Niners sign Brandon Allen as qb4

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score

I prefer our design for our ps Qb. Lock is a vet who would develop by mentoring the udfa Ahlers to be a serviceable backup to Drew when Drew has To start.

Last edited:

Marvin49

Reaction score

I prefer our design for our ps Qb. Lock is a vet who would develop by mentoring the udfa Ahlers to be a serviceable backup to Drew when Drew has To start.

Honestly I think plan was for them to sign an UDFA QB as the #4 for PS.

They worked out several before the draft but they all got drafted. I don't think there was anyone there left that they wanted for that role.

flv2

Reaction score
Allen going to the 49ers is a surprise. He has to be looking for a back-up opportunity as his developmental #3 QB days are over. I don't see him beating anyone out for a QB job there. Maybe he just wants a few weeks preseason money before he retires.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Honestly I think plan was for them to sign an UDFA QB as the #4 for PS.

They worked out several before the draft but they all got drafted. I don't think there was anyone there left that they wanted for that role.

Allen was Burrows’ primary backup On the roster. I’m uncertain why he was even available as the Bengals had to scramble to get Siemian, not really an upgrade.

Last edited:

Marvin49

Reaction score
Allen going to the 49ers is a surprise. He has to be looking for a back-up opportunity as his developmental #3 QB days are over. I don't see him beating anyone out for a QB job there. Maybe he just wants a few weeks preseason money before he retires.
No...I think the idea is 49ers want to get him in camp, teach him the offense and get him to a point where he could play if need be, and then cut him and keep him on the PS all year.

This is directly related to the health issues they've had at QB and they don't want to run out of QBs again. Josh Johnson last year started on the Broncos PS. The idea here is to have 4 "viable" (I use the word loosely) QBs in the QB room all year.

This was why I thought they'd go with UDFA....but clearly either they didn't like what was there or those UDFA QBs didn't want to be clear #4 and get PS salary in SF.

Last edited:

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
He’s probably qb3 after Brock and Donald. Lance is QB 4/bald Scout team tackling dummy

flv2

Reaction score
No...I think the idea is 49ers want to get him in camp, teach him the offense and get him to a point where he could play if need be, and then cut him and keep him on the PS all year.

This is directly related to the health issues they've had at QB and they don't want to run out of QBs again. Josh Johnson last year started on the Broncos PS. The idea here is to have 4 "viable" (I use the word loosely) QBs in the QB room all year.

This was why I thought they'd go with UDFA....but clearly either they didn't like what was there or those UDFA QBs didn't want to be clear #4 and get PS salary in SF.
I understand it for the 49ers. I don't understand it for Allen. He gets to be on the PS for the early weeks as the nominal #3 QB, but only until Purdy is healthy. When that happens and all 3 QBs are healthy there's no value to the 49ers in keeping him. Alternatively he could be a #3 on the PS all year for multiple teams, and as the #3 he'd be 1 play away from being the game day #2 on full pay.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score

There is no eligible qb to throw in rookie minicamp, so theyll likely be looking at a qb5 and/or qb6.

At the end of January, ksjl said they couldn’t see five qbs in camp but that’s what they probably will have.

Edit, told ya so

Last edited: