or not resigned, Patriots picked him up as a back up and then he retired if I remember correctly. He never lost the job because he could not play and win, he lost it to a bigger guy based on the stigma against Short QB's. All the guys did was win, Wilson came in and everyone was saying career Back up or practice squad guy. ALL HE DID WAS WIN where ever he has played.

Flutie was drafted by the Rams in 1985, then traded to the Bears in 1986. I can't find anywhere where it says Ditka refused to play Flutie. Also, Flutie was traded by the Bears to the Patriots during the 1987 NFL strike where he crossed the picket line to play for New England. Following the end of his contract (once again, not cut) in 1989, he signed in the CFL. He was never cut by an NFL team until the Bills cut him in 2001. He then signed with the Chargers at the age of 38. The Chargers then cut Flutie in 2005, by which time he was 42 years old. This is all easy to look up. Get your facts straight.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Every Canadian will recall Flutie winning the CFL championship with Calgary, and the again two more times in Toronto. He had a winning record with the Bills and got them to the playoffs, only to be benched for the biggest sackmeister in the history of the NFL. With the "tall guy", they were promptly bounced from the the playoffs, and didn't get another sniff for 17 years. Like, who benches their winning QB?!?
That's what height bias will get you. Stupid Bills....

Smellyman

Reaction score
NFL gets locked into their box and can't get out of it. Right now it is Arm length. Must have Arm Length! Can they just look at film for Pete's sake?

Joe Thomas, perhaps the best LT during his tenure and high draft pick, would be a much later pick now. Only 32" arms. He is like a TRex

adeltaY

Reaction score
Smellyman":b4knn8df said:
NFL gets locked into their box and can't get out of it. Right now it is Arm length. Must have Arm Length! Can they just look at film for Pete's sake?

Joe Thomas, perhaps the best LT during his tenure and high draft pick, would be a much later pick now. Only 32" arms. He is like a TRex

Yeah but Thomas is the exception. His form and stance are very unconventional. It's more likely a guy with longer arms will the successful than a guy with short arms, it's up to scouts to figure out who will surpass their physically more gifted brethren.

Latest posts