NHL Seattle Hockey club

DrDix

Reaction score
original poster":3k149nbl said:
kobebryant":3k149nbl said:
Bettman confirmed at the all-star weekend today that a Seattle expansion draft would have the same rules as Vegas had- which is huuuge

For someone that hasn’t followed the NHL is about 15 years could you explain a little please?

I’m going to get right back into the NHL for the Seattle team.

Couple of rookie questions -

What months does the season run?

How many games are there in the regular season?

I don't really know the specifics but essentially Vegas got the best deal for any expansion team ever in terms of selections for players in the expansion draft. They lead the the Western Conference in the standings at the All-Star break. (60ish percent of the regular season) It's unprecedented for an expansion team, obviously.

Season begins in September with training camp and preseason games, with regular season beginning in October running through to April. Playoffs usually run from April to early June. 82 games in the regular season.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
kobebryant":2bies18t said:
Bettman confirmed at the all-star weekend today that a Seattle expansion draft would have the same rules as Vegas had- which is huuuge
That’s great news!!!!
Hopefully the name they pick and the color scheme will be better than the Vegas team though.

ballhawks12

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":bymvs9a9 said:
chris98251":bymvs9a9 said:
Sports Hernia":bymvs9a9 said:
DJrmb":bymvs9a9 said:
Are you two serious? The lame pun is what makes it stupid to begin with...
Laugh a little, you’ll live longer. 8)
The worst name IMHO is Kraken.

I like Kraken !

Release-Da-Kraken-symbol.jpg

Better then hearing You got Smoked !

71RMGe3FMzL SL1500
I actually would prefer something else rather than Kraken or Sockeye, but if it’s between the 2 Kraken loses in my world.

But..... Saying that, I’d get over it and support the team to the max.
I think the Mariners is a pretty lame name, and Seahawks is a little hokey (notice how I always call them Hawks) but I’ve supported both of those teams since they came into existence.

I’ve always loved the name SuperSonics however (I’m sure some think that’s a lame name), even if I was just a fairweather fan.

Ditto on supporting the team to the max regardless of name. I've never been around to witness the inception of a team I followed, so this will be pretty special. Even if I am far away.

But considering a couple of fish names are being looked at, I'm pretty disappointed that Seattle Snakeheads wasn't considered. Snakeheads are downright vicious.

ballhawks12

Reaction score
original poster":1fa8kid2 said:
kobebryant":1fa8kid2 said:

For someone that hasn’t followed the NHL is about 15 years could you explain a little please?

If you're not familiar with the rules/players/etc, I'd suggest playing the EA Sports NHL games. Extremely helpful.

original poster

Reaction score
seaky12":2qkazihn said:
original poster":2qkazihn said:
kobebryant":2qkazihn said:

If you're not familiar with the rules/players/etc, I'd suggest playing the EA Sports NHL games. Extremely helpful.

Thanks!

I remember some of the rules, icing etc. Well down on player knowledge etc though. As you said will check out NHL 18.

Last time I saw a game was the Rangers at MSG about 4 years ago.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
original poster":rek6dfd1 said:
kobebryant":rek6dfd1 said:

The rules were extremely advantageous to LV as was mentioned they're having a great year already. So it sounds like we're getting a team, and we may actually get some playoff hockey in the short term future too!

Hockey just had their all star break, I watched the skills competition on Saturday night. Brought me back.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Bobblehead":1bxix7gr said:
I'd like our color combo's Silver and Blue.
I actually like the Sonics colors when they had the “comic book” font that had thetas reddish color as a highlight.
I’m open to a different color scheme, as long as it’s not bland like the new Vegas team.

OP
OP
Bobblehead

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Just listening to the NHL talk on the radio today and the plan it seems is to implement a expansion draft much like what the Las Vegas team had. Unlike the NFL and other leagues, who basically make you dwell in mediocrity for years, the NHL allows for an expansion that will allow us to be immediate playoff contenders. I guess, the NHL clubs are allowed only to protect a certain amount of players and when one is selected, they are allowed to protect another. The point is, we have a chance if we draft right to be playoff contenders immediately.

Myself, I'd sure like to seem them draft a majority of up and coming players and perhaps a few veterans to help stabilize the kids. I just keep thinking how the Hawks drafted a bunch of old vets and damn if the Hawks didn't look like a team of hasbeens and washed up players when they first started.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_NHL_Expansion_Draft

original poster

Reaction score
Bobblehead":2xb28l3q said:
Just listening to the NHL talk on the radio today and the plan it seems is to implement a expansion draft much like what the Las Vegas team had. Unlike the NFL and other leagues, who basically make you dwell in mediocrity for years, the NHL allows for an expansion that will allow us to be immediate playoff contenders. I guess, the NHL clubs are allowed only to protect a certain amount of players and when one is selected, they are allowed to protect another. The point is, we have a chance if we draft right to be playoff contenders immediately.

Myself, I'd sure like to seem them draft a majority of up and coming players and perhaps a few veterans to help stabilize the kids. I just keep thinking how the Hawks drafted a bunch of old vets and damn if the Hawks didn't look like a team of hasbeens and washed up players when they first started.

Thanks for the link!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Bobblehead":32v87h0e said:

Similar to what MLS does.............and yes it allows a club or team to build right away, obviously if you have a knowledgeable GM in place.

Brett

Reaction score
I can honestly say that I am so excited for this to happen. As much as I would love to have a name that I personally think is AMAZING.... I am perfectly happy just getting an NHL team at all.

ballhawks12

Reaction score
Bobblehead":12aervqu said:

:ditto:

However, I can't help but wonder if we shouldn't temper expectations. Is being playoff contenders right off the bat realistic? I mean, I'm fairly optimistic as the NHL expansion draft is favorable, and as you said, we have to draft right. But I can't get all the (obviously wrong) articles out of my head that said Vegas would be horrendous post-expansion draft. Hopefully we'll be more actual VGK than the early predictions.

OP
OP
Bobblehead

Bobblehead

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":2d18qhzm said:
kobebryant":2d18qhzm said:

I really like the other 2 and really dont like this one because it looks like Seattle is spelled backwards.

Looks like a butt fumble waiting to happen.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
seaky12":3nr57s40 said:
Bobblehead":3nr57s40 said:

However, I can't help but wonder if we shouldn't temper expectations. Is being playoff contenders right off the bat realistic? I mean, I'm fairly optimistic as the NHL expansion draft is favorable, and as you said, we have to draft right. But I can't get all the (obviously wrong) articles out of my head that said Vegas would be horrendous post-expansion draft. Hopefully we'll be more actual VGK than the early predictions.
I’d happy with just a competitive team, if they made the playoffs I’d be ecstatic.

OP
OP
Bobblehead

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1p2y9rnd said:
seaky12":1p2y9rnd said:
Bobblehead":1p2y9rnd said:

I’d happy with just a competitive team, if they made the playoffs I’d be ecstatic.

Yep, a competitive team would be great and all I expect.

original poster

Reaction score
I'm really excited about this.

Do I remember hearing that the team will likely start in 2020?

Latest posts