NO!!! Say it ain't so Jim ....... Tomsula

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Maulbert":274mdkek said:
If Bowman had been healthy last year, not a single 49er fan would be acting like he was a replacement for Willis.

...my brother would be my sister.

If the argument is that the 9ers will be worse this year than last year and Bowman didn't play a single down last year, you don't get to say he's not an addition that has to be weighed against last year's 1/2 season of Willis and 1/2 season of Borland subtraction.

I don't see what's complicated about that.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Marvin49":ac5poqul said:
Ambrose83":ac5poqul said:
Right, and when the players you lost were all vastly better then the ones you have.. deductive reasoning states a DECLINE, toss in a unproven coach, the worst offseason maybe in NFL history and oh wait.. you still have Kap at QB and honestly it does not look good. Should be a fun year, very few things make me happier in terms of football then the 9ers being awful.

But of course....

....but is Navorro Bowman vastly inferior to Patrick Willis? Is Torrey Smith vastly inferior to Michael Crabtree? Is Carlos Hyde vastly inferior to Frank Gore?

Is the combo of Quinton Dial and Tank Carradine vastly inferior to Justin Smith?

In order I'd say "no, no, maybe, probably". That doesn't mean that other players at other positions don't step up. That makes the team DIFFERENT. Not better. Not worse. DIFFERENT.

I think the common mistake is to simply look at names and assume that those guys were at the height of their powers so their loss is overly traumatic. Willis has been slowed by injury for 2 seasons and didn't even play most of last year. Justin Smith hasn't been the same for 2 seasons. Frank Gore has been slowing down for years. I know. I've read all about it right here on .net. :)

Aldon played 7 games last year. Bowman didn't play at all. That 2 huge pieces coming back that really were little or no factor at all last year. Niner lost Willis and Borland, but they played the same position last year. Bowman offsets that loss IF he's healthy. The other ILB Wilhoite started every game last year.

Iupati was a shadow of himself last year. He could be much better this year another year removed from his broken ankle, but he was never really going to be a good ZBS blocker anyway. Anthony Davis hurts. No way around it. Crabtree was never the same after the Achilles.

How the Niner depth and youth handles the changes on the O-Line and D-Line will be everything this year.
Thou protest too much????? 8)

Marvin49

Reaction score
Maulbert":2pqhp6zu said:
Marvin49":2pqhp6zu said:
Ambrose83":2pqhp6zu said:
Right, and when the players you lost were all vastly better then the ones you have.. deductive reasoning states a DECLINE, toss in a unproven coach, the worst offseason maybe in NFL history and oh wait.. you still have Kap at QB and honestly it does not look good. Should be a fun year, very few things make me happier in terms of football then the 9ers being awful.

But of course....

....but is Navorro Bowman vastly inferior to Patrick Willis? Is Torrey Smith vastly inferior to Michael Crabtree? Is Carlos Hyde vastly inferior to Frank Gore?

Is the combo of Quinton Dial and Tank Carradine vastly inferior to Justin Smith?

In order I'd say "no, no, maybe, probably". That doesn't mean that other players at other positions don't step up. That makes the team DIFFERENT. Not better. Not worse. DIFFERENT.

I think the common mistake is to simply look at names and assume that those guys were at the height of their powers so their loss is overly traumatic. Willis has been slowed by injury for 2 seasons and didn't even play most of last year. Justin Smith hasn't been the same for 2 seasons. Frank Gore has been slowing down for years. I know. I've read all about it right here on .net. :)

Aldon played 7 games last year. Bowman didn't play at all. That 2 huge pieces coming back that really were little or no factor at all last year. Niner lost Willis and Borland, but they played the same position last year. Bowman offsets that loss IF he's healthy. The other ILB Wilhoite started every game last year.

Iupati was a shadow of himself last year. He could be much better this year another year removed from his broken ankle, but he was never really going to be a good ZBS blocker anyway. Anthony Davis hurts. No way around it. Crabtree was never the same after the Achilles.

How the Niner depth and youth handles the changes on the O-Line and D-Line will be everything this year.

You say Bowman is offsetting the loss of Willis and Borland, but that's just not true. While I won't deny Bowman might well be better than Willis was, he's not an addition, he's a return. If Bowman had been healthy last year, not a single 49er fan would be acting like he was a replacement for Willis. Also, that's assuming Bowman is back to 100 percent, a big if. That was a nasty injury he suffered, and he hasn't seen any real action in a year.

Also, my reaction to even comparing Johnson and Dial to Smith:

happy laugh are you kidding me Michael Jordan GIF

'Probably not' is the reaction of a truly delusional niner fan.

1) What's the baseline here? Is the baseline the 2013 Niners or the 2014 Niners? If the argument is "you went 8-8 last year and you got worse", then I can ABSOLUTELY use Bowman as a replacement for Willis and Borland. He didn't play at all. Willis barely played. Borland only played 5 or 6 games (don't remember exactly how many he started after Willis went down). It ain't a stretch to say that a healthy Bowman wouldn't be "vastly inferior" to Willis/Borland. As for the injury, of course he's gonna need time coming back from the injury. I'm not assuming anything...I'm just sayin it ain't a forgone conclusion that he's "vastly inferior" to two injured players last year.

2) Tank Johnson on doesn't play for the 49ers. Really hoping you meant Carradine. Again tho...you are talking about a Justin Smith that hasn't been the same Justin smith for a few years now. He played the lowest % of snaps last year than any time in SF. I'm not sayin those guys can be Smith in his prime. I'm simply saying together they probably aren't the same guy who played last year. Again...what's the baseline? At the end of his career, Jerry Rice played in Seattle. Jerry is the best ever...but my bet is that there were WRs that year who were better than him on the roster...THAT YEAR.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2faqxorv said:
Maulbert":2faqxorv said:
If Bowman had been healthy last year, not a single 49er fan would be acting like he was a replacement for Willis.

If the argument is that the 9ers will be worse this year than last year and Bowman didn't play a single down last year, you don't get to say he's not an addition that has to be weighed against last year's 1/2 season of Willis and 1/2 season of Borland subtraction.

Bingo.

Ambrose83

Reaction score
its still early, you guys have weeks left for aldon to do something stupid and get suspended again, or maybe another 9er kills someone, or roughs up his girl... seems fairly common these days.. its like a ticking time bomb... tick tick tick.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Ambrose83":2uqyvl2e said:
its still early, you guys have weeks left for aldon to do something stupid and get suspended again, or maybe another 9er kills someone, or roughs up his girl... seems fairly common these days.. its like a ticking time bomb... tick tick tick.

WTF?

I really hope you aren't referring to Lawrence Phillips who was a Niner for 8 games 16 years ago.

Ambrose83

Reaction score
Marvin49":d6vjk2ui said:
Ambrose83":d6vjk2ui said:

WTF?

I really hope you aren't referring to Lawrence Phillips who was a Niner for 8 games 16 years ago.

he was a 9er lol.... seriously though.. you cant defend your teams blatant lack of discipline off the field... its pretty awesome really.... not shocking.. just awesome.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1citwrdq said:
Maulbert":1citwrdq said:

That's because you're in niner fan myopia.

I will put it in a way you niner fans already know to be true, but refuse to let other team's fans get away with knowing the exact same thing. The niners will be worse than they were in every year they made the playoffs in this century. Forget about last year, everyone knows your excuses for that. This season will be at least as bad as last season except they'll only reach 8-8 if they don't have a string of injuries.

I believe Bowman and Willis were on the field at the same time when both were healthy, so trying to tell us that Bowman is replacing Willis shows that you think we're idiots. I'll pretend I'm as stupid as you are for believing that Bowman is replacing Willis and will ask who is replacing Bowman then?

How many years in a row have the niner fans claimed to finally have a good wr group? My guess is at least a dozen. I also bet on the same disappointment by the end of the season for niner fans. Once again, just as has been the case since Young retired, the wide receivers will not do well because of the niner QB.

We all know that "Tank" is a great name, but having a great name doesn't mean he will be a great player. We do understand how niner fan would confuse the two though.

What ever happened to Harbaalke? Wasn't that guy the best ever at what he did? Replacing that guy has to be difficult. Baalksula sounds cool though, so he is probably better.

Just a silly question, but have any of you niner fans EVER criticized a member of the niner organization while that person was a member of the niner organization, or do you all wait until the guy is gone? Around here, you all try to convince us that everything is great in ninerland, but when a guy leaves, you all tell us that his replacement is better even when the replacement has never played. This isn't anything new either. Nolan was the savior until he wasn't. Singletary was the savior until he wasn't. Harbaugh was the greatest coach ever just two years ago and now JimTom is gonna be even better. I've never seen another fanbase act this way. It seems to be the same at EVERY position for you guys.

I understand backing your team, but you niner fans always seem to be in total denial. Harbaugh was great and no way was he gonna leave to JimTom is gonna be great and Harbaugh was hard to deal with.

Get your heads out of the sand.

Marvin49

Reaction score
rideaducati":9euiukwx said:
Popeyejones":9euiukwx said:
Maulbert":9euiukwx said:

I will put it in a way you niner fans already know to be true, but refuse to let other team's fans get away with knowing the exact same thing. The niners will be worse than they were in every year they made the playoffs in this century. Forget about last year, everyone knows your excuses for that. This season will be at least as bad as last season except they'll only reach 8-8 if they don't have a string of injuries.

I believe Bowman and Willis were on the field at the same time when both were healthy, so trying to tell us that Bowman is replacing Willis shows that you think we're idiots. I'll pretend I'm as stupid as you are for believing that Bowman is replacing Willis and will ask who is replacing Bowman then?

How many years in a row have the niner fans claimed to finally have a good wr group? My guess is at least a dozen. I also bet on the same disappointment by the end of the season for niner fans. Once again, just as has been the case since Young retired, the wide receivers will not do well because of the niner QB.

We all know that "Tank" is a great name, but having a great name doesn't mean he will be a great player. We do understand how niner fan would confuse the two though.

What ever happened to Harbaalke? Wasn't that guy the best ever at what he did? Replacing that guy has to be difficult. Baalksula sounds cool though, so he is probably better.

Just a silly question, but have any of you niner fans EVER criticized a member of the niner organization while that person was a member of the niner organization, or do you all wait until the guy is gone? Around here, you all try to convince us that everything is great in ninerland, but when a guy leaves, you all tell us that his replacement is better even when the replacement has never played. This isn't anything new either. Nolan was the savior until he wasn't. Singletary was the savior until he wasn't. Harbaugh was the greatest coach ever just two years ago and now JimTom is gonna be even better. I've never seen another fanbase act this way. It seems to be the same at EVERY position for you guys.

I understand backing your team, but you niner fans always seem to be in total denial. Harbaugh was great and no way was he gonna leave to JimTom is gonna be great and Harbaugh was hard to deal with.

Holy smokes. What have I been thinking all this time. I've seen the light.

:sarcasm_off:

Your OPINION and matters of fact have very little to do with one another. Writing a team off...ANY team for that matter before training camp has even begun is flat silly. Saying that things aren't a forgone conclusion is LOGIC, not homerism. None of us knows what is going to happen, so stop pretending like you do and acting like the voice of reason in telling us that we "are in total denial".

Total denial would be unopen to any other outcome....and that is what YOU are doing there homey. Not us.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
rideaducati":2oep9y2z said:
Popeyejones":2oep9y2z said:
Maulbert":2oep9y2z said:

Thread winner right there. ^^^
Bravo sir!

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I do remember a thread a couple years back where some Hawk fans were saying Carroll was better than Harbaugh, and Marvin was having none of that. Now Harbaugh is gone, and Marvin thinks the team will improve without him.

In the history of the Hawks, they have had 3 good coaches. It isn't easy to replace on of the best. (Oh, BTW, in that thread, I thought Jim was a better in game coach than Carroll, and Carroll was a better developer of talent outside of game day).

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1usub0av said:
I do remember a thread a couple years back where some Hawk fans were saying Carroll was better than Harbaugh, and Marvin was having none of that. Now Harbaugh is gone, and Marvin thinks the team will improve without him.

In the history of the Hawks, they have had 3 good coaches. It isn't easy to replace on of the best. (Oh, BTW, in that thread, I thought Jim was a better in game coach than Carroll, and Carroll was a better developer of talent outside of game day).

Carroll's 2nd half adjustments blow Harbaugh (and pretty much every other coach) out of the water.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Marvin I know your getting a pretty good thrashing here but I do have a serious question. With all the turn over from the last few years you are seeing your depth become starters. How do you feel about your depth now? It's usually a safe assumption that injuries will affect the roster through the course of the season so what areas do you think you still have good depth at versus areas you really cannot afford to lose anyone?

Also apparently Bush was getting the majority of the starters reps in your OTA's over Hyde. Is there a reason outside of him being ahead of Hyde on the depth chart that you know of?

Weadoption

Reaction score
I believe it was reported that Hyde had a calf strain so they held him out.
As to the depth, man I can't even figure about 1/3 of the starters let alone who will be backing them up.
Total rebuild mode here, and if the backups end up seeing a lot of time we are looking at a top 5 draft pick with our schedule.
A very interesting camp upcoming.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RichNhansom":3qdsh47l said:
Marvin I know your getting a pretty good thrashing here but I do have a serious question. With all the turn over from the last few years you are seeing your depth become starters. How do you feel about your depth now? It's usually a safe assumption that injuries will affect the roster through the course of the season so what areas do you think you still have good depth at versus areas you really cannot afford to lose anyone?

Also apparently Bush was getting the majority of the starters reps in your OTA's over Hyde. Is there a reason outside of him being ahead of Hyde on the depth chart that you know of?

No more than normal. :D

A lot of the depth is gone so yes, even if those players that are becoming starters are good and get hurt there is far less depth than there once was. Again...time to see what Baalke has built.

On the D-line they lost a great player and a good one last last year, but I actually feel really good about the depth there. The O-Line is a different story. They haven't figured out the starters let alone the backups. At LB, ILB depth has taken a big hit...but few teams have ever been stocked 4 deep at ILB the way the Niners were. Now they are stocked 2 deep and depth is an issue. They have said they really like Nick Moody as a backup, but I wasn't all that impressed late last year whenh he was pushed into service. Very athletic and sometimes flashes, but too often is there to make the play and doesn't make it.

As for Bush, as Weadoption said, Hyde had a calf strain so was limited in practice. He'd have played and practiced if this were the regular season, but they felt no need to push him in May and June.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Marvin49":2ijmm2w4 said:
rideaducati":2ijmm2w4 said:
Popeyejones":2ijmm2w4 said:
Maulbert":2ijmm2w4 said:

Your OPINION and matters of fact have very little to do with one another. Writing a team off...ANY team for that matter before training camp has even begun is flat silly. Saying that things aren't a forgone conclusion is LOGIC, not homerism. None of us knows what is going to happen, so stop pretending like you do and acting like the voice of reason in telling us that we "are in total denial".

Total denial would be unopen to any other outcome....and that is what YOU are doing there homey. Not us.

I thought it was okay FOR ME to make predictions based on MY opinion...I guess that is frowned upon if it goes against the niners. What was I thinking?

"None of us knows what is going to happen" and "Saying things aren't a forgone conclusion is LOGIC".... Thank you so much, Captain Obvious... Wow, the things I learn on the internet that I couldn't figure out without niner fans is immense.

I'm sure when Baalke and JimTom are gone, you'll tell us that they weren't very good, and the new guys in their place have a "chance" to be a lot better. Thanks again, Captain Obvious.

I'm open to ANY outcome for the niners. I will accept whatever happens, because I will have no choice other than to accept it, I just don't think they'll be very good. They could prove me wrong, but again, I'm willing to bet they won't.

I'm calling my shot and I think the niners will be 6-10 this season. JimTom will not make it through two seasons. Baalke might get to hire one more coach, but that won't work out well either. Keeporpick will be the same "one read and run" QB and when bullets fly, he will revert to the 90 mph fastball when a touch pass is needed. The WR group in ninerland won't be very good because of the QB.

I'm not going to wait until everything plays out and then tell you everything played out. I'm putting this out there so that WHEN I am proven right, you'll know I was right all along and I'll have bragging rights. If I am wrong, you can have your fun.

This is the type of thing we're looking for from niner fans. Have an opinion. Talk some trash, but come back WHEN you're wrong.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1m1ka4gh said:

Sigh....

....dude. Is that what I said? Really?

There is a BIG, BIG difference between saying "Its not outside the realm of possibility" or "its not a forgone conclusion" and "it WILL be this way". I am the only one not making a definitive statement one way or the other while just about everyone else here is and somehow I"M the one being unreasonable.

Really funny when you think about it. :D

Marvin49

Reaction score
rideaducati":2h5czjmi said:
Marvin49":2h5czjmi said:
rideaducati":2h5czjmi said:
Popeyejones":2h5czjmi said:

I thought it was okay FOR ME to make predictions based on MY opinion...I guess that is frowned upon if it goes against the niners. What was I thinking?

"None of us knows what is going to happen" and "Saying things aren't a forgone conclusion is LOGIC".... Thank you so much, Captain Obvious... Wow, the things I learn on the internet that I couldn't figure out without niner fans is immense.

I'm sure when Baalke and JimTom are gone, you'll tell us that they weren't very good, and the new guys in their place have a "chance" to be a lot better. Thanks again, Captain Obvious.

I'm open to ANY outcome for the niners. I will accept whatever happens, because I will have no choice other than to accept it, I just don't think they'll be very good. They could prove me wrong, but again, I'm willing to bet they won't.

I'm calling my shot and I think the niners will be 6-10 this season. JimTom will not make it through two seasons. Baalke might get to hire one more coach, but that won't work out well either. Keeporpick will be the same "one read and run" QB and when bullets fly, he will revert to the 90 mph fastball when a touch pass is needed. The WR group in ninerland won't be very good because of the QB.

I'm not going to wait until everything plays out and then tell you everything played out. I'm putting this out there so that WHEN I am proven right, you'll know I was right all along and I'll have bragging rights. If I am wrong, you can have your fun.

This is the type of thing we're looking for from niner fans. Have an opinion. Talk some trash, but come back WHEN you're wrong.

Well of course you have a right to your opinion.

All I'm sayin' is don't pass it off as if its fact and make out like I'm the one being unreasonable. Its a request.

Bragging rights? really? Do you really care that much to hang onto it that long? OK. No worries. Free Country.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Weadoption":16wc2rkd said:
I believe it was reported that Hyde had a calf strain so they held him out.
As to the depth, man I can't even figure about 1/3 of the starters let alone who will be backing them up.
Total rebuild mode here, and if the backups end up seeing a lot of time we are looking at a top 5 draft pick with our schedule.
A very interesting camp upcoming.
This guy gets it. ^^^^
Nice to see at least one niner fan lives in the world of reality. :th2thumbs:

Latest posts