New era of QBs?

beasthawk

Reaction score
I had this conservation with my brother a few years ago, I told him (in 2008) how much I loved mobile QBs (Vick) and he then asked me,"name one mobile qb that one a SuperBowl.." (big ben was closest that I could come up with)I stalled and realized that won never had before. Are we in a new era with the immergence of our beloved Russ and RG3 could one or both of these guys win a ring in the next 5 years? Or will the pocket passer prevail? I think the answer is yes, (russ) but it could also open the door for other mobile kids to enter the NFL? Will we see our first SB winning mobile qb this year?? Is there someone I missed ??

Starrman44

Reaction score
I would consider Steve Young to be mobile. I would also consider John Elway mobile (but he was older when he won).

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Steve Young.

You win.

John Elway.

You win again.

Brett Favre.

.....get the picture?

By the way, Big Ben was the very definition of a mobile QB. As far as what you missed, apparently multiple SBs over decades.

Are you confusing "mobile" with "run first"? Because then, no, Tim Tebow will likely not win a SB.

Sac

Reaction score
Super Bowl wins by mobile quarterbacks is a stupid way to decide whether or not mobile quarterbacks are valuable.

For a long long time the "mobile quarterback" that came into the NFL were guys that were just pure athletes in college and not true passers, and there weren't all that many of them that went on to become starters in the NFL. And then there's the whole point that a team that wins the Super Bowl is generally a solid all around team.

How many Super Bowl wins did Dan Marino win? Exactly. And he was probably the best pure passer, with the quickest release in the history of the NFL.

The "dual threat" quarterback is only dangerous if that quarterback truly is a dual threat. These quarterbacks today, Russell, RGIII, Luck, Tannehill...they are that.

Mick063

Reaction score
Fran Tarkenton

He was the earliest mobile quarterback I can remember watching on television. Russell Wilson is Fran's carbon copy with respect to "scrambling". He played in a couple Super Bowls.

Roger Staubach was very mobile. "Roger the Dodger" won a Super Bowl.
Terry Bradshaw was very mobile in his younger years.
Billy Kilmer was mostly a running back in college though he did play some QB. (Threw for 1,000 and rushed for 800 in his senior season). Converted to QB full time in the pros. Can't recall any other player doing that with success.

Sammy Baugh was an incredible athlete. I honestly believe he could not only play, but star in the modern NFL.
During his rookie season in 1937, Baugh played quarterback, defensive back, and punter, set an NFL record for completions with 91 in 218 attempts and threw for a league-high 1,127 yards.[9] He led the Redskins to the NFL Championship game against the Chicago Bears, where he finished 17 of 33 for 335 yards and his second-half touchdown passes of 55, 78 and 33 yards gave Washington a 28–21 victory.[2] His 335 passing yards remained the most ever in a playoff game by any rookie QB in NFL history until Russell Wilson broke the record in 2012.

Bert Jones, son of Hall of Famer "Dub" Jones was very mobile and probably the most under rated quarterback of his era.
The widely respected scout Ernie Accorsi is quoted as saying that if Bert Jones had played under different circumstances, he probably would have been the greatest player ever. John Riggins has been quoted as saying Bert was the toughest competitor he has ever witnessed. On the eve of Super Bowl XLII New England Patriots head coach Bill Belichick, in discussing his choices for the greatest quarterbacks of all time, described Jones as the best "pure passer" he ever saw.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
Then there are the guys like McNabb, McNair, Plummer, and Kaepernick who came up a game or two short. It's hard to say whether those teams would have been better off with a comparably skillful pure pocket-passer but in our case (and lets face it, we only really care about the championship capability of a mobile QB because we currently have one) we likely wouldn't be better off. This is due to our otherwise road-grating offensive line's struggles with their overall pass protection and our otherwise fantastic WR corps struggle with getting initial separation. With pass-rushers seeping through on a regular basis and fewer receiving options in the early development of plays, a pure pocket-passer might not survive a full season on our team, let alone compete for a championship.

Seahawk Mike

Reaction score
Mobility is extremely important when you factor in how defenses have changed over time.

You do not need read option QB to be successful but if he can run it from time to time....that's great

AVOID A RUSH and MAKE A PLAY UNDER DURESS should be the hall mark of a great QB in today's game....

Latest posts